Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th February 2014, 09:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home

congratulations on this great purchase. I too own a similar one and your thread brought back memories of my purchase. will update you with some must haves for this car. Have been having a trouble free 2 year run now with this car. Its a great all rounder car.
sunny1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations on your ride. Not really a fan of that shade but it definitely stands out. Wishing you many happy miles. We should organize some beemer drive with quite a few BMWs in the NCR BHPian's group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
congratulations on this great purchase. I too own a similar one and your thread brought back memories of my purchase. will update you with some must haves for this car. Have been having a trouble free 2 year run now with this car. Its a great all rounder car.
Thanks Sunny. It will be great if you can share the must haves.
And now you are part of this forum, go ahead and create an ownership thread so that so many of us can benefit as there are very few threads available.
So which model and color do you have?
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 08:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Thanks Sunny. It will be great if you can share the must haves.
And now you are part of this forum, go ahead and create an ownership thread so that so many of us can benefit as there are very few threads available.
So which model and color do you have?
Thanks for the welcome.
I have a deep blue sea colour which I purchased in 2012 jan. I would love to do that but its been 2 years now.So don't know if there is any use considering there has been a model upgrade etc since then. Perhaps I should add my experiences and pictures to your thread itself. The mats you should get are 3 d mats from Star. I myself will get them soon. available in delhi. You can google it. The price is attractive and will collect all the dust mud and food crumbs which usually fall in the car.
I have gotten similar ones for my new ford ecosport. There are many brands but few make them for X 1. And make sure you get ones which have a 3 tier construction with no smell toxicity etc.
Old 8th February 2014, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.
I have a deep blue sea colour which I purchased in 2012 jan. I would love to do that but its been 2 years now.So don't know if there is any use considering there has been a model upgrade etc since then. Perhaps I should add my experiences and pictures to your thread itself. The mats you should get are 3 d mats from Star. I myself will get them soon. available in delhi. You can google it. The price is attractive and will collect all the dust mud and food crumbs which usually fall in the car.
I have gotten similar ones for my new ford ecosport. There are many brands but few make them for X 1. And make sure you get ones which have a 3 tier construction with no smell toxicity etc.
Deep Blue Sea color is also a very awesome color. I can see that you have had great 2 years till now.

You are most welcome to add pictures of your beauty and your experiences here as it will benefit many of us.
I'll check out the mat as I need to pickup one anyways.

Congrats on your Ecosport as well.
Old 8th February 2014, 17:03   #20
BHPian

You must get the following-
1. Mc gard Anti theft nuts as they will give you a peace of mind.
2. A air pump is essential for RFT tyres. get a manual or electric one. I use a manual one as the chances of trouble are much less regarding malfunction wires etc and battery load.
3. Etch the side rearview mirrors asap as they will get robbed sooner or later. They cost upwards of 65 K. only the inside glass pieces. Etching is a DIY . I can provide you the number of a Mumbai guy who will mail you the stickers and etc. will cost you less than 1k
4. Buy a accurate pressure gauge.
5. I ll post pictures later for how to add a reverse camera with GPS which can be fitted neatly and similar to an oem without cutting any wires or voiding warranty.
6. Boot mat im looking for .
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 23:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
You must get the following-
1. Mc gard Anti theft nuts as they will give you a peace of mind.
2. A air pump is essential for RFT tyres. get a manual or electric one. I use a manual one as the chances of trouble are much less regarding malfunction wires etc and battery load.
3. Etch the side rearview mirrors asap as they will get robbed sooner or later. They cost upwards of 65 K. only the inside glass pieces. Etching is a DIY . I can provide you the number of a Mumbai guy who will mail you the stickers and etc. will cost you less than 1k
4. Buy a accurate pressure gauge.
5. I ll post pictures later for how to add a reverse camera with GPS which can be fitted neatly and similar to an oem without cutting any wires or voiding warranty.
6. Boot mat im looking for .
1. McGard anti theft nuts: i'm thinking but not sure as my car is always parked in safe parking
2. Can u post recommended manual pump? pics if possible and time and effort to inflate 1 tyre
3. Will get it done. Do you have the DIY pics?
4. I'm thinking of getting orange TPM as suggested by abhishek2222 in another thread
5. Reverse camera and GPS solution is what I'm also looking for desperately. Pls share.
6. Boot mat: maybe later

Any thoughts on how to upgrade to bi xenon's ?
Old 8th February 2014, 23:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
1. McGard anti theft nuts: i'm thinking but not sure as my car is always parked in safe parking
2. Can u post recommended manual pump? pics if possible and time and effort to inflate 1 tyre
3. Will get it done. Do you have the DIY pics?
4. I'm thinking of getting orange TPM as suggested by abhishek2222 in another thread
5. Reverse camera and GPS solution is what I'm also looking for desperately. Pls share.
6. Boot mat: maybe later

Any thoughts on how to upgrade to bi xenon's ?
Get the nuts. they are cheap. even I have a safe parking but one always goes out for trips etc. service centers parking etc. no one can ever swipe your tyres.
The pump is a normal cycle pump. doesn't take too long to top up the air. Though have never got a puncture in the RFTS I have topped up the air a couple of times. I have used that pump as a life saver several times in all my other cars. It doesn't take too long to fill up a flat. barely 3 mins or so.
The etching is simple. just paste the sticker provided my the person. use a bud to apply etchant provided onto the sticker for a period mentioned. flush with water after that. and peal off the sticker. try it before on plane mirror.Ask the person to provide you a laser cut sticker.
I ll definitely post the pics. You need to get the following
1. Garmin nuvi 2565 LM from volkswagon with a Bluetooth reverse camera. (mrp 22k)
2. a relay used for horns etc. buy a good quality one.
some thimbles and wire
3 a wire connector female/male as connected behind the the 12 volt socket in the boot of the car. Just remove the small trap door next to it.
You will get lifetime updates of the map from garmin. Garmin is probably the company which provides BMW navigation.
This setup will be done after removing the dash storage compartment where the I drive screen is put.
Boot mat I need because I had my paint spoilt on the bumper because of luggage scraping. My golf set is always in the car and often soils the carpet in the boot.
Tmps is always wanted but not sure yet. will look at the orange you have mentioned.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Get the nuts. they are cheap. even I have a safe parking but one always goes out for trips etc. service centers parking etc. no one can ever swipe your tyres.
The pump is a normal cycle pump. doesn't take too long to top up the air. Though have never got a puncture in the RFTS I have topped up the air a couple of times. I have used that pump as a life saver several times in all my other cars. It doesn't take too long to fill up a flat. barely 3 mins or so.
The etching is simple. just paste the sticker provided my the person. use a bud to apply etchant provided onto the sticker for a period mentioned. flush with water after that. and peal off the sticker. try it before on plane mirror.Ask the person to provide you a laser cut sticker.
I ll definitely post the pics. You need to get the following
1. Garmin nuvi 2565 LM from volkswagon with a Bluetooth reverse camera. (mrp 22k)
2. a relay used for horns etc. buy a good quality one.
some thimbles and wire
3 a wire connector female/male as connected behind the the 12 volt socket in the boot of the car. Just remove the small trap door next to it.
You will get lifetime updates of the map from garmin. Garmin is probably the company which provides BMW navigation.
This setup will be done after removing the dash storage compartment where the I drive screen is put.
Boot mat I need because I had my paint spoilt on the bumper because of luggage scraping. My golf set is always in the car and often soils the carpet in the boot.
Tmps is always wanted but not sure yet. will look at the orange you have mentioned.
Interesting Stuff.
Can u share some pictures and from where you have sourced this stuff. I'm in Gurgaon but travel across the country can pickup from any major metro.

About Orange TPMS, its supposedly installed without any wiring and the sensors can last for 7 years inside the Rim. They are connected via RF to the display screen. I just wanted to know how its fixed as apparently the tyre would be taken off the rim to fix it for which I have requested abhishek to share the method. I want to get it done at the BMW workshop just to ensure no problems for my warranty etc.
Secondly I'm looking at the rear camera as well as a Navigation system as suggested by you. So I want to have TPMS, reverse camera and Navigation on the same screen and dont know if its possible. What I can think of is a smartphone with GPS to act as navigator and connected to the rear camera and TPMS sensors via some android app.
I'm putting a pic from amazon
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-orange.jpg  

sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 15:27   #24
BHPian

You can find plenty of these Chinese players on Alibaba or aliexpress which have navigation and reverse camera built for the E84.I have attached a few pictures.

Tpms install guide with pics can be found here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1058609 (DIY: BERU TPMS sensor install for BMW E90 made easy.)
Attached Images

Last edited by abishek2222 : 9th February 2014 at 15:33.
abishek2222 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 20:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
You can find plenty of these Chinese players on Alibaba or aliexpress which have navigation and reverse camera built for the E84.I have attached a few pictures.

Tpms install guide with pics can be found here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1058609 (DIY: BERU TPMS sensor install for BMW E90 made easy.)
Yes even I contemplated fixing this one but you have to attach the canbus to this to make full use of it. Otherwise its just a screen. Besides I don't know how will you update the map or even if it will have indian maps.
Besides you will have to get a wireless reverse camera. Otherwise you will have to rip out the whole car to get the wiring done from the boot lid to the front. I didn't want to do all that. I have just gotten the Indian volkswagen garmin with a 3 year warranty which has a wireless reverse camera with Bluetooth. I m being lazy to put pictures but will do soon. half the way of removing this storage lid is given here. The rest is simple. The gps navigators wire goes behind the dash and into the 12 volt cig lighter socket neatly.
I got it done at the BMW workshop itself when it went in for some repair.
there was no wire cut as the entire install was done within the boot lid. it is wireless. the current was drawn from the 12 volt cig lighter in the boot. The trigger was provided from the reverse light wire. When you provide this trigger from the reverse light you are not drawing any current. When this trigger is provided to the relay it switches on the current provided from the 12 volt charger jack. That way the sensor in the BMW will not detect any extra current drawn from the rear light or cause any malfunction. Besides the current provided to the rear light is pulsed which will not power any rear camera. So this is the only way it can be done. Besides no warranty will be voided this way. These Chinese radios I do not know the reliability and safety. Garmin is a standard company. You do not need any other function from that radio besides navigation and camera. The camera provided by garmin is a perfect fit for the BMW reverse camera socket in you car.
few other cameras will fit like that.
The idea of an 3 G enabled android is the best as the google navigation is far superior to these in dash navigations. But you have to figure out how to install a reverse camera to it.
I would rather put screw on tmps sensors like tyre dog as they are standard awarded products.Installation is a 2 minute job. result is the same. Every time you have to install them(your orange) or do something you will have to realign the tyres which will be a costly gold charged affair. You will find out soon that going to the BMW workshop to install all these things will cost you a bomb. They charge in FRUs and especially that Chinese radio will cost you 15-20k to just rip open the car that is if you manage to convince them to do it. They will void the warranty if you touch the canbus. Once I post my pics you will have a much better idea.
Putting projector lights is again a big headache for which you will have to install controllers in the computer. Retrofitting anything in these cars is not easy as they have a controller for everything. to fit anything requires you to reprogram and fit these controllers. then only that part can be fitted without giving error.
id suggest you enjoy the car without the halogen headlights and focus on the other crazy things in it
sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 22:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Yes even I contemplated fixing this one but you have to attach the canbus to this to make full use of it. .......
id suggest you enjoy the car without the halogen headlights and focus on the other crazy things in it
Thanks Sunny for your valuable insights.
I'm absolutely clear that I'm not going to do any thing which voids warranty so the chinese HID are out.
I want to go for the reverse camera option+nav as you have suggested but how is the display unit of Garmin fixed on the dash?
I like the tyre dog Tpms after googling it. There is no need to open the tyre in this case which I like. But where do i source it from.
I'll upgrade to Projector headlamps once that option is available from BMW as the bumper etc also need to be changed
Old 16th February 2014, 15:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sunny for your valuable insights.
======
I'll upgrade to Projector headlamps once that option is available from BMW as the bumper etc also need to be changed
I have taken pictures and will post them shortly. I tried doing it but since new on this site got into some technical issues.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 23:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I have taken pictures and will post them shortly. I tried doing it but since new on this site got into some technical issues.
Sure, I'm eagerly awaiting your pics. Meanwhile I have crossed 1k and odo now stands at 1100. Every minute I have spent in this beauty has brought great joy. I'll be posting the 1k report also shortly.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:53   #29
BHPian

Sunny, waiting eagerly for the pictures. Contemplating doing it in my X1 as well
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 01:00   #30
BHPian

1K Report
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140215_113456.jpg
I have completed 1k in the X1 and the major observations are:

Engine and Drive
The engine is really powerful. With the D mode, there is a slight lag to get off the blocks. D Mode is very good for leisurely driving and enjoying this car to the full. Sports is very perky and very responsive and ideal for spirited driving. When moving, overtaking and accelerating quickly is very easily done in a breeze. Its firmly planted at all times and cornering etc is very easy without much of a body roll.
Start Stop Mode I feel is more of a nuisance than a help. I now turn off the engine manually at the traffic lights

Ride Quality:
Ride quality for the driver and passenger is quite smooth but its slightly hard for the rear passengers as I'm maintaining 31-38 PSI as told by the dealer, the rear side. Overall, I'm pretty happy so I don't feel any real urge to shift to tubeless

RFTs
I feel the safety benefits far outweigh the slight compromise in ride quality and would not recommend people to shift to tubeless. Just need to have a backup with a compressor and a donut to avoid being stranded if I ever get a flat tyre.

GC and Braking
GC is very good and havnt scraped a single speed breaker or a pothole till now. Braking is very precise and very confidence inspiring and allowing me to floor the pedal once in a while.

Auto Wiper and Head Lamps
I could not fully test Auto wipers but they worked fine during a brief spell of rain in gurgaon.
Auto Headlamps are very cool as I park in the basement at my residence as well as office. It lights up as soon as I enter the basement and need not take your hand off the steering

Music System/Blue tooth and Speech commands
Music system is top notch and extremely good.
Blue tooth works perfectly with my Samsung smartphone. Mic pics up my voice easily. There is a 1 second lag after you press the button to receive the call and before the call starts.

FE
Getting an FE of around 14.5 with light or no AC. I feel that this is really good.

Not So Good Areas:[list=1]
*Start Stop is not of much use
*Horn is very hard.
*No Spare
*Rear Drive Assist is not really confidence inspiring
*Speech Controls are difficult to use due to difference in accent
*Sometimes the name of the caller from the address book doesnt flash.
*No way to mute or cancel an incoming call. If you want to ignore it, it will continue to ring. Else you need to press the call receiving button twice quickly which is a pain.

Overall very happy with the Car. I don't like to come out of the car after the end of every drive. I'm itching to take it to the Yamuna E-way.
he BSI and secure is ensuring that there is no holding back on crunching as many miles as possible in this car.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 26th February 2014 at 01:03.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote