Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 16:31   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hiya Platzda. No problem answering, don't think I've mentioned this anywhere in any case. I'm getting a consistent 10.5 KMPL (give or take), always measured tankful to tankful.

The AC is on 100% of the time and most of my driving is done in Andheri East's cesspit of traffic, so you can say it's about 90% city and 10% highway driving, approx.

I haven't measured highway mileage as such, so there's that.

Ditto then. In bullcrap traffic the skoda returns pretty much the same.

A tip though, if you havnt discovered already that is ....it isnt difficult to yield a figure of 20 + kmpl (way above) in these cars on combined city + highway drives. Try it if you haven't and then capture the silly grin plastered on your face in a selfie when it works !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 27th November 2014 at 16:33.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 16:46   #212
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Ditto then. In bullcrap traffic the skoda returns pretty much the same.

A tip though, if you havnt discovered already that is ....it isnt difficult to yield a figure of 20 + kmpl (way above) in these cars on combined city + highway drives. Try it if you haven't and then capture the silly grin plastered on your face in a selfie when it works !

Not surprised to hear that really, I'm just glad mileage isn't in single digits

There have been times when I've tried to max out the mileage and easily hit 20+, even saw something in the 40's when I was coasting once, but where's the fun in that! I'd rather drive for the fun factor!

I'm amazed and delighted at how frugal the 2.0 TDI is, no doubt about it.
iliketurtles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 17:30   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
My $0.02: Please get the 2015 Jetta. At this time of the year, there is very limited upside in getting a 2014 MY. You also get a marginal bump up of 10 BHP for waiting.

Also, word from a friendly dealer is that there are really no new Jetta's around. So please check doubly carefully on the date of manufacture on any "great deal".

Good luck!
That's true.
But I can't wait that long to get a car. Besides right now, Jetta is at 22L OTR. New car will have a price hike, and since there's no substantial change, I'd rather use my money for the Octavia. Actually all this will happen once i get rid of my Civic , which has been taking quite a toll on the economy of our family. Repairs have reached 6 figures comfortably.
What's your take on the Octavia at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Thanks Vishal! Glad you enjoyed reading it



Solid choice, you can't go wrong with either of them really. The Jetta and Octavia have been popular choices this year, and for good reason too.



The Pirellis are doing very decently. I crossed 11111 kms today and noise levels are not too bad, drivability is great as they're slightly performance oriented, but the sidewalls are quite soft. For reference, I had Michelin XM1's on my City before this and only had some puncture issues when nails pierced the tyre tread. They were largely fuss-free tyres. With the P1's, I have had a sidewall bubble, I know not how, and I have been very wary since they didn't honor the warranty for it (as expected). If softer sidewalls are a concern for you, I'd say avoid the P1's. They're great if you drive on good roads though.



Check with Vagtune, they might be your best bet. If they don't have it, you'll just have to order it in! It's not that big a deal though, is it? I'd rather spend money on a remap at some point!



I'd agree with this. The 2015 vintage is not too far away and unless you absolutely want a 2014 one and can get a huge discount (read 2 lakhs or more) on it, I don't think you should go for a 2014 one. DSG's are sold out across the board from what everyone says, so getting big discounts on the manual variants are highly unlikely right now.

Happy shopping, and hold your horses. The 2015 Jetta is almost here!
I'd like your opinion on the new Octavia too.
So I'm from Chennai, and Lal Enterprises quoted 10,250 for the Michelin Primacy 3ST, 8000 for the Pirellis and a buyback of 5000 per tyre for the Goodyears (<100km).
What about Yokos?
Which one should be the final deal?

Last edited by aah78 : 9th December 2014 at 02:35. Reason: Posts merged.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 18:25   #214
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
I'd like your opinion on the new Octavia too.
So I'm from Chennai, and Lal Enterprises quoted 10,250 for the Michelin Primacy 3ST, 8000 for the Pirellis and a buyback of 5000 per tyre for the Goodyears (<100km).
What about Yokos?
Which one should be the final deal?
I like the new Octavia a whole lot. I had in fact booked the TSI even before the Jetta, but there was no chance of getting it anytime quickly. In fact, there was no clue about availability beyond the fact that it will take some months. The same was true for the TDI.

Like GTO pointed out, if it's the diesel you want, go for the Jetta. If it's the Petrol, go for the Octavia. Simple as.

The Jetta TDI is cheaper than the comparative Octavia, and gets a better suspension at the rear plus paddle shifters, but is dated on the interior, whereas the Octavia feels richer. The Octy also has a sunroof, if you're into that! Even so, the Jetta TDI is my pick of the two.

As for the tyres, please don't go for the Good years. Michelin and Pirellis are both good choices, but seeing how you said soft sidewalls are a concern, I'd plump for the Yokos. By all accounts, it's a bit more durable than either of the Michelin or Pirellis. The latter two aren't bad choices, but I do have questions over their softness, is all.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 18:30   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
I'd like your opinion on the new Octavia too.
So I'm from Chennai, and Lal Enterprises quoted 10,250 for the Michelin Primacy 3ST, 8000 for the Pirellis and a buyback of 5000 per tyre for the Goodyears (<100km).
What about Yokos?
Which one should be the final deal?
My Laura TDI came with Goodyears. The tyre pressure monitor raised an alarm WEEKLY & no i am not exaggerating. On Mumbai's roads (haha!) the goodyears were sitting ducks. They were actually a liability.

Then a few months ago i changed to Yokohamas. The TPM hasnt beeped ever since.

I rest my case.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 14:57   #216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I like the new Octavia a whole lot. I had in fact booked the TSI even before the Jetta, but there was no chance of getting it anytime quickly. In fact, there was no clue about availability beyond the fact that it will take some months. The same was true for the TDI.

Like GTO pointed out, if it's the diesel you want, go for the Jetta. If it's the Petrol, go for the Octavia. Simple as.

The Jetta TDI is cheaper than the comparative Octavia, and gets a better suspension at the rear plus paddle shifters, but is dated on the interior, whereas the Octavia feels richer. The Octy also has a sunroof, if you're into that! Even so, the Jetta TDI is my pick of the two.

As for the tyres, please don't go for the Good years. Michelin and Pirellis are both good choices, but seeing how you said soft sidewalls are a concern, I'd plump for the Yokos. By all accounts, it's a bit more durable than either of the Michelin or Pirellis. The latter two aren't bad choices, but I do have questions over their softness, is all.
Yes that's true. But Octavia is also appealing. I still want to go for the Jetta right now and not wait for the face lift.
What about the new Superb? Is it worth pitting in the extra 10 lakhs for it? My parents would love the space it offers though.
I'm in a real dilemma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
My Laura TDI came with Goodyears. The tyre pressure monitor raised an alarm WEEKLY & no i am not exaggerating. On Mumbai's roads (haha!) the goodyears were sitting ducks. They were actually a liability.

Then a few months ago i changed to Yokohamas. The TPM hasnt beeped ever since.

I rest my case.
That's true. Yokos have a rreputation for being reliable. But what about tyre noise and the ride on the Yokos?
Lal Enterprises in Chennai keep mentioning Hankook. What about them?
vishal.jayakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 16:18   #217
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

[quote=vishal.jayakuma;3590862]Yes that's true. But Octavia is also appealing. I still want to go for the Jetta right now and not wait for the face lift.
What about the new Superb? Is it worth pitting in the extra 10 lakhs for it? My parents would love the space it offers though.
I'm in a real dilemma. /QUOTE]
If waiting is an issue, that almost rules out the Octavia unless you can get your hands on one quickly!

The Superb is, well, Superb. Tons of space and equipment and a truly premium car for the price. But it is different from the Jetta in that it is not as much a car for the self driven, it's best enjoyed from the cavernous back seat. Frankly, I wouldn't splash the extra cash for it since I would much rather enjoy the car behind the wheel and it's too much of a stretch from the Jetta. The Superb is from a class above, and it feels it.

List out your priorities in terms of what you absolutely must have from a car and see which car most fulfils it. That's the best way to go about it, else your heart will keep on leading you astray!
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2014, 18:30   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post

That's true. Yokos have a rreputation for being reliable. But what about tyre noise and the ride on the Yokos?
Lal Enterprises in Chennai keep mentioning Hankook. What about them?

Tyre noise is significantly lesser than the Goodyears i had but that is relatively speaking. These arent intrusive but if you want absolute silence , might as well opt for some michelin comfort specs. Lets not talk bout ride ... the car in question is a Laura

I remember considering hankooks too. INCREDIBLE VFM ! But i decided to opt for Yokos instead as handling , durability and grip was a priority for me over price. They could be good but i have no experience with them.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 18:19   #219
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

I have a query.
I found the ECS pedals to be an extremely good replacement for the stock ones.
Does anyone know where to source aluminium inserts for the door pads?
vishal.jayakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 20:24   #220
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
Does anyone know where to source aluminium inserts for the door pads?
I reckon alibaba and ebay are good places to look, but make sure you're confident of the quality before you buy it!

Here's a sample link.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 13:00   #221
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

As Sheryl Crow crooked, the first cut is the deepest.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417937173.754517.jpg

Long story short, I was travelling down a narrow road when the two rickshaws ahead of me just stopped in the middle of the road, as they are wont to do to get a customer. I had kept ample distance and stopped well in time. The girl in the Wagon-r behind me didn't. What you see is the resultant cut in the rear bumper where she rear-ended me.

So, anyone have any tips? Go to VW itself or go to a friendly neighbourhood shop? I'm averse to the latter option as the quality of work is often questionable. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good one I'm game to give it a try.
iliketurtles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 13:41   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,084
Thanked: 1,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As Sheryl Crow crooked, the first cut is the deepest.

Long story short, I was travelling down a narrow road when the two rickshaws ahead of me just stopped in the middle of the road, as they are wont to do to get a customer. I had kept ample distance and stopped well in time. The girl in the Wagon-r behind me didn't. What you see is the resultant cut in the rear bumper where she rear-ended me.

...
Oops. That must have hurt! I would say visit VW. This may require a replacement of that body part.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 00:04   #223
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 642 Times
Arrow Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As Sheryl Crow crooked, the first cut is the deepest.


So, anyone have any tips?



I would suggest to live with it. After-all bumpers are for this very purpose. If the cut portion that has gone a bit inside, is pulled out; the cut itself will not be glaringly visible.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 00:11   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,258
Thanked: 2,057 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
As Sheryl Crow crooked, the first cut is the deepest.

Attachment 1315914

Long story short, I was travelling down a narrow road when the two rickshaws ahead of me just stopped in the middle of the road, as they are wont to do to get a customer. I had kept ample distance and stopped well in time. The girl in the Wagon-r behind me didn't. What you see is the resultant cut in the rear bumper where she rear-ended me.

So, anyone have any tips? Go to VW itself or go to a friendly neighbourhood shop? I'm averse to the latter option as the quality of work is often questionable. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good one I'm game to give it a try.
If you don't mind a little scar remaining on the bumper, you can go to a local denting painting wala and they heat the bumper and stitch it back into place. Costs 100 rupees at max. I have done that with my Swift's rear bumper. Of course a small scar remains, but you can add a team-bhp sticker over that and VOILA its fashion again.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 00:23   #225
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 968
Thanked: 820 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Oops. That must have hurt! I would say visit VW. This may require a replacement of that body part.

Oh yes, it hurt quite a bit. Really bummed me out no end. My first thoughts went to a bumper replacement too, but in retrospect I felt then that's a bit extreme. Would cost about 10-12k too, maybe more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post



I would suggest to live with it. After-all bumpers are for this very purpose. If the cut portion that has gone a bit inside, is pulled out; the cut itself will not be glaringly visible.

Sadly, it would still be. It's quite a prominent cut and I really wouldn't be able to live it. Seeing it would be quite painful everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
If you don't mind a little scar remaining on the bumper, you can go to a local denting painting wala and they heat the bumper and stitch it back into place. Costs 100 rupees at max. I have done that with my Swift's rear bumper. Of course a small scar remains, but you can add a team-bhp sticker over that and VOILA its fashion again.

Yup, this is what I did eventually it's something that popped up amid quick searches and it made sense. I do want the scar to not be there though and my trusted bodywork guy said that he'd do a paint job and ensure it'll look as good as new, so that works for me. Still anxious though, and I hope the surgery (so to speak) is scarless!
iliketurtles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silver VW Jetta DSG Highline 2.0 TDI - Latest addition to our family abhilashgp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 25th August 2016 19:41
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home graaja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 298 29th July 2016 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks