Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th July 2006, 12:21   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108

As far as low end torque business goes:
Corolla - 16.1 kg-m/4,200 rpm
Civic - 17.5 kg-m/4300 rpm
And all that about low end torque being invaluable and all that which hondas cannot deliver is total hogwash: My OHC pulls very cleanly without any knocking whatsoever in 5th from 35km/h, whatever the torque figures, they are quite adequate, let me tell you. The swift does not like 5th below 45km/h.

TO show the low-end torque performance you need to see the charts. Figures are not even an eye-opener.

I like Honda. And yes for me Honda civic right now is the second best car inthe segment after Skoda RS.

but Honda aint god.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 12:34   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
TO show the low-end torque performance you need to see the charts. Figures are not even an eye-opener.
Better still would be to drive both in city traffic and then decide. BTW - the torque charts of most VTEC engines show that upto 80-90% of the max torque is available at 2000-2500 rpm, which means they are no slouches there.

Its just that the top-end blows you out of your mind so much that you forget about the lower end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
but Honda aint god.
Nopes - that would be mitsubishi, i guess
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 12:42   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Nopes - that would be mitsubishi, i guess
Good one, goldie.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 12:48   #229
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
My OHC pulls very cleanly without any knocking whatsoever in 5th from 35km/h
We never denied that, because a Non-Vtec car has no issue of low end torque, we are talking Vtec here.

Quote:
I am talking stock, and since they are all very close there will always be exceptions in the drag
In modded trim nothing even comes close to the RS.

Quote:
I also forgot to add that the front left suspension in the corolla I drove was shot, it kept bottoming / dropping out on corners
That may/can be the problem with that particular car, even a 6 months old Corolla is badly thrashed by test drivers. How many kms did it have on the Odo??

Quote:
I hope, for a change, there will be no disagreement on this
There will be atleast from me. No way the 1.8 AT Civic is going to beat the 1.8T AT, simply because the latter doesnot exsist.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 13:04   #230
Senior - BHPian

What tyre size can the civic best accomodate?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th July 2006 at 13:10.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 13:39   #231

BTW the new Corolla has been delayed till Spring 2008. They ran out of people to work on the re-design it seems.

Check the following link:
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8635/
bhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 14:06   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That may/can be the problem with that particular car, even a 6 months old Corolla is badly thrashed by test drivers. How many kms did it have on the Odo??
Was a relative's car with about 9k on odo, driven reasonably carefully. Quite good mileage figures also reported. Point is dealer still not fixed it in spite of two trips there. No dealer is going to give me an AT to drive for few days...

The OHC was one step before the v-tec and is pretty close.

And of course honda ain't god, nothing/no one is. I was also looking very seriously at corolla, but turned towards the civic.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 14:59   #233
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
We never denied that, because a Non-Vtec car has no issue of low end torque, we are talking Vtec here.

In modded trim nothing even comes close to the RS.
Issues with low end torque are only on the VTEC's .. The torque on the 1.5EXI is good ..

Also if we consider the modded versions then RS can be taken upto 235bhp with petes , civic im sure can take a 60 shot of NOS + programmable ECU's + other mods would give it close to 220 bhp , but with the corrolla one can go for about 85-100 shot of NOS (depending on how brave the owner is or desperate to win a drag) owing to the forged pistons and conrods + a few additional mods and u could have the corolla hitting figures of 220+ too ... So id say its still a dog fight .. Like i said earlier wish we could see more of these cars fight out at the drags ..

PS : Does anyone know if the civic block or any of its internals are forged ??
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 15:13   #234
Team-BHP Support

Boys

We are far from the Civic review and talking about Octy / corolla/ ohc vtec/ baleno

pls start another thread if you must
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 15:40   #235
Senior - BHPian

Not too sure if civic can take too much. See my earlier post with link to the new i-vtec technology engine in india and general world civic.
1. Drive by wire electronic throttle for increased FE/reduced emission
2. Cracked piston ends, no heavy pins - more lightweight.
3. Exhaust manifold integrated into block, straight into dual CCs to achieve Euro IV.
4. Clever engg. to allow for variable lift and timing on SOHC
5. Molybdenum coating on rings for enhanced life/reduced friction
6. Variable intake manifold
7. Increased use of plastics, all al. block to achieve lightest 1.8L
http://world.honda.com/CIVIC/1.8li-vtec/
Old 18th July 2006, 16:05   #236
Senior - BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Increased use of plastics, all al. block to achieve lightest 1.8L
That means you cant use acetone for sure.

Quote:
ACI goes on about ground clearance - it is same in corolla 170mm.
Depends on the suspension and the shocks!
Old 20th July 2006, 13:39   #237
BHPian

OK Here is my 'testdrive' of the Civic AT.

1) The thing I was excited about the most were the styling and the paddles. And to be completely honest, I was seriously underwhelmed.

IMHO, if you see the car from a distance more than 10-12 feet then from the front it looks just like a widened City. From close-up the front looks great. The side and rear profiles are so-so.

Now onto the paddles. The paddles themselves are really small and just have an incredibly cheap feeling. I cannot believe that they paid so much attention to the steering with its great leather body and amazing shape and skimped out completely on the paddles. They are too small to hold properly and my fingers started paining after only about 15 minutes of use. That said, I think its great in the way it holds onto gears and is quite sporty in itself.

My biggest complaint??? The engine. I know a lot of you will disagree but this is what I felt was the biggest letdown. People have always said Honda engines are the best and Vtec rocks and whatnot, but to me this just wasn't good enough. It had absolutely no pull in the medium (though I did like the torque at the lower end), and it really was just quite coarse sounding (and no it isn't a problem in my car, but it is normal as in all civics)
Guess? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 13:50   #238
Senior - BHPian

I dont know but some auto mag says that the shift of the City and Accord are better then the Civic.

I dont know whats the need of detunning the car for the sake of petrol when 91 Octane is available everywhere. The CCX has been detuned to 806bhp for 91 Octane fuel in the U.S but in Europe with super unleaded it can run 850bhp.!!

The thread fact shows how much popular the Civic is with 237 replies and 8556 views.. phew!!
Old 20th July 2006, 14:40   #239
Senior - BHPian

I did take further extended test drive of the AT over 25 km of traffic (about 50-50 in D and paddle mode) and open roads and was quite satisfied. Well, instead of leg paining with clutch I guess we have carpal tunnel with paddles!

As compared to the competition, I did not feel any lack in the engine in the middle at all. Coarse when revved? then what is the corolla? Ball bearings rattling around? It revved quite smoothly had the usual honda snarl (which makes all taxiwallahs move away hurriedly, no need for horn) after 4k rpm. In fact they have tuned the exhaust very nicely. Stand outside towards the rear door with engine on idle and it is a beautiful growl. Sit inside and it is silent. The paddles, I and as others have commented are usually going to be used 20-30%, the rest of the time, it is going to be in AT-D. With 5 speed and grade logic, one can become very lazy with this AT.

Agree with the looks - it sort of seems like an oversized city - will not stand out. But it is very nice / smooth styling at close up. I do not know why mags are going on about styling.

Busa: I may be wrong here but I think nobody really de-tunes too much. They simply report lower figures for normal petrol. Whenever I fill 91 in my OHC, performance does improve noticeably, both in low end and pickup. That 35km/h -5th is actually only possible in 91, with ordinary it is at 40km/h or a shade less. Re. MT shift, I sort of felt it somewhat lacking too.

In spite of all I feel /decide favourable about this car I am not too sure it may be grand success in India like city/accord where there is no real competition (I do not know why fiesta/aveo not yet doing better against city). I think honda have tripped on the pricing in this competitive segment and average older corolla / optra may still rule, especially after large discounts now offered. 50,000-1,00,000 more? aur optra se kitna? 2,50,000? uske liye kya milta hai? kuch nahi? bus adha km? peechhe bhaitke aage ka panel kya dekhna? mobile pe hamara dhandha chalana hai. aur chhoti bhi dikti hain! na re baba na...!

Last edited by sandeep108 : 20th July 2006 at 14:43.
Old 20th July 2006, 15:26   #240
Senior - BHPian

Everybody seems to have a diff opinion of the car. I'm just gonna draw my own conclusions after i test drive it (not for anybody else but for me).

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote