Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 09:52   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 132
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

[*] The headlights are not very powerful.

The palio & other cars which use separate bulbs & reflectors for high & low beams have both of them turned on when the switch is in the high beam position, which someone once told me was in violation of cmvr rules, not sure about it though. In a vehicle that has only a single bulb for both high & low beams, only one filament is lit at a time. So naturally it wont give the high beam spread of the double barrel ones in which both high & low beams are turned on with the high beam switch. The rapids fog lamp beams are focused at a very low level in stock position. Raise its focus just enough ( a simple DIY job) so as not to dazzle the on coming traffic & you can see a marked improvement in night vision.
As regarding your fog light switch issue, the pulled out switch should just snap back in position while turning off all the lamps. I tried to achieve your feat but the moment i took off fingers from the switch, it snapped into off. Get your switch changed under warranty if it is defective.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:01   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 132
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Oh, just forgot to tell one thing. My cars (ambition trim) MID was showing average consumption & DTE instead of outside temperature, for a few days after a battery re-connection and the it went back to the temperature mode on its own. So i guess it should be a simple software job to get this info on MID as all the hardware seems to be there.
crdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:32   #18
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Oh, just forgot to tell one thing. My cars (ambition trim) MID was showing average consumption & DTE instead of outside temperature, for a few days after a battery re-connection and the it went back to the temperature mode on its own. So i guess it should be a simple software job to get this info on MID as all the hardware seems to be there.
Is it so? This is the first time I am reading/hearing this across many forums I have read so far.
If it "can" display MID, the Service Center should be able to configure the same via VCDS, which is user to configure other parameters like auto door locking at 10mph etc.
Did you ask Service center about the same?
Also, was it showing correct figures or just Random values?
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 14:17   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
I would suggest getting it done on insurance from Skoda- i've gotten mine done for 2.5k from skoda for my Octavia RS. Insurance covered the rest.

2.5k breakup-
1k for the insurance claim fee
1.5k for the windshield glue (silicon glue, highly overpriced. but who cares)

The windshield is the only glass which is covered 100% no matter what the age of the car is in all comprehensive insurance packages. (This was till some time ago. I hope the policy hasnt changed)
Thanks for the details. Yes, I will most likely go with Skoda to change the windshield. Meanwhile, I managed to get the quotes. The quotes mentioned below includes the windshield cost, consumables and fitting charges.

Skoda : Rs.8300
Windshield Experts : Rs.6900
Windshield World : Rs.12500 (Exorbitant)

So, it looks like going with Skoda is the best option. Also, I had planned for the first service at around 12000 km than the stipulated 15000 km and since the car has covered 11000 km, it makes sense to complete the service and the windshield replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
The rapids fog lamp beams are focused at a very low level in stock position. Raise its focus just enough ( a simple DIY job) so as not to dazzle the on coming traffic & you can see a marked improvement in night vision.
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I do this? Is it possible to do such adjustments manually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
As regarding your fog light switch issue, the pulled out switch should just snap back in position while turning off all the lamps. I tried to achieve your feat but the moment i took off fingers from the switch, it snapped into off. Get your switch changed under warranty if it is defective.
I guess I need to check the same in my car and if it is defective, will replace it. Thanks a lot.
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 20:30   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Ordered the below items from eBay.

1.Car Cover for Rapid : Rs.690. Fits fine and worth the money. I would not be using it regularly and need it only when I travel to my native.
2.Silicon case for the key : Rs.270. Looks different in blue color.
Attached Images
 
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 11:29   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 132
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Is it so? This is the first time I am reading/hearing this across many forums I have read so far.
If it "can" display MID, the Service Center should be able to configure the same via VCDS, which is user to configure other parameters like auto door locking at 10mph etc.
Did you ask Service center about the same?
Also, was it showing correct figures or just Random values?
Once a frantic search for the key, after not using the car for a couple of days made me realize that i had left the ignition in on with the blower fan running and the battery was drained off. The assistance guy jump started the car & took the battery for a recharge. After this incident, I saw the Avge. & DTE on the MID for a few days. When I mentioned it at the service station, they made me feel like an ass & said that I probably would have mistaken the service reminder for the average & DTE . I am pretty sure that was not the case.
crdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 11:38   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 132
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

@spradheep
The car manual shows how to remove the fog lamp unit. Behind the lamp, there is a black knob like thing with a long stalk .Turn the thing clockwise to raise the beam. If you are able to locate the knob, you can do it even without removing the lamp unit. The whole procedure doesn't require even a single tool.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 17:02   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

I have decided to get the windshield replaced at Skoda service centre itself and dropped the car for the same and also the first service at Vinayak Motors. The quote is Rs.8300 for windshield replacement and Rs.8000 for the service. I have also mentioned the problem of some noise when AC is ON and during acceleration. Also informed them not to do wheel alignment or balancing since I got it done recently at Madhus.
spradheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 15:07   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spradheep View Post
An unfortunate incident happened this week. When I was driving in Bangalore-Chennai highway, some stones from the lorry in front of me hit the windshield.
Careful man, lot of these lorries are overloaded carrying big stones in open and it is very dangerous. They are not bothered about lives, but stay 100 metres behind such lorries.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 16:28   #25
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spradheep View Post
I have decided to get the windshield replaced at Skoda service centre itself and dropped the car for the same and also the first service at Vinayak Motors. The quote is Rs.8300 for windshield replacement and Rs.8000 for the service. I have also mentioned the problem of some noise when AC is ON and during acceleration. Also informed them not to do wheel alignment or balancing since I got it done recently at Madhus.
Are you taking the Insurance or paying from own?
8300 doesn't sound too much and I think the same can be saved in next years NCB. What is your thought?
Is yours a Zero Dep insurance and from which company?
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 17:45   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Careful man, lot of these lorries are overloaded carrying big stones in open and it is very dangerous. They are not bothered about lives, but stay 100 metres behind such lorries.
Yes, but actually the lorry did not have any load. They probably transported some construction materials earlier and did not clean the container properly and there were some stones remained. I was quite some distance behind in the middle lane and when the lorry changed lanes from rightmost to middle, a volley of stones rained on the oncoming vehicles. Some stones hit my car and other cars behind also but unfortunately my car's windshield got the "killer" stone. But you are right, need to be very careful especially with the overloaded lorries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Are you taking the Insurance or paying from own?
8300 doesn't sound too much and I think the same can be saved in next years NCB. What is your thought?
Is yours a Zero Dep insurance and from which company?
This time I did not go with insurance because I had to get the signature and seal from HR (insurance is from the employer) which would have delayed the process by one day. I wanted the car next day since I have planned some trips. If insurance, I should have paid Rs.3500 and the remaining would have been covered. My insurance is from Future Generali.
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 19:47   #27
BHPian
 
Baddychat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Noida
Posts: 306
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Congratulations pradheep on your Rapid. This car is great to drive. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this car!

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 20:54   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Got the car back after the first service and windshield replacement.
Attaching the summary of the costs incurred so far.

First Free Checkup

Odometer : 6600 km
Cost : Rs.3841

Since the car was dirty inside and lot of tar marks on the exteriors (which did not go away with normal washing), I had opted for Interior cleaning and waxing.

Name:  Free_checkup.jpeg
Views: 2182
Size:  95.7 KB<br /> <br /> <b>First Free Service</b><br /> <br />
Odometer : 10800 km<br />
Cost : Rs.7392<br /> <br />
Issues : Noise with AC on acceleration. <br />
Status : It is now resolved, not sure what was the problem though.<br /> <br /> <img src=
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 10:42   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Some interesting observations, Skoda doesnt seem to charge for labor for replacing filters etc, but VW does. Also one to one comparison of parts seem to suggest VW is roughly about 12% higher!

Link to my service bill: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3322599 (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

Comparison of some part prices between the two bills:

Engine oil: Rapid - 3530, Vento - 4170, Percentage diff 15.35%
Filter element: Rapid - 334, Vento - 383, Percentage diff 12.79%
Pollen Filter: Rapid - 579, Vento - 664, Percentage diff 12.80%
Fuel Filter: Rapid - 1124, Vento - 1287, Percentage diff 12.67%
Air filter: Rapid - 342, Vento - 392, Percentage diff 12.76%
LandCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2013, 13:23   #30
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 292
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Some interesting observations, Skoda doesnt seem to charge for labor for replacing filters etc, but VW does. Also one to one comparison of parts seem to suggest VW is roughly about 12% higher!

Link to my service bill: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3322599 (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review)

Comparison of some part prices between the two bills:

Engine oil: Rapid - 3530, Vento - 4170, Percentage diff 15.35%
Filter element: Rapid - 334, Vento - 383, Percentage diff 12.79%
Pollen Filter: Rapid - 579, Vento - 664, Percentage diff 12.80%
Fuel Filter: Rapid - 1124, Vento - 1287, Percentage diff 12.67%
Air filter: Rapid - 342, Vento - 392, Percentage diff 12.76%
No, your Vento bill has the Final amount written with VAT included whereas for the Skoda bill, VAT is added at the end of bill.
Check the initial price in your bill. It is same for Rapid.
Good to see that same part numbers have been priced equally.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Candy white 2014 Skoda Rapid Elegance comes home Pferdestarke Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 91 14th April 2016 15:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks