Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st January 2015, 13:53   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Update : 28200kms

Crossed the 28000 km through a Ooty trip over the long weekend. Total distance covered was 1260kms aproximately.

Performance of the vehicle was good. Felt more comfortable holding 3k rpm levels on 5th gear.

The weather in Ooty was quite cold. Every day morning when I started the Storme, noticed that the Temperature indicator was blank for some time till the engine warmed up and post that the ambient temperature shows up.

Also got to experience the famous "lack of low end torque" phenomenon seen in many TCed diesel vehicles. There was a moderately steep incline I had to take and there was no run up to this incline. So essentially I had to stop and then take this incline but when I did , the Storme was completely bogged down and was just not going up the incline. Amidst strange looks from onlookers ( especially because a Bolero full of big fat men had just gone up the same incline very casually ), I backed the Storme a bit onto the approach road and had to revv it up to 1800-2000rpm to get going.

This was a truly revealing experience because I have never felt the Storme gasp for breath so badly ever before. Its as if a very healthy man suddenly falls flat on the floor on his face !!

I havent checked FE in the recent past - need to do this soon.

Have 3 more long trips coming up within Feb which should take the beast well past the 30,000 km mark.

Also coming up is the important 30,000 km service.

As mentioned in the official review thread, I am awaiting the Front shock absorber to arrive at the dealership to get the replacement done
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 15:08   #257
BHPian

Default Re: Update : 28200kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Crossed the 28000 km through a Ooty trip over the long weekend. Total distance covered was 1260kms aproximately.

Performance of the vehicle was good. Felt more comfortable holding 3k rpm levels on 5th gear.
Good to see the beast munching miles quickly. 3k rpm? Safari easily does 100kmph at 2k rpm. At 3k, you were ripping her apart. What was the speed at 3k? Never tried that in my Safari. Very very comfortable and satisfied at 2k, 5th gear, 100kmph and Fuel economy.

Drive safe.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 19:29   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
At 3k, you were ripping her apart. What was the speed at 3k?
Are you trying to get me an infraction ? Actually the speed is very sane at this RPM and do-able in good open NH type roads that one normally comes across in TamilNadu
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 10:29   #259
Senior - BHPian

One more thing i noticed during this trip was some vehicles like Duster,Fortuner and a Endy were carrying some luggage directly on the roof tied up with ropes on to the roof rails. Was wondering if this has any drawbacks and if not why a occassional user like me would require a roof carrier
Old 24th January 2015, 12:44   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
narayan : .. carrying some luggage directly on the roof ... Was wondering if this has any drawbacks ..
It has the usual drawbacks associated with high Centre of Gravity (hence lower stability), high wind resistance (hence lower FE).
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 18:33   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It has the usual drawbacks associated with high Centre of Gravity (hence lower stability), high wind resistance (hence lower FE).
Agree but why then use a roof carrier ? Why not tie it up with the rails.
Old 24th January 2015, 19:29   #262
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Agree but why then use a roof carrier ? Why not tie it up with the rails.
In 2010, when I bought my Safari, I was told by the SA that the DICOR roof can carry a maximum of 100KG beyond which you would need a Roof carrier.
For me, 100KG is more than enough and till today, I have loaded twice the roof with a couple of Big suitcases [never crossed 100KG] and no issues with travel in any manner.
Of course, I dont go beyond 110-120 anyway.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 07:05   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
For me, 100KG is more than enough and till today, I have loaded twice the roof with a couple of Big suitcases [never crossed 100KG] and no issues with travel in any manner.
Of course, I dont go beyond 110-120 anyway.

Prem.
Same here. So essentially around 5k wasted on a roof carrier :(
Old 25th January 2015, 08:57   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
narayan : Agree but why then use a roof carrier ? Why not tie it up with the rails.
A Roof carrier gives a better structure to place the luggage on - and to secure it.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 14:49   #265
Senior - BHPian

Odo reads at 28750. Gave the vehicle for 30,000 kms service along with below fixes

1) Replacement of leaking RHS front shock absorber
2) Fix creaking sounds from the rear doors/seats
3) After I recently replaced the entire clutch assembly + cylinders in my Vista, the Storme clutch has started feeling hard in comparison! So have asked them to check that
4) Replacement of the black plastic section of the rear bumper which broke when a bike rear ended the beast on sudden braking

Otherwise no issues. Was recommended to do engine flush/additives like with the previous service but flatly refused. Cost was around Rs2500
Old 8th February 2015, 09:36   #266
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Also got to experience the famous "lack of low end torque" phenomenon seen in many TCed diesel vehicles. There was a moderately steep incline I had to take and there was no run up to this incline. So essentially I had to stop and then take this incline but when I did , the Storme was completely bogged down and was just not going up the incline. Amidst strange looks from onlookers ( especially because a Bolero full of big fat men had just gone up the same incline very casually ), I backed the Storme a bit onto the approach road and had to revv it up to 1800-2000rpm to get going.
I agree with you, I experienced the very same thing on the same road (the hairpin bends when climbing into Ooty), on my Storme. Its quite weird actually, I had to use the first gear on most of the climb, second gear would get the car bogged down, even in first until the tachometer hit 2000rpm there was no go, and then suddenly boom and massive wheel spins and then the car would pull up. I never observed this phenomena on the same road, with my older car, a 2013 Safari 2.2 GX. Its funny because the engine is exactly the same, and the GX was able to take the hair pins in 2 and sometimes 3rd gear that too without excessive revving. Either Tata motors have changed the torque characteristics of the engine or changed the gear ratios, either way the Strorme is excellent everywhere except such steep hill climbs
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 15:13   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I agree with you, I experienced the very same thing on the same road (the hairpin bends when climbing into Ooty), on my Storme. Its quite weird actually, I had to use the first gear on most of the climb, second gear would get the car bogged down, even in first until the tachometer hit 2000rpm there was no go, and then suddenly boom and massive wheel spins and then the car would pull up. I never observed this phenomena on the same road, with my older car, a 2013 Safari 2.2 GX. Its funny because the engine is exactly the same, and the GX was able to take the hair pins in 2 and sometimes 3rd gear that too without excessive revving. Either Tata motors have changed the torque characteristics of the engine or changed the gear ratios, either way the Strorme is excellent everywhere except such steep hill climbs

What you experienced is true. I've done that route in second gear all through in the 2.2 Dicor but the Aria refused to do it.The storme is tuned pretty much like the aria which makes it different than the old dicor which was a raw beast even with the turbo lag it suffered.

The storme has a taller first gear when compared to the 2.2 dicor. Also the other difference is the dual mass flywheel clutch which makes the initial start and gear transitions smoother on regular roads but tries to even out power/torque delivery at times where you need it the most.

The storme will do the ooty hairpins in second gear only if you keep it in the power band for the turbo to kick in, else you have to run it in first.
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 17:11   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Odo reads at 28750. Gave the vehicle for 30,000 kms service along with below fixes

1) Replacement of leaking RHS front shock absorber
2) Fix creaking sounds from the rear doors/seats
3) After I recently replaced the entire clutch assembly + cylinders in my Vista, the Storme clutch has started feeling hard in comparison! So have asked them to check that
4) Replacement of the black plastic section of the rear bumper which broke when a bike rear ended the beast on sudden braking

Otherwise no issues. Was recommended to do engine flush/additives like with the previous service but flatly refused. Cost was around Rs2500
30,000kms service done and pt 1,2 done. For pt 3, TASS decided to change the entire clutch assembly + CRB under warranty. So the clutch is now super light like a brand new car. for Tata warranty policy but a thumbs down for the part quality. Now I dont want this clutch to harden up in another 30,000 kms for sure.

Pt 4. parts still awaited at the TASS. Total service cost was Rs320 out of which Rs150 was un-warranted ( some wax liquid was rubbed inside the car whereas I never asked for it) but didnt bother to raise an issue for this amount.

Took some pictures of the beast after a long long time. Here's one
Attached Thumbnails
Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-20150209_1621161.jpg  

Last edited by narayan : 9th February 2015 at 17:12.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 11:45   #269
Senior - BHPian

Completed a Chennai - Bangalore trip over the weekend. After the 30,000km service, I am seeing a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the vehicle which I nver observed after any earlier service. The beast performed really well in the highways and was holding on to 3000rpm in 5th gear with much greater confidence. Finally I guess the TASS for the alignment right. absolutely straight tracking all along.

Even the uneven stretches of the highway within the 100km range from Chennai were handled really well.

Only thing I need to check is the gravelly sound that one gets from the diesel engine when one accelerates from around 1500rpm onwards at 5th gear has marginally increased. Sounds to me like something loose inside the dashboard. Need to get this checked.
Old 7th April 2015, 18:29   #270
Senior - BHPian

Odo reads at around 32000kms. Did a Chennai -Parambikulam trip over last week. Brilliant highway performance. Triple digit speeds are now much more confidence inspiring. There is definitely an improvement in the engine smoothness and the suspension also gets settled better.

The Storme continues to attract a lot of attention partly due to its good looks and partly due to the fact that it sells so less that the common man still wonders which vehicle this is and gives curious looks.

On the way back, we had 3 kids having a ball of a time in the rear of the car ( with the middle row folded forward ) for a full 11 hours ! Started from Parambikulam at 10am and reached Chennai by around 9pm. Took 2 breaks. All through the journey the kids never complained of any bounciness or nauseating feeling or anything although they were essentially sitting on a bed laid over the floor pan.

Haven't checked FE for a long long time. Will have to do this to just take stock of how much the beast is sipping.