Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th August 2016, 16:28   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!

Unsure of VW-specific EW inclusions but flywheel is usually classified as a wear-and-tear item, and not generally covered under EW unless it can be traced to a manufacturing defect.

For example, Chevy changed my Cruze flywheel for free (I paid for the clutch) as the service advisor found irregular contact evidence.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:21   #362
BHPian

Hi Chethan! Been following your thread. Long time no update? Hows your Jetta treating you?
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:38   #363
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!

Update @ 68K Kms on the ODO:

Jetta is a little over 3 years and going wonderfully strong!! It has been 25K Kms since Remap!!! It's a pleasure driving the car!!!!

5th oil change service was done @ 67K Kms on the ODO - Was just an-other scheduled activity, with all the filters replaced. I am religiously replacing air-filter every 6K Kms. As usual, got the tyre rotation / balancing / alignment done at Madhu's. PS3 has run 27K Kms and still going strong - Better than NCT5 at it's prime, I could say; Should hold good until next service or at-least 35K Kms, which itself is excellent. No problems / signs of wear, with the clutch plates either. Got the Battery replaced as it was showing signs of failure.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!-jetta-5th-service.jpg

Got an other coat of CQuartz done at "http://ultimatedetailerz.com". 3D KAGU mat on the driver side had worn out - Replaced the entire set.

Jetta is now showroom fresh!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 2nd November 2016 at 18:51. Reason: Battery Replaced.
Chethan B G is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:23   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
As usual, got the tyre rotation / balancing / alignment done at Madhu's. PS3 has run 27K Kms and still going strong - Better than NCT5 at it's prime, I could say; Should hold good until next service or at-least 35K Kms, which itself is excellent.
Surprising, by 25k I found my PS3s had become hard, causing the suspension to make noise, and also the grip had reduced a fair bit. I don't know how yours seem to be lasting this long.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:35   #365
BHPian

Air filter seems to be added twice in the bill above. Is that a mistake? I Am planning to buy a 2010 Jetta 2 litre tdi. Is it worth getting a remap for the same ? What kind of power levels can be expected after the remap ?
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:16   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Surprising, by 25k I found my PS3s had become hard, causing the suspension to make noise, and also the grip had reduced a fair bit. I don't know how yours seem to be lasting this long.
You are right Akshay. PS3 does get hard.

My comment was in comparison to NCT5 and mainly the grip level. As I do not drive hard very often, I hope to live with it for some more time. There is enough thread depth and also thread wear is even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Air filter seems to be added twice in the bill above. Is that a mistake? I Am planning to buy a 2010 Jetta 2 litre tdi. Is it worth getting a remap for the same ? What kind of power levels can be expected after the remap ?
As I change filter after 6K Kms, I have bought an additional one.

IMHO, drive it far a couple of months to make sure that there are no problems. And then, you can go for the remap.

Remap improves driveablity, more than increase in absolute power. Power / torque increases by about 20% practically. I would say, it is worth it!

All the best!
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:06   #367
BHPian

Quote:

IMHO, drive it far a couple of months to make sure that there are no problems. And then, you can go for the remap.

Remap improves driveablity, more than increase in absolute power. Power / torque increases by about 20% practically. I would say, it is worth it!

All the best!
My Jetta is the 110hp one, not the 140hp model. I read somewhere that a remap can bring it to the 170hp level that your Jetta is capable of. Could that be possible?
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:40   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
My Jetta is the 110hp one, not the 140hp model. I read somewhere that a remap can bring it to the 170hp level that your Jetta is capable of. Could that be possible?
Should be possible.

Please go through this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3790796 (VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!)
Chethan B G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 17:17   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Yep.
I do not have the graphs on stock power to compare. My inference is partially based on the experience in driving the car, before and after remap.

Dyno Map: Stock and Remap.

Attachment 1432672

Attachment 1432673

Main difference is with the way the power is delivered. As torque is mainly important to gain initial momentum, it is the power spread which gives constant acceleration once the car starts moving. IMO, this is the main reason the car drives so differently. It is not just about those extra horses, car drives much better than earlier. By saying this, I do not mean that the drive was bad earlier, by any standard!
Chetan sir,
I am going to take advantage of petes christmas special offer for ECU remap in my jetta trendline. I was looking at your thread for detailed information. After studying above attached graphs, I observed one strange thing.

Max torque of 320 NM is unleashed at 1750 rpm in stock (which is a great thing), however in the remap (based on perfexpert) its only 230-250 NM at 1750 rpm. In a practical world, this would make the car sluggish untill 2000 rpm. Am i missing something here? My interest would be to know if all that 380 NM torque is delivered at what rpm to feel the difference. If it happens earlier its the best.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 17:54   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Chetan sir,
I am going to take advantage of petes christmas special offer for ECU remap in my jetta trendline. I was looking at your thread for detailed information. After studying above attached graphs, I observed one strange thing.

Max torque of 320 NM is unleashed at 1750 rpm in stock (which is a great thing), however in the remap (based on perfexpert) its only 230-250 NM at 1750 rpm. In a practical world, this would make the car sluggish untill 2000 rpm. Am i missing something here? My interest would be to know if all that 380 NM torque is delivered at what rpm to feel the difference. If it happens earlier its the best.
Sorry for butting in here

Dyno graphs look very different when done in lower gears, as compared to higher gears, for turbocharged cars.

This is because the turbo takes some time to spool up. This particular run was done in 2nd gear - in 3rd gear and beyond, you'd have a lot more torque at 1750 RPM than you do in 2nd gear.

Another way to think about this is that if you are climbing a really steep hill very slowly in 2nd gear, then by the time you get to 1750 RPM, you may have reached peak torque, even though you were only in 2nd gear, because of the additional time available to develop full boost. This is how engine dynamos work - they apply a huge amount of loading to the engine to let the RPMs rise gradually - and hence allow the engine to deliver the max power possible at all RPMs.

TLDR: They are called 'peak' torque/power graphs for a reason. A remap can only increase the torque level at any given RPM level - so don't worry about losing out on any bottom end grunt!
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:34   #371
Senior - BHPian

Is any one amongst you running a staggered tire setup on your Jettas? I have been thinking of switching the rear tires to 225/50R16 and the fronts to be regular setup of 205/55R16. There's no thought behind this rather just a whim, do share any experiences, pros/cons of the proposed set up.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2016 at 00:23. Reason: 2015/55R16 -> 205/55R16
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:33   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Is any one amongst you running a staggered tire setup on your Jettas? I have been thinking of switching the rear tires to 225/50R16 and the fronts to be regular setup of 2015/55R16. There's no thought behind this rather just a whim, do share any experiences, pros/cons of the proposed set up.
you must mean 215/55 R16 for front. Staggered setup is not really recommended on jetta. Considering jetta a Front wheel drive car, you would need more traction in front then in back.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:47   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is any one amongst you running a staggered tire setup on your Jettas? I have been thinking of switching the rear tires to 225/50R16 and the fronts to be regular setup of 2015/55R16. There's no thought behind this rather just a whim, do share any experiences, pros/cons of the proposed set up.
Wouldn't recommend it. The Jetta is a forward wheel drive car anyways, the extra traction at the rear is pointless. Couple that with the fact you won't be able to rotate the tyres evenly and it means your tyres could wear out faster. go for 225/50 all round and you'll see more gains that simply switching to a staggered setup.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:32   #374
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap!

Quote:
Is any one amongst you running a staggered tire setup on your Jettas? I have been thinking of switching the rear tires to 225/50R16 and the fronts to be regular setup of 215/55R16. There's no thought behind this rather just a whim, do share any experiences, pros/cons of the proposed set up.
225/50/R16 on all wheels is adequate for Jetta in most driving conditions. In-fact, if you are a laid-back driver like me, most of the times, stock rating with a better rubber also does the job.

I have never experienced the car loosing traction and sliding side-ways. Not even with the stock NCT5 tyres. Only thing is that, the tyres loose traction under strong straight-line acceleration, particularly from stand still.

205/55/R16 has not given me jitters, even while driving hard. But 225 width gives me more assurance and also may reduces braking distance.

Jetta's drive is very neutral by default. Handling is very precise. Please keep the tyre selection simple.
Chethan B G is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:08   #375
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all of you for your inputs, appreciate the same.

I meant 205/55R16, the stock size for the Jetta HL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
you must mean 215/55 R16 for front. Staggered setup is not really recommended on jetta. Considering jetta a Front wheel drive car, you would need more traction in front then in back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Wouldn't recommend it................ go for 225/50 all round and you'll see more gains that simply switching to a staggered setup.

Quote:
225/50/R16 on all wheels is adequate for Jetta in most driving conditions. In-fact, if you are a laid-back driver like me, most of the times, stock rating with a better rubber also does the job.

I have never experienced the car loosing traction and sliding side-ways. Not even with the stock NCT5 tyres. Only thing is that, the tyres loose traction under strong straight-line acceleration, particularly from stand still. ...............

...................Please keep the tyre selection simple.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote