Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2014, 07:51   #106
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,322 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
My other issue is that the manual says cruise control works post 40kmph but could be the manual is an international version and Honda has tweaked the settings for India...
I don't find practical sense in having cruise control below 40 kmph. Speeds above 50 kmph is more than City speed limits hence cruise control starts after that.

Honda I don't think will use the sane international version manual. They will tweak the car and the manual before releasing.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:00   #107
BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 659
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I don't find practical sense in having cruise control below 40 kmph. Speeds above 50 kmph is more than City speed limits hence cruise control starts after that.

Honda I don't think will use the sane international version manual. They will tweak the car and the manual before releasing.

Anurag.
The manual does clearly state 40 kmph and the service engineer says cruise control works only in top gear which u can shift to at 65+. And as of now I tried in top gear and it worked. Not sure if anyone managed cruise at 40 as per the manual...
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:04   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,322 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

The manual does clearly state 40 kmph and the service engineer says cruise control works only in top gear which u can shift to at 65+. And as of now I tried in top gear and it worked. Not sure if anyone managed cruise at 40 as per the manual...
I agree Srivatsa sir about the speeds mentioned in the manual. No objection to that but what point I'm trying to make here is, there is no point in having cruise control activated below 40kmph speeds as it doesn't make sense.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd March 2014 at 08:11.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:14   #109
BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 659
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree Srivatsa sir about the speeds mentioned in the manual. No objection to that but what point in ring to make here is there is no point in having crosser control activated below 40kmph speeds as it doesn't make sense.

Anurag.
I guess we were referring to different things. Yes cruise is not much use below 40... I am trying to figure out what is the lowest speed at which it really works and whether the manual is in error when stating 40...
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 08:31   #110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,322 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

I guess we were referring to different things. Yes cruise is not much use below 40... I am trying to figure out what is the lowest speed at which it really works and whether the manual is in error when stating 40...
Sorry Sir if I'm confusing things here.

Answer to that will come when you can go for a drive to check till when the cruise control can be activated. I guess 50kmph should be minimum limit.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:11   #111
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,186
Thanked: 8,562 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

I tried using the cruise control at 60 kph this morning but somehow I could not test it properly due to excessive traffic and incessant rains in the city. Some pics I took today:
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01157.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01160.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01206.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01190.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01176.jpg  

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family-dsc01164.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:16   #112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Congratulations //M. The car looks stunning. Have a safe ride.
azhar915 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:43   #113
BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 659
Thanked: 521 Times
Thumbs up Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I tried using the cruise control at 60 kph this morning but somehow I could not test it properly due to excessive traffic and incessant rains in the city. Some pics I took today:
Here is what I tried, I activated cruise at around 90 kmph, then used the "+" keys to take it to 100 and "Set" it to 100.

Then I had to brake due to some other vehicles and the "Cruise Control" light went off. Now I did not turn the other "Cruise" light off and the earlier setting was still retained. I dropped the speed all the way down to about 65 kmph and then hit the resume button ("RES/+") and the Cruise Control mode resumed and automatically increased the speed of the car all the way back to 100 kmph. It does accelerate quite quickly and I felt a bit taken aback for a while seeing the auto acceleration happen

I have not been able to use Cruise Control so far in any other gear apart from the Top gear (6th gear).
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 19:56   #114
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,186
Thanked: 8,562 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Here is what I tried, I activated cruise at around 90 kmph, then used the "+" keys to take it to 100 and "Set" it to 100.

Then I had to brake due to some other vehicles and the "Cruise Control" light went off. Now I did not turn the other "Cruise" light off and the earlier setting was still retained. I dropped the speed all the way down to about 65 kmph and then hit the resume button ("RES/+") and the Cruise Control mode resumed and automatically increased the speed of the car all the way back to 100 kmph. It does accelerate quite quickly and I felt a bit taken aback for a while seeing the auto acceleration happen

I have not been able to use Cruise Control so far in any other gear apart from the Top gear (6th gear).
Today I used cruise control at 65 kph in the 5th gear. Then braked and resumed it a couple of times and its working all good. Also checked the "-" and "+" buttons to decrease and increase speeds respectively while the cruise button was on. While the cruise button was on, I shifted into the 6th gear and the cruise was still on. Accordingly I increased speeds by using the "+" button.

Yes, during the resume mode the car accelerates quickly back to the speed on which the cruise was set on prior to braking.

So the cruise control very much works in the 5th as well as 6th gears at speeds as low as 60 kph.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 20:54   #115
BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 659
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Today I used cruise control at 65 kph in the 5th gear. Then braked and resumed it a couple of times and its working all good. Also checked the "-" and "+" buttons to decrease and increase speeds respectively while the cruise button was on. While the cruise button was on, I shifted into the 6th gear and the cruise was still on. Accordingly I increased speeds by using the "+" button.

Yes, during the resume mode the car accelerates quickly back to the speed on which the cruise was set on prior to braking.

So the cruise control very much works in the 5th as well as 6th gears at speeds as low as 60 kph.
That's good to know. I agree the acceleration is quick - feels like there is a automatic full throttle going on. The Resume makes the Cruise Control very useful. I managed to resume multiple times on a recent trip. I haven't been able to get Cruise Control to activate in the 5th gear yet.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 21:17   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

Today I used cruise control at 65 kph in the 5th gear. Then braked and resumed it a couple of times and its working all good. Also checked the "-" and "+" buttons to decrease and increase speeds respectively while the cruise button was on. While the cruise button was on, I shifted into the 6th gear and the cruise was still on. Accordingly I increased speeds by using the "+" button.

So the cruise control very much works in the 5th as well as 6th gears at speeds as low as 60 kph.
This confirms it can be activated in 5th gear as well.
When Resume is pressed does it works only above speed of 60? I mean supposing we are cruising at 80 and have to brake, speed comes down to 40 and then we press Resume, so will it work then?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 22:16   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
This confirms it can be activated in 5th gear as well.
When Resume is pressed does it works only above speed of 60? I mean supposing we are cruising at 80 and have to brake, speed comes down to 40 and then we press Resume, so will it work then?
Technically it should

I used to resume at speeds of 40-45 in my octavia after setting at about 70
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 22:45   #118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,322 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Technically it should

I used to resume at speeds of 40-45 in my octavia after setting at about 70
So it could be that the cruise control is activated at a minimum speed of 40 kmph?

Does it work below 40 kmph?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 22:48   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

In the octavia, the speed limit was 45.

I have tried successfully resuming till 40, not below that.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 23:46   #120
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,322 Times
Default Re: 2014 Crystal Black Pearl Honda City VX-D - A new member in the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
In the octavia, the speed limit was 45.

I have tried successfully resuming till 40, not below that.
Thanks for clearing my doubt and if seen practically, the need for cruise control is stupid below 40 kmph. Makes sense above 70 kmph.

Does the cruise control linked to gearing? I mean 4th gear @ 60 kmph will ork or does it need the top gear?

I guess the cruise control is more of speed linked?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family KL01BE Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 16th January 2013 20:40
Grand Honda Shuts down. EDIT: New Dealer in Pune Crystal Honda. anandpadhye Indian Car Dealerships 55 5th October 2012 19:53
My All New Honda City S (AT) - Crystal Black Pearl !! Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 20th June 2011 17:40
Black bull joins TBHP family- New Black Tata Safari 2.2 mandyrana Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 2 10th June 2010 17:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks