Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th May 2015, 00:46   #571
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWheels View Post
@freakmuzik That's some deal!! Tried to get my LX exchanged for the Twist, but the dealer estimated the exchange value to be 65000. And that is some offer, I would never accept. Never knew that price depreciation for Nano, would be such.
Still if you have a Nano XT in mind, why not the AMT.
They evaluated my car for Rs. 65,000 plus an extra 20,000 as part of their new exchange programme - that sums it up to Rs. 85,000. I'm going to get my car valued by other used car dealers in the next few days to get an idea.

Regarding the AMT, i don't find the need for an Automatic as I love fiddling with the gears. Plus with an on-road price of 3.5 lacs for the AMT, i can't afford it right now (I'm a student & a very young artist, so you can guess & adamantly want to fund this myself). I missed the Power steering and refinement, which is very well present in the XT and I need to shell out much lesser an amount for the XT compared to the AMT. Hence the decision. I'm also looking for used XTs if any and bargain for further deals with Mohandas since anyways this is going to be a clearance sale for Tata!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 09:41   #572
BHPian

@freakmuzik Well even I am thinking of the latter. Going for a used XT makes sense, but I don't think getting an XT in the used car market would be easy. I would suggest you to try local newspaper classifieds to dispose off your Nano. Atleast they have worked fine for me in the past. Btw good luck buying the XT
DieselWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 07:08   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
People who dont mind having a closed boot, this is an awesome time to get a Twist! You can push for more discounts maybe I guess
IMO, neither the closed boot nor the power steering are major needs in a Nano type car. I would not exchange my 2013 car for one with those features even if I had to pay nothing extra because they only add complexity and weight to the car.
On the other hand, the late 2013 cars have all that the current cars have, in terms of internal and external fit/finish/NVH that the current cars have.
I don't know if the Nano is still sold in a fully loaded version that does not have power steering - if so, it must be cheap and an excellent buy. As would be a used one from someone that wants to upgrade. A decent late 2013 model car, with not too many kilometres run, should be a great buy in the used market, for about Rs 120-130k. Warranty still extends to late 2017.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 09:20   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
IMO, neither the closed boot nor the power steering are major needs in a Nano type car. I would not exchange my 2013 car for one with those features even if I had to pay nothing extra because they only add complexity and weight to the car.
On the other hand, the late 2013 cars have all that the current cars have, in terms of internal and external fit/finish/NVH that the current cars have.
I don't know if the Nano is still sold in a fully loaded version that does not have power steering - if so, it must be cheap and an excellent buy. As would be a used one from someone that wants to upgrade. A decent late 2013 model car, with not too many kilometres run, should be a great buy in the used market, for about Rs 120-130k. Warranty still extends to late 2017.
I partly agree but the moment I test drove the twist, I realised the much improved convenience of the twist! Small steering with a very easy Power Steering along with a car like Nano makes parking easier than a breeze! In the Non- PS Nano, it does take some effort for you to squeeze into small gaps with the hard steering at standstill speeds, especially when you consider ladies driving it (my mom and sister, in my case).

Till I test-drove the twist, I was under the belief that I'll be super happy with a Non- PS Nano but the moment I test-drove it, all my beliefs changed!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 08:29   #575
BHPian

The stock horn provided with my Nano twist had cracked for some months and was sounding very weak. The sound had become such that hardly anyone would bother giving way to you.

Yesterday while getting a good sunfilm fitted, on an impulse went ahead and fitted skoda horn to it. I lile skoda / vento horn. The sound is deep and not irritating. The difference was immediately seen with everyone giving way to me thinking it must be skoda or vento. :-)

This was an impulsive decision and I did not really give much thought. However will this not affect any warranty or have any impact on battery life etc?

The technician said that since he has not cut anything there will not be any such issue. And also it will not have any strain on battery etc.

Right now am busy enjoying my Nano skoda! :-)
SSD2122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 12:03   #576
BHPian

Quoting my own post from June, last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Driving from Pune to Pimpri just before Nashik Phata, start looking for a big Tyre showroom ( Mehta?), followed by a small Bullet bike garage, followed by a small tapri called DARVESH HORN WORKS, all on your left side.The owner is Mohammed and very good at his job. He also keeps good Hella horns for sale.

Use a relay , even if you want a smaller horn set. BTW, I have tried till date 3 different horns sets after the original toy horn. From the smallest Pulsar horns to the Megasonic Enfield horns to what I am using now, the Skoda type. I suggest the best horns for a car, especially a small car is the Skoda type. Not too loud and irritating, yet effective in this @#$%^*& Pune traffic

All brands are ok. I think you will find Minda trumpet / fanfare horns very reasonably priced.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 12:24   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I partly agree but the moment I test drove the twist, I realised the much improved convenience of the twist! Small steering with a very easy Power Steering along with a car like Nano makes parking easier than a breeze! In the Non- PS Nano, it does take some effort for you to squeeze into small gaps with the hard steering at standstill speeds, especially when you consider ladies driving it (my mom and sister, in my case).

Till I test-drove the twist, I was under the belief that I'll be super happy with a Non- PS Nano but the moment I test-drove it, all my beliefs changed!
I test drove the new car and thought the same. I was expecting to pay something around 50k more to get the PS. But they quoted around 70k for my 1 year old car that has run 4k kms. Which means I'll have to spend around 1.7l to get the PS. Not a worthy proposition.
shifu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:50   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
The stock horn provided with my Nano twist had cracked for some months and was sounding very weak.
@SSD2122, where did you change the horn and how much did it cost? Alos dd you notice any degradation in the battery when starting the vehicle in the mornings?
kutoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 18:10   #579
BHPian

@kutoos, got it changed at Bhandari Auto Agency, J. M. Road. Cost me Rs. 1100

No, did not see any degradation in battery as such. I had checked it with the technician if fitting this would affect anything in particular. He said nothing would happen.

I have also enquired on the same in my earlier post just to be sure.
SSD2122 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 08:34   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
But they quoted around 70k for my 1 year old car that has run 4k kms.
Is that a 2013 late year LX? If so, cars like yours should soon be available used, with significant warranty on them, for less than Rs 1 lakh.
All the bells and whistles except PS, AMT and openable boot.
An unintended fulfilment of the Ratan Tata promise! And an excellent buy because his promise did not include AC, 4 speakers BT music system and the interior quality of the 2013 car.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 17:18   #581
BHPian

After driving about 2k km in the last 3 weeks, I would like to share a few observations about the Twist.
Good things:
  1. It is very easy to maneuver in the city (cliche).
  2. The beige cabin looks better and you do not feel like you're driving an air conditioned go-kart.
  3. Good suspension. Not abuse friendly, but definitely stronger than the previous model.
  4. Very good NVH as compared to the pre-2012 model.
Things which could be made better:
  1. Low end torque : I drive with a light foot and I feel very sad to see my car struggle with passengers on board while climbing fly overs and parking ramps. You have to flog the engine to make the car move and I hate doing that.
  2. Heat from the engine: Despite additional layers of insulation, a lot of heat does affect the temperature of the stuff kept in the storage space behind the rear seat. It has definitely improved, but it could be made better. You should be careful about keeping meat/milk/perishable food in the boot if you're driving for a long time because the heat might accelerate the decay.
  3. Attitude of the dealer: My dad had to go to the RTO to get the number plate installed. If I had bought an Alto 800, the showroom folks would have taken care of this.
If I were to compare this vehicle with an Alto 800, I would say that it is a better product with an inferior service quality. Just a few kilometers after the first service, I found that the central screw that holds the silver console was a bit loose and started creating a highly irritating rattle. A simple tightening exercise with a screwdriver solved it but I do not think any new car owner would like to see a niggle within 2000 km of very sedate driving. I wish the company would understand the importance of feedback- right now, the SAs plead with you to give them 9+ points out of 10 even when you have a few things to share. As a customer one should ideally be pragmatic while giving the rating but that would spoil the relationship with the service team and that is not something that you'd like to do at a TASS. I am a happy customer so far and I hope things stay that way.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 18th May 2015 at 17:19.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 07:13   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
the SAs plead with you to give them 9+ points out of 10 even when you have a few things to share. As a customer one should ideally be pragmatic while giving the rating but that would spoil the relationship with the service team and that is not something that you'd like to do at a TASS. I am a happy customer so far and I hope things stay that way.
My experience is with Concorde is that like everywhere else in India, finding and keeping good young people is a challenge for them as well. Things gets better as you go up the management ladder and I have found that escalating things to a higher level in the same Concorde location gets things resolved satisfactorily and quickly, without increasing your stress levels too much. At the normal interface level, the wisdom and experience to get this done is usually missing.

There is also a much better chance of the senior person still being there the next time you go for service, so that is where good relationships need to be built and maintained.

In two years, my after sales experience for the Nano is at the same level as it is for my Toyota and Maruti cars. Close to excellent. The only difference is that in Toyota this is less dependent on relationships.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 07:51   #583
BHPian

A test drive with the new Nano AMT was disappointing . I had some expectations. I found it useless even for the city traffic. Brakes are very spongy and the engine lacked any sort of punch . Difficult to close gaps in bumper to bumper traffic. The gearbox takes its own sweet time to do its work.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 08:12   #584
Senior - BHPian

My view remains that the best version of Nano is the 2013 late model LX.

Tata is taking a simple car and adding cost, complexity and weight to it, taking away its essence in the process. The more they do this, the more performance and reliability will suffer.

Next will be a more powerful engine. Which will call for disc brakes. And so on.

What will a more powerful engine achieve? It will just make it better suited for highways, but no matter what they do, they can't cheat the basic laws of physics dictated by the design that will not allow it to be crashworthy at highway speeds no matter what.

Nano is a nifty, cheap and simple to maintain city car, and the 2013 LX allows all of that with an interior that does not feel low rent. No more, no less.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 15:21   #585
BHPian

^^^^^^^
I had a talk with one of my friends who knows inside info about Telco. He told me the next launch will be the the Nano with the bigger engine and the disc brakes.
Whatever you have written is what I told him- especially the fact that the car won't get any safer at higher speeds, when as it is one shouldn't be touching more than 80 in this car on any road!

The manual version of the latest Nano seems like the answer to a question that nobody asked- why would I not buy the Twist at massive discounts?
The only reason to buy the GenX or whatever it's called is the AMT. If you don't need it, then why this car over the Twist, or even better, a pre-owned Twist? :-)

Last edited by john doe : 26th May 2015 at 15:26.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote