Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th November 2016, 19:42   #106

Default Re: Pre-owned Hyundai Tucson: The initiation of Ms. Tooky-san

Strange what people do and why? Thanks to your patience and love for the frog you could fix.
Last month, some one removed few letters from the label - One letter from Hyundai and two from Tucson :(
I don't know if I can source somewhere. I searched online and no luck. Any leads?
suryakamal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quandary, quandary, quandary.
I had more or less made up my mind to sell the Tucson and the fiesta.
The fiesta is not getting much running, and I cannot stand letting her go to the ground. However, my wife has started driving it, and the ford is a finicky beast. I know how to handle her, but as soon as the driving style changes, she throws a fit. Since its a school pick and drop, I dont want my wife to get stuck somewhere with an angry car and a slowly-getting-pissed 3 year old. There is an i10 grand thing that she will be using in some days. Thats another story.

I was looking for a 2011-13 storme and found some for about 6-8 lacs.
The plan is to sell both, and get the storme.
Madness begins. In my weekend trip to lansdowne, I found myself smiling on many an occasion, it was just a such a gentle, brutish drive!
Should I sell of the fiesta, get maybe 1-1.5 lacs for it and inject that into the Tucson?
Remember, the tooky is delhi registered in 2005. Is it worth it?
She drives beautifully, and all niggles are minor. But the waiting period for parts is a bit too much now. A standard wait for parts starts from a week to month. So I think the Safari will be easier to maintain around the country. Space wise, the Tucson has more as far as seating goes.
Exclusivity, nothing like it(unfortunate at times)
What to do??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryakamal View Post
Strange what people do and why? Thanks to your patience and love for the frog you could fix.
Last month, some one removed few letters from the label - One letter from Hyundai and two from Tucson :(
I don't know if I can source somewhere. I searched online and no luck. Any leads?
Let me ask my mech if he can source it. I would suggest OE only. The aftermarket things become black in absolutely no time.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:29   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Exclusivity, nothing like it(unfortunate at times)
What to do??????
If you think sensibly, it might be the right time to move to a "mainstream" car. There are two uncertainties, one is it being 11+ year old and the second is the long wait for parts. Especially, if you have gone out for a long trip and you face a breakdown, you won't get the right parts at the right time. So, Storme makes a better sense.

Might I suggest another idea, especially for your Fiesta. How about selling this one and buying another pre-owned but relatively newer (lesser run) example of the same car. You can get one by investing hardly a lakh over the price for your Fiesta. You can look at the T-Jet too. In this way, you will be rotating your garage with newer but pre-owned cars every 3-4 years. And you are saved from the depreciation hit too.
PS: Your idea of a Storme is along the above lines.

PPS: A couple of days back, I appreciated the way you maintained these rare but wonderful cars and here I am supporting/suggesting the idea of replacing them.
Like it is rightly said, you have to move on.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th November 2016 at 10:34. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 10:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Especially, if you have gone out for a long trip and you face a breakdown, you won't get the right parts at the right time.
That is precisely what I worry.
The tooky has been fantastically reliable, and I travel a lot. The one time it broke down, it was in delhi But what if?

As for the fiesta, I will not be replacing her, since the i10 is coming in as the second car, exclusively for the missus. Migrating the ecosystem between cars takes a long time. Sunglasses, bottles, ipods, pendrives, etc etc. This is why she remains parked for a week, and then gets to run for about 2 days, before the tooky gets taken out again.
I have fixed both cars up as much as they can be, but I do think its time to explore. One of the points of a used car garage is that you can sell off without worryng too much about dep etc.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote