Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th January 2014, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

I think the power assisted steering and improved, ergonomic pedal placements have sorted out most of the "functional" deficiencies. What TML now needs is an aggressive ad campaign and quickly work towards both a diesel spanning the entire range (city cab to top-end) as well as a fully-specced, next-gen Nano. Best of luck.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 20:31   #17
BHPian

That's a lot of updates to the little Nano. The car looks very pretty and premium in the new Purple. Happy to see power steering finally and eagerly await a version with front disc-brakes.

They're certainly listening to their customers' feedback unlike certain car makers from a certain European country (uhum).

However, I'm not sure if anything will help with sales until they bring in a diesel - that would garner a lot of eyeballs and sales.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 20:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review. The Nano has come such a long way since its launch even if it doesn't reflect in its sales figures. The gloveboxes, ICE with all the features, MID give it such a much needed touch of luxury. And the purple shade looks quite nice. But I am not sure what Tata really wants. The car's features were never a issue. Its the image that needs a transformation. And I don't see any effort on that front.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 20:45   #19
BHPian

Nice updates, being a Nano owner below are the features I really appreciate.

1)Power steering - was needed for my wife.
2)DTE - Absolute necessity with a tiny tank.
3)Clutch pedal lowered, will reduce pain on ankle in stop go situations.

Such a great feat of engineering should not be lost, and I hope TATA is able to steer this car in the right direction. After all it is a car which they feel proud about.
silverado is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 21:08   #20
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2014 at 14:56.
soarer is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 13th January 2014, 22:08   #21

Nice and compact review. For the price point its provides a very good urban vehicle, though it could have featured some safety equipment. But then again, at this price point its simply not possible.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Typo
docswarna26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 23:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
BTW what is the sport and eco mode in the MID? Looks interesting.
Seems the new cluster is a common one - and will be shared with the Nano CVT when it hits the market later
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 23:30   #23
BHPian

i like the new interiors and glove boxes it offers. purple seems to be attractive as well. hope it rings the sales charts too.
Sweet Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 23:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sad it doesn't have day night mirror. A classic blunder.

With the added 60kg weight what will be the impact on the fuel economy?

Does the car now have same broad tyres at front and back? If so is the spare wheel of equal size or narrow?
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2014, 23:59   #25
BHPian

I don't understand the reason for this variant with minor tweaks. Why not have proper upgrades. Where's the twist? In the fact that there are no major changes apart from power steering!! They are not doing the brand any favours as when they really do something substantial people would have stopped paying attention.

Last edited by Caramba : 14th January 2014 at 00:00.
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 01:15   #26
BHPian

@ Soarer, If that was possible, they wouldn't have been offering discounts on the 2013 Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
...Does the car now have same broad tyres at front and back? If so is the spare wheel of equal size or narrow?
No. Being RWD & rear engined, the smaller wheels in front are not just for ease of steering but meant to prevent oversteer.

Anyway, with EPS, atleast the Twist looks like a female friendly offering.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2014 at 14:57. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Thanks
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 02:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
I don't understand the reason for this variant with minor tweaks. Why not have proper upgrades. Where's the twist? fact that there are no major changes apart from power steering!! They are not doing the brand any favours as when they really do something substantial tantial people would have stopped paying attention.
What do you mean by proper upgrades? Airbags, ABS, EBD, disc brakes, steering mounted controls, sunroof, umbrella in the rear door,DiCOR engine ? That would make the nano not so nano, don't you think? I wouldn't see anyone shelling out 3.5 + lakhs even if Tata does come out with it thanks to its initial controversial background and I certainly wouldn't see their sales charts hitting the roof.

I think that Tata saw fit to plonk an electric steering into the nano because it really needed one! If people prefer to sit in the lap of exclusive luxury or seek outright performance, I'm sure there are other cars. It already has a fantastic music system, bone chilling air conditioning and now an electric steering with revamped interiors . The nano is nothing more than an absolute gem of a city car and please don't expect anything more too, for 2.4 lakhs. For the price you pay, I'd be lying if I said that the nano doesn't bring a smile to one's face.

P.S: I don't own a nano, I just think it's a great little car for the price it comes with.

Last edited by createrkid : 14th January 2014 at 02:47. Reason: Removed unnecessary redundancy + grammatical errors
createrkid is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 03:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

I like the way Nano is evolving. Sometimes the upper management has to keep faith in a Brand and keep working on improving it. Good to see that Tata has not abandoned Nano.

But million dollar question: Does it still sound like an Auto Rickshaw?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 08:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi Aditya ,
Thats a nicely written review inspite of the fact that the car offers only few upgrades.
I drive the 2012 nano and was absolutely dissatisfied, hope there is improvement in this one.

The pedal arrangement seems to be better now
I failed to understand why should somebody buy a nano and not go for a preworshipped Maruthi Alto instead
I guess it's because of the space you get inside and fuel economy with a new car smell will be the icing on the cake. Alto on the other hand is cramped on the inside, low seating, old car (read used). THat's my opinion, but for me the questionwould be why would anyone buy a car when they can buy a MUV/SUV?
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 09:29   #30
BHPian

I am not sure of the designers state of mind when they think of built-to-cost products, be it Toyota (etios) and here Tata (nano). Is it necessary to have a central aligned instrument cluster for every cheap product?

If Tata's are considering changes, they should consider following:

- Disc Brakes
- Hatch opening (5th door)
- Driver aligned instrumentation cluster

They can also consider a 2 door version with sports package, I don't mind a small 2 door car, was considering 2 door Zen earlier but then it went out of production and I generally don't go for preowned cars.

Last - when the previous versions are not finding buyers, was it really necessary to increase the price with these additions? They need cars on the roads at this point and time and not few thousand rupees of additional profit per car sold !

Amazing Tata's

Last edited by i74js : 14th January 2014 at 09:34.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote