Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd August 2016, 12:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Review: Ford Ecosport EcoBoost 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
I think I am slightly panned towards Ecosport Diesel.
Contrary to the good advice of others, I'm going to recommend you go for the diesel. My dad has a diesel EcoSport and I have the EcoBoost, so I'm able to offer some comparisons.
  • The diesel EcoSport offers better within-city driveability. On the other hand, the EcoBoost has a tall second gear, so at very slow speeds (like after crossing a speed breaker) you can't comfortably pull away in second and have to down-shift to first. This is not the case with the diesel, where you can move away in second. I presume that Trivandrum traffic is similar to that of most large cities in India, so the diesel will be better in such circumstances.
  • Both the EcoBoost and diesel have a noticeable boost threshold (incorrectly referred to as turbo lag), but the EcoBoost has a higher boost threshold, which is more annoying. The turbo kick doesn't come in until around 1600-1800 rpm, and combined with the taller gearing in 2nd and 3rd gears means that you'll have to keep downshifting more often to keep engine rpm above this threshold. Having driven up the ghats to Nilgiris, I can say that if you are forced to slow down significantly (e.g. behind a slow-moving lorry) or stop on ghat roads, the EcoBoost requires more effort than the diesel to get moving. The diesel has its peak torque at about 1750 rpm, but even lower than that it has very usable torque. Note that the 1.5 petrol will have no such problems at all since its naturally aspirated, but is otherwise a somewhat boring engine, so I'll leave it out of this comparison.
  • On the highway, the diesel is good and fast, and you can easily achieve and maintain triple-digit speeds. You won't have any complaints with the diesel, and it offers good fun to drive. However, the EcoBoost is better, and is much more fun on the highway - it accelerates faster than the diesel, and since it revs higher, it allows you to have more fun within a single gear.
  • Your running is low, and that is one reason to consider a petrol instead of diesel. However, bear in mind that the gap between EcoBoost and diesel is not too large, it is only about Rs. 40,000 (and is not as significant as the gap between the 1.5 petrol and diesel which is over Rs. 70,000). So, while you pay a premium for the diesel EcoSport, you also pay a premium for the EcoBoost, compared to the 1.5 petrol engine. And in terms of fuel costs, the diesel EcoSport will be cheaper to run since it offers good mileage even when driven hard. With the EcoBoost, the more fun you have, the worse mileage it gives.

I've written more about the EcoBoost performance and mileage in my ownership review, so take a look at that one too, to help you (or confuse you ). Also, look at the EcoSport review thread for more discussions of EcoBoost vs. diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Kindly advice me on the behavior of Ecosport Diesel on open highways. As I am currently owns a Fiesta, comparisons may please be made between the two.
The 1.5 diesel in the EcoSport is more powerful and more refined that the 1.4 diesel in the Fiesta you have. In all, it is a superior engine. Where the 1.4 diesel would feel underpowered on the highway, the 1.5 diesel doesn't have any such problems - it is powerful and comfortable on the highway.

Last edited by arunphilip : 3rd August 2016 at 13:09.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Contrary to the good advice of others, I'm going to recommend you go for the diesel. My dad has a diesel EcoSport and I have the EcoBoost, so I'm able to offer some comparisons.
Arun, great comparo there. Just curious, which version of diesel does your dad have? 90HP or 99HP? Asking since I rarely come across detailed performance description of the new 99HP diesel in Ecosport.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Arun, great comparo there. Just curious, which version of diesel does your dad have? 90HP or 99HP? Asking since I rarely come across detailed performance description of the new 99HP diesel in Ecosport.
My dad has the 90 HP (i.e. older) diesel, not the newer and improved diesel.

People who've driven both have not found any significant difference, for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
Drove the old & new TDCi Titanium trims back to back last Saturday at the dealership while my vehicle was being washed. I found no noticeable difference in the power & ride quality, on both internal & highway roads.
The new diesel has people ga-ga over it because its a scorcher in the significantly lighter Figo and Aspire (which weigh about 200 kg less than the EcoSport).
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:16   #79
BHPian

With due respect to Mr. arjab and Mr. BB 311, wholehearted thanks to Mr. arunphilip for the efforts undertaken by him for clarifying all my doubts. Thank you all my dear friends. Keep the spirit....
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote