Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 09:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Nice job with the seats, Avinash! The City looks complete now.
The 16GB pendrive looks tiny, better that it remains plugged in the port only or else it could get easily lost! Is there any indicator LED on it?
Thanks, my friend.

Yep, the Nano-USB is really tiny. Even I was in doubt if such a tiny thing packed 16 GB worth of storage in it! But the scan confirmed the same.

Name:  Nano USB.JPG
Views: 4192
Size:  25.5 KB

Thinking of getting a threaded neck strap for it, so that something remains tied to it and serves as a reminder for me.

Like Anurag said, there's no indicator LED on it. You have to remember that it's plugged into the USB. That's it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is better to sweat than have yourself sweat due to repair bills. It is a small step in prolonging the engine life and internals. I have been following this procedure from Day 1 of the Ritz and Swift.
Indeed. Wise move. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Apart from the regular oil and filters change no other part was changed in my 1.07 lakh kms Ritz D.
Superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Be careful so to remove before handing it for service, could be flicked and you wouldn't realised it.
First thing I would remove as soon as the service date is due. Repeating to myself...

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th May 2014 at 09:58.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 10:06   #137
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,323 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Yep, the Nano-USB is really tiny. Even I was in doubt if such a tiny thing packed 16 GB worth of storage in it! But the scan confirmed the same.
This is normal. You can't get the full 16GB worth space for storage. The 14.9 GB is the usable space as the remaining 1.1 GB is for the pen drive to function efficiently with the system it is attached to. It is system reserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
You have to remember that it's plugged into the USB. That's it!
Brain exercise is what will be happening by the end of the day and by the end of this ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First thing I would remove as soon as the service date is due. Repeating to myself.
Get a repeater or set a reminder.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 15:16   #138
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Noticed a weird thing since yesterday morning.

Every time I shut off Empress completely (key in 0 or out), and start her back (key in 2 or 3), then roll down the driver side's power window with the door closed, it comes down and at about 80% down, there is a slight pause, a loud 'KAT!" sound (as if the glass inside has cracked or brushed against something hard), and it goes the rest of the way down.

Yesterday morning, the glass stopped rolling down completely at that 80% down position, and upon subsequent roll-ups and downs (2-3 times), it went down completely, making that loud sound. Same thing happens when the door is in the just-open position (open and held close). When the glass got stuck, the door became heavy and required a bit more effort to open wide.

Open the door wider and then roll the glass down, and there's no sound. Smooth roll-ups either way.

Subsequent roll-downs bring out a small "tik!" sound when the glass reaches at about 50-60% on it's downward journey.

Rolling the glass upwards doesn't produce any sound either, door open or closed.

I wonder if there's a problem with the power-window mechanism, or the window glass is getting stuck at an internal part (central locking gun, speaker, something else) inside the door's panel. I am rolling the window down with the door open since yesterday evening, to be safe.

Attaching a video which I made earlier today:


Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th June 2014 at 15:19.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:25   #139
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,362
Thanked: 13,323 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I wonder if there's a problem with the power-window mechanism, or the window glass is getting stuck at an internal part (central locking gun, speaker, something else) inside the door's panel. I am rolling the window down with the door open since yesterday evening, to be safe.
I guess the window is getting stuck or the mechanism to move the window is getting obstructed.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:38   #140
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,251
Thanked: 10,508 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I wonder if there's a problem with the power-window mechanism, or the window glass is getting stuck at an internal part (central locking gun, speaker, something else) inside the door's panel. I am rolling the window down with the door open since yesterday evening, to be safe.
Could be an issue with the Window run channel as well. You may simply try an un-harmful method of lubricating the side edges of the window glass with 2-4 drops of WD40 or any equivalent spray, Roll-up & down a couple of times and see if things get better.

If not, it is better to visit the ASC who will ascertain the cause after opening the door pads.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 12:50   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Sorry, RavenAvi, for joining the party late . Logging in after quite a while. Need to catch up with many threads out here

Many congratulations for your new City i-DTEC.

You are quite lucky to have owned both petrol & diesel variants of India's one of the most best and desired C segment car.

Nice write up and pictures as always.

Wishing you many miles of happy and safe driving!

Last edited by bluevolt : 9th June 2014 at 12:58.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 12:54   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Hi!

I have a question regarding the engine noise that filters into the cabin. Does this reduce as the engine settles in / run in ? or does it remain as loud as on day 1?

I Test Drove a City iDTEC with 3000 kms on the odo, and it was pretty loud, and per my family, louder than what you hear in a Tata Safari. the engine note too is very 'clattery'.

I like the City, but this is becoming a deal breaker..

Hope you enjoy your ride!

thanks.
Srini
smsrini is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 13:05   #143
BHPian
 
anilagdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 198
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

smsrini, I have read opinions that say, in essence, that noise reduces after the engine runs in for some time. I can't however vouch the veracity of the same as I found the NVH levels in the test drive car (that had run quite a bit) to be above the desirable level.
Can others with iDtech cars chip in with their assessment?
anilagdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 15:11   #144
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess the window is getting stuck or the mechanism to move the window is getting obstructed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Could be an issue with the Window run channel as well. You may simply try an un-harmful method of lubricating the side edges of the window glass with 2-4 drops of WD40 or any equivalent spray, Roll-up & down a couple of times and see if things get better.

If not, it is better to visit the ASC who will ascertain the cause after opening the door pads.
Thanks, guys.

Well, the problem has become intermittent. On some days the glass rolls down without any fuss, and other days it's with the "KAT!" sound, with the glass slowing down 3/4ths of it's downward journey. I noticed one other thing - whenever the slowing down/sound occurs, the door pad bulges outward for a second and then goes back in. So it's definitely a case of obstruction inside the door pad.

The 2nd Free Service is due later this month. Hopefully the A.S.S. guys will be able to resolve the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Sorry, RavenAvi, for joining the party late . Logging in after quite a while. Need to catch up with many threads out here

Many congratulations for your new City i-DTEC.

You are quite lucky to have owned both petrol & diesel variants of India's one of the most best and desired C segment car.

Nice write up and pictures as always.

Wishing you many miles of happy and safe driving!
BV my friend!!

Great to see you online after such a long time. Thank you so much for the good wishes. Hope to see latest updates on Venus in your ownership thread soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

I have a question regarding the engine noise that filters into the cabin. Does this reduce as the engine settles in / run in ? or does it remain as loud as on day 1?

I Test Drove a City iDTEC with 3000 kms on the odo, and it was pretty loud, and per my family, louder than what you hear in a Tata Safari. the engine note too is very 'clattery'.

I like the City, but this is becoming a deal breaker..

Hope you enjoy your ride!

thanks.
Srini
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
smsrini, I have read opinions that say, in essence, that noise reduces after the engine runs in for some time. I can't however vouch the veracity of the same as I found the NVH levels in the test drive car (that had run quite a bit) to be above the desirable level.
Can others with iDtech cars chip in with their assessment?
Hello Srini & Anil,

Yes the engine noise has come down a bit as the kms are being clocked (Empress is at 3957 kms right now). Still, a bit of clatter filters into the cabin. All aluminium diesel powerplants are inherently noisy, and Honda's is no different - this despite using liquid-filled mounts to dampen the engine's NVH levels. The best solution I have come up with, is to drown the clatter by playing songs.

The clatter will be very much there even after 25K-50K kms I dare say. It's not as LOUD as the Safari's or the Vento's powerplants (I think the Vento takes the cake here for the highest & harshest NVH levels in any car), but yes, it will always keep you reminded of it's presence.

If you want a diesel car with the lowest NVH, test drive the Hyundai Verna. Can't beat the Verna in this regard - the most silent and quietest oil-burner in the market right now in this segment.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th June 2014 at 22:07. Reason: km edited on request.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 22:00   #145
BHPian
 
petroguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madras
Posts: 384
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Yes the engine noise has come down a bit as the kms are being clocked (Empress is at 3957 kms right now). Still, a bit of clatter filters into the cabin. All aluminium diesel powerplants are inherently noisy, and Honda's is no different - this despite using liquid-filled mounts to dampen the engine's NVH levels. The best solution I have come up with, is to drown the clatter by playing songs.

The clatter will be very much there even after 25K-50K kms I dare say. It's not as LOUD as the Safari's or the Vento's powerplants (I think the Vento takes the cake here for the highest & harshest NVH levels in any car), but yes, it will always keep you reminded of it's presence.

If you want a diesel car with the lowest NVH, test drive the Hyundai Verna. Can't beat the Verna in this regard - the most silent and quietest oil-burner in the market right now in this segment.
I had taken a TD of the Vento TDI. The Vento's TDI motor, by far outclasses its segment rivals with its massive torque and fairly revv happy nature for a diesel which actually makes you forget the NVH issue, atleast if your in the drivers seat.
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 21:00   #146
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Been awhile since I posted any updates. But there's not much to report when you have a hassle-free steed.

Empress towers over all other cars of my colony with her imposing presence (even the SUVs stand and salute when the golden-haired royal highness glides past them in her regal wheels).

The 2nd Free Service was due on 26th June but I was busy with job commitments so couldn't travel the distance to avail it. There were talks of the Honda Service truck paying a visit to my city by June-end, which got delayed and now they will be coming on 12th July. The Service Camp will be held on 13th and 14th of July, so Empress will be headed in for her 2nd Free Service then.

The Honda dealership in my city has unofficially opened and has started it's marketing/sales activities. A few Brios and Amazes have been unloaded there and customers have been trickling in. Big Honda hoardings have sprung up all around my city - they are spending quite a bit on marketing. According to my ASM contact, the dealership owner is waiting for a good shubh muhurat day to formally/officially launch the dealership, and it's A.S.S. arm right behind the dealership showroom.

The issue with the driver-door power window remains. I tried to source the solvent which Parag suggested through local accessory shops but none of them could procure it. After I get it fixed during the free service, I am thinking of asking the A.S.S. guys for a can.

Also, I am facing a new issue these days - intermittently, the Honda HU keeps disconnecting and reconnecting my Sony Xperia Z Ultra (connected via Bluetooth). It lasts for only a second or two - all of a sudden, it would show that "Xperia Z Ultra has been disconnected", and almost immediately it starts showing that "Xperia Z Ultra is reconnected". Bluetooth in the phone is continuously on and discoverable, so I can't see what the problem is with the phone. This wasn't an issue when I had my Samsung Galaxy S4, which stayed connected to the HU all the time. Might need to ask the service guys to look into this as well, and for a firmware update, if any. Anyone else facing this peculiar problem?

Got a few more accessories for my Empress in-between. Details in the pictures to follow. Also ordered a set of door visors, and a pair of DRLs from ebay, which I should get within the next 6-7 days.


Avery Multi-point 8-in-1 Car Charger.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0054.jpg

Wheelskins Genuine Leather Black "Croc skin" design Steering Cover. Nicely grippy.
Stitching finish is a bit amateurish but that's the best the lad could do.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0056.jpg

An unpronounceable Chinese company's neckrest set. Supremely comfortable.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0058.jpg

Mileage these days, all in-city.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140527_122954.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th July 2014 at 21:06.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 01:23   #147
BHPian
 
pdma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 602
Thanked: 818 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Thanks Avi,

DRL's seems to be the new pick on the city post the illuminated scuff plates. dockap too got DRL installed on his car. I see that the driver door window has been troubling you from a while now , also this was noted only on your car as I do not recall anyone mentioning about something similar on their cars.Lets wait for the feedback from the Honda during the service.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 02:04   #148
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Steering cover looks really good Avi.
How is the performance of that car charger? My usb car charger isn't adequate as it charges really slow so i am thinking of getting a new one.
Also, could you post the link for those DRL.
Thanks!
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 12:05   #149
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC. Golden Brown and royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Thanks Avi,

DRL's seems to be the new pick on the city post the illuminated scuff plates. dockap too got DRL installed on his car. I see that the driver door window has been troubling you from a while now , also this was noted only on your car as I do not recall anyone mentioning about something similar on their cars.Lets wait for the feedback from the Honda during the service.

Cheers,
pdma.
In my case, it's more of a want/need instead of a cosmetic upgrade. My city gets a TON of rain during this season, and daytime visibility goes down several notches. It becomes so bad that people drive with their hazard lights continuously on. I have seen the LED strips of the i20 and the XUV, and how effective it is from a distance, hence got the DRLs. It's of the tube-type universal fitting one. I hope they can do the proper wiring now.

This driver-door problem was present in Pegasus too (my 3rd gen City). I am guessing it's a recurring problem - either the rubber channels get clogged with dust (plenty of dust around here), or it's a winding mechanism problem. Let's see what the diagnosis is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Steering cover looks really good Avi.
How is the performance of that car charger? My usb car charger isn't adequate as it charges really slow so i am thinking of getting a new one.
Also, could you post the link for those DRL.
Thanks!
Thanks, harry.

It's pretty effective so far. Charges up my S4 and Xperia Z Ultra in pretty decent time. It supports a variety of devices (including iPhone) so it's a pretty handy item to have. I would recommend it to anyone who needs it.

DRLs are of the tube-type. I have sourced them from here:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/221479794231?...84.m1497.l2649

If they last the distance, well and good. If not, I am planning to get one of those Philips/Hella ones later on.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 21:54   #150
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,363
Thanked: 28,226 Times
Default re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC. Golden Brown and royalty on Wheels!

Who says a short jaunt inside the city can't provide exceptional mileage?

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140711_115244.jpg

This is after a long shopping trip earlier today morning.



Visited the newly set up Honda dealership in my city. Half of it (right side) is fully furnished and ready to go, while the left side is going through some furious last-minute construction finish.


2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140710_135133.jpg

(Empress can be seen parked on the right, while a solitary Brio V MT in white stands guard inside)


2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140710_135138.jpg


Got a call from the dealership manager yesterday night that the puja and formal start of activities is scheduled for tomorrow (Sunday) at 10:30 AM. I have been formally & cordially invited to be a part of the proceedings. A more proper inauguration will be done on a later date.

Since the service truck will be here tomorrow as well, I will be attending the short ceremonial ritual and getting my Empress serviced (2nd Free Service).

Will be back to post detailed snaps of all proceedings.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th July 2014 at 21:56.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel) 00nuts001 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 94 22nd July 2015 13:48
My White Tiger: 2014 Honda City i-DTEC harry10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 10th November 2014 13:17
Perfection on wheels - My 2014 Golden Brown Honda City VX i-DTEC krishnadevjs Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 15th August 2014 21:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks