Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th July 2006, 09:31   #181
BHPian

Smile Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Hey Gagan,

Well a Civic is a good car, but if you want cheap running costs then nothing beats the TDi powered Octy.

Under normal circumstances the Civic should give around 9.5-10kmpl wheras under same circumstances a Octavia 1.9TDi would give you around 14-15kmpl and diesel is cheaper by Rs. 10 per liter then petrol. Under very efficient driving you can extract 12.5kmpl from the Civic and 18kmpl from the Octy but that would be difficult.

Now coming to the three models you are looking at. A Manual Civic will cost you atleast 11.6L OTR considering there is no discount on it. Similarly a Octavia (First hand) 1.9 TDi would cost you around 12.5L OTR, but since the Octavia has been out since long you can awail of a few discounts. However since the Octavia is a solidly engineered vehicle a 2nd hand would be a good buy. A good 1.9TDi 2 yrs old can be yours for around 7.5L, but you have to make sure the car is in proper condition, as repairs can be expensive and maintainance is on the higher side, you can get yourself a Corolla for around 7Lacs too and its good vehicle, has a amazing engine and delivers 10kmpl, maintainance is cheap! Thought the Octavia will not have the same snob value of the Civic you will be happy with the economy it offers. I dont see a reason to buy a first hand Octy TDi since it is the same one sold since a few years and you can get them second hand.

Thats good, i guess you should go ahead because most Octys are high mileaged and difficult to find good ones.
Thanx a lot Busa, for the advice. I think I would be reverting back to second hand Octy which I am planning to buy in 1-2 months from now after looking for some more fresh models, as they will be more because of CIVIC launch.

Regards,
Gagan
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 10:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gagan,
Be careful of reversed odometer (which is extremely common in used octavia) and monsoon flood victim cars (again very difficult to identify).

If the conditions are not right, an octavia can be extremely expensive to spruce up...!

Thanks,
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 12:00   #183
BHPian

How does SKoda Octavia Rider 1.8 T , which has the same engine but is cheaper than RS by >2 lakhs compare to civic ?
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 15:05   #184

Agree with observations above and in fact was very disappointed with my Civic test drive in Bombay. For those who have drivers, Corolla remains #1 for rear leg room and for those who drive themselves, OCty RS is miles ahead. Civic seems to have been stripped not just of the BHPs, but its free revving character as well.

One added point - It may not be as pleasurable to have a continually changign digital speedometer....unlike the west, we are not yet in the age of driving at stable speed ranges for tens of miles. I found it distracting in fact, and slightly "teenagerish"...
bhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 15:14   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Yesterday evening, i was tailing a new NHC in stop and go traffic. Then i read the iVtec badge on the trunk and it striked me it's not NHC. Then i checked the badge on the other side and it is Civic. The back looked so similar to NHC at a casual glance. I couldn't see the rest of the car in the traffic.

BTW, the car i saw was already delivered to a lucky customer. It has a ribbon and T/R.
You said it! I saw one going in the opposite direction on my way to work this morning and for a split second I thought 'what the heck, that looks like an extra-wide NHC....!', then realized what it was when I saw a glimpse of its rear in my side mirror.

As expected, it was chaffeur driven

Had a DL4C registration. Looked good guys but I'm not sure it'll stand out in a crowd. It was that maroonish color, whatever that is called.

Last edited by suman : 14th July 2006 at 15:15.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 17:36   #186
Senior - BHPian

Folks, Created a new thread for discussing Subwoofer / Audio enhancements for New Honda Civic... http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...d=1#post258629 (Subwoofer / Audio enhancements for New Honda Civic...) Please post your audio related inputs there. Thanks
Old 14th July 2006, 17:56   #187
Senior - BHPian

on Digital Speedo meter - the refresh rate changes at different speeds so that it remains readable.
Further if you still want, you can reduce the brightness (to extent of swithcing it off) ...

Personally I liked it very much, and only wished that the gear display was also there is the top panel.

The car from front resembles an Accord more than a City, from rear like an OHC and from side like a stretched NHC.
Old 14th July 2006, 18:53   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhav
OCty RS is miles ahead. Civic seems to have been stripped not just of the BHPs, but its free revving character as well.
Disagree with the free revving bit - revved very very nicely all the way to 7k rpm with the typical honda snarl. Certainly feels much more powerful than corolla. Octy RS - well of course, but then there are other issues there.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 19:52   #189
Senior - BHPian

It revvs very well no doubt and honda cars are meant for revving. Check the pic at 7k it felt it could have gone more, but then thats Honda.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 09:43   #190
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Further if you still want, you can reduce the brightness (to extent of swithcing it off) ...
Thats nice to hear. Would love to drive with only the rpm needle!

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 12:58   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Thats nice to hear. Would love to drive with only the rpm needle!

GTO
QFT but pegged at 6k!!!
BTW I saw one on the roads - it seems VIPS are jumping the queue...bummer...and the alloys really looked nice when moving.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 16th July 2006 at 12:59.
Old 16th July 2006, 22:09   #192
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
First pioneered in the w118 mercs!
Never heard of a W118.

Surely you mean the 1959-1968 Mercedes Heckfloβe(W111)
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2006, 15:14   #193
Senior - BHPian

The Tiptronic has made it so difficult to choose...

In the votes, I keep seeing the tilt moving towards Manual to Auto and Auto to Manual ...

But then finally it is nice to know that >75% BHPians approve of the car, which is an extremely good stats...

PS. Unlike the car below, I guess the huge front windshield gets best cleaned by the opp wipers, with it's huge rubber blades... else why would Honda do it, just for mktg gimmick... I doubt...

Last edited by ST7677 : 17th July 2006 at 15:24.
Old 17th July 2006, 16:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
The Tiptronic has made it so difficult to choose...

In the votes, I keep seeing the tilt moving towards Manual to Auto and Auto to Manual ...

But then finally it is nice to know that >75% BHPians approve of the car, which is an extremely good stats...

PS. Unlike the car below, I guess the huge front windshield gets best cleaned by the opp wipers, with it's huge rubber blades... else why would Honda do it, just for mktg gimmick... I doubt...
I went for a long test drive in the AT version. It has only reinforced my initial impressions that it is a great overall car. One can really get addicted to this AT and not drive stick shift again!!! On open roads as well as traffic, the AT in D mode handled everything. No question of any stalling. I could move from N to D without the brake pedal - handbrake on. So this is very convenient at signal, since I usually have the habit of handbrake on. The paddles were also nice, whenever I wanted downshifting control and immediate acceleration.

See, pickup is less than MT as also FE, but as I said, both are very much adequate by competitors' models, and comfort level much much more. Also position of gear lever little odd in both, but in AT you do not have much need to touch it, especially in 'S' paddle shift mode.. only RPM indicator - turn off the 3 digit speedo.

Test car had been driven about 1,500 km - no service - and was giving 7.5. I guess with normal driving 8.5-9 possible and after 3k-5k km, 9-9.5 very very likely for AT.

Edit: the wipers clean quite well, no issues.
Old 17th July 2006, 16:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Check out latest Autocar India mag - lovely shootout. Especially figures for AT. I am not reproducing due to various copyright reasons...but maybe it is there online...no sorry maybe in a few weeks till next issue.