Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th March 2014, 12:43   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Roads in HP are designed to kill your suspension, so i needed a crossover that rides well and has robust build quality. I hope I don't regret the buying decision
You won't regret. Go for 85ps, it climbs effortlessly. But remember it's a people mover and not designed to haul load.

I say this because the platform for Duster comes from a sedan.

The suspensions are not hard, but the GC helps. It is a crossover in that department too. Not as soft as a Honda and not as hard as Mahindra.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 20:32   #77
BHPian

Default Re: The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL

Yes I chose the 85 ps RXL+ model. I think it will satisfy my needs. I don't really need the power of 110 because my highway travels are limited and I hardly cross 120 kph in a SUV. Will be getting the delivery in a month and start an ownership thread. your inputs would always be welcome.
vibhavraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 21:32   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Yes I chose the 85 ps RXL+ model. I think it will satisfy my needs. I don't really need the power of 110 because my highway travels are limited and I hardly cross 120 kph in a SUV. Will be getting the delivery in a month and start an ownership thread. your inputs would always be welcome.
Congrats Raghav. Welcome to the Gang of Dusters not the official one thou. It will be good to see an ownership report from the hills. Please add in lots of pics.

85ps has good power at low rev so you dont' have to hit the pedal to the metal. It takes the inclines without a scream.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:58   #79
BHPian

Yes Hillman. Its a gang alright . I just received a word that the duster may be delivered to me in a week or two. So i guess i would have to get ready with PDI checklist and list of accessories I want. TBHP is already rich in info on duster thanks to people like you so that makes my job that much easier. More than that i also have to learn how to post properly on TBHP forum. Still a newbie
vibhavraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 00:44   #80
BHPian

So, the Grey Hound made it for its 2nd Service (10,000kms) this week.
As I was not in a position to take it all the way to Trident Whitefield, I booked the Pick-up and Drop facility. They charge 500/-+tax for it.

I had gone on a 10days vacation to Coorg and Kunoor. covered around 1000kms during the week.

For the service, I had complained of door squeak and check for low fuel efficiency.

The door alignment was done for the squeak.
For the low FE, the SA mentioned they have done reset and tuning of sensor through computer. Not sure what that means. Can they change the parameters?
I need to test them out as I didnt have the opportunity to take the car for a spin.

2nd Service cost: Rs.4770/-
Interior cleaning: Rs.2200/-
Pick Up & Drop: Rs.560/-
---------------------
Total Bill: Rs.7530/-
---------------------

The main cost is Air filter and Oil change.

2nd Service Bill details:
The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL-service2a.jpg

The Grey Hound: My Renault Duster 85 RXL-service2b.jpg

The running costs and FE is maintained in this spreadsheet.

Last edited by HillMan : 31st May 2014 at 00:55.
Old 11th June 2014, 21:35   #81
BHPian

It was a regular second service (10k) with a complaint of squeaky doors. They did door alignment and the squeak is gone for now.

The other complaint I had was with my mileage. I know the feel of the engine is the same as I drove the first day, but something in me needed a reassurance that things are alright. I get around 16 on the highway. With ARAI claims of 20kmpl and my second service which changed engine oil and air filter, I was expecting better mileage. But my last few trips within city showed 12kmpl.

The SA at Renault Whitefield (Mr.Tyagraju) readily accepted for a mileage test which I got done today. He was joined by Mr.Deena Joyappa, CR Manager, who took the reins of my Duster. He was surprised with my figures. So off we went cutting through the worst ever Wednesday traffic I have seen at noon in Bangalore. The track chosen was the Bangalore-Kolar highway up to the toll plaza.

The trip meter was reset to Zero on KR Puram hanging bridge. The traffic was moderate and few large pot holes as a welcome start. The drive was smooth with gear changes coming between 1800-2000 rpm. The trip meter was reset and the mileage started showing 9kmpl after a short drive, must be the standard 40meters before the trip computer starts its calculations. The A/C was On all the time. There was no attempt to turn off the AC. We had to be comfortable with Bangalore noon. Mr.Joyappa was confident he could return a good mileage and kept the RPM steady at 2000 most of the time. Speedo hinting around 85kmph. The KMPL started a steady northward journey with few dips in traffic and road conditions. Finally it peaked at 23.1kmpl at one point nearing the toll plaza. Yup you read it right, 23kmpl. I should have taken a snap on my phone. I was greedy and let go of the opportunity. The return journey wasn't very inspiring with stand still traffic and the overall dropped to 18.8kmpl by the time we reached the service center.

Will this trip bring a change in my driving behaviour, time will tell. Guess I am ok for now. Duster is a fun car after all.

Here is the take from the trip:
- Keep a light foot on acceleration.
- Be generous with gear shifts according to speed.
- Change gears when turbo kicks in (1800rpm on 85ps).
- Keep a steady 2000rpm in 5th gear for best overall mileage.

Last edited by HillMan : 11th June 2014 at 21:57.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 10:38   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Will this trip bring a change in my driving behaviour, time will tell. Guess I am ok for now. Duster is a fun car after all.

Here is the take from the trip:
- Keep a light foot on acceleration.
- Be generous with gear shifts according to speed.
- Change gears when turbo kicks in (1800rpm on 85ps).
- Keep a steady 2000rpm in 5th gear for best overall mileage.
A light right foot does matter a lot in Duster 85. Unless for overtaking, I usually don't take the vehicle over 90 kph even on expressways as I find that the vehicle struggles to keep pace with the fast moving traffic; a situation that definitely hurts the mileage. I've felt that driving a Duster 85 at 110 kph requires a lot more throttle input than driving at 90 kph.

Often I do a monthly round trip with family (3 well fed adults and a boot full of luggage) from Guruvayur (Kerala) to Bangalore (~ 500 km drive one way). I constantly get over 21 kpl for the onward journey and over 22 kpl for the return journey. Once when I tried to maintain speeds in 100-120 kph range, the mileage for the trip dropped to 17-18 kpl.

That said, on plains, with a couple of people and light luggage at a light footed 80 kph average, sometimes I get over 24 kpl.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 20:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Once when I tried to maintain speeds in 100-120 kph range, the mileage for the trip dropped to 17-18 kpl.
True. The mileage dip is drastic when you push rpm over 2.5k.
Also in stop and go traffic with speeds below 30kmph I've noticed driving in 2nd-3rd gear trying to keep rpm in 2k range gives above 15kmph. Shifting to 4th and driving at 1000 rpm takes a toll. Must shift from 1st to 2nd immediately, this gear is a guzzler.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
True. The mileage dip is drastic when you push rpm over 2.5k.
2nd-3rd gear trying to keep rpm in 2k range gives above 15kmph.
3rd gear with 15kmph, you will be literally lugging the engine, instead downshift. Never think that driving in lower gears will increase the fuel consumption. I usually use 1st gear in bumper to bumper traffic and continue in that even though I get a very short span to change to 2nd as we need to slow down immediately and have to come back to 1st. In general, I follow one gear less than the required in the slow moving traffic and I have never seen any drop in FE, this helps is less gearshifts.

Quote:
Interior cleaning: Rs.2200/-
Instead, for the same price, I would have bought 8-9 cans of 3M foam wash cans (the same which they have used now) or a good car interior vaccum cleaner + foam wash + an interior cleaning brush or a gallon APC from Megs or something similar and 1Hr of effort.

Also note that Renault have increased the air filter price. Earlier it used to have just the filter (unlike the stock filter which comes with black foam prefilter), Now they are using the stock kinda filter and the price is increased to ~750/-

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 23rd June 2014 at 10:19.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
3rd gear with 15kmph, you will be literally lugging the engine, instead downshift.
Sorry. Typo on my side. I was meaning to say 15 kmpl. Talking of mileage out there.

Quote:
Instead, for the same price, I would have bought 8-9 cans of 3M foam wash cans (the same which they have used now) or a good car interior vaccum cleaner + foam wash + an interior cleaning brush or a gallon APC from Megs or something similar and 1Hr of effort.
Agreed #CMS. I usually do the cleaning myself over weekend. Last month was hectic. I had to avail the pickup and drop service as well.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 07:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
What I liked apart from (#1-7):
- The boot space can expand into space for kids. Baby seat available as accessory, can seat two kids. (Future expandability)
- The wheel and body look very proportionate. Very few vehicles on our roads look that way.
- For some reason I liked the stupid ergonomics. Felt very practical. Was used to it by the time I drove home from showroom.
- The road presence. People tend to maintain safe distance.
- The presentation and demo by sales person.
- The floor of boot space is solid metal as the wheel is housed below. No weak spots on cardboard over wheels of sedan.
- Looks big but can get into some tight spots. Turning radius is small compared to its dimensions.
- One of the few vehicles that look good when dirty. Less cleaning.
- No turbo lag, drives like a petrol.
- The 85ps is a lean mean machine with enough power on the go.
- Trunk space is solid sheet metal as the spare wheel goes under. You can keep heavy load and also seat children without worrying about the board over the spare wheel, as in cars.
- AC performance is per my liking. It chills pretty well.
- The large window and light interiors give the car a very large and roomy feel. Actually feels larger than it actually is.

[/url].
Hope you are enjoying your Duster. In the +ves listed out above, you have not mentioned about it's excellent ride quality or have I missed it somewhere?

You have also Tdied Linea which seems to be the best riding car in this price range. Can you please compare the ride quality of both Linea & your car.
Chitta Pradhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 08:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
A light right foot does matter a lot in Duster 85. Unless for overtaking, I usually don't take the vehicle over 90 kph even on expressways as I find that the vehicle struggles to keep pace with the fast moving traffic; a situation that definitely hurts the mileage. I've felt that driving a Duster 85 at 110 kph requires a lot more throttle input than driving at 90 kph.
This is true for all cars. Slow & gradual acceleration make a huge difference to FE. When I drive consciously for FE ( read slow acceleration, anticipate breaking, speed 80-90 kmph etc), I get an easy 22 km/lit on highways ( TFM). Same route & little spirited driving- FE drops to 17.5- 18 km/lit. You are getting a similar kind of FE from a SUV, that's excellent.
Chitta Pradhan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 09:32   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
You have also Tdied Linea which seems to be the best riding car in this price range. Can you please compare the ride quality of both Linea & your car.
My pleasure

The 2013 Linea MJD, the one I TDed, has the best overall ride quality. I am guilty of driving the demo car the way I did. I have tried the braking, acceleration, broken tar and wavy mud roads. I was amazed the way this car moves without scraping the underbelly. The overworking suspensions kept the car going steady with minimal body rolls. The suspension is too good.

The Turbo lag seemed common across all cars in the price range. Duster 85 was the only one that didn't show such characteristics. Being used to Petrol cars, it instantly appealed to me. And off-course, the kids were sold for Dusters looks already.

Comparing the two cars on ride quality. I'd say both are great. Dusters well balanced suspension have a long travel, which can dismiss large road humps and pot holes with ease. Linea is a bit stiffer at slow speeds, but the body roll on Linea is minimal at all time.

Last edited by HillMan : 25th June 2014 at 09:38.
Old 29th June 2014, 12:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The Duster pulled steady with no fuss and had enough power for quick overtakes. I was keeping rpm below 2500 because my car was still to go for first service with below 2K on the odo. The temperature peaked up to 6 bars at one point. You see enough smoking cars standing on road sides cooling down with bonnet open.

Google navigation was the worst companion you can ever have for these trips. It is good for highways and long distance maps. Waze was amazing in Ooty and knew a lot of roads. Waze sometimes will not calculate routes more than 25mile, so best suited for cities and towns.

Hi HillMan,

I am a new duster 85RXL owner and came across your thread. Just wanted to know some more on your opinion on the pick up during your terrain. Was you vehicle fully loaded during this trip? Planning for a high range trip and was curious to know if the Duster 85 pulls along well on high range without any fuss.
deepeshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 13:16   #90
BHPian

Default Re: The Grey Hound (my Duster 85 RXL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Now after a few kilometers on the odo, you can go for a remap to make it close to 115 bhp, then you get best of both worlds.
Hi motomaverick,

Could you pl elaborate on what kind of remap are you referring to? Would like to definitely improve upon the power, especially on the highways.
deepeshh is offline   Reply With Quote