Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2014, 15:33   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

I actually expected that Tata would attempt to add absolutely crucial missing features from the old versions into the new one:

- Disc Brakes
- Hatch (every mechanic has told me that it's difficult to work on the engine due to this). Tata needs to at least pity their own work force and fix this important usability issue.
- Quieter engine

Tata , please focus on functional aspects first to make the car better rather than going about the cosmetic elements of the machine to sell more. A robust machine will sell on its own even without the 'Twists".
Cuatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:46   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I actually expected that Tata would attempt to add absolutely crucial missing features from the old versions into the new one:

- Disc Brakes
- Hatch (every mechanic has told me that it's difficult to work on the engine due to this). Tata needs to at least pity their own work force and fix this important usability issue.
- Quieter engine

Tata , please focus on functional aspects first to make the car better rather than going about the cosmetic elements of the machine to sell more. A robust machine will sell on its own even without the 'Twists".
I hear rumblings of the 3 cyincer version of the REVOTRON engine (which would make it a 900cc) with a turbo (I assume to make it BS 5 compliant) I also hear about this version with discs at front, the power steering is now a reality…..A 3 cylinder would obviously have far better NVH values, the turbo will make the nano a pocket rocket….Oh God, Answer Our Prayers…..!!
shramik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 23:02   #168

Thanks for the quick review; it is quite helpful.

I was the first person to test drive the Twist at the Concorde, Pune showroom Some of the best sales personnel - polite, knowledgeable - I met were at this outlet (I also got to test drive Storme even though I made it clear that I am interested in a small car).

The reason I was here was that we need a car for the wife (already have a Logan at home). The wife didn't want to step in to a Tata showroom and it took a lot of coaxing to get here. Later on, she admitted that TaMo is pretty good and that the sales guys were excellent.

Coming back to the "car for the wife". Travels about 25 kms daily with an odd trip to Mumbai once / twice a month. Budget can be stretched to 5 lacs. My heart is set on the Nano Twist but my wife thinks that is a compromise

So, we have test driven the Grand i10, Brio, Eon and seen the Micra, Figo, Beat, Swift, Celerio, and Wagon R. Whew! From these our shortlist is the Grand i10, Brio and Nano Twist Now, the question is should we wait for the upcoming Datsun Go (and may be the Tata Bolt too or go right ahead? We need to decide in the next month or so.

PS: I am posting this here with the hope that Nano lovers will give a positive response which I can show my wife

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2014 at 11:38. Reason: ONLY 2 smilyes per post. Please read rules of forum before proceeding
charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 06:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Travels about 25 kms daily with an odd trip to Mumbai once / twice a month. Budget can be stretched to 5 lacs.

From these our shortlist is the Grand i10, Brio and Nano Twist
As a satisfied Nano owner, I still think that the referred daily distance calls for a higher segment car, since you have the budget for it. The Hyundai, I'd say. The drives to Mumbai too, I wouldn't use the Nano for that. Unless perhaps you hand over the other car for these and get her a diamond with the rest of the budget!

Last edited by Sawyer : 6th March 2014 at 06:43.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 09:40   #170

I am a proud owner of a Nano Twist which I bought a month back. Already driven 600 odd kms without a hitch. The car is brilliant to say the least but its a car to be driven in the city primarily. For our out station trips, we use my Vista which is infinitely more superior for that purpose. The Nano Twist has hardly any flaws barring the NVH levels from outside at higher rpm but its a tall car with a small footprint nevertheless. Look elsewhere if you want a highway car.
lemans is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 19:41   #171
BHPian

Default Re: The Electric Power Steering

Hello Aditya, and thanks for the review update on the Nano Twist. I'm still waiting for the diesel version before plonking my money. And I'll also add my bit to the chorus of kudos to Tata Motors for their in-house development of the Nano. Its a truly incredible product, keeping in mind that it comes from our country - a relative newcomer to the auto manufacturing fraternity (not counting the licence raj Amby and Padmini brigade !)
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 20:00   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi Aditya ,

I failed to understand why should somebody buy a nano and not go for a preworshipped Maruthi Alto instead

Hello Ecosport,

Re. the above observation, I guess at least some of the people who buy it must be gearheads like me - the idea of a little two cylinder rear-engined urban runabout speaks to the deeps in me (and no I dont have a Nano). Wild horses wouldn't drag me to an Alto or any other FWD-er hatch or sedan, tho' I must admit that my 8 yr old pre-owned Getz is nifty enough! The Nano brings to mind the rear-engined mass-movers of yore - the original Fiat 500/600, the Renault Dauphine among others.
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 14:52   #173
BHPian

@Ecosport - The Nano is the 3rd of the 4 cars I have owned till date. Till recently I had 2 cars(Nano and Mitsu Lancer) and I had to sell one of them as that's all I could afford and practically use especially after Wifey didnt take off on driving by her own in which case I might have retained both cars. Now, when it came to deciding which car to retain of the two, I chose the Nano!!

Reasons:
- I moved to the middle of Hyderabad city from the fringes of the city and most places I visit in the city centre have very narrow roads, with little or no parking space
- I had to cut overall expenses for the 4 wheeler (insurance, fuel cost, maintenance cost etc)

Originally Posted by ecosport rules
Hi Aditya ,

I failed to understand why should somebody buy a nano and not go for a preworshipped Maruthi Alto instead

Dear Ecosport - I could try answering your question/comment as a Nano user for the last 23000 KMS(mostly urban driving).

Try this with the Alto and Nano one after the other:

1. Sit in the front seat of the Nano (especially the front passenger seat) and then immediately go over to the Alto and try sitting in it. I am sure you'd be thinking how on earth did the Nano get so much leg room and head room!? These are similar words that every friend/relative who sat in it uttered. :-)

2. Try doing a three pointer turn in a 10 feet wide road/path while in a Nano. Yes, these are conditions in which I drive in Hyderabad! :-). Then go over to the Alto, and try achieving it. I am sure you will start cursing the road and/or the traffic but not the Alto :-) On the other hand you "will" love the Nano for achieving this for you with no hassle whatsoever! So much so that my wife and I have coined the phrase "the Nano turn" after seeing the Nano effortlessly turn the full circle in the narrowest of roads whereas other cars even in the A segment struggle to do it and eventually end up doing the 3 Pointer to achieve it.

3. Try getting 17-18 Kms / Litre Petrol consistently in city driving conditions with an A/C on with the Alto. Then drive the Nano for a whole month. It would never return less than 17 Kms to a litre at any given time under the same driving conditions.

4. Try getting a superbly maintained Alto of decent acceptable age for less than 1.8 Lacs. Well a Brand new Nano (improved) is slightly more than that price but comes with a lot of peace of mind.

Having said this, a lot of people would say Nano is good only for Urban usage. I totally agree with each one of them , however we did take the little Nano out of town a couple of times. Once it did a Bangalore-Hyderabad (600 kms) in 8.5 hours including a lunch break. Totally dependable I must say.
But at the same time I wouldn't recommend regular highway driving with it. Well for simple reasons, its just too small for the highways.
Cuatro is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 11:10   #174
BHPian

You are so correct!!! I run a W 123 Merc, a W 124 Merc, a Linea & a Nano. Guess which car runs the most in Bangalore's chaotic traffic ??? No prizes…it is the Nano. This is my 3rd consecutive Nano, & I will certainly opt for a new one later this year. Simple economics, as you point out…..18 Kmpl in town with a wonderful AC, minimal insurance, good warranty & service from Tata Motors, sensible depreciation when you sell (how much can you loose on a Rs 2,00,000 car ???)
It the Nano for me !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
@Ecosport - The Nano is the 3rd of the 4 cars I have owned till date. Till recently I had 2 cars(Nano and Mitsu Lancer) and I had to sell one of them as that's all I could afford and practically use especially after Wifey didnt take off on driving by her own in which case I might have retained both cars. Now, when it came to deciding which car to retain of the two, I chose the Nano!!

Reasons:
- I moved to the middle of Hyderabad city from the fringes of the city and most places I visit in the city centre have very narrow roads, with little or no parking space
- I had to cut overall expenses for the 4 wheeler (insurance, fuel cost, maintenance cost etc)

Originally Posted by ecosport rules
Hi Aditya ,

Dear Ecosport - I could try answering your question/comment as a Nano user for the last 23000 KMS(mostly urban driving).

Try this with the Alto and Nano one after the other:

1. Sit in the front seat of the Nano (especially the front passenger seat) and then immediately go over to the Alto and try sitting in it. I am sure you'd be thinking how on earth did the Nano get so much leg room and head room!? These are similar words that every friend/relative who sat in it uttered. :-)

2. Try doing a three pointer turn in a 10 feet wide road/path while in a Nano. Yes, these are conditions in which I drive in Hyderabad! :-). Then go over to the Alto, and try achieving it. I am sure you will start cursing the road and/or the traffic but not the Alto :-) On the other hand you "will" love the Nano for achieving this for you with no hassle whatsoever! So much so that my wife and I have coined the phrase "the Nano turn" after seeing the Nano effortlessly turn the full circle in the narrowest of roads whereas other cars even in the A segment struggle to do it and eventually end up doing the 3 Pointer to achieve it.

3. Try getting 17-18 Kms / Litre Petrol consistently in city driving conditions with an A/C on with the Alto. Then drive the Nano for a whole month. It would never return less than 17 Kms to a litre at any given time under the same driving conditions.

4. Try getting a superbly maintained Alto of decent acceptable age for less than 1.8 Lacs. Well a Brand new Nano (improved) is slightly more than that price but comes with a lot of peace of mind.

Having said this, a lot of people would say Nano is good only for Urban usage. I totally agree with each one of them , however we did take the little Nano out of town a couple of times. Once it did a Bangalore-Hyderabad (600 kms) in 8.5 hours including a lunch break. Totally dependable I must say.
But at the same time I wouldn't recommend regular highway driving with it. Well for simple reasons, its just too small for the highways.
shramik is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 21:56   #175
BHPian

I just test-drove the new Twist XT and it was an amazing drive. It's such a capable car and the Nano has improved a lot since it's initial launch! Since I've been owing one for almost 3 and half years, I've posted a small comparo of the Twist with my car. Please go through it - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3396129

The strong points are still strong and everything else has only got better!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 13:16   #176
BHPian

Hi all,

I think there is no comparison between an Alto, Eon and Nano. Nano is a lot more convenient and comfortable to drive in the city. We have a Nano and Eon in the house, but most of us prefer Nano for day to day use. The same holds for Nano vs Alto. We just sold our Alto (1100) a month ago.

Nano against Eon/Alto (day to day use):

Positives:
1) Much easier to drive/park
2) Better AC and faster cooling
3) Easy access. Comfortable to get in and out

Negatives:

1) Complete lack of boot space. If you are planning on a first car, Eon or Alto would be a better bet just for boot space. For a second car, Nano is your best bet.
2) Cabin noise - Have got used to it now but its much worse than Eon/Alto

In terms of pickup, I find Nano quite peppy in the city. It is quite comfortable till around 80 kms per hour.
Sunnysm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 22:49   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Thanks for the quick review; it is quite helpful.

The reason I was here was that we need a car for the wife (already have a Logan at home). The wife didn't want to step in to a Tata showroom and it took a lot of coaxing to get here. Later on, she admitted that TaMo is pretty good and that the sales guys were excellent.

Coming back to the "car for the wife". Travels about 25 kms daily with an odd trip to Mumbai once / twice a month. Budget can be stretched to 5 lacs. My heart is set on the Nano Twist but my wife thinks that is a compromise

PS: I am posting this here with the hope that Nano lovers will give a positive response which I can show my wife
Hi Charade,

As regards the Nano for your wife, let me share my experience with the car. My wife learnt to drive on the sunshine yellow cutie, in Delhi. She was able to overcome the road-phobia (although tight parking and climbing on ramps / flyovers in less than 5 kmph is still a task) and drives about 35 km one way to office and back, every 5 days a week. It has big and bright headlamps, fog lamps as added lumens + backup lamps, one BIG wiper blade (26" - same as those in the ARIA, which I use to switch the better ones on the Nano). This is a 2010 model LX, the AC is great (3 delhi summers already), the heater is equally competent (required in the foggy / cold days to keep the windscreen clear and occupants comfortable).

The car has done about 24500 kms till date. FE is consistently above 20 kpl during winters and about 18.5-19.5 during summers (with AC). The nano with a PS is a breeze to drive and park, it's an ultimate city car. For its cost and negligible maintenance (the Silver AMC is a great deal), no car comes close ! . Yes, it does not have a hatch and boot space. Come to think of it, I have NEVER used the boot - it is not required in city runs (not if you are transporting luggage + pax). It has a tiny washer fluid tank (about 200 ml which is very less), small 15 Ltr fuel tank (lasts about a week).

Best of all, its cute and outright adorable, yet reliable and efficient.
lifebuoy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:49   #178
BHPian

Spotted testing by MOTOROIDS.
TATA NANO TWIST ACTIVE with AMT.
Tatas are really working hard on the BRAND NANO.
NANO is really evolving .
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 20:30   #179
BHPian

I am planning a car for my Wife. The car would be used mainly to drop the kid in playschool and for my wife's office commute. I am confused between E2O and Nano. My wife just joined a driving school. The daily commute might be only 10 KMS max. Since I have i20, this car would be used for our weekly long drives and grocery runs. I am very confused between Nano and E2O but bit inclined towards E2O. The only issue is that in my apartment we do not have a dedicated charging point for each parking slot. Just due to issue I might end up buying Nano for my wife.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 22:43   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I am planning a car for my Wife. The car would be used mainly to drop the kid in playschool and for my wife's office commute. I am confused between E2O and Nano.
Hi Sabsubs, I am not sure what budget you have in mind. The upfront price differential between Nano and E2O would be significant (my guess is ~ INR 4 lacs). Assuming running costs of Nano as INR 4.5 / km and E2O as INR 0.5 / km, it will take more than 100,000 kms to equalize the costs!

Of course, if you're looking at "go green" option you may want to consider the E2O. However, you also need to consider how green is the electricity that the E2O will consume for charging. Good luck with your decision.

PS: There is something very attractive about the Nano. I am seriously considering other bigger cars like Brio and Grand i10 but I still find myself leaning towards the Nano
charade is offline   Reply With Quote