Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:50   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
What exactly happened? Stall means did it switch off completely and you had to restart? Or just vehicle stopped moving and you had to engage the handbrake and clutch?

I was on second gear and when i came to standstill thanks to an auto, i slotted to first and tried to climb and that is when engine stalled(I know its not fair if i was on second gear) But once i restarted, again it did not move even on first.

Yesterday i again had a chance to repeat the same but this did not reproduce. We were 8 adults, my kid and an infant and wanted to go to a nearby mall. I suggested take two cars but my father in law insisted we can squeeze into one car and go together. And boy i was surprised to see that the car took everyone in comfort.


This is how my car took 10 heads:

Front: Myself driving(5.7) + FIL(5.7)
Middle: 3 adults(2 six footers+ one lady 5.6)
Last: 3 ladies(2 of them 5.6, one 5.1) and 2 kids( aged 5 and 1.5)


I still cannot believe last row had 5 people sitting and gossiping.
And the best part was there was no difference in the way car pulled. It just pulls the same way when i am driving alone even with the load and AC running. I came back mighty impressed and the car served its purpose of occasionally carrying more people more than 4 times in a month now with ease.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:32   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

whoa! 8 adults and 2 kids. This is the USP of Ertiga which you cannot get in duster/ecosport.
BTW, when you exchanged your Swift with Ertiga, did you get any loyalty bonus?
ksaurabh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:57   #63
BHPian
 
drkritik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 89
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I was on second gear and when i came to standstill thanks to an auto, i slotted to first and tried to climb and that is when engine stalled(I know its not fair if i was on second gear)

This is how my car took 10 heads:

Front: Myself driving(5.7) + FIL(5.7)
Middle: 3 adults(2 six footers+ one lady 5.6)
Last: 3 ladies(2 of them 5.6, one 5.1) and 2 kids
Wow 8 adults, that's great.
Yes you're right, it's not fair to say engine stalled in second gear, with myself it's in the third gear !

We need to recheck again and see if it repeats in 1st gear also.

I have finished my first highway drive, which included a stretch of 20 km with 7 occupants mostly off road like situation. A stretch suitable only for 4x4 vehicles.
Everyone was pretty comfortable and vehicle pulled like breeze. Luckily I didn't get stuck anywhere so felt very proud after the drive. No the engine never stalled and gave no reason to complain. Very satisfied with the performance.
drkritik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:46   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaurabh21 View Post
whoa! 8 adults and 2 kids. This is the USP of Ertiga which you cannot get in duster/ecosport.
BTW, when you exchanged your Swift with Ertiga, did you get any loyalty bonus?
There is no loyalty bonus when i bought(not yet), but they had exchange bonus of 15K. Difference between the two is, Loyalty bonus is given if you upgrade from a maruti to maruti(same brand) but you need not sell the car to them. But for exchange bonus its when we sell to same dealer where they quote lower rate and then add 15K exchange bonus. Loyalty bonus is better than exchange bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
I have finished my first highway drive, which included a stretch of 20 km with 7 occupants mostly off road like situation. A stretch suitable only for 4x4 vehicles.
Everyone was pretty comfortable and vehicle pulled like breeze. Luckily I didn't get stuck anywhere so felt very proud after the drive. No the engine never stalled and gave no reason to complain. Very satisfied with the performance.
Glad to see you enjoy your drives. I too hear the feedback from my passengers about the suspension setup. Its comfortable and the Ground clearance makes it a boon too.

My wife and dad wanted to try the last seat and they both feel its pretty good there even for longer drives except for the getting in and out part.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:21   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai/Pune
Posts: 316
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Rajshenoy: I was closely following all your discussions in all the threads because i was also in a dilemma whether to go for Etios or Ertiga. Your thread removed all the doubts once for all and today i booked Ertiga VDi. Colour is going to Serene Blue. They have told the vehicle should be ready for delivery in 2 weeks time. Thanks for this awesome review and your detailed analysis of other sedans.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:58   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Rajshenoy: I was closely following all your discussions in all the threads because i was also in a dilemma whether to go for Etios or Ertiga. Your thread removed all the doubts once for all and today i booked Ertiga VDi. Colour is going to Serene Blue. They have told the vehicle should be ready for delivery in 2 weeks time. Thanks for this awesome review and your detailed analysis of other sedans.
I am so glad if my review is helping perspective buyers clear their doubts.

Etios is a very good car except for the snob factor. It is the best option currently for someone who will drive a lot and does not want to compromise on the ride and handling as well. Great FE and low maintenance is a bonus too.

Both Ertiga and Etios are winners based on the individuals need
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 01:26   #67
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Many people on the thread write their reviews and many write insights for others. Your review is from the second category.

since the time I decided to let go my Cruze and buy a new car - I have been following your thread and have read it ample of times. I must say your review and Rajain's review are really really enlighting. I am sure I will end up buying the Ertiga - but still not able to decide between the ZDI and VDI. Will keep you guys posted.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 19:06   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Update: 1200 km

Completed first free service and as expected the bill came to 0.
Went for the full floor mats and art leather seat cover.

Power: It surely doesn't feel underpowered for city driving and i am enjoying driving in Bangalore traffic. I am yet to cross 2K RPM and am pretty satisfied with the torque at 1500-1800rpm itself.

People mover: Now this is the USP of this vehicle and it is doing it in style. I have become the official chauffeur for any office lunch outings because i can stuff 7 well fed IT professionals all together, reducing one car. I have carried more than 5 people at least 6-7 occasions in last one month.

Mileage update:
Bad roads, Bad rains, Bad traffic and Bad timing. I have been spending double the time on road due to so many issues in Bangalore. and since i am only driving inside city bumper to bumper traffic, FE seems to be taking a beating. Around 80 ltrs for 1150 kms translates to 14+ kmpl.

Long drives:
As it is raining pretty badly and due to raining of work at office as well, I am unable to take the car out on highway still. Waiting for Dasara holidays to start for a 1000km trip towards the coastal Karnataka.

Any niggles:
None so far, Maruti has surely improved quality. No rattles even on bad roads(which are plenty in Bangalore).
Audio is decent for my liking(not a big audiophile) Bass is excellent for a door speaker but the voice clarity is missing on occasions like rains. So i require a pair of tweeters next.

The engine bay is pretty open and i could feel some stones hitting the metal due to very bad roads in Bangalore. Not sure if it is the engine compartment or just the wheel area.

I am even happy with the stock lighting. It is not very bright but adequate.

Seat cover:
Went for custom made art leather seat covers(non branded) Quality and stitching looks and feels premium. and i believe the choice of colors complement my cars color.

Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!-img_5728.jpg
Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!-camerazoom20130907173605536.jpg
The grain pattern is exactly same as the material used on the Ertiga plastics. and the beige shade is exactly same.

Also went for steering cover in matching shades. I am loving the interiors now.

Flooring:
I wanted to do floor lamination but saw one team-bhp thread and went for similar material. so its like full floor mat.
Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!-camerazoom20130907173503249.jpg

Only issue is the crappy MGA floor mats are so slippery on this floor mat. This is a problem especially for the driver since the mats can slip when we are doing sudden breaking.

solution: Did some search and ordered velcro tapes from ebay(check here). With this the mat does not slip anymore.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 03:26   #69
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
[b]
Attachment 1138545

Only issue is the crappy MGA floor mats are so slippery on this floor mat. This is a problem especially for the driver since the mats can slip when we are doing sudden breaking.

solution: Did some search and ordered velcro tapes from ebay(check here). With this the mat does not slip anymore.
I must say the interiors have become really interesting with the choice of colour that you have used. They compliment each other really well.

I am interested in the mats that you have ordered, can you please tell me the source of the mats so that I can order some. Also did you install these mats yourself as a DIY or was it precut.

Thanks.
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 06:23   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post

I must say the interiors have become really interesting with the choice of colour that you have used. They compliment each other really well.

I am interested in the mats that you have ordered, can you please tell me the source of the mats so that I can order some. Also did you install these mats yourself as a DIY or was it precut.

Thanks.
Kailash
Its not easy to DIY with this. This is similar to floor lamination difference being this is not a transparent sheet. Its a pretty thick vinyl sheet that is custom cut. All the seats need to be removed during installation.

Check with your service center or accessory guy who does seat covers.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 22:28   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 455
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Update: 1200 km

Completed first free service and as expected the bill came to 0.
Went for the full floor mats and art leather seat cover.

Power: It surely doesn't feel underpowered for city driving and i am enjoying driving in Bangalore traffic. I am yet to cross 2K RPM and am pretty satisfied with the torque at 1500-1800rpm itself.

People mover: Now this is the USP of this vehicle and it is doing it in style. I have become the official chauffeur for any office lunch outings because i can stuff 7 well fed IT professionals all together, reducing one car. I have carried more than 5 people at least 6-7 occasions in last one month.

Mileage update:
Bad roads, Bad rains, Bad traffic and Bad timing. I have been spending double the time on road due to so many issues in Bangalore. and since i am only driving inside city bumper to bumper traffic, FE seems to be taking a beating. Around 80 ltrs for 1150 kms translates to 14+ kmpl.

Long drives:
As it is raining pretty badly and due to raining of work at office as well, I am unable to take the car out on highway still. Waiting for Dasara holidays to start for a 1000km trip towards the coastal Karnataka.

Any niggles:
None so far, Maruti has surely improved quality. No rattles even on bad roads(which are plenty in Bangalore).


Seat cover:
Went for custom made art leather seat covers(non branded) Quality and stitching looks and feels premium. and i believe the choice of colors complement my cars color.

The grain pattern is exactly same as the material used on the Ertiga plastics. and the beige shade is exactly same..
How much did these seat covers cost? They are looking great
saurabhkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 22:35   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
How much did these seat covers cost? They are looking great
Thanks. I paid around 7500rs. Did not bargain much because I personally know these people since i am servicing my car there since 6 years. It is way better than the MGA cover which they sell for 6.5K

I had paid around 4.5K for my swift seat covers 6 years back. And Ertiga has one extra row to cover(plus its been 6 years of inflation) Got steering cover free.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:49   #73
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Hi Raj,

How much did you pay for the floor mats and what did you tell the accessories shop.

Regards,
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 07:39   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,847
Thanked: 624 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Raj,

How much did you pay for the floor mats and what did you tell the accessories shop.

Regards,
Kailash
I paid around 4K for the mats and got it installed at my MASS(They get some guy to do this, and he did not disclose that guys detail)

From what i read online including this forum as well, Vinyl mat costs bit more than regular lamination/vinyl sheets. Probably because its much thicker. He showed me two types and the thinner one costs around 2.5K. I went for the thicker one because it feels rugged and may not tear.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 08:20   #75
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default Re: Dusky Brown Ertiga VDi: How my Suzuki got tanned & stretched!

Thanks for the info rajshenoy, will visit the MASS today and see if they can help.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks