Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th July 2015, 11:31   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'll give you a detailed lost by tomorrow, but I've been told it's only a visual inspection. They'll check fluid levels, top up if necessary, visually inspect the car and do a washing cleaning session before handing it over.

All this I've been told will take a day. Can't fathom why it should take that long unless they're flying in skimpily clad bikini babes from LA to wash my car for me!
Cool thanks! Seriously, All of this is just a few hours of work at the most, Which Service center have you given the car to? Also my car is just about 11 months old and i can see the interior lights fluctuating a lot while i start the car, Is it normal? Or did you face the same thing when your battery started showing weakness?

Thanks again!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 11:32   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Aha, that's news for me. I'm sure the policies are consistent across the VAG group. I've already asked them to check the battery voltage, will push for a replacement as well since it's clearly dying out.

Even my first battery failed within 2 years of ownership of the Laura. Was replaced under warranty. When the new battery started giving issues as well, a diagnosis revealed it to be a faulty alternator. Skoda replaced both under warranty. Do push for warranty replacement.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 11:38   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Seriously, All of this is just a few hours of work at the most, Which Service center have you given the car to? Also my car is just about 11 months old and i can see the interior lights fluctuating a lot while i start the car, Is it normal? Or did you face the same thing when your battery started showing weakness?
Exactly, it shouldn't take all day. But now that I had issues the previous evening, let them check it at leisure. I've given them a laundry list of things to do, including checking the actuator on the driver side door, which is acting funky.

Also, the interior lights fluctuating is not normal at all. The first sign of my battery starting to go wonky is when I was parked on the roadside and tried cranking it up. I cranked it twice with no luck. It turned over and came to life on the third, so I dismissed it as nothing much. That was about 2 weeks back. But no, at no point did I have the interior lights fluctuating. If you can, record a video of it to show the service guys else they'll say it's nothing. It could be that your battery is on the way out too.

By the by, I've given the car to what is now Automark Motors (Volkswagen Mumbai West). It's in Andheri East on Parsi Panchayat Road. Had done my 6 month inspection there, but couldn't do the annual service there as they were shut at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Even my first battery failed within 2 years of ownership of the Laura. Was replaced under warranty. When the new battery started giving issues as well, a diagnosis revealed it to be a faulty alternator. Skoda replaced both under warranty. Do push for warranty replacement.
Thanks for the info on the alternator issue Rohan, I'll keep it in mind and certainly push for the battery replacement under warranty.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 21:29   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, it shouldn't take all day. But now that I had issues the previous evening, let them check it at leisure. I've given them a laundry list of things to do, including checking the actuator on the driver side door, which is acting funky.

Also, the interior lights fluctuating is not normal at all. The first sign of my battery starting to go wonky is when I was parked on the roadside and tried cranking it up. I cranked it twice with no luck. It turned over and came to life on the third, so I dismissed it as nothing much. That was about 2 weeks back. But no, at no point did I have the interior lights fluctuating. If you can, record a video of it to show the service guys else they'll say it's nothing. It could be that your battery is on the way out too.

By the by, I've given the car to what is now Automark Motors (Volkswagen Mumbai West). It's in Andheri East on Parsi Panchayat Road. Had done my 6 month inspection there, but couldn't do the annual service there as they were shut at the time.
Hello, I won't even require a video for it, The interior lights fluctuates everytime i start the car! Like literally everytime! And its been only 11 months old and i have used the car fairly a lot (18400 km till date) So never the car was left unused and still it has started showing symptoms of battery weakness. On the other hand my XUV's battery lasted for more than 3.5 Years and still it used to start like new. I am really going to push them for a replacement.

Automark motors, Haven't tried them since its a little far from my place, Have tried the one at Sewri and cotton green and both of them were really pathetic. Will be trying the new KSM motors at kurla kamani this time, Hope they will handle the car well. And please post some new pics of your black beauty, A jetta in black color looks amazing and is really rare to find one on the road.
Old 25th July 2015, 12:26   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I won't even require a video for it, The interior lights fluctuates everytime i start the car! Like literally everything!

Well, that's good and that's bad. Good since you cane asilo prove your case, bad because, well, it isn't good.

Quote:
Will be trying the new KSM motors at kurla kamani this time, Hope they will handle the car well.
I went there for my annual servicing. It was smooth, except for the fact theyre understaffed (like most VW workshops I've seen) and you've got to make sure they don't sell you any unnecessary services. Other than that, here good.

Quote:
Please post some new pics of your black beauty, A jetta in black color looks amazing and is really rare to find one on the road.
I will certainly do so once I get the detailing done. Nothing looks as good as a shining black car, and I'll post pics after that
Old 27th July 2015, 08:01   #261
BHPian

Karan,

Any updates on the ESC issue buddy ? I had the same message ( ESC error ) displayed on the dashboard today. But it was gone by end of the day. I plan to get it checked in a day or two.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 09:56   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Karan,

Any updates on the ESC issue buddy ? I had the same message ( ESC error ) displayed on the dashboard today. But it was gone by end of the day. I plan to get it checked in a day or two.

Hiya Amar!

That issue was related to my battery failing, as suspected. VW stood by their warranty and I'm getting the car back today with a new battery. So yay! It could be the battery starting to go out on your Jet too? At least I hope it's that, if anything untoward. It would be the least of your worries.

The door actuator on my side was faulty too, so they're fixing that as well. Remarkably quick turnaround time on this, if they stick to their promise of giving the car today!
Old 1st August 2015, 10:34   #263
BHPian

So just a tiny update. I did get the car back this Wednesday gone, and I only had to pay Rs. 850 for the engine oil. They replaced the battery and the actuator free of cost. Yay!

Only bummer? The battery change has nuked all my VCDS tweaks The lane change indicator is the most irritatingly obvious one and the needle sweep is gone too. Guess I'm off to look for someone with a VAG-COM cable to help me out.

Hey Gannu, are you headed to Palakkad anytime soon?
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:44   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So just a tiny update. I did get the car back this Wednesday gone, and I only had to pay Rs. 850 for the engine oil. They replaced the battery and the actuator free of cost. Yay!

Only bummer? The battery change has nuked all my VCDS tweaks The lane change indicator is the most irritatingly obvious one and the needle sweep is gone too. Guess I'm off to look for someone with a VAG-COM cable to help me out.

Hello, Good to know they changed the battery and actuator free of cost. I doubt if it the battery changed nuked all the VCD tweaks, It happend the same with me during the first year servicing even though the battery wasn't touched that time. And i have the clone 12.2.3 cable with me, We can meetup and get the tweaks done in your car
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 10:47   #265
Team-BHP Support

Good to hear the battery was changed under warranty? Was it the same Varta make?

Quote:

Nope. Are you headed towards Ahmedabad side? Else when I drop at Bombay sometime soon, will give you a ping.

EDIT: Tanveer's plan sounds like a better alternative. Do add the low windshield washing fluid warning this time if it isn't already done.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 10:50.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 12:02   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Good to know they changed the battery and actuator free of cost. I doubt if it the battery changed nuked all the VCD tweaks, It happend the same with me during the first year servicing even though the battery wasn't touched that time. And i have the clone 12.2.3 cable with me, We can meetup and get the tweaks done in your car
Who knows, maybe it didn't. That's the explanation the service manager gave me, and it made sense, so I ran with it.

I'll certainly take you up on that offer at some point, many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Good to hear the battery was changed under warranty? Was it the same Varta make?
So I'm told, I haven't peeked under the hood yet. I'll take a quick check and confirm that, although I'm 99.99% sure it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. Are you headed towards Ahmedabad side? Else when I drop at Bombay sometime soon, will give you a ping.

EDIT: Tanveer's plan sounds like a better alternative. Do add the low windshield washing fluid warning this time if it isn't already done.
No yaar, I'm not headed that side anytime soon, sadly :( I'll take up Tanveer on his offer at some point for sure, I need that needle sweep and lane change indicator back!
Old 3rd August 2015, 17:42   #267
Senior - BHPian

Hello karan! Did you notice any difference in low or high beam? Also any more torque steer do you feel? We missed out on Bluetooth confirmation chime and also the honking confirmation, Next time for sure though.
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:22   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Hello karan! Did you notice any difference in low or high beam? Also any more torque steer do you feel? We missed out on Bluetooth confirmation chime and also the honking confirmation, Next time for sure though.
Hiya Tanveer, was great catching up with you! I haven't had a chance to test out the high beam, but the lower beam seems prononouncedly brighter after the tweak. The luminescence of it definitely seems more to my naked eye.

I had a chance to floor the car too on an open stretch, and the torque steer also seemed to be reduced. These observations could well be a placebo effect, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Thanks for all the tweaks, we'll get the ones we missed out on next time
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:28   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hiya Tanveer, was great catching up with you! I haven't had a chance to test out the high beam, but the lower beam seems prononouncedly brighter after the tweak. The luminescence of it definitely seems more to my naked eye.

I had a chance to floor the car too on an open stretch, and the torque steer also seemed to be reduced. These observations could well be a placebo effect, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Thanks for all the tweaks, we'll get the ones we missed out on next time

Hello, Same here, Was great meeting ya! Oh yes so there is an improvement! I thought its only my mind playing games, But indeed the low beam and as well the high beam is much stronger now. Try flashing the high beam on a wall or an empty road, Its noticeably more powerful now.

I am going to spend a few more hours soon trying to search for anything that's left. And if i find something new we will get all the tweaks done to your car aswell soon
Love the jetta in black! Its like batman!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:07   #270
BHPian

Just as I was driving yesterday morning to office, I got an alert for the coolant level being low. I thought nothing of it, just bought some and topped it up after mixing it in the recommended proportions.

Climbed into the seat today, fired her up and got the same notification. Bugger. There's a leak. I topped it up, made the drive to office and then popped the hood. The damn thing had drained almost halfway through, and the leak was very evident when I peered below.

And so here I am with a slightly heavy heart. I know it's nothing major, I know it won't cost me much since the car is in warranty, but still, seeing it hauled atop that flatbed does hurt.

I only hope that VW doesn't keep the car too long, I have a bit of an emotional attachment to this one!

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442907288.023479.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote