Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2013, 23:18   #16
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats Pritwi, looking forward to meet the polo in person.

Please keep the car stock at least until the coming weekend, since there are test drive cars available, I would like to experience this, given your VRS, is already lowered, this may not be a bad idea if you keep the ride height soft, have some ground clearance thanks to the hell we get on the roads when it rains and also for the craters. I have always wanted to ask you, where do you get 97 octane in Delhi.

Best - DM
97 Octane is available at the Petrol Pump near DLF saket.
93 Octane is available at the Petrol Pump at Guru Dronacharya Station.
devilwearsprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 09:50   #17
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
1- VW OEM Paddle shifter Polo R Steering Wheel (Plug and Play, and airbag compatibilty is hit or miss)
2- VW OEM Center Arm Rest (Plug and play)
3- VW OEM Polo R-WRC Blue Needle FULL MFD cluster with analog feul and temp gauges
4- VW OEM Dead Pedal Foot Rest
Can you let us know the costs of each of these and
Where did you source these from ?
DarkLordOfSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 09:52   #18
BHPian

@Pritwi-81, Get a Pete's mod. They are the best in the business and it will make your car a completely different animal. Check this out:http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...16-353779.aspx I have a polo 1.6 and am planning to get mine.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 11:04   #19
BHPian

I drove a Polo purchased in April 2013. I do not know other details about this car. I drove it for 230km only with all adults 5 members.

I touched the speeds of 160kmph. What I found was that

1) Cabin noise is high

2) there is a very clear over steering ( but this is good in city drive )

3) body roll is most minimum but it is still there.

except these two , it is an excellent one.
My brother has an Vento , with autogear (petrol version). I never drove this car. Very recently it had an accident. Passenger side door was gone inside, whne truck hit the car headlong.
Now the car has been in waiting in the garage for the last one month only because there had been no spares !!!
The door and the brow on door has to be replaced. These are not available and they have to come from Chennai according to the service centre.
venuraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 11:31   #20
BHPian

Parts are sourced from www.vagtune.in, Prices are on their website. Install was done at Autopsyche in Gurgaon.

Trade in prices for the wheels n tires was ~ 25k

Re-Map will be done post engine break-in ~ 3000-4000kms

Road noise is higher compared to the brio for sure. Insulation is much less, and the fender lining is half in the front wheel wells. I am also running S Drives which are noisy.

Part Numbers can be found in the ETKA Database link I provided.

Other cars I compared - I have a Brio so that was a benchmark. Polo GT failed in terms of space, comfort, handling(OEM Tires) but won me over with the DSG and turbo motor(mod friendly) and sheer acceleration. i20 AT failed the comparo miserably in terms of handling and power and the outdated 4AT gearbox. Fabia/Polo 1.6 was discontinued and sadly no AT options. FE for 1.6 engines was also terrible compared to the 1.2TSI. Fiat Punto has terrible build quality and pathetic performance (petrol). I wanted a small hatch so Linea TJet was out of the question.

Anyone want a NEW OEM(India) MF steering and Airbag for their vento/polo, let me know. Mine are off the car and gathering dust.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 29th August 2013 at 11:39.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 13:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

That is one heck of a garage you got there and another one added to the fleet. Incredible.

Your experience with the waiting period reflects what we experience down south as well. It is as good as saying unknown. I find this really weird though for a car that has limited buyers. Try this at a Fiat show room and the question comes back to you on how soon you want your car. Off course; Fiat aren't selling many cars and as a result you can get one off the shelf.

As for your experience on the engine of the Brio, it is not what I call exciting or spirited. Sure there is 90bhp to play with but like an increasing number of cars on sale today, I am not sure how much of that power is being delivered. It feels as if there is some leash on it. If I were given a choice of the old Ford 1.6 Rocam engine versus the 1.2 iVtec Honda mill, the Ford will be my choice. This ain't no rev happy engine like the Honda but moves and responds much better.

When cold, the engine on my T Jet can make you think it is a diesel. A lot of what sounds like tappet noise. Goes away completely once the engines warmed up. Looks like you have something similar on your GT.

The transmission is what seals the deal for the GT. Though a lot of folks are complaining about the lack of a manual option, this is simply your mental block towards an automatic. Manuals are great but a fast shifting automatic is the way forward for fun behind the wheel. Yes; shifting an "H" gate transmission is what we are all used to and the shifting action during a spirited drive makes for an engaging experience. All I can say is, it is time to move on.

As for handling, I don't think VW had any intention of this car being categorized as a hot hatch so I don't look at it as one. If VW really wanted the GT to be looked at as a hot hatch, they should have done what Fiat India did with the old Palio. The S10 edition was not a badge job. This car behaved completely different compared to the already fast and capable Fiat Plaio 1.6 Gtx edition. As with most test drives, my GT drive was limited to uneven arrow straight roads and the handling was towards playing it safe. The Brio feels a lot stiffer though. The benchmark for handling (GT/Hatchback segment) for me is still the Fiat Grande Punto. This car is junked by everyone primarily for its wheezy engines, brand image and god knows what else. All I can say, just get behind the wheel of even the lowest powered 1.2l, drive the car with those stock JK cycle tires and tell me what you think. For something straight out of the factory, there is nothing that can touch the Fiat.

Quote:
Get VCDS, and turn the XDS setting to strong
What is this?

What you have mentioned about the brakes is something I completely ignored. That is feedback. I was struggling to modulate pedal action and kept hitting the brakes too hard every single time. When I was taking off at a traffic light, I hit the brakes by accident. This was the result of clutch action and you can image the speed and pressure at which I hit the brakes in assumption that the car was a manual. I have no complaints with the brakes. I can say that the drum disc set up on the GT is far superior to the all disc set up on the Hyundai i20. The only problem is feedback. The pedal has no weight attached to it nor can you tell how hard you are really hitting them. As for stopping power, no concerns at all.

Are you judging the Grande Punto interiors off a test drive car or you find it horrible on every car? I find your statement way off to what reality is in terms of build quality on Fiats. Sure there are terrible bits. There is no escaping this if you decide to share your assembly line with TATA. I've been in a couple of personal owned Fiats and the plastics are not horrible in any sense of it. Nor is build quality. Yes; they don't have the appearance or feel of a VW. You hear of only negative materials/plastics on Fiat cars but the reality is they are nowhere as bad and they hold on really well. What I have observed is, they are really difficult to keep looking good and new which is not the case with VW cars. The dashboard, door panels on a VW car will require next to no attention and still look new even after many years. In Fiats, you need to constantly clean them or wipe them down so that they retain a new look all the time. I can understand that you ruled out the Punto due to poor performance from all engines. With a GT at a lac over, it is a no contest.

Excellent report and observation of your new ride. I guess this all comes considering you own a fleet of great cars.

Please post new meter console images as soon as you install.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 23:19   #22
BHPian

Congratulations, Prithwi-18!
One awesome machine you got there. I was contemplating on buying one last month but just couldn't let my current baby go away. By the way it's a Polo 1.6. I too had same impression of braking capabilities of GT when I took TD. You explained the technical background of it well here.

Liked the shoes too, with it the car looks hot!

Drive safe.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 00:37   #23
BHPian

Fiat is a good handling car with one of the nicest suspension setup but the height really hurts the handling and its petrol engines are seriously underpowered. even the tata's can out accelerate the petrol engines. The chassis is begging for the T-Jet with a power bump to above 100bhp. But sadly even then the sheer weight of the car would only make it a sub par hatch and not a hot hatch. The Abarth is a different beast, and I've driven a few in Europe. But the point is that it isnt here. What we get here is heavy beast without the heart to pull it. Even the diesel's are sub par. Not on a fiat bashing spree here but who in their right mind would call it a hot hatch when the Brio is 970kgs with 90hp motor can outrun it.

VCDS is a software tool that can do detailed diagnosis of fault codes beyond a standard OBD2 Scanner and modify settings/enable disable features specific to Volkswagen Auto Group (VAG) cars. See link below for more details. Its a pretty expensive tool @35k but well worth it if u like tinkering with ur cars.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

As for XDS - its a brake based electronic differential. Details in link below.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technolo...ty-systems/xds

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th August 2013 at 04:14.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 12:56   #24
BHPian

Congratulations prithwi-81. Nice to see another red GT. Good review and i like the mods.
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 10:56   #25
BHPian

Note to all GT owners looking to get coilovers.. mention to your suspension dealer that you have the DSG, so they give you the right setup. The sets made for the 1.2 tsi mt wont work.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 11:24   #26
BHPian

Very nice detailed review Prithwi. Learnt many more technical aspects by reading your review, thanks for sharing such informative details.
Quote:
Handling - Suspension - The Polo's suspension setup is unique, with no alignment possible in the rear or front. So u are stuck with the stock alignment. No camber adjustments possible in the back or in the front. Toe in is available in the front but very little. You can technically adjust the camber in front by moving the sub-frame, but in order to add -ve camber on one side, u will automatically add +ve camber on the other so its useless. Only way to improve cambering is by lowering the car which naturally adds camber to the wheels. The height of the stock suspension is a real eyesore, but despite the height it can handle pretty good, and almost feels lower than it is. A lot of that has to do with the XDS and the electronic gadgetary but it surely adds to the modern nature of the car. The ride isnt too thrashy, but does shake u up once in while, but like any good setup, the faster u go, the better the ride gets.
This is really a new info for me. Would like to learn more about that.

Here are my few questions:

1. So getting the alignment done at regular wheel alignment shops doesn't do anything effective to the alignment?

2. Is it recommended to get the alignment done only at VW workshops? Do they have some different suitable tools over the regular alignment tools available at wheel shops?

3. If the alignment is got done at a regular wheel alignment shop then does it do any harm, I mean car is titled more towards one side or something similarly weird?

4. What is perfect solution in such setups?

5. Or the alignment never goes out in the such suspension setups?
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:37   #27
BHPian

Its happy to see a DSG in a hatch, way to go HOT HATCHES, drove it recently its a hoot to drive.
slamnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 22:17   #28
BHPian

Gents my very humble 2 cents.
In my STI we couldnt get any camber either. Due to the rules for timetrails I was running, I could not upgrade to coilovers (which I did the next season). The best option we had was camber-bolts to dial in some negative camber.
Note this however had me back at the alignment shop almost after every race weekend.
Realistically how much camber do you really need for the street. -1.2 would be the max. (I got a max of -2.7 with it being corner-weighted.) Any more on our rutted roads you'll be tramlining.
stumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 06:59   #29
BHPian

Nice review. Congrats on your purchase.
Why compare with Brio on various aspects?
These two cars are in two different leagues in terms of technology/purpose and price bracket.
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 11:44   #30
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase and safe driving.

On an Off Topic Note : Can we as TBHP members refrain from posting pictures with smoking? I do not mean to dampen the excitement of your purchase, but if we aspire responsible on road behaviour and we have similar guidelines to posting on the forum, taking it a little further to avoid images of smoking and drinking will help.

Disclosure: I smoke as well.
Karthik_S is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote