Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st October 2013, 08:34   #61
BHPian

Hey, regarding the Bluetooth on iOS 7 issue. Yes there is an issue but it still works. Try this - Delete the phone off vw radio, and vice versa on the phone. Pair them together again, while doing everything from the phone. Only click confirm when it shows up on the radio. It should work now. Subsequently, each time you use it, choose vw radio from the Bluetooth settings page on the phone and not from the command centre or whatever they call it in iOS 7. Don't try connecting using the radio either. This always works for me. I found that trying to do anything more than change tracks and volume from the car controls seems to mess up the connection.

Last edited by SiddVish : 1st October 2013 at 08:36.
SiddVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 10:18   #62
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Prithwi-81 I really liked this thread and appreciate your knowledge about VAG group cars. You have done some neat mods to your car and I must say those wheels look awesome. Could you please share your 0-100 times on regular 91 octane petrol and the efficiency on the same? It will help me cement my next purchase decision.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:26   #63
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-higline-cluster.jpg
FINALLY got the Polo R Highline Cluster installed. Pretty simple actually if you find a VW workshop that is nice. My first tries to install the cluster at the workshop of the dealership didnt work as they gave me all kinds of nonsense excuses.

Then went to the VW dealership/Workshop at mathura road, and asked if they could do it. Surprisingly the service manager was willing to, and the master tech knew how to and said "sir ji, accha part hai, laga ke dekhte hai chalta hai ya nahin, waise to chal jana chahiye".. I was very pleasantly surprised at this. He knew his cars inside out and said that there might be an error on the cluster as the Polo TSI/All polos sold in India doesn't come with the coolant level sensors in the coolant overflow bottle which the Euro cars have (round transparent bottle) and that might cause an error in the Euro clusters. And voila, cluster installed, keys coded in 15 mins. All in all 1160 bux to install the cluster n do a quick checkup on the car. VERY good dealership.. am really impressed with their professionalism.

The error does show on the cluster for the coolant level sensor. Its nothing major, just a warning that keeps showing up on the MFD menu, a red blinking light below the car's temp gauge. Everything else works beautifully. Currently no solution for this, as you cant use VCDS to disable this, not could the workshop do this using their VW VAGCOM tool. Am doing my research to see how to get rid of this. May as well retro fit the level sensor if its not too much of a pain.

One more issue the master tech pointed out in installing the cluster is that it would be better if i could get the MFD stalk as otherwise the regular stalk has limited interaction options with the cluster and disables the mfd controls on the wheels if used to operate the cluster. It re-enables the controls everytime u restart the car, so its not that major an issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Prithwi-81 I really liked this thread and appreciate your knowledge about VAG group cars. You have done some neat mods to your car and I must say those wheels look awesome. Could you please share your 0-100 times on regular 91 octane petrol and the efficiency on the same? It will help me cement my next purchase decision.
See, as per my experience on a closed track with timers (yea i got some pals in the auto magazine industry) the car gave a best of 8.08 over multiple 0-100 runs on 97 octane. Switching to the 93 octane and driving it for 3 fulltanks, and then testing 0-100 runs it gave 8.9 - 9.0 secs. It depends on how u launch this car honestly. Dont use 91 octane so wont be able to help there but sufficient to say it should go up to about 9.8-10.5 secs depending on how u launch it.

Best way to launch the car is dont launch it. Let go of the brake slowly but steadily like u'd let go of the clutch in an manual car, n floor the gas in S mode. Flies off the line like a hornet!

And trust me, its not the launch but the 20-40, 40-80, 80-140 acceleration of this car that makes it so much fun. At BIC, i hit a max of 165 in the back straights thanks to the DSG and paddles (where the stock VRS would be nudging 180). Car kind of feels dead beyond 140 honestly.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:37   #64
BHPian

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-mfd-cluster-polo.jpg

Another Pic of the cluster with the Coolant error message.

One more thing about the cluster, it doesnt integrate with the Bluetooth module of the stock radio. Its not compatible, unlike the bluetooth module of the RCD510 which allows you to access phone functions from the MFD. Sad to see we get cheaped out on that.
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:05   #65
sdh
BHPian

On Q, does changing the instrument cluster reset the Odo to 0Km?
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:47   #66
BHPian

hey

They should be able to disable it via vas. When i installed my maxidot in my laura the wiper washer level fluid warning, brake pad warning and a few other features that come in the Lnk had to be deactivated. I have no errors on mine.

And you wont get the bluetooth functions on the maxidot if its the basic 9w2 module (which only picks up calls and streams music). Only the 9w7 and 9wZ enable call lists, phone book and dialpad functions on the rcd510 and the maxidot. And theres no such thing as a bluetooth module of rcd510. RCD510 doesnt come with an inbuilt bluetooth module. A 9w7/9wZ bluetooth kit will give you all those functions.

quick question. Do the steering buttons on the right work now?

Last edited by vinj14 : 2nd October 2013 at 17:58.
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:35   #67
Team-BHP Support

The new instrument cluster looks really nice! And the much missed temperature gauge is back. Good job really. I wonder how many VW dealerships would be willing to do this swap in the first place! Would this void the warranty? Or do they take any written statement/declaration from the customer before attempting the swap? I am just being curious.

The MID is bigger and the hideous plastic covering on the top and bottom of our Indian Polo/Vento MID is gone! It also has a pleasant white LED readouts compared to the ultra-bright red display.

Does it do the needle sweep/staging now after the installation of the new cluster? Like this one:

I don't suppose the regular Polos nor the GTs could do it. Please correct me if I am wrong though! I did not notice it during the TD of the GT TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh View Post
On Q, does changing the instrument cluster reset the Odo to 0Km?
I am assuming the dealership will restore the previous odo. values using the VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System). Notice the 2271 km readout at the lower left of the MID.

And Prithwi, could you please share the source from where you had ordered the dead pedal?

/Subscribed to the thread. Interesting modifications.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd October 2013 at 20:02.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:15   #68
BHPian

One more little thing- the cluster has nice chrome rings around the dials.. a touch of class IMHO.

Anwers for your Questions
Does the cluster do the needle sweep - Yes..
What is the units on the speedo - km/h as seen in the pictures.
Doest the Right hand side controls work with the cluster - Yes. For details see the initial post about the cluster #63.
Can you disable the coolant level sensor error - No. Not thru VCDS or VAS right now. We are still looking for a solution.

VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-higline-cluster.jpg

On a side note Vinj14, can you tell me what coding they did on ur laura? VCDS doesnt show much coding options on the cluster.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 2nd October 2013 at 22:17.
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:51   #69
BHPian

Cluster coding cannot be done through vcds. You are right about that. When I got mine done in the skoda workshop they deactivated a whole host of features which weren't installed in my car (like wiper washer level fluid, brake pad warning etc). One by one all the errors were eliminated. One error took about half an hour to eliminate cause he didn't know how to deactivate the feature ( as most of vas involves manual coding unlike vcds which is just ticking boxes). But he called another guy from a different workshop typed in the code and the error was gone.
Sorry I don't remember exactly what the coding was or the exact steps he used to clear the errors. Will speak to the technician and let you know.
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 15:45   #70
BHPian

Well it seems the cluster temp error cant be coded out. No way you can turn it off via VCDS or VAG COM. The culprit is the fact that VW decided to cheap out by not installing the Coolant Level sensor (part of the round bottle in the right hand side of the car near the right front strut mount) in the Indian version of the Polo's and Vento's (ONLY IN INDIA). All over the world they get this as standard and I think its a little stupid of VW to launch a car that is so coolant sensitive (the coolant cools the turbo as well as the intake air thru chemical intercooling) in a hot and humid country like ours with bumper to bumper traffic.

Anyhow am looking to find a way to retrofit the sensor and wiring as its installed in all other VAG cars in India (from Jetta to Superb).

On the good news side, Arush @ Autopsyche has finally managed find me the OEM dead pedal which is sorely missed in the car. Thanks a ton man, it makes my left foot so much happier.

Pics of Dead pedal before install.
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-polo-gt-dead-pedal.jpg
prithwi-81 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 20:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
On the good news side, Arush @ Autopsyche has finally managed find me the OEM dead pedal which is sorely missed in the car. Thanks a ton man, it makes my left foot so much happier.

Pics of Dead pedal before install.
Attachment 1147847
Thats nice, waiting to see the pics after installation. BTW can this also be fitted in a 3 pedal Polo? Please PM me total damage into your pocket and the contact details of the guy.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 21:00   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
(the coolant cools the turbo as well as the intake air thru chemical intercooling)
Hi,
An explanation of how this works (in the case of the Polo 1.2 TSI) would be appreciated.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 21:24   #73
Team-BHP Support

Prithwi, do post the snaps of the dead pedal post installation. And yeah, please do share the price and the contact details of the person from Autopsyche. I would like to source one too.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 23:53   #74
BHPian

Here is a diagram of the chemical intercooling of the vag 1.2 and 1.4 tsi motors.

Name:  db2007au00879medium.jpeg
Views: 4859
Size:  35.5 KB

As for the deadpedal, contact - autopsyche@gmail.com or you can contact them on their facebook page.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:17   #75
BHPian

Did some more digging and found the culprit for the coolant level sensor issue. Have a fix in mind and will try it out tomorrow.

For what is missing. Here are comparison pics of a Euro Polo bay
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-euro-polo-1.2tsi-engine-bay.jpg

And Indian Polo bay.
Name:  volkswagenpologttsiengine7_560x420.jpg
Views: 4479
Size:  52.8 KB