Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 16:49   #16
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 643
Thanked: 131 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congratulations Frank for getting one of the most desirable hot hatch of the country, there is no two ways about the powerplant this car carries.

I myself have driven the older swift petrol (Swift Zxi) for over 90K kms and believe me even after closing in 5 years the car feels just like new in terms of engine characteristics and the interior quality, Ofcourse the newer swift has far better interiors but still the older one have not faded in any ways.

The car is hoot to drive and have taken it on numerous occasions out of Delhi and it just inspires confidence each time on the highways, its very controlled and just doesnt lets you down in any which ways. The Auto AC is very good in comparison to other hatches and I agree it cools the cabin in no time, even after close to 4+ yeaars all it took was a regular AC Service and the AC is just like new, so I can say the parts life is quiet good.

Ahh the ICE, believe me the day you move your equipment into the Swift, your ICE experience will go to a new level, ofcouse its a small hatch in comaprison to the big booted car but I believe its one of the best cars to enjoy ICE these days.

Wishing you many happy and safe kms ahead with the new car.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 16:53   #17
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 706
Thanked: 257 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congratulations Frank. She looks lovely in Black.

It is so endearing to see the Swift still kick it's competition's back side (as is evident from your initial options and the final decision you made)

You missed to highlight one important feature on the ZDI - THE REAR WIPER. The old SWIFT was such a pain to drive during the rains.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 20:24   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrats on the ZDI. Its a mile muncher.
You just probably missed the Polo 1.6 TDI. It would have been a worthy contender.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 23:37   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Brilliant review, Frank. I myself bought a White ZDi couple of months back. Your review about the car echoed my views about the car too. I found myself saying 'exactly' every now and then when I went through your review. Only disagreement would be about the interior quality. This is one area where Swift should have done better. Simply doesn't feel like a 8.5L rupee car. But as GTO says in the official review, LXi owners will be praising the plastic quality.

My car has done 42xx km till now. My review coming up pretty soon.

Enjoy your ride
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 10:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,045
Thanked: 7,374 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Frank, Congrats on the Swift! Glad to see someone who appreciates all black interiors. All beige interior is the only thing I have against the Ertiga. Hope we get more cars with all black interiors. The Stingray is also really nice inside.

As rightly spotted by you, the thin sheet metal and lean cover of paint is the main Achilles heel of the new Swift. You may want to devote special attention towards that.

And if budget permits, go for better tyres in either 185/65 R15 or 195/60 R15. Good rubber really transforms the car. Have fun!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:29   #21
BHPian
 
kailashnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 887
Thanked: 275 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrats on the Swift ZDI. Its a beautiful car with all black interiors. Hopefully Ertiga also gets the same treatment sometime soon. Beige interiors are a pain completely.

Are you planning to add RD box or the K&N to the car sometime soon. Keep updating the thread and happy motoring.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrats Frankie! The car looks lovely in Black, its one of the few hatchbacks that look good in Black.

Install a cabin air filter (in the slot behind the glove box) if you haven't already done so. It will prevent dust and other particles going into the blower and also keep the evaporator coil clean. Buy it from Maruti ASC or get Bosch units.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 12:15   #23
Newbie
 
balajisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/MYS
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrtulations frankmehta..did you test the hatchdoor...I had faced a problem with it closing with a push..as did some people in the forum...
wishing you many miles ahead

Note from Support
Please avoid the use of excessive dots.
Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 19th September 2013 at 12:30.
balajisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 14:32   #24
BHPian
 
slamnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 372 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrats "frankmehta" on your purchase, even though Swift DDiS has been around for close to 6 years, it still makes an excellent all round car and amongst the most desirable ones. No wonder why its up the ladder in sales numbers.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 14:41   #25
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
BTW, how is the high speed stability after 100kmph???
The Swift is a modern day vehicle and can take to the Indian highways with ease. You can cruise at 120 km/hr, which is the speed limit on some of the highways, and won't feel any vibration or feeling of loss of control, even in stock condition with all OEM parts. The steering is very light and the gear shifting is smooth too, making the drive quite effortless.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 14:44   #26
BHPian
 
satishv1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 108 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congratulations on your new ride. The Swift has always looked great in black.
By now your new acquisition must have a decent number of miles under its belt.Is the reverse gear shift still iffy? My Ritz has done more than 25K and sometimes it refuses to slot into reverse at one go. My SA told me that this an issue with most Maruti cars and that is something I will have to live with. Is Maruti doing something to rectify it?
satishv1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 20:53   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Hi Frank, congratualations on your new swift !
A very honest review too.

Most of the differences you have mentioned between the old and new swift are true.I too own a swift diesel which is a 2009 model and a close friend has recently baught a new one too.The interiors are indeed 1000 times better in the new swift and also the ride quality is smoother.My swift is a back breaker on bad roads and have to drive very slow on bad roads.But the engine is a hell lot quicker on the older swift.In fact i dont seem to like any other car after driving the swift. even after driving a swift for 4.5 years iam surely going to consider the swift again when i change my car.
A special mention about the alloys which indeed look nice.

BTW are you staff at DY??
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 23:09   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
Wonderful review sirjee, How easy or difficult is it for you to drive a manual car since you are coming from an Auto background?
I have driven a Manual all my life. The Civic was our first Automatic car, but yes, an auto makes life really really easy. I miss driving her sometimes in heavy traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Congratulations Sir.

I have two questions to ask :

1. Why didn't you consider Fiat Punto ?

2. How much did the Autocop rear camera set cost ?

Cheers !
The implementation of the National Engine is better than Fiat's own cars, and of course, everything else the Swift does is better than the Punto, save for the ride, maybe and slightly better steering.
The Autocop is the fully loaded version and cost me Rs. 5800 plus fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Interesting review frankmehta. I just did a TD of the swift ZDI now. I am contemplating on a change of my Indica Vista Quadrajet. The swift's interiors(Front) are very good and the front seats are specially very comfy. BTW, how is the high speed stability after 100kmph???
ROCK Solid at 150 kmph. Did it today. Didn't scare me. In fact, I was still accelerating and then remembered shes only 1600 odd km old so mercifully let go off the gas pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Frank,

Wonderful buying experience & initial ownership report.

Were you looking for a hatchback only? I mean did you ever considered test driving Swift Dzire? Reason for asking, by paying Rs. 1 lakh more, one can get a sedan like experience in Dzire.

Also what did you finally decide about that Civic?

Thanks,
There was no budget. I could have even gone in for a Jetta if I had wanted. But the priorities were different, and the Swift met them to a 'T.'
The DZire is hardly a hatch. It's a notchback and has only 100 odd litres of luggage volume over the Swift. 1 lac for a 110 litres is not worth it. Also, the DZire comes with beige interiors and wooden accents, whereas I fell for the all-black hue of the Swift. The Swift has also been tuned better for handling and the Dzire has a better ride, but the Swift kinda balances the stuff well.
The Civic is still with us. Going strong. Body needs a little attention because she hasn't got the TLC she deserves. Mechanically, still a peach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Congratulations! A very nice review.
Since you opted for Black, good luck in maintaining it!
I own the previous generation Swift & the current Dzire. Have to say Maruti has done a stellar job by making this Swift such a great car!
The black interiors are not difficult to maintain but after a point of time i personally feel it starts to look dull & boring.

I guess this a typo. Should be 15inch wheels!
Yes, sir, 15 inchers. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Congratulations Frank. She looks lovely in Black.

It is so endearing to see the Swift still kick it's competition's back side (as is evident from your initial options and the final decision you made)

You missed to highlight one important feature on the ZDI - THE REAR WIPER. The old SWIFT was such a pain to drive during the rains.
I forgot to mention this totally! She's my FIRST car with a rear wiper, and like many small things, this thing excites me every single time I use it.
Utility wise, I have come to realize it's in-disposable and should be made mandatory in all hatchbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Congrats on the ZDI. Its a mile muncher.
You just probably missed the Polo 1.6 TDI. It would have been a worthy contender.
Considered the Polo 1.6 (Had seen leaks. Also thought they would release the new 1.5) but gave up on VW altogether as they still have a long way to go to prove their prowess in servicing cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Frank, Congrats on the Swift! Glad to see someone who appreciates all black interiors. All beige interior is the only thing I have against the Ertiga. Hope we get more cars with all black interiors. The Stingray is also really nice inside.

As rightly spotted by you, the thin sheet metal and lean cover of paint is the main Achilles heel of the new Swift. You may want to devote special attention towards that.

And if budget permits, go for better tyres in either 185/65 R15 or 195/60 R15. Good rubber really transforms the car. Have fun!
Yes, it's an error. I am running on 185/65R15's. And the tires are doing much much better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Congrats on the Swift ZDI. Its a beautiful car with all black interiors. Hopefully Ertiga also gets the same treatment sometime soon. Beige interiors are a pain completely.

Are you planning to add RD box or the K&N to the car sometime soon. Keep updating the thread and happy motoring.
You are reading my mind, my friend. A Cosworth cold air intake with custom plumbing and a Race Dynamics Dieseltronic are already in the works. Waiting to cross 10k km to install both together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Congrats Frankie! The car looks lovely in Black, its one of the few hatchbacks that look good in Black.

Install a cabin air filter (in the slot behind the glove box) if you haven't already done so. It will prevent dust and other particles going into the blower and also keep the evaporator coil clean. Buy it from Maruti ASC or get Bosch units.
Dad went and gave the car for service. When I went to collect it, I requested for the filter to be installed, but it was too late. The job sheet had been closed and I was told to install it the next time. The cost is Rs. 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisb View Post
Congrtulations frankmehta..did you test the hatchdoor...I had faced a problem with it closing with a push..as did some people in the forum...
wishing you many miles ahead
Hatch door is absolutely perfect. Love the electrmagnetic release, and the door shuts just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. The Swift has always looked great in black.
By now your new acquisition must have a decent number of miles under its belt.Is the reverse gear shift still iffy? My Ritz has done more than 25K and sometimes it refuses to slot into reverse at one go. My SA told me that this an issue with most Maruti cars and that is something I will have to live with. Is Maruti doing something to rectify it?
My Esteem was sold at 49500 km after 8 years and STILL had the reverse gear problem. LOL. This time around, my Swift has not shown this issue. The gears slot just fine.
The other new edition to our stable exhibits the same characteristic trait, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
Hi Frank, congratualations on your new swift !
A very honest review too.

Most of the differences you have mentioned between the old and new swift are true.I too own a swift diesel which is a 2009 model and a close friend has recently baught a new one too.The interiors are indeed 1000 times better in the new swift and also the ride quality is smoother.My swift is a back breaker on bad roads and have to drive very slow on bad roads.But the engine is a hell lot quicker on the older swift.In fact i dont seem to like any other car after driving the swift. even after driving a swift for 4.5 years iam surely going to consider the swift again when i change my car.
A special mention about the alloys which indeed look nice.

BTW are you staff at DY??
Thanks. Yes, the alloys are beautiful.
And yes, I teach Pediatric Dentistry to under graduates in DY Patil Dental College & Hospital.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2013 at 23:27. Reason: Posts merged.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 07:36   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,045
Thanked: 7,374 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Yes, it's an error. I am running on 185/65R15's. And the tires are doing much much better than I expected.
Knew it was a typo Frank. I just got 195/60 R15 Michelin XM2 on our ZDi and it has totally transformed the car. Maybe Goodyear is better than the MRF ZVTV we had on our car.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 08:12   #30
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 352
Thanked: 160 Times
Default re: Frankmehta's workhorse : Black Maruti Swift ZDi. EDIT, now with RD Box

Congrats on the new car. Always nice to read a review from you. Black always brings a smile to a detailers face considering how rewarding it is to work with.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova: My Pre-worshipped Black Workhorse AutoIndian Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 440 3rd December 2017 15:06
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2 Endeavour333 Modifications & Accessories 130 11th September 2017 01:24
BumbleBee: First Maruti Swift ZDI in Pune & Team-BHP EDIT: 20,000 km Update on Pg 12 Racer_X Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 198 26th April 2017 16:19
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold! frankmehta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 483 31st March 2017 16:45
2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!** RavenAvi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 123 26th February 2014 15:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks