Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2014, 19:28   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Will let you know when the pads get put on. For now some shots by a friend..
Hey Prithwi !!That WRC bumper is superb. Where did you procure it from and what is the cost ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 20:06   #227
BHPian

Procured thru a buddy at vw and autopsyche. Pretty expensive but worth every penny.~38k due to high exchange rate plus shipping. Autopsyche has a second set.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2014, 12:37   #228
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Armrest is a straight fit, no modification needed. I got mine from VAG tune but now there are a lot of other vendors offering it,
Hi Prithwi,

can you suggest some other vendors (Indian) for the armrest. I took delivery of my new GT on Friday and the armrest is top most on the agenda.

thanks.
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2014, 22:03   #229

Hey Prithwi.

Spotted your car in Gk2 right outside my house today. One look at those alloy wheels from the side and i was convinced. You could perhaps get rid of those autopsyche stickers at the back.
I really wanted a real life glimpse of the front bumper but couldn't catch up due to traffic.

Cheers.
chohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 09:06   #230

I got my armrest from Aliexpress for approx 105USD. It was delivered to me within 3 weeks.

The fit and finish are pretty good. Had it installed at a local workshop and it's serving me very well.

Just keep in mind, the quality will be Chinese so your handling has to be light handed else it may not last long.
kamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 23:43   #231
BHPian

I finally test drove this gem of a car, couple of weeks ago when I was getting my Polo serviced. Must say, gem of a car. The way things are going these days - I dare say this is the car of the future. Good to see it gaining popularity among the Team BHP readers!
anshuman_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:04   #232
BHPian

hey Prithwi, fantastic mods you have done! totally love it.

I have booked the red GT-TSI today, and i am wondering which tyres would be better keeping stock rims.
size wise - 195/60 or 205/55

i am consider8ng the following three tyres in the respective order:
1. Pirelli P7 (have used it in few cars before, very happy with them)
2. Michelin XM2 (using them on my i20 diesel now, loving it. its soft, and never had a puncture in past 2 years of 30k usage. Still got around 50% tread remaining)
3. Yokohoma S-Drive

what do you suggest?

other members also please suggest. Thanks.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:14   #233
BHPian

Michelin xm2 or pst3! They give you best of all the worlds without doubt
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:40   #234
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
2. Michelin XM2 (using them on my i20 diesel now, loving it. its soft, and never had a puncture in past 2 years of 30k usage. Still got around 50% tread remaining)
3. Yokohoma S-Drive

what do you suggest?

Michelin XM2 is a comfort oriented tyre, Primacy 3 ST is better. If you are looking for grip, try 205/55 R15 Hankook Ventus V8 RS or Maxxis MA Z1, both are excellent in terms of dry and wet grip.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:52   #235
BHPian

Quote:
hey Prithwi, fantastic mods you have done! totally love it.

I have booked the red GT-TSI today, and i am wondering which tyres would be better keeping stock rims.
size wise - 195/60 or 205/55

i am consider8ng the following three tyres in the respective order:
1. Pirelli P7 (have used it in few cars before, very happy with them)
3. Yokohoma S-Drive

what do you suggest?

haha... I know what Prithwi will suggest you! Option 3 Yoko S!

Right Prithwi?!

So there you go. Total confusion!
amanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 00:25   #236
BHPian

Hi anb, amanomics,
i am not keen on using the Yokos, though i do consider them good, but dont want to get into Hankook, Maxxis, etc.

Other than the Michelin and Purelli, i would like to try the Vredestein Sportrac5. Unfortunately no reviews for it around.

also, can someone give me contact of Arush @ Autopsyche? i want to order the oem dead pedal too, as i really missed it badly on the test drive. i have to have that!
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:43   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Hi anb, amanomics,
i am not keen on using the Yokos, though i do consider them good, but dont want to get into Hankook, Maxxis, etc.

Other than the Michelin and Purelli, i would like to try the Vredestein Sportrac5. Unfortunately no reviews for it around.

also, can someone give me contact of Arush @ Autopsyche? i want to order the oem dead pedal too, as i really missed it badly on the test drive. i have to have that!

Somebody did mention Vredestein somewhere. Not easy to find. Search forum for that post.

You can his contact no. in their website/FB page. Btw, this model does come with a stock dead pedal. Did you test drive the old model?
amanomics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 10:11   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
Somebody did mention Vredestein somewhere. Not easy to find. Search forum for that post.

You can his contact no. in their website/FB page. Btw, this model does come with a stock dead pedal. Did you test drive the old model?
Hi Amanomics,

Thanks a lot for the input on the dead pedal! really happy to hear that its installed in the newer models.
The two dealers in Hyderabad, both didn't have a test drive vehicle, and one of them showed me the new model which was pending delivery that day to someone. i saw the interuors, the upgraded steering and all, but i didnt observe the dead pedal, assuming it must be there.

then the next day i test drove my friends GT-Tsi, which is an year old. In that, i see its missing and assumed its still missing.

One more query, if i install 205/55/R15, would i be seeing a drop in mileage? and what about with 195/60/R15?

Thanks for Vredestein update, have sent a message to the member, lets see.
Old 1st December 2014, 02:12   #239
BHPian

So far I've used S Drives on the Polo since day 1, and after a LOT of abuse and 4 track days, 2 AutoX's and 1 SpeedSprint plus daily commutes and midnight hooning, they have finally expired at 19k kms.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about bubbles, hard sidewalls, harsh rides etc.. and I'm yet to experience any.

Bubbles stories are mostly found to be from really old tires which are sold beyond their recommended mfg date at a discounted rate.

Bouncy ride in the S Drives comes from overfilling the tires, recommended for our sizes is 30 front, 32 back. I used 32-32 for better mileage, 28-30 for track use, 26-30 for autocross use. dont go beyond 32 on these tires.. ride WILL get very bouncy. These are stiffer sidewalled tires compared to the other options BUT they have the best steering response and feedback. Also there is NO other tire in India sold in my size of 205-50-16.

As for the Vredestein tires, ive put them through their paces at BIC (Audi drives) and they are nice, comfortable BUT not meant for sporty drives. Reason is they are way too squealy, significantly lower grip levels than the S drives along with having a stupid tendency to let go without any warning. This is not relevant for those of you who drive normally and dont push your car much, but for those who do, imagine going from a nice corner line to complete understeer mid corner without any warning. If you understood what the previous line means, then you also will get that the Vredestein are not for you.

Also 205's wont reduce ur mileage by much, maybe 0.1kmpl at worst. Keep them inflated to correct pressures and u wont even see that. More than tread width, what will affect the mileage would be the weight of the tire itself. Same size tires from different mfgs weigh different due to difference in construction, materials used etc. So a 205 tire from Apollo will weigh different from say a 205 from pirelli or Yoko.

Our polo TSI's (unlike the GT TDI's) are EXTREMELY sensitive to weight and anything you can do to reduce un-sprung weight, DO IT. The car will love it. Example: For the last autox both me and my friend were using the wheels n slick tire combo from the Polo R CUP cars, and before returning them, we decided to do a drag. We are both remapped and both of us have dragged before where the result was neck to neck till upto 80kmph, with me pulling ahead by 100 and keeping ahead till about 150. With the R cup rims the results were totally opposite. He was ahead from 60 and by 150 had pulled about 1 car length on me. We switched to our 16 inch rims and voila, i was back ahead. So even though those cheap 15-16 inch rims from some obscure company look great, they end up doing more harm than good to the Polo TSI. Also wrong size wheel and tire combo throws an error code in the ABS unit of the Polo TSI's. It doesn't do any damage but the ABS controller feels the stress of heavier/wrong size rim-tire combo and throws an error code. I am assuming that a prolonged period of use will eventually make the controller/pump fail. Last impact of heavier wheels, is that your brake pads wear out MUCH faster along with overheating and stressing out of the entire braking system.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 1st December 2014 at 02:28.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 02:40   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chohan View Post
Hey Prithwi.

Spotted your car in Gk2 right outside my house today. One look at those alloy wheels from the side and i was convinced. You could perhaps get rid of those autopsyche stickers at the back.
I really wanted a real life glimpse of the front bumper but couldn't catch up due to traffic.

Cheers.
Thanks man.. Just one Autopsyche sticker on the back... and its gona stay there as a respect to the shop that managed to get a WRC bumper into India where all others failed :-) Also these guys do all the work on the car and I've not had a single chance to complain yet.

We are in GK2 M block sometimes at night after our night drives for coffee. Another buddy of mine who lives in GK2 has just got his Polo GT TSI (6C), and its gona end up being a copy of mine (including exhaust and wrc front end). So far we have got the exhaust, remap and decat done, along with MOMO revenge wheels in 16s. Coilovers and paddleshift steering ordered, so if any of u need a new FL steering wheel, do let me know.

Next mod is the new rear bumper. As per my dealer, its Rs.2500 unpainted!

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 1st December 2014 at 02:44.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote