Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th February 2014, 21:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: My Commuter - Hyundai i20 Sportz Diesel. EDIT, now remapped!

Congratulations deepak,

Nice comparo of the competition.
I20 has oodles of equipment and you cannot go wrong with the reliability and service of Hyundai.

I had one doubt
Does the DRL switch off after the headlight is switched on?

Wish you a very happy motoring for a motoringlover

Last edited by ecosport rules : 25th February 2014 at 22:01.
ecosport rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 22:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Congratulations deepak,

Nice comparo of the competition.
I20 has oodles of equipment and you cannot go wrong with the reliability and service of Hyundai.

I had one doubt
Does the DRL switch off after the headlight is switched on?

Wish you a very happy motoring for a motoringlover
Yes it does ecosport rules, though have seen mods to keep it on, no plans for me on that. Thanks for your feedback.

Best ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 23:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, @Motoring Lover! I agree with your logic of having an oil burner for urban commute and a tar burner for weekend, enthusiastic drives. I wish you many miles of happy commuting.

But given your disposition and propensity for red-lining, I feel you should have stretched your budget and gone for a Polo Tsi, or at least a TDi if you wanted something pocket-friendly. I have a few friends who own diesel i20s, and they say that maintenance is not quite pocket-friendly. One of them spent 18 K on his 4-year old car to prevent oil from getting mixed with the coolant. This apart, almost every paid service cost him around 7 to 9 K.

But I like the way you brought out the pros and cons. The pictures are great too. My next question to you is when are you changing the ICE? The stock one sounds crappy, to say the least. And since you spend more time on this than your RS, this might be your top priority.

Last edited by vnabhi : 25th February 2014 at 23:54.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 23:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats MotoringLover for the i20.

The battery brand is Exide IIRC.

Wishing you many many happy miles with it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 08:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice review, @Motoring Lover! I agree with your logic of having an oil burner for urban commute and a tar burner for weekend, enthusiastic drives. I wish you many miles of happy commuting.
Thanks Venu Saab - it just makes a lot of sense, even if diesel was to be over the price of petrol the math made sense.

Quote:
But given your disposition and propensity for red-lining, I feel you should have stretched your budget and gone for a Polo Tsi, or at least a TDi if you wanted something pocket-friendly. I have a few friends who own diesel i20s, and they say that maintenance is not quite pocket-friendly. One of them spent 18 K on his 4-year old car to prevent oil from getting mixed with the coolant. This apart, almost every paid service cost him around 7 to 9 K.
Venu saab - "my propensity to redline" you are going to get me divorced - , anyways coming back to business, i20 is actually not a slouch either, it does garner pace when needed.

Again coming back to the Polo's like i said, i would have bought it, but past experience of owning a euro car tends to be indicative of a higher maintenance than a jap or korean car, again the goal is city commute, given the space available for redlining is just out of question.

Quote:

But I like the way you brought out the pros and cons. The pictures are great too. My next question to you is when are you changing the ICE? The stock one sounds crappy, to say the least. And since you spend more time on this than your RS, this might be your top priority.
Venu saab, i actually found the stock system ok, may be just a speaker upgrade for later, for the time being i am all set.
Motoringlover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post

Venu saab - "my propensity to redline" you are going to get me divorced - , anyways coming back to business, i20 is actually not a slouch either, it does garner pace when needed.
If you are given a chance of retaining the RS or the spouse, I know what you'd choose, hence my statement above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Venu saab, i actually found the stock system ok, may be just a speaker upgrade for later, for the time being i am all set.
Perhaps they have improved it. The one in the earlier one was among the mediocre ones in the segment, and most people I know have visited Shakir for an upgrade. Being a music buff,I was thinking you'd go that route. And yes, I was only referring to a speaker upgrade, so that you don't lose the steering buttons control.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th February 2014 at 10:26.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 11:21   #22
BHPian

DM,

Alas we all get domesticated in the end, eh. Brilliant choice of i20 for your daily commute. The list of gizmo's is never ending. How do you find the rear bench comfort? I heard from my dealership that both the Verna and i20 have updated suspension settings. I am extremely happy with the Hyundai dealers hope it is same in NCR. Enjoy your ride and rem this is not your VRS.
downsouth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 13:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
If you are given a chance of retaining the RS or the spouse, I know what you'd choose, hence my statement above!
Now all i can say is who needs enemies when you have freinds, but truth be told or in this case not, i case its the same with all enthusiasts.

Quote:

Perhaps they have improved it. The one in the earlier one was among the mediocre ones in the segment, and most people I know have visited Shakir for an upgrade. Being a music buff,I was thinking you'd go that route. And yes, I was only referring to a speaker upgrade, so that you don't lose the steering buttons control.
I can't confirm the improvements, never heard the older stock ICE, but it is pretty good for my usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
DM,

Alas we all get domesticated in the end, eh. Brilliant choice of i20 for your daily commute. The list of gizmo's is never ending. How do you find the rear bench comfort? I heard from my dealership that both the Verna and i20 have updated suspension settings. I am extremely happy with the Hyundai dealers hope it is same in NCR. Enjoy your ride and rem this is not your VRS.
Ahh there you are Chetan, thanks for the advice mate, i was on the fence for a while and i am getting used to diesels, now i know its not a good idea to be doing this in a public forum, I am actually thinking about the verna for my self given i20 is for the wife.

Thanks - ML

Last edited by Motoringlover : 26th February 2014 at 13:05. Reason: Clarification
Old 26th February 2014, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Congratulations and thanks for the great report!
Wish you many miles of happy and safe driving.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 22:29   #25
BHPian

Nice review Motoringlover. Congratulations. You'll never go wrong with an i20. I own a 2011 Sportz CRDi and have almost completed 80K KM without any major issues. Good to see 4 disc brakes in the Sportz variant. The old gen Sportz variants had them only at front. Is that the original boot mat? If yes, it looks from the pic that Hyundai has compromised a bit on quality. The old gen had better boot mats. Wishing you many more happy and safe miles with your i20.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 26th February 2014 at 22:34.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 23:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Congratulations and thanks for the great report!
Wish you many miles of happy and safe driving.
Thank you very much feedback much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Nice review Motoringlover. Congratulations. You'll never go wrong with an i20. I own a 2011 Sportz CRDi and have almost completed 80K KM without any major issues. Good to see 4 disc brakes in the Sportz variant. The old gen Sportz variants had them only at front. Is that the original boot mat? If yes, it looks from the pic that Hyundai has compromised a bit on quality. The old gen had better boot mats. Wishing you many more happy and safe miles with your i20.
I did not know the disc brakes were a recent improvement, I did refer to your ownership experience, thanks for sharing the details. The boot mat was an after market accessory and I ended up keeping a leaking water bottle in a colour fading bag and hence have a colour patch. Thanks for you wishes.

Best - ML.
Old 26th February 2014, 23:55   #27
BHPian

Nice Buy. Sportz give you the best value for money. I am cursing myself for limiting my buy to the Magna (O).

few tips from my side.

1. A small tip in AC usage. move the centre vents to the top most position in case there are rear passengers. The circulation would be better to the rear. There is a very marked difference. Adjust it to lower position if there are no passengers at the rear.
2. The buttons on the flip key gets damages easily. make a habit of pressing it with the flat part of your finger and not the pointed pary such that the nails do not press on them.
3. If you put your park lights on, take out your keys and open the door, the lights go off. So , if you wanna leave the park light on and lock your car from outside, turn off the lights and turn them on again after opening the door. This will ensure they stay ON.
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 05:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Nice Buy. Sportz give you the best value for money. I am cursing myself for limiting my buy to the Magna (O).

few tips from my side.

1. A small tip in AC usage. move the centre vents to the top most position in case there are rear passengers. The circulation would be better to the rear. There is a very marked difference. Adjust it to lower position if there are no passengers at the rear.
2. The buttons on the flip key gets damages easily. make a habit of pressing it with the flat part of your finger and not the pointed pary such that the nails do not press on them.
3. If you put your park lights on, take out your keys and open the door, the lights go off. So , if you wanna leave the park light on and lock your car from outside, turn off the lights and turn them on again after opening the door. This will ensure they stay ON.
Thanks nettooran - magna variant is even greater value for money, stick to it. It's a good buy. Thank you very much for advice on the settings.

Best - ML
Old 6th March 2014, 06:14   #29
BHPian

Default Pictorial - 3

Rear Camera - Love the integration, but notice the dirt.

My Commuter - Hyundai i20 Sportz Diesel. EDIT, now remapped!-rear-camera-dirty.jpg

Rear Camera Feed in the cabin
My Commuter - Hyundai i20 Sportz Diesel. EDIT, now remapped!-rear-view-detail-camera-feed.jpg

Rear camera - Video

Last edited by Motoringlover : 6th March 2014 at 06:16.
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 10:10   #30
BHPian

Default Service Details

All - Please find Service bills attached for your ready reference.

Service Interval - First Free Service.

Mileage at Service - 1287

General Update - No major changes, additives added.

Total cost - Rs1,508/-

Dated - 20th Jan 2014.

Page 1

My Commuter - Hyundai i20 Sportz Diesel. EDIT, now remapped!-hyundai-service-page-1.jpg

Page 2

My Commuter - Hyundai i20 Sportz Diesel. EDIT, now remapped!-hyundai-service-page-2.jpg

Please let me know if you have specific questions.

Thanks - ML.