Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th September 2016, 12:09   #646
Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
How does one check the oil level? By unbolting the rear covers? Under warranty, I just don't bother;
Hi Sawyer,
Yes! That is exactly what I did as I did not want to take a chance of running the engine without oil.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that one has to compromise a lot if you own a Nano and after 4 years of compromising, I am tired of it.
I will never buy another Tata product again- unless they launch a Nano Turbo with 85bhp.

Cons :
1. Iffy after sales service with pathetic waiting room.
2. Having to drive 50 Kms each way for servicing. (My personal problem)
3. Not able to fit any additional accessories like foglights, amp etc.
4. Restricted top speed.
5. No rear wash/wipe. No rear defogger.
6. No internally adjustable mirrors.
7. Very difficult to disconnect the battery when we leave the car for extended periods. (My wife has to carry out this task as I can't reach the terminals)
8. Different size tyres. Pain when you have a puncture.
9. No possibility of upgrading tyres.
10. Have to remove the spare tyre to check the nitrogen.
11. Small fuel tank means more stops at the fuel stations (addressed in newer models).
12. Having to open the bonnet to fill fuel.
13. Wiper that does not clear the passenger side of rain drops. Also obstructs driver visibility to a certain extent.
14. Poor mileage. The maximum I have ever got is 16.5 Kmpl. This in Goa with relatively light traffic. In Bombay I don't think I would get even 12 Kmpl.
15. Reflections from the windscreen make the dashboard digital readout unreadable in the day.
16. Having to open 6 tight wing nuts to check the engine oil and/or coolant.
17. Hard OEM seats which need covers with extra sponge padding.
18. Noisy engine.
19. Poor rear visibility. (Can be solved with reverse sensors).
20. Poor resale value.
21. Parts can be expensive. (I paid Rs. 2300 for a second remote as the car only came with one. Broken windscreen cost Rs. 7000.00. Outside door mirror costs Rs. 700. Brake cleaning costs Rs. 450.00 and they start squealing again after 24 hours! ). Alto repairs would cost less.

Pros :
1. Small size with excellent power steering making it easy to fit into small gaps and to park. Ideal for the narrow village roads in Goa.
2. Effective A/C.
3. Reasonably good pick up (1st & 2nd gears) on level roads.
4. Easy ingress and egress.
5. Huge space inside for all 4 passengers. Every single one of my friends who has sat in the car is shocked by the huge space it offers.

As one can see the "Cons" far outweigh the "Pros" and I see no reason not to replace this with a Waggie.

On the other hand, if one considers it as a scooter with 4 doors and an A/C then it does the job.

suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 12:57   #647
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Lol. On the other hand, I don't use any other car in Pune these days; even my wife's Liva feels too big, let alone my son's Civic.

I have had no trouble with my car, not even a flat. And Concorde service, once I remind them of my connections in TML every time the car goes for its annual service, is fantastic.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote