Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 09:04   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default

Haha thanks sagar, appreciate that

I'm not sure the Jetta is the most logical choice in that segment to be honest, that might well be the Elantra. But the Jetta is still the pick of the lot for me. Done 200 kms in 2 days, and I've been all smiles for all the miles!

Will post interior pics soon. Hadn't posted them thinking the reviews had it covered. Clearly I thought wrong!
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 09:56   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,345
Thanked: 2,879 Times
Default re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

One of the best ownership threads I have read this year. Congratulations on the buy and to your wife for picking that deadly black. Screw what your friends say, this really is a sensible acquisition. Very few of us enjoy going to bed knowing we have bought a machine that has enough character to seduce yet also makes perfect sense in every manner. You lucky man, you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
-The Octavia has a felt lining in the door pockets at the front, the Jetta misses this. Why? It just doesn't feel right. In fact, the small compartment behind the 12V outlet in the front is felt-lined. Strange place for it to be so. Cost-cutting, much
Not sure about this, but thought it might work; you could check out a method called flocking. If you're anal about little squeaks and vibrations like I am, then you might find this as interesting as I have. Incidentally, I stumbled upon this method only this morning because even my Kizashi, which is lined in almost every little area, misses out on lining in the door pockets and I tell you every time that I have pulled over to identify the source of a certain low resonating sound or high pitched annoying rattle, it ends up being something in the door pockets. The eerie silence in the cabin, brings this obsessive side in me, out

Last edited by IshaanIan : 17th February 2014 at 10:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 10:20   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
One of the best ownership threads I have read this year. Congratulations on the buy and to your wife for picking that deadly black.
Haha, thanks, that's high praise and a nice way to kick off a dreary Monday morning! Incidentally I was driving to office and a facelifted Toffee Brown Jetta pulled out in front of me. I now feel Deep Black was (is) the better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not sure about this, but thought it might work; you could check out a method called flocking. If you're anal about little squeaks and vibrations like I am, then you might find this as interesting as I have. Incidentally, I stumbled upon this method only this morning because even my Kizashi, which is lined in almost every little area, misses out on lining in the door pockets and I tell you every time that I have pulled over to identify the source of a certain low resonating sound or high pitched annoying rattle, it ends up being something in the door pockets. The eerie silence in the cabin, brings this obsessive side in me, out
I am very keen on keeping my ownership experience as noiseless as possible. The thing is the door pocket in the Jetta is a bit deep, and since it isn't felt lined any hard object I keep there will rattle, like a phone or so. I'll definitely read up on flocking, thanks for the tip!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 10:42   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,215 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Haha thanks sagar, appreciate that

I'm not sure the Jetta is the most logical choice in that segment to be honest, that might well be the Elantra. But the Jetta is still the pick of the lot for me. Done 200 kms in 2 days, and I've been all smiles for all the miles!

Will post interior pics soon. Hadn't posted them thinking the reviews had it covered. Clearly I thought wrong!
Well after owning a Hyundai, I can say that Jetta is a much better choice. The ride quality of Hyundai is pathetic. You would have regretted every bit when ever you took the steering of the Elantra on the highways. You spared yourself of that torture.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 10:50   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

True that. I was very lucky that a friend's family had an Elantra in their garage and he point blank told me not to consider it if I wanted a fun daily driver. That verdict alone was enough for me to drop the Elantra from my thoughts entirely.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 21:38   #21
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 501
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Excellent write up! enjoyed reading it after a long time, specially the part- "Aye carumba, baby!" Your wife's eyesight is just perfect. Indeed an A4, often mistaken for one untill we glare at those Atlanta's. Congratulations on the car, wish you many happy trouble free miles ahead. Good job ditching the Octavia, saw more than two posts on issues about octavia that's a fair number for a brand new car in the market.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 17th February 2014 at 21:39.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 22:02   #22
BHPian
 
vignesh.cv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Congrats on the jetta iliketurtles !! The updated car in black looks purposeful and yes resembles an A4.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 22:46   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Excellent write up! enjoyed reading it after a long time, specially the part- "Aye carumba, baby!" Your wife's eyesight is just perfect. Indeed an A4, often mistaken for one untill we glare at those Atlanta's. Congratulations on the car, wish you many happy trouble free miles ahead. Good job ditching the Octavia, saw more than two posts on issues about octavia that's a fair number for a brand new car in the market.
Thanks Amarendranath I can see why the lady says she sees a bit of the A4 in there, but I don't see it that much. In any case, I'm loving the car and in a sense I'm glad I'm not going with Skoda, although I'm sure the Elegance TDI I was looking at would have been relatively problem free too. Thanks for reading through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Congrats on the jetta iliketurtles !! The updated car in black looks purposeful and yes resembles an A4.
Thanks Vignesh. It is a real looker in black, although it's a real dirt magnet. I came back to the car after a long day at the office to find a thin film of dirt on the hood and someone having doodled on the hood. To be fair, I've done that to enough people, so I had it coming

In any case, thanks for the kind words and for being the nth person to say that the wife is spot on with her A4 assertion
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 06:28   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,287
Thanked: 2,553 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Congratulations on the new ride, iliketurtles. You made the perfect choice. When it comes to Diesel, Jetta is far ahead the Octavia in terms of ride, handling and refinement. Wishing you many tens of thousands of happy miles with the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
...although it's a real dirt magnet. I came back to the car after a long day at the office to find a thin film of dirt on the hood and someone having doodled on the hood. To be fair, I've done that to enough people, so I had it coming
I would say a Jopasu duster would be a good investment. My Getz used to permanently sport a dusty look with doodles on the hood and rear windshield. Came across a review thread (Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review) here in the forum and bought one from snapdeal which had a good offer. Now getting my car rid of the dust is just a 2 minutes job. You should definitely get one.

BTW, you have a great writing skill. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the review
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 09:04   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the new ride, iliketurtles. You made the perfect choice. When it comes to Diesel, Jetta is far ahead the Octavia in terms of ride, handling and refinement.



I would say a Jopasu duster would be a good investment.

Thanks graaja! I remember being glued to your thread on the Octavia, was a very useful source of info. Any word on when your Octavia will be rolling into the dealership? And perhaps more importantly, any news of price reductions with these new excise cuts?

I agree that the Jetta Diesel is much better than the Octavia from a drivers standpoint. The roles are definitely reversed for petrol, no two ways about that.

I do have the Jopasu duster on my mind. Got myself a vacuum cleaner for the interiors, the Jopasu is up next.

Thanks for the kind words, see you around. Hope your Octavia is with you soon, and I look forward to its initial ownership thread
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 13:51   #26
BHPian
 
premc44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 73
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Congratulations on your new acquisition.
I have a VW Vento in black pearl finish and sure, it is a dirt magnet. But nothing makes me happier than seeing a well maintained black car. I do things myself
The first thing you should get is a Jopasu car duster and a few decent MF towels. There are enough forums here, where you get proper advice on maintaining a car and tips on car detailing. I am not elaborating on that. Get a good wash shampoo, like Megs NXT car wash or ONR and a good quick detailing spray and that will make your life easier and your car will remain a head turner. All the best
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 14:40   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 130
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Very very well written post(s) on the entire decision making and acquisition process. I am also in the market for an upgrade to my Civic and your posts made the decision making easier - I had it short listed down to either the Octavia or the Jetta (why don't they make it in blue?) or considering a sparingly used 12-18 months old C class / A4.
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 14:42   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition.


The first thing you should get is a Jopasu car duster and a few decent MF towels. Get a good wash shampoo, like Megs NXT car wash or ONR and a good quick detailing spray and that will make your life easier and your car will remain a head turner. All the best
Thanks Prem. Thanks for the tips. The Jopasu duster I was going to get anyways. Will look at picking up the other items too. Cheers, and thanks again!
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 15:17   #29
BHPian
 
kedarwalke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 437
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Congrats for the lovely black beast!!Excellent review.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 15:55   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 994 Times
Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
I am also in the market for an upgrade to my Civic and your posts made the decision making easier - I had it short listed down to either the Octavia or the Jetta (why don't they make it in blue?) or considering a sparingly used 12-18 months old C class / A4.
Thanks car.lover. Apparently, there's quite a few confused shoppers in that segment! Saw so many people posing the very same question. ''

They have a really nice blue for the Jetta overseas, shame they don't make it here. It's a strikingly regal color in the flesh.

If you ask me, don't look at the C or A4 unless you've budgeted for spares and maintenance, because they can be frighteningly expensive to own. Any reason you haven't got the 3 series on that shortlist? With their all inclusive service plans, they're the pick of the lot in that segment. Peace of mind and the ultimate drivers car all at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Congrats for the lovely black beast!!Excellent review.
Thanks for the wishes and kind words Kedar
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home graaja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 340 17th August 2017 00:36
Silver VW Jetta DSG Highline 2.0 TDI - Latest addition to our family abhilashgp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 25th August 2016 19:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks