Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th June 2014, 09:47   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post
Took the delivery on Friday evening. So far the impression is good.
Congratulations on your Car. The car is easy to handle around in the City and has all the features you require to make the city commute a breeze.

Happy Driving

Cheers.
kutoos is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 10:03   #242
BHPian

Lovely looking car.
Btw, I don't understand the need for the following:
1. external antenna - the inbuilt one is good enough
2. black roof - what for? I can never understand why people go in for black roof matting.
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 11:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Took the delivery on Friday evening. So far the impression is good...

A few pics now, taken during PDI.:
Congrats!

The beauty of this car lies in its honest simplicity.

I always wondered TATA could've very well developed a low cost 'super-car' of sorts like DC did with Avanti, but still they chose this. Anyway.

Enjoy the car, wish you happy drives with the little wonder. If possible, do try and put up an ownership report.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 30th June 2014 at 11:06.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 15:26   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Lovely looking car.
Btw, I don't understand the need for the following:
1. external antenna - the inbuilt one is good enough
2. black roof - what for? I can never understand why people go in for black roof matting.
The external antenna is standard fitment. It was always there in the earlier models also. only change is that it has come to front from back.

Black roof is only Aesthetic. What looks good to some may look ugly to others. so no comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Congratulations on your Car. The car is easy to handle around in the City and has all the features you require to make the city commute a breeze.

Happy Driving

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Congrats!

The beauty of this car lies in its honest simplicity.

I always wondered TATA could've very well developed a low cost 'super-car' of sorts like DC did with Avanti, but still they chose this. Anyway.

Enjoy the car, wish you happy drives with the little wonder. If possible, do try and put up an ownership report.
Thanks.

Someone in office was actually wondering that the car has an AC, Power Windows, Central locking, and a company fitted stereo with 4 speakers. I did not even mention power steering.

The problem with TATA's marketing is, potential buyers of the car are discarding this even without seeing it. They assume the car lacks all the above things.
mittal_v2002 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 09:56   #245
BHPian

Quote:
The external antenna is standard fitment. It was always there in the earlier models also. only change is that it has come to front from back.
Oops..sorry to rain on you buddy, but that comment is incorrect. Take a look at my 2012 Lxi model which has internal antenna only. And as far as I remember even the earlier model did not have one.

Not picking a bone with you.

Was just curious why Tata decided to bring the antenna out? The lesser the appendages on the body, the better the streamlining.
Just a thought.
aabidansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 10:04   #246
BHPian

My Observations after driving for 500 Kms:

Today the ODO crossed 500 Kms. My experiences of driving a Nano thus far:

1. Undoubtedly, and not to sound cliched, It's a breeze to drive in the heavy traffic. The power steering provided is very good, in fact when i switch over to my i10, the steering feels heavier.

2. Space, View of the Road, Ground Clearance and I'm tempted to quote from titanic "I'm king of the world". I can tackle those speed breakers and potholes with elan and without the fear of scraping anywhere.

3. Sound quality of the stock music system is above average. Bluetooth connectivity is a blessing as this is the first car i own which has this setup and i'm glad Tata thought about providing this feature. It sure will save me from stopping every time my phone rings.

4. My four year daughter who had to sit in an Alto of my friend remarked " What a chutku car" as she felt that there was more room in the back of her popo (she calls that) car.

No offence intended to any Alto owners as I'm just expressing the view of a innocent four year old.

5. The first refuel produced an average economy of 17.7. This was a mixed mode driving with AC on half the time and driving through varying degrees of traffic conditions. I'm hoping that this will improve once the engine is run-in.

6. Another quirk i noticed was when i driving on the Bangalore bypass with free flowing traffic, the DTE suddenly started showing 13.3 as the AFE, then after some time it showed 20.7 which i assumed to be correct, then suddenly it shot up to 29.7 and stayed three dropping back below 20 only when i entered the City at Katraj. Is this a defect or something to be really happy about? Appreciate if anyone else had the same experience with the DTE.

7. Last but not the least, The Nano's turning radius is great. I've not done a 3-point turn in a long time now after i started using the Nano for my daily commute.

Will post pictures soon.

Cheers.
kutoos is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 13:27   #247
BHPian

Quote:
My Observations after driving for 500 Kms:

Today the ODO crossed 500 Kms. My experiences of driving a Nano thus far:

Cheers.
Absolutely agree with every point you made. I just crossed 200 Kms on my Nano Twist. In the last one month, I bought 2 new cars - A Tata Nano Twist and A Honda City Automatic. For my office commute, I will choose Nano over city any day - it IS a pleasure to drive.

Some other observations:

1. The AC is a chiller - even in Chennai heat, it cools very rapidly and that too with the AC setting on 1 level

2. Turning radius - What turning radius? It turns on a dime!!

3. I love the seating - you get a commanding view of the road. Getting in and getting out of the car is also effortless - though in my case, I do have to push my seat back from my driving position to get out.

4. The audio system in the Nano is far better than the one in Honda City. The blue tooth works better - Nobody can hear me when I use the blue tooth hands free on my Honda but no such problems with Nano.

5. The gear box - especially when slotting into 2nd gear, is notchy though I expect this to smoothen out over time.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 17:42   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
Oops..sorry to rain on you buddy, but that comment is incorrect. Take a look at my 2012 Lxi model which has internal antenna only. And as far as I remember even the earlier model did not have one.

Not picking a bone with you.

Was just curious why Tata decided to bring the antenna out? The lesser the appendages on the body, the better the streamlining.
Just a thought.
Apologies. Was not aware of the arrangement in the previous models.

BTW, I also completed 200 Km on the car today and refilled the tank. The FE as per the car was ~ 17 kmpl. Since I have refilled and reset the trip meter, it is showing 19.x. I hope it to improve.

There is some rattling sound from the transparent fiber sheet on top of odo. Will need to get this tightened during service.

One more point, though I am not a fan of lapbelt at the reat set, and would have preferred a proper 3 point belt, but it is much easier to convince kids to wear the lap belt in Nano than a 3 point in Elantra. They are happily wearing the lap belts.

Inside RVM seems a little smaller to me. Will look for after market alternatives for a little wide mirror. Also, read in the manual that it has a day-night switch, but I am not able to locate that so far.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:13   #249
Senior - BHPian

To those insisting on a 3-Point seat-belt for the rear seat. I have a question : If a lap belt wasn't sufficient, why do planes have just that?
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 21:46   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
To those insisting on a 3-Point seat-belt for the rear seat. I have a question : If a lap belt wasn't sufficient, why do planes have just that?
I think the purpose of lap belt in plane is different from what it is in a car.

The belt is plane is to keep you on your seat in case the plane is passing through a turbulent section, where as in a car this is to save in case of impact. No belt, 2 point, 3 point, 4 point will save you in a plane in a head on collision.
Old 1st July 2014, 22:12   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Also, read in the manual that it has a day-night switch, but I am not able to locate that so far.
The nano twist does not have the day night switch.Adithya mentioned it in the review.

Last edited by nijelj : 1st July 2014 at 22:15.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:26   #252
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, I also completed 200 Km on the car today and refilled the tank. The FE as per the car was ~ 17 kmpl. Since I have refilled and reset the trip meter, it is showing 19.x. I hope it to improve.
Yes, this will increase, currently my AFE s showing 20.8, it was in the range of 18 - 20 after my second filling. Now it is always showing above the 20 mark.

Quote:
There is some rattling sound from the transparent fiber sheet on top of odo. Will need to get this tightened during service.
Same here, have the rattling issue. Will do it at the first service due shortly.

On a different note, did you check the Special Edition vehicle? It was on display last Saturday at the showroom in Concorde Baner. They have provided door visors, decals for the dashboard (sporty themed) and seat covers and neck cushions in the special edition along with a special edition badge

Quote:
Inside RVM seems a little smaller to me. Will look for after market alternatives for a little wide mirror.
Let me know if you find one as I've been looking for one as well.

Cheers
kutoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:25   #253
BHPian

A minor annoyance:

The twist comes with only one remote and two keys. This is irksome as we are two in the family who drive and often swap cars. I had asked the dealer for a duplicate remote, and he says that he has to raise a request with TML/Autocop saying that the original provided is lost/misplaced and request for a duplicate one.

I may have to pay for the spare remote and would appreciate answers from other bhp-ians if they had ordered an extra set of remote opener? Kindly provide the cost as if this is too expensive, may have to shelve this idea for now.

Another concern i have is that i noticed that the rear bench's back support, the area closer to the engine gets a bit warm when i drive in stop-n-go traffic. This was not noticeable earlier as i had the AC on, but without AC i felt it to be warm. Any other owners here faced such issue before and would appreciate your response.

Can the above be avoided using another set of damping mats?

However, on the plus side, the engine has become more silent now. Except for the grating noise when accelerating, there is not much noise when it is cruising

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:28   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Same here, have the rattling issue. Will do it at the first service due shortly.

On a different note, did you check the Special Edition vehicle? It was on display last Saturday at the showroom in Concorde Baner. They have provided door visors, decals for the dashboard (sporty themed) and seat covers and neck cushions in the special edition along with a special edition badge

Let me know if you find one as I've been looking for one as well.

Cheers
My wife reminded me about the same rattling noise in the test drive vehicle. This needs to be fixed in the service.

Did not see the special edition ? is it Special edition Twist or Lx ? They had something similar in the beginning of year 2013 also. What is the extra charge for this special edition ?

I will scout for the RVM over weekend. will let you know if I find one.

Quote:
A minor annoyance:

The twist comes with only one remote and two keys. This is irksome as we are two in the family who drive and often swap cars. I had asked the dealer for a duplicate remote, and he says that he has to raise a request with TML/Autocop saying that the original provided is lost/misplaced and request for a duplicate one.

I may have to pay for the spare remote and would appreciate answers from other bhp-ians if they had ordered an extra set of remote opener? Kindly provide the cost as if this is too expensive, may have to shelve this idea for now.
Let me know too, if you find an answer/cost for the same.

Quote:
Another concern i have is that i noticed that the rear bench's back support, the area closer to the engine gets a bit warm when i drive in stop-n-go traffic. This was not noticeable earlier as i had the AC on, but without AC i felt it to be warm. Any other owners here faced such issue before and would appreciate your response.

Can the above be avoided using another set of damping mats?

However, on the plus side, the engine has become more silent now. Except for the grating noise when accelerating, there is not much noise when it is cruising

Cheers
I am not sure about the heating on rear bench, but I did ask the guys at Pandit auto for an additional set of damping mats. If you notice, the damping mat on Twist is different from what they provided on Lx. The one on Lx is thicker, but a little shabby. The one provided with Twist is thinner, but all the seams are done nicely and you can not see the insulating material. But this does not fit snugly on the engine cover. I, in-fact asked them to provide me an extra mat from Lx, I would want to put that on the engine cover and than top it with the one that is provided with Twist. This definitely will reduce the heat (if any) and engine sound to some extent.

I was told this is not available as spares.

My car has done ~400 Km and I also felt a smoothness in the car after ~250 Km. It is much responsive to right foot now and it is difficult to keep it under 60 kmph now.

The stereo is very loud when I am playing the music through USB or FM, i Just keep the volume to 4-6 points. However, while playing the same file through my android phone, using AUX port, I have to increase the volume to 20+ points. (Phone's volume was max). Through my wife's iPhone, the AUX port did not work at all.

Last edited by mittal_v2002 : 3rd July 2014 at 14:30.
mittal_v2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:56   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Did not see the special edition ? is it Special edition Twist or Lx ? They had something similar in the beginning of year 2013 also. What is the extra charge for this special edition ?
It was a Twist Special Edition. The one in Concorde was a Damson purple color with the extra features mentioned. I did not ask for the price the dealer mentioned something about launching it for the upcoming monsoon deal, though not sure.

Quote:
I will scout for the RVM over weekend. will let you know if I find one.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Let me know too, if you find an answer/cost for the same.
Will update once i hear back from the dealer. He has promised to give me an update by end of next week.

Quote:
I was told this is not available as spares.
I'm more inclined to try and talk to the sofa refurbishing shops and see if i can get one custom made. Will update you if i find any good option.

Quote:
It is much responsive to right foot now and it is difficult to keep it under 60 kmph now.
Yes sir, it's zippy and fun to drive around now.

Quote:
The stereo is very loud when I am playing the music through USB or FM, i Just keep the volume to 4-6 points. However, while playing the same file through my android phone, using AUX port, I have to increase the volume to 20+ points. (Phone's volume was max). Through my wife's iPhone, the AUX port did not work at all.
I've not tried the AUX connection yet on the NANO, did not find the need for it honestly speaking. But my experience in my i10 is the same as you had described, i have to increase the phone's volume to the max as well as increasing the audio system's volume to 10 or 12 to have a good audio output.

However, if your phone can be paired with the Nano's music system, play it over the bluetooth, the clarity is crystal. and is also easy to use as the Nano remembers your phone.

CHeers