Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st December 2017, 16:31   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Can someone who has contacts in VW be able to get a definitive response please? I need to know urgently.

Thanks and cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Even so, I'd say get it done, directive or not. Simple reason being that our climate and driving conditions are harsh and unforgiving, and its better to err on the side of caution.
+1 to that. With the VW cars, it is always better to err on the side of caution. In fact, my friend who changed the oil for his Octavia pushed me to change it during my 45K service. He said after the oil change, the car was butter smooth as if it was out of the showroom. My car has just done 47K km now, and by the 4th year service, it may be at 50K. I am planning to go ahead and change the DSG oil.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 11:58   #422
Senior - BHPian

Power. The more we have of it, the more we want more of it.

Yesterday evening, I sauntered up the car as per usual and clambered in. Turned the key, and...nothing, save for the flickering of cabin lights and the MFD. It was a dance I knew all too well.

The battery had given up the ghost, almost 17 months after I installed a new one. Indeed, I chronicled the last battery change in this very thread. Sept 16, 2016 it was. And now, almost 17 months on. Kaput.

I had some warranty left on the battery (it was Exide, made in Spain), but had no faith in VW installed batteries any more. Thatís 2 batteries the car has chewed through in less than 4 years of ownership. Rather than send the car to VW and badger them for a warranty claim, leaving the car dead in the water for however long it would take to process, I decided to bite the bullet and place the call.

ďHello, Battery Bhai?Ē

I placed an order for a new battery (Amaron, 60 Ah, if you must know) late the previous evening and the new battery was installed and running by 10 this morning. I love the internet for the manner in which it has democratised access to sundry essentials. And for Twitter. Canít believe itís free.

The new battery wasnít free (duh), costing me ₹5264 with an exchange of the old battery. Not bad considering the old Exide cost me ₹8200 back in the day. Iíve heard good things about battery bhai (and Iíll lend my voice to that) and about Amaron (time will tell if itís all that), so hereís hoping for the best. This was a minor speedbump in the road, smoothly negotiated.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-adf474c7ac46448ab1fbc8dcdf38783e.jpeg

The pretender

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-a706d3a9bb2d4c158575f3892d3a7cb2.jpeg

The real McCoy

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-e560f61d1807402b827feec14b78c535.jpeg

Batterybhai hard at work

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-6666ca0d0c5643d9ad45cf4f7dea10e7.jpeg

The dashboard threw up some Christmas lights, but normalised after 5 minutes.

Until next time then, drive safe
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 12:36   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided to bite the bullet and place the call.
ďHello, Battery Bhai?Ē
Have heard good reviews from people using it, Glad worked out smoothly for you too, Was just curious and checking the battery they have available for 530d, Several of them showed up, However i wonder if they would also code the car with the new battery as that's needed while installing a new battery in a BMW. Anyone has got it done on a BMW?

Prices with exchange also seems nice, What would we do with out dead batteries anyways.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 13:56   #424
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, you can buy it outside, but will need to get it 'registered' at BMW via a specific software. Surely this can be done outside too, would save a bucketload in unnecessary fees.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 14:10   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, you can buy it outside, but will need to get it 'registered' at BMW via a specific software. Surely this can be done outside too, would save a bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Yeah totally, Last i heard the bucketload to replace a battery and code at BMW would cost around 40,000 INR for the 5 series, Now that's a big bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:32   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery had given up the ghost, almost 17 months after I installed a new one. Indeed, I chronicled the last battery change in this very thread. Sept 16, 2016 it was. And now, almost 17 months on. Kaput.
Looks like the Jetta batteries consistently fail just under two years. I too had the same sequence of events. First battery failed in about 16 months, replaced under warranty, second battery failed in the same duration, and me getting fed up and changing to Amaron. You made the right decision to go ahead with Amaron. This should last a long time definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yeah totally, Last i heard the bucketload to replace a battery and code at BMW would cost around 40,000 INR for the 5 series, Now that's a big bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Wow. It costs 40K to change a battery in BMW!!? Does the battery come under the extended warranty? If not, I guess I need to start a separate "BMW maintenenace fund"
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:43   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You made the right decision to go ahead with Amaron. This should last a long time definitely.
Itís been all too common an occurrence on Jettaís, was an easy decision to switch to Amaron. Iím grateful for a community like this which made the decision a heck of a lot easier, I simply followed set precedents rather than hope for the best.

Quote:
Wow. It costs 40K to change a battery in BMW!!? Does the battery come under the extended warranty? If not, I guess I need to start a separate "BMW maintenenace fund"
the 40k is for the battery and its registration. No need for a maintenance fund for this; just keep a small piggy bank and if youíre like me, make it a swear jar. Youíll have enough to pay for BSI several times over in no time!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:43   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From BMW, Yes! Check this thread too, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-resolved.html (BMW India won't fulfil warranty on dead battery of a 4-month old 730d. EDIT: Now resolved)

Rare case but least we got to know the price is 45k for 7 series.

Usually battery in a BMW will last you till 5 years easy if you use your car frequently, I know a couple of guys who are on their 6th year and still on stock battery & the car is their daily driver, And yes it should be covered under extended warranty i suppose, However if your out of warranty, Getting one from a place like battery bhai for 14-15k & getting the battery coded from outside would be 50% cheaper.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 6th February 2018 at 15:45.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 01:30   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

Usually battery in a BMW will last you till 5 years easy if you use your car frequently, I know a couple of guys who are on their 6th year and still on stock battery & the car is their daily driver, And yes it should be covered under extended warranty i suppose, However if your out of warranty, Getting one from a place like battery bhai for 14-15k & getting the battery coded from outside would be 50% cheaper.
Our BMWs use AGM batteries, that's why they're as expensive as they are. And its recommended to use AGM type only, and not the regular ones. The car is also programmed as per an AGM battery. It is possible to code the the car for a regular batter, but it needs the original BMW diagnostic tool and it is quite complicated.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote