Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th July 2006, 14:45   #166
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmastdude
Thanks for your advise Busa. Just one more query to bother you - I stay in a hill station, and hence 80% of my driving is on curvy hill roads, with uphill or downhill gradient... hence good handling and adequate engine power are required. Does the civic have sufficient handling & engine power for hills or is RS better on this count?
Your most welcome. The Civic Manual will be around 12L OTR wheras the RS will be around 15L OTR. The Civic handles good but it cant beat the RS in the handling, braking, stability, performance, equipment department as of today. Also the RS looks are a killer itself. However it wont be fair enough to comapre these cars as they have a price difference of 3L. If you are spending 15L and want luxury as well as performance why dont you look at the Sonata Embera it is as fast as the RS if not faster and is luxurios as well but be assured it wont have the snob value which the Civic will command. The Civic is ample power and handling capabilities for a hill however a RS will be better then the Civic but surely the Civic will not let you down. If you want to cruise through the hills then the Civic fits the bill well but if you want to rush through them get yourself a RS. Also if you buy a Civic and go for Low profile 16inchers then the handling of the Civic will be as good as the Octavia RS and slap on a few performance mods and voila you can have your cake and eat it to All the best for the More than a Million Rupees Question.

Do have a look here.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 14:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

CoolmastDude,
There is a 3 lakhs difference upfront between CIVIC and RS (on Road).
i.e. the RS is 25% more expensive, which is upfront.

Besides that you have Bad Dealership, Low mileage, expensive spare parts, high insurance cost and low resale value to deal with on an on going basis.

Further, Power to weight ratio wise there is not much difference in both the car. Whatever little difference is there can be easily overcome by spending say just some 20k (basic mods).

While, RS would definately be a better drive if I have to say in one sentence...
if money is not an issue go for RS, else Civic is the choice
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 16:02   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
CoolmastDude,
There is a 3 lakhs difference upfront between CIVIC and RS (on Road).
i.e. the RS is 25% more expensive, which is upfront.

Besides that you have Bad Dealership, Low mileage, expensive spare parts, high insurance cost and low resale value to deal with on an on going basis.

Further, Power to weight ratio wise there is not much difference in both the car. Whatever little difference is there can be easily overcome by spending say just some 20k (basic mods).

While, RS would definately be a better drive if I have to say in one sentence...
if money is not an issue go for RS, else Civic is the choice
QFT - quoted for truth. Well put ST.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 17:24   #169
BHPian

one more car which is again trying to sell , the usp is the brand, paddle shift, the downfall being no fog lamps, distractive console for our driving conditions, obstrusive c pillar, low seating, low visibility, no chance of changing the head unit, not a car for people who enjoy listening to good quality music while driving
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 17:25   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
one more car which is again trying to sell , the usp is the brand, paddle shift, the downfall being no fog lamps, distractive console for our driving conditions, obstrusive c pillar, low seating, low visibility, no chance of changing the head unit, not a car for people who enjoy listening to good quality music while driving
So, what's your point? Just re-read all the posts on this thread and make your decision!

Last edited by pmbabu : 13th July 2006 at 17:26.
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 17:31   #171
BHPian

my point is less car for more money
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 17:46   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
my point is less car for more money
Maybe - so do not buy it... Maybe not - each to his own!
In any case there is very little VFM around nowadays anyway - just fat monopolistic corporations / govt. laughing their way to the bank at our expense (and maybe just employing some of us at fat salaries [wish it were true for me] too!)
Old 13th July 2006, 17:53   #173
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening, i was tailing a new NHC in stop and go traffic. Then i read the iVtec badge on the trunk and it striked me it's not NHC. Then i checked the badge on the other side and it is Civic. The back looked so similar to NHC at a casual glance. I couldn't see the rest of the car in the traffic.

BTW, the car i saw was already delivered to a lucky customer. It has a ribbon and T/R.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:08   #174
BHPian

Hi Busa,

Was out so couldn't saw when the review came so quick.

First of all, Thanx for such a good review, really appreciate BHPians like you who are so comitted.

Secondly, i went to Honda Showroom today to see CIVIC.

This is before I read your review.
First impression as soon as the key was turned. I was AAWED at the look and feel of the digital dual Display in the front.
Also, the dasboard & the overall the interiors were top notch and certainly will be giving Octavias & Corollas a run for their money by those who don't look for ride quality.

I found the seating good and spacious but agrre with you on the fact that it could have been better.
I didn't took it on test drive as I was in a hurry so will not be able to contribute on the handling and the braking part.
The small spaces they have given here and there are good .
The feel of the steering and sitting position is good .
the Integrated CD player and the Climate control is good and sexy to look at.

Some things which I didn't like were :

1. The power window buttons on the rear were giving a very plasticky feel and were looking nothing that should belong to a >11 lac car.
2. The boot space is like I am looking at a small segment car.
3. The rear view is not that catchy and could have been better.

As soon I went out, the car's interiors were doing rounds in my mind . I even took time to get the EMIs and the Down Payments.
Since, My budget is not that Much, so Earlier I was thinking of going for a good condition 2nd hand Octavia, I have seen a lot of them and many in excellent conditions. But, I was making calculations to buy this Car and was thinking as to how to make my dad ready .
But, As soon as I read your review, I was totally confused.
Could you do me a favour and would suggest me between Octavia ( 2nd hand ) / CIVIC / Octavia New ( would be a bit diff. )

Would be waiting for your suggestion.

Regards,
Gagandeep
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:11   #175
BHPian

Default addition in the previous post

hi Busa,

One thing I forgot to add was that I was going for Octavia was because of the Diesel variant as it would be less costly on my pocket on running costs

Regards,
Gagan
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you do me a favour and would suggest me between Octavia ( 2nd hand ) / CIVIC / Octavia New ( would be a bit diff. )
Hey Gagan,

Well a Civic is a good car, but if you want cheap running costs then nothing beats the TDi powered Octy.

Under normal circumstances the Civic should give around 9.5-10kmpl wheras under same circumstances a Octavia 1.9TDi would give you around 14-15kmpl and diesel is cheaper by Rs. 10 per liter then petrol. Under very efficient driving you can extract 12.5kmpl from the Civic and 18kmpl from the Octy but that would be difficult.

Now coming to the three models you are looking at. A Manual Civic will cost you atleast 11.6L OTR considering there is no discount on it. Similarly a Octavia (First hand) 1.9 TDi would cost you around 12.5L OTR, but since the Octavia has been out since long you can awail of a few discounts. However since the Octavia is a solidly engineered vehicle a 2nd hand would be a good buy. A good 1.9TDi 2 yrs old can be yours for around 7.5L, but you have to make sure the car is in proper condition, as repairs can be expensive and maintainance is on the higher side, you can get yourself a Corolla for around 7Lacs too and its good vehicle, has a amazing engine and delivers 10kmpl, maintainance is cheap! Thought the Octavia will not have the same snob value of the Civic you will be happy with the economy it offers. I dont see a reason to buy a first hand Octy TDi since it is the same one sold since a few years and you can get them second hand.

Quote:
I have seen a lot of them and many in excellent conditions
Thats good, i guess you should go ahead because most Octys are high mileaged and difficult to find good ones.
Old 13th July 2006, 19:42   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan
hi Busa,

One thing I forgot to add was that I was going for Octavia was because of the Diesel variant as it would be less costly on my pocket on running costs

Regards,
Gagan
There is simply no other way to decide, except to test drive each car yourself as many times you need to, to finally decide. FE, of course diesel octy will be great.

We are today lucky that due to competition, we are able to test drive. Wonder anybody remember waiting line for Padmini/Ambassador and problems that we had. Dealer simply refused to rectify and we had to go to roadside garage...and pray (especially during monsoon!).
Old 13th July 2006, 21:03   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Your most welcome. The Civic Manual will be around 12L OTR wheras the RS will be around 15L OTR. The Civic handles good but it cant beat the RS in the handling, braking, stability, performance, equipment department as of today. Also the RS looks are a killer itself. However it wont be fair enough to comapre these cars as they have a price difference of 3L. If you are spending 15L and want luxury as well as performance why dont you look at the Sonata Embera it is as fast as the RS if not faster and is luxurios as well but be assured it wont have the snob value which the Civic will command. The Civic is ample power and handling capabilities for a hill however a RS will be better then the Civic but surely the Civic will not let you down. If you want to cruise through the hills then the Civic fits the bill well but if you want to rush through them get yourself a RS. Also if you buy a Civic and go for Low profile 16inchers then the handling of the Civic will be as good as the Octavia RS and slap on a few performance mods and voila you can have your cake and eat it to All the best for the More than a Million Rupees Question.

Do have a look here.
Busa, thanx a lot for your help. On your advice, I've decided on the civic AT with paddle shift (since there is always the paddle manual option).
As regards the 16" alloys and 205/55R16 rubber, I enquired from Honda whether it is possible to fit in these alloys and tyres and the following is the reply I got:

"Dear Sir,

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]This has reference to your mail dated July 10, 2006. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]We thank you for showing interset in Honda products.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]Products are developed after Extensive Research based on various operating condition and are country specific for optimum performance. Hence, we are constrained not to recommend the same to you.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]We would request you to take a test drive of the car to experioence the performance of Honda Civic and we assure you it will be an exhilarating one. We are advising the dealership to get in touch with you to organize the same for you.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]Thanking you and assuring you of our best services at all times.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]With Regards,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]Bindu[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=sans-serif][SIZE=2]Customer Relationship Management"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]__________________________________________________ ________________[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Does this mean that the civic sold in India is different suspension-wise from the one sold in Thailand, since the one sold in Thailand comes with 16"alloys and 205/55 rubber, whereas honda india does not recommend fitting these alloys and rubber?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Awaiting your feedback on the same.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thanx a lot once again![/FONT]
coolmastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 22:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

Congratualtions on your decision but do make sure you take a extensive test drive of both AT and MT before zeroing on any. However the manual option in the AT through paddles wont be as fast as a MT.

Quote:
As regards the 16" alloys and 205/55R16 rubber,
Honda India doesnot recomend 16inchers in India for the Civic because of the following reasons : -
1. Poor Roads hence high profile tyres
2. Cost of 16inchers
3. Fuel Efficency

However 16inchers have a few advantages over 15inchers like better handling, stability, braking, looks, car becomes faster since in one rotation you go more distance. The only drawback of 16inchers it that your ride wont be as good as 15inchers. Also since the Civic is postioned more as a Luxury car rather then a drivers car it has 15inchers wheras the RS is more of a drivers car then a luxury car. If you go for 205/55/16 i am sure you wont have any problems with suspension or anything as 16inchers will suit the car more. You GC will also increase. Going for 55 profile is not bad at all as it not too low a profile, the RS comes with the above size as standard. There are pics on this forum of a Black Beast (Baleno) with 19inch wheels and so often we see Skodas with 17inchers, does it affect the car, i dont think so. Its your call anywayz. If the roads near you assuming they are good since you stay on a hill station then you can go for the above size as the OD difference is not much just 0.1 All the best.
Old 14th July 2006, 08:24   #180
Team-BHP Support

Listen, do not bother wasting time asking Honda about mods. They are like lawyers and will not commit. Like at Jap cars, they are over engineered mechnically so can take a certain amount of mods...if properly done. If you really want to play safe. Put 16 inchers and keep originals and pop them on in case something does go wrong.

Remember car is optimised for Mr average who wants fuel economy and comfort.

PS - anyone saw the snippet on CNBC about alcatel wanting to sue Audi over a lousy seat design. Frankly they should have tested the car before buying it. Audi have been more than gracious and are providing special cushions.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote