Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd December 2013, 13:52   #61
BHPian

Default Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Dear Mohit. Congrats on your car. Great buy and you would really notice a difference of quality between German and a Japanese car, your pics nowhere show the boot space and as you said that you would be receiving your space saver tyre in the near future, it would be interesting to see how much space does the tyre eats up and how it is secured inside the boot.
Secondly, what precautions are you taking taking for the auto gear box, as was reading on the forum, whether you are putting it on N while in stop/go Delhi traffic or in P mode,
behaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Nice catch. Even I didn't notice that. The only difference I know is absense of navigation. The pic from the official review is of the 328i sportsline I think which comes with navigation. Other then that no difference AFAIK.
No, I got the NAV part from the pic, what I didn't understand was the top of the jog dial seems different. In the sportline one it has arrows going in all 4 directions and on the other one its on left and right. May be there's some other functional difference as well.
Somu2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post

No, I got the NAV part from the pic, what I didn't understand was the top of the jog dial seems different. In the sportline one it has arrows going in all 4 directions and on the other one its on left and right. May be there's some other functional difference as well.
Will check with the dealer and get back to you . AFAIK there is no other difference apart from the design ofcourse.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:32   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
Hey Mohit, while researching I stumbled across this pic from team-bhp review of the 3 series. The iDrive controller seems different in the review car than yours. Is there any difference in iDrive's on base and luxury models ?

Image from Team-Bhp Review
Attachment 1173606

Image from your thread
Attachment 1173607
The I-drive in the base version of 3 series is a more basic one while the one on the pic is the one that used to come in the pre-facelifted 5 series. Now, the facelifted 5er comes with a touch enabled idrive scroller...
RickyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
The I-drive in the base version of 3 series is a more basic one while the one on the pic is the one that used to come in the pre-facelifted 5 series. Now, the facelifted 5er comes with a touch enabled idrive scroller...
But is the difference lies just in the design or even in functions, other than navigation which is absent in the base variant.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
But is the difference lies just in the design or even in functions, other than navigation which is absent in the base variant.
I am sure there would be some difference in the functions as well as the pre-facelifted 5er did not come with navigation except in 530d, but the idrive as on the pic is the same as in our 520d,
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:22   #67
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations on the BMW, drmohitg. Wish you have a happy and JOYful ownership experience. The interiors look really nice and Imperial blue is one classy color to add to the beauty of the car! The review is nicely written and worth a '5 star' rating.

Keep us updated on the service and FE front.

OT: Finished reading just now, sorry for the late reply.
BTW Same (almost) pinch! It's your third car since 2011 and I have also got 4 cars since 2011! Lightening fast buyers, right?
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:25   #68
BHPian

Nice interior pics. What is the off above the start stop button. Also in the variants is the difference really of the gizmos or even stuff like power and gear box. I mean this in the 320D variants.

You have kinda ignited a flame although my Fortuner is just 8 months old. I am looking for a sedan for city driving. I was ready to go up to 18 but am now thinking of getting a decent pre owned 3 or C. Did you happen to come across any decent examples in your search.

Thanks
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:39   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
BTW Same (almost) pinch! It's your third car since 2011 and I have also got 4 cars since 2011! Lightening fast buyers, right?
Well somethings are just out of our hands. Before 2011 we had never bought a new car and all cars were used. And then on 3 cars in 3 years by God's grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Nice interior pics. What is the off above the start stop button. Also in the variants is the difference really of the gizmos or even stuff like power and gear box. I mean this in the 320D variants.
Thats the button to switch off the auto start stop feature which comes on everytime you switch on the car. The difference is only of gizmos and in that too it is basically the seats, leather quality, sunroof, chrome and interior lights and puddle lights, rear view camera, front parking sensors, larger iDrive screen and few such small things. But the best part is that the base model comes with all the safety features, the same technical specs, iDrive and Xenons.
Quote:
You have kinda ignited a flame although my Fortuner is just 8 months old. I am looking for a sedan for city driving. I was ready to go up to 18 but am now thinking of getting a decent pre owned 3 or C. Did you happen to come across any decent examples in your search.
Well if you plan to buy then buy now as almost all car makers are planning a price hike in January. I didn't look at used car options as this is our first premium car and didn't want to take a risk with used cars. Also I am anyways going to keep it for atleast 5 years and hence needed the BSI cushion.
But if you have the moolah then go for it. The D segment sedans can just not match the feel of the BMW. I didn't know what I was missing till now. Even my dad is like really happy with the car for the first time. He generally doesn't comment much on cars and focuses more on practical aspects.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Prologue

Dad: I am thinking of buying a new car.

Me (not believing what I heard and trying my best to hide my excitement): Why? We just bought 2 of them in the last 2 years!

Dad: Well as I told you before I need a car with a boot.

Me: OK so what do you have in mind?

Dad: Well….. ( a pause meant I wasn’t going to like what is coming next), I am thinking of the Ritz.
You went to buy a Jetta, bought an Altis.

You went to buy a Vento, bought Sunnnnnny.

You started with a Ritz, ended with the holy grail of us droolers - a Beemer.

Wishing to see more such interesting threads and all the very best with your new ride
achopraa is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post

You went to buy a Jetta, bought an Altis.

You went to buy a Vento, bought Sunnnnnny.

You started with a Ritz, ended with the holy grail of us droolers - a Beemer.

Wishing to see more such interesting threads and all the very best with your new ride
I plead guilty.
We have so many options these days to choose from with various segments over lapping. But with the addition of the beemer my garage is finally complete. It really needed that european addition to balance out things.
Old 5th December 2013, 20:18   #72
BHPian

Hey Mohit, how's the car? How do you change FE units in idrive?

Also does anyone here have experience with coding and stuff? I'd really like it if the side mirrors fold when i lock the car, instead of pressing the button for 3-4 sec.

Sorry to hijack your thread Mohit but need some help with a problem i'm facing with my 320d Lux Line. Please check https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assem...ml#post3307952

Mod Note : Threads in the Assembly Line section are not visible to anyone except the thread starter and moderators. Please go through the following announcement carefully. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...ion-about.html

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2013 at 11:56.
Veelubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 20:14   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Hey Mohit, how's the car? How do you change FE units in idrive?
Just go to vehicle settings on the main menu ( its the last option) and then Language/units. Under units you can choose and select between kmpl or ltr/100 kms. As simple as that .

Quote:
Also does anyone here have experience with coding and stuff? I'd really like it if the side mirrors fold when i lock the car, instead of pressing the button for 3-4 sec.
Don't know about this. Would be really interested if someone can tell the same. It is indeed annoying to keep the button pressed and would be much simpler if it can be made to close by default everytime you lock the car.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 11:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more shots of the car. I am so glad that I persisted and went ahead with my original colour of choice: Imperial Blue! It is such a beautiful shade of blue and looks different under various lighting conditions.
BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3-20131128_091647.jpg
Name:  IMG20131129WA0026.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  62.0 KB
Name:  IMG20131129WA0018.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  IMG20131129WA0024.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  83.6 KB
And finally special thanks to Dad for making this dream come true!
Name:  IMG20131202WA0019.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  90.0 KB
drmohitg is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 12:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

^
Nice colour. I am getting a Q3 Quattro Premium+ for my BIL in the same colour... Looks like black in many light conditions.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote