Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st April 2014, 06:51   #181
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I am planning a car for my Wife. The car would be used mainly to drop the kid in playschool and for my wife's office commute. I am confused between E2O and Nano. My wife just joined a driving school. The daily commute might be only 10 KMS max. Since I have i20, this car would be used for our weekly long drives and grocery runs. I am very confused between Nano and E2O but bit inclined towards E2O. The only issue is that in my apartment we do not have a dedicated charging point for each parking slot. Just due to issue I might end up buying Nano for my wife.
This is also my exact requirement at the moment. I initially liked the Nano but child safety features are an important aspect for me. I find the child safety lock feature missing in the Nano. Not sure if it is there as they have not mentioned it anywhere. Can anyone please let me know whether this feature is available in the new Twist ?
mshooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 15:04   #182
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
Not sure if it is there as they have not mentioned it anywhere. Can anyone please let me know whether this feature is available in the new Twist ?
i did check with the dealer today. no child safety lock feature in the Nano. Big disappointment and of course without this, there is no point in going for this car.
Old 24th April 2014, 17:26   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Hi Sabsubs, I am not sure what budget you have in mind. The upfront price differential between Nano and E2O would be significant (my guess is ~ INR 4 lacs). Assuming running costs of Nano as INR 4.5 / km and E2O as INR 0.5 / km, it will take more than 100,000 kms to equalize the costs!
the battery will need a replacement before 100K Km. . Additional cost, Mahindra is not talking about.
mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 23:44   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
i did check with the dealer today. no child safety lock feature in the Nano. Big disappointment and of course without this, there is no point in going for this car.
The top end NANO comes with central locking. I think that should be enough for most children till they are 4-5 years old.

@sabsubs:

If your wife has just learned how to drive, then I would suggest a 2nd hand NANO. You can buy a 3 year old car for less than Rs.75,000 in excellent shape. Makes far more sense.

Cheers.

Last edited by john doe : 24th April 2014 at 23:51.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 08:30   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The top end NANO comes with central locking. I think that should be enough for most children till they are 4-5 years old.
Cheers.
Yes it should be fine. But my son is just about 3yrs old and quite an inquisitive one :-) so leaving him alone at the back is a bit risky proposition for us. Also, my wife having learnt driving just now, is not ready to take such risks. So for now, I have dropped the idea of buying a Nano and instead looking out for a good second hand car.
Old 28th April 2014, 09:02   #186
BHPian

Having an eleven year old daughter and a six year old niece I can confidently say the child lock is required . I used to drive my daughter in the child seat strapped to the back seat . She would constantly try to open the door when she was younger so does my niece now .
I used to use the child seat in my 2004 alto lxi back then and strap it to the seatbelt according to the instructions given in the manual of the child seat . Always use the child seat for kids and if you have a car with an airbag avoid putting the child seat on the front seat .
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 23:34   #187
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I was planning on buying a small car for my family. I was actually looking at used options such as Alto 06-08 models, used Nano (which are almost non existent), or a WagonR 03-05 models in the range of 1-1.5 lakhs. Just as I was searching, I came across an offer from KVR motors for the new Nano. Offer was for 4 years AMC, 3 years insurance + extras which had a total benefit of 40K rupees!! On a car that costs 2 lakhs!! Anyways, I went to the dealer today, he answered all our queries but was not all that a warm and welcoming person. (Maybe coz it was a Sunday and he wanted to get home).

I took a test drive of Nano LX and Twist back to back and Twist won on the driveability factor hands down. It was such a breeze to drive it. We decided to go for the Twist. Then the shocker started. On getting to the details, the dealer said that the discounts of 40,000 were offered on the non PS versions of the CX and LX alone and not on the Twist. After half and hour of haggling he gave us a discount of, wait for it, 2,000 rupees! We felt a bit shortchanged and said we would come back later.

This is the fare breakup he gave us.

Ex Showroom 249304
Insurance 9525
Road Tax 14813
Incidental Charges 4000
AMC 5619
Discount 2000
On Road 281261

A Twist in the Tale By the time I got back, I got a call from Tata Motors and they said that they could offer me a discount of 10,000 rupees if I went in for the purchase within this week!! They said it was a part of First Car scheme they were running. He said he would communicate the same with the dealer and ensure that we would get the discount.

Guys, I needed your advice whether this is the best offer available now, or if there is any scope of more discounts.

Also, I would love to hear from the existing owners on any possible things I may need to pay heed to while booking or getting the vehicle delivered.

BTW I forgot to mention, I am based in an idyllic town called Thalassery near Kannur in Kerala. If anyone has any suggestion on good dealers around here, that would also be of great help.

Thanks
rsquared
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 01:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
, the dealer said that the discounts of 40,000 were offered on the non PS versions of the CX and LX and not on the Twist. I got a call from Tata Motors and they said that they could offer me a discount of 10,000 rupees if I went in for the purchase within this week!!
... whether this is the best offer available now, or if there is any scope of more discounts.
...any possible things I may need to pay heed to while booking or getting the vehicle delivered.
help.
Hi rsquared, you had mentioned that the 25k in discounts was actually accessories. I think the twist has all these extra accessories as standard. So no offers for what is already given. You end up with a 12k hardcash discount. When and if you book, pls make sure that you have the discount mentioned in writing.

The AMC package has three levels, please check which you'd require.

Regarding the check points while delivery/booking please refer to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68581 (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)

Happy driving!

Last edited by nijelj : 19th May 2014 at 01:58.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 22:27   #189
BHPian

Hi nijelj,

The LX variant (non power steering one) was having a cash discount of 40k. This amount was deducted from the final OTR price. However the Twist was having a cash discount of only 10k. The dealer was not aware of this and he contacted Tata Motors Cochin office and myself, dealer and the Tata employee had a small conversation and finally he said he could offer us this cash discount of 10k if I submitted an RC book copy of any of my blood relatives. They termed this as a 'Welcome Bonus'. I am going to submit it tomorrow and will wait for the discount

Regarding the AMC, we went for the 4 years/30,000 km one for 5619 rupees. I think this should be sufficient for the use that we would have. 4 years/40,000 km was in the tune of 11,000 rupees. Should I spend the extra money and go for the 40,000 km one?

Regarding freebies, the dealer said he would give floor mats, mud flaps, perfume and car wash. I didn't haggle much today. I think I will ask for pillows and seat covers maybe.

Thanks a lot for the PDI check list. That really helps clear all the confusion regarding a new car purchase.

Thanks
rsquared
Old 21st May 2014, 22:00   #190
BHPian

I bought the Twist in February this year and got a discount of approx 15K. Do not recommend the non-PS options. PS makes a huge difference in Nano. Also the non-PS options are usually 2012 and early 2013 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
Hi nijelj,

The LX variant (non power steering one) was having a cash discount of 40k. This amount was deducted from the final OTR price. However the Twist was having a cash discount of only 10k.
Sunnysm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 22:05   #191
BHPian

Thanks Sunnysm. I am going to meet the dealer tomorrow. Will post the updates. Let me conjure all my bargaining skills!!
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:06   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I had a TD of the Twist 2 weeks back. I remember having an issue of my knee rubbing on the console with the first version Nano. But this time, it was much better and didn't have any issues. Over all a good buy [for a first time buyer & may be as a second (city) car] and the PS is extremely nice. The Chennai OTR price was 3.xx which I feel is a bit too high. I personally would prefer a used car (Zen / Esteem / Palio GTX) as an enthusiast for a much lesser price.

Otherwise, the car is still good with respect to space, ride, comfort and ease of use. One thing I noticed though, is a bit of hostility on the road (or is it my perception?)! Any bl**dy guy on the road wants to bully a Nano! People would NOT want to give space to a Nano, honks to glory when stuck behind it, just can't digest when Nano overtakes them and so on!

Or is it Chennai's traffic culture?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd May 2014 at 12:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:19   #193
BHPian

Its not any city's culture, it's the little horn that comes with the Nano :-)

What I did was to remove the big Roots horns that I have on my Enfield ( which I never used anyway) and fit it on the Nano. The nano's horn went to the Enfield.

Life is much calmer now!!!
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:42   #194
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It is a cultural thing, but a small price to pay. Traffic reacts very differently to me when I drive the Gypsy, compared to the Nano. I suspect people think that the Nano is being driven by a learner driver or a lady.
Drive a little defensively, and have the last laugh at tight UTurns and parking spots!
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:06   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Its not any city's culture, it's the little horn that comes with the Nano :-)

What I did was to remove the big Roots horns that I have on my Enfield ( which I never used anyway) and fit it on the Nano. The nano's horn went to the Enfield.

Life is much calmer now!!!
Hee...hee....I did the same for my Nano! Now I find people give way once they hear the horn. Later they kid themselves for having done so!
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote