Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th October 2013, 19:47   #106
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Its a good deal, but the premium for the rcd510 isnt worth it. Plus the 9w system is a bit of a pain to install as you got to take apart quite a bit of the inside.
What about the cruise-control stalk,is it plug-n-play?Sorry but whats a 9w system ?

Last edited by dean5545 : 27th October 2013 at 19:49.
dean5545 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 20:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post

What about the cruise-control stalk,is it plug-n-play?Sorry but whats a 9w system ?
The regular rcd 510 supports bluetooth but its not a part of the system. The bluetooth module is a seperate piece and sits below the front seat and the mic wired to the roof light. Cruise control is upto individual choice. I dont think I will ever use it in this car and in indian traffic conditions so its a waste of money for me.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 14:06   #108
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
RNS 510 is not worth it imho, especially cuz u have to get the bluetooth module, mic etc etc with it. I'd rather go with a VW specific kenwood unit or VW Specific Blaupunkt unit that integrates with my highline cluster mfd.

Overall a cheaper and much better solution.
I concur with him, initially I thought RNS is the way to go, but are we able to use the satnav option? Are there updated maps? otherwise an RCD should be sufficient I would suspect..
shefiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 15:58   #109
BHPian

Will be heading out to the highways on the GT this weekend. Hopefully it'll be fun :-). Its already risen to the top of my daily commuter car. Now lets see if it can work as a highway tourer..
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 10:17   #110
BHPian

Hey Prithwi,

Hope you had a good highway run, awaiting your feedback, possible detailed report on the experience!
shefiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 11:12   #111
BHPian

Highway Run Experience - One word - BRILLIANT!!!!
The car behaved so beautifully!

Observations-
Enough grunt for overtaking at any sane speed, with the DSG offering the power on demand with instinctive downshifts to get to the power band.
The car is very happy maintaining triple digit speeds. 120-130kmph seems to be the sweet spot for best fuel efficiency ~ 14.5-15kmpl. I suppose its got more to do with the SOHC head setup and less with the tiny 1.2L motor which is insane.

Highway Stability over rough patches is not a problem as the suspension deals with them very gracefully, rarely ever unsettling the car at such speeds. Even with wider tires the car never gave a sense of being pushed. Same roads, my friend in his BMW 320d was constantly complaining of poor roads and tram lining while i was flying away. The true nature of the suspension really shows up here, its meant for spirited highway runs more than driving in day to day city madness. The spring rates, damper rates makes perfect sense now. I used to complain that during spirited city drives 10% of the time the suspension really lets you down.. but in a highway scenario, its THERE, with you 100% of the time. City drive, yes it will still let you down. Also the steering weighs down very fast and very nicely during consistent triple digit runs and then loosens up when u maintain speeds below 60kmph for a few mins. This is brilliant as it never gives you the feeling of being over-assisted during highway runs, which adds to your confidence level.

Braking performance.. stop on demand! Enough said :-) (although i guess this has more to do with the VCDS coding changes combined with the 205 tires & wheel setup I have)

Niggles.. none... one of the nicest highway experiences I've had in a car in India. Same stretch was done in the stock Laura TSI a year ago and experience was almost at par with the added convenience of a DSG Automatic.

Note from Support - Please avoid posting about high speeds unless it was achieved on a closed road. Please also avoid using sms language - u is not the same as you, etc. on this forum. Type out words completely and preview your post before submitting please.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th December 2013 at 20:50.
prithwi-81 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 11:38   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Highway Run Experience - One word - BRILLIANT!!!!
Thanks for the feedback about the Polo GT TSi. I have booked the Polo GT TSi, and expecting it soon.
Took a very long time contemplating between GT TSi, Ecosport, Vento TDI and GT TDi. And definitely ownership experiences(from you and Robi) have influenced my decision in going for the GT TSi.
shetty_rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:21   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks for the feedback about the Polo GT TSi. I have booked the Polo GT TSi, and expecting it soon.
Took a very long time contemplating between GT TSi, Ecosport, Vento TDI and GT TDi. And definitely ownership experiences(from you and Robi) have influenced my decision in going for the GT TSi.
Congratulations.. your not going to regret your decision.. one of the best performance cars for our roads!
Old 13th November 2013, 23:48   #114
BHPian

For all those with Kitna deti hai.. here is the mileage comparison at 2000kms and 4000kms.
Also dont miss my sweet cluster comparison too :-)
VW Polo GT TSI - Officially Unofficial Review and Initial Ownership Report-mileage.jpg
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 17:00   #115
BHPian

Quote:
For all those with Kitna deti hai.. here is the mileage comparison at 2000kms and 4000kms.
Also dont miss my sweet cluster comparison too :-)
Mate congrats on the good mileage achieved, Are you using 97 Octane on the Polo also or are you running regular pump fuel ?

Thanks - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 17:29   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post

Mate congrats on the good mileage achieved, Are you using 97 Octane on the Polo also or are you running regular pump fuel ?

Thanks - ML
97 only so far.. usually mix it up after 2 full tanks lasts me a month on Rs.6k
Old 14th November 2013, 18:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
97 only so far.. usually mix it up after 2 full tanks lasts me a month on Rs.6k
Given the goal is a commuter, try running it in regular fuel, i know it is very easy to say then do it, given i can't resist 97 in my RS. That will help understand the map's FE preference.

Thanks - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 19:03   #118
BHPian

Did you manage to get the coolant sensor error sorted?
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 22:58   #119
BHPian

ML.. did run regular fuel for a few tanks in between, but the car didn't seem to like it coming from 97. Slowed down the performance a bit. And also the FE went down as the car ran richer.

BTW when you drove it it was on regular. U should see it on 97 :-)

Vinj14.. the coolant error is still there but I've learnt to live with it. Its a tiny light anyways.. ignorance is bliss and doesnt glare into the eyes at all. VAGTUNE has a solution but it includes hacking up the harness which I am not interested in doing, or swapping out the entire harness for a new one, which also is a PITA.

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2013 at 16:08.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 10th December 2013, 23:51   #120
BHPian

Finally got the car remapped from Pete's at Autopsyche. Power output is approx 135bhp & 210nm torque which is well within the safe limits of the DQ200 gearbox. The tune can do 145-150bhp with a full turbo back catless exhaust (which will be done in time).

Like all remaps the tune takes about 100-150 kms to adapt fully to the car and show its true colors.
After that the car feels amazing, a HUGE difference from stock tune. Infact, the difference is so huge that it left me wondering if VW de-tuned the car before launching it in India, which is quite possible. 0-100 is roughly 8 secs flat with TCS off, but the fun is definitely in the midrange. The daily drivability of the car has immensely improved with 60 kmph coming up in the blink of an eye with your foot down. Car in front of you is not giving way & driving at 40mph... put foot down in D, watch the car shift from 5th to 2nd, and before you known it your back at 5th but with the speedo now showing 120 kmph. Whoa!! Flat out, the time it took to hit 120 kmph in stock state, the remapped car is crossing the 140 kmph mark. DSG is best left in D for the majority of the driving. If I want to feel the surge, I just tap the -ve paddle twice to awaken the beast. Why twice you ask, its because the car generally drives 2 gears higher than the needed gear for instant kick passing power in D.

Launching this car isn't necessary. TCS off, DSG to S and floor it, a hint of wheelspin in 1st, 2nd with TCS off (with my 16inch rims 205 Yoko S Drive tires) and the car clammers to speeds without much drama. Additionally to improve acceleration its better to shift a bit before 5.5k rpm as the car runs out of steam in the topend and your just wasting gas revving it that high.

The car feels so smooth throughout the rev band. Much more smoother than stock and the midrange power is tremendous fun in a car that barely weighs ~ 1000 kgs. The DSG masks the power very well though. In fact cruising around in D you'll never even get a hint of how much power is at your disposal till you dab the throttle. My recommendation for anyone who is planning on this remap is to first upgrade your wheels n tires to alteast 195 stickies, because believe me your going to need the extra grip while taking off and also the extra rubber for stopping power :-)

Acceleration VID- In S Mode with TCS on. This was on day 1.

Will do another vid of the performance after 300kms on the tune.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th December 2013 at 15:26. Reason: Post edited. Lots of SMS language (u, u'll, ur, n, xtra). Please type in full. Thanks.
prithwi-81 is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote