Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd July 2006, 17:05   #256
BHPian

Default Over excitement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu
So, what's your point? Just re-read all the posts on this thread and make your decision!
I think everybody is getting excited on the launch. Things will cool off. I agree on prashanth on many of the points he has raised.

I did not like Civic from some practical aspects though looks (apart from some other things) are awesome.

Negatives:
1. The handbrake keeps touching my left leg in all positions(driving/non driving). This is quite irritating.
2. I think the moving digital speedo will distract me. I want a more peaceful setting when I am driving through the hills. I am not playing a video game here with all kinds of controls and gizmos. I dont need to be staring at the speed all the time.
3. My hair touches the roof when I sit on the backseat in many positions. I am only 6 ft tall.
4. The front glove is very small.
5. I dont think it is as drivable as some of the other cars in the segment from the point of view of visibility all around.
6. I do agree with somebody else who said that it is claustrophobic at the back.

subbarp
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 15:56   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
I think everybody is getting excited on the launch. Things will cool off. I agree on prashanth on many of the points he has raised.

I did not like Civic from some practical aspects though looks (apart from some other things) are awesome.

Negatives:
1. The handbrake keeps touching my left leg in all positions(driving/non driving). This is quite irritating.
2. I think the moving digital speedo will distract me. I want a more peaceful setting when I am driving through the hills. I am not playing a video game here with all kinds of controls and gizmos. I dont need to be staring at the speed all the time.
3. My hair touches the roof when I sit on the backseat in many positions. I am only 6 ft tall.
4. The front glove is very small.
5. I dont think it is as drivable as some of the other cars in the segment from the point of view of visibility all around.
6. I do agree with somebody else who said that it is claustrophobic at the back.

subbarp
Yes, things will cool off, but public mentality / perception sometimes is real funny thing, good stuff does not succeed at times, bad/mediocre stuff does at times.

1. Yes, but if you use the 'dead' pedal, it is much better.
2. Subjective really - if you read some of the comments, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Rest is pretty functional - instead of analogue, it is digital.
3. Surprising, actually there is more headroom at back than in front. At full height of driver's seat there was an inch or so (I am almost 6'), but at back was quite all right.
4. Agreed.
5. Agreed, front pillar takes some getting used to.
6. Maybe, but the test drive the people who sat at back did not complain as such - only extended seating will tell.

Again point to be emphasised is more than one test drive is quite essential for any prospective car buyer to ensure decision is not regretted later.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2006, 20:00   #258

Hi guys! Been quite some time.... actually the hard disk of my laptop crashed so was kinda grounded.
Upon advice by Busa and ST, finally decided to go for the Civic AT in Habanero Red. There is some waiting, but the car would be delivered by 10th if the dealer keeps his promise. Test drove the AT version yet again, but could not detect any lag in low end torque as stated by some bhpians. In fact, as an overall package I found the car much better than RS, which was my other option. Sure the RS gives u a high adrenaline rush, but considering all aspects - interiors, brand image, looks, back seat comfort, performance, efficiency and snob value (not necessarily in that order) the RS is certainly not worth the extra 4 lakhs. In fact, I found the performance of the Civic very near to that of the RS.
Just one problem remains - not sure whether it is safe enough to replace the 15" alloys with 16 inchers to enhance the performance and looks of the car. The Honda guys are advising strongly against it. Fellow Bhp-ians, please advise. Thanks a ton.
coolmastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 10:55   #259
Senior - BHPian

Great and congrats coolmastdude! You are echoing my thoughts. If you feel the OEM wheels alloys are adequate, I would advise against changing them. On another test drive, I found them quite adequate. It will be quite costly if anything goes wrong. Maximum I would advise changing to turanza 15" 205, which dealer to avoid any warranty hassles.

If you do change to 16/205, be prepared for harsher ride, reduced FE. If you are going for AT, you want comfort, then 16/205 is opposite.

On my ohc the oem 13/175-70 were very adequate and though most felt I should have upgraded to 14/195 or at least 14/185, a good tire dealer advised against it and only told me to go tubeless - he said even 185 may hit body on load/bumps. My hill driving with oem bridgestones did result in some sqealing and family not really getting car sick, but with 175 tubeless, no squealing and family did get little car sick so I had to ease up. So no point of 185 at all.
Old 25th July 2006, 20:19   #260
Senior - BHPian

Great choice Coolmastdude.

A friend of mine also booked a Civic today, they were looking at Innova earlier.

They will get their car delivered in late Aug, early Sept.

My car arrived at the dealer today and I should get it in next 2-3 days. Can't wait to get my hands on it
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 21:17   #261

Thanks sandeep & ST!
I've instructed my dealer to get the following accessories fitted before delivering the AT civic to me.
1. Fog lamps
2. Leather upholstery & door claddings.
3. Brushed aluminium finish garnish for the instrument panel - I saw it in a picture - looks great.
4. Xenon headlamps.

Rest of the accessories are ok but the dealer is quoting a very high price for xenon lamps. Firstly, is it worthwhile fitting those xenon lamps and secondly, how much should the headlight xenon bulbs cost?
Please advise. Thanx.
Old 26th July 2006, 00:58   #262
Senior - BHPian

How much are they quoting for the xenons? The only problem with aftermarket stuff is that although you will definitely get a cheaper price, but it gives the dealership an excuse to void your warranty.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 01:46   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My biggest complaint??? The engine. I know a lot of you will disagree but this is what I felt was the biggest letdown. People have always said Honda engines are the best and Vtec rocks and whatnot, but to me this just wasn't good enough. It had absolutely no pull in the medium (though I did like the torque at the lower end), and it really was just quite coarse sounding (and no it isn't a problem in my car, but it is normal as in all civics)
Thats what happens when u daily drive an M5!!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 11:43   #264
Senior - BHPian

Security system problems with new Civics! A neighbouring building fellow got a new Civic and is regularly woken up by security system blaring for no reason at any time.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:48   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
How much are they quoting for the xenons? The only problem with aftermarket stuff is that although you will definitely get a cheaper price, but it gives the dealership an excuse to void your warranty.
In mumbai for most cars, now HID xenons available for between 16-25k.
Old 26th July 2006, 17:59   #266

Default help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Security system problems with new Civics! A neighbouring building fellow got a new Civic and is regularly woken up by security system blaring for no reason at any time.
Got a Honda Civic AT and done over 1k km and was very happy till last week since when it started becoming public enemy no.1, the car wakes everybody up in my buiding with no reasons at night. honda guys at trivandrum and cochin have no idea on this. they returned the car to me after checking the codes and once reprogrammed the codes but the problem still persists. any civic owner to help me on this. heard few other cars in north india have this problem already.
maverick_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 19:28   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_78
Got a Honda Civic AT and done over 1k km and was very happy till last week since when it started becoming public enemy no.1, the car wakes everybody up in my buiding with no reasons at night. honda guys at trivandrum and cochin have no idea on this. they returned the car to me after checking the codes and once reprogrammed the codes but the problem still persists. any civic owner to help me on this. heard few other cars in north india have this problem already.
I will try and ask neighbouring building fellow - do not know him actually - and see what he says. Since I have ohc, I asked my dealer and he confirms many civics have reported this problem and they are also clueless, since it is an extremely intermittent problem. They are waiting for Honda to tell them what to do. I suggest you call/e-mail honda care no./e-mail and let them know.
Old 26th July 2006, 21:09   #268
Team-BHP Support

Must be sonic sensors distrubed by sudden air pressure - try switching your air circulation to recirculation mode
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 12:08   #269

As I've posted previously, I've booked a civic AT in red and the scheduled date of delivery is 10th Aug.
I test drove the civic twice, but did not concentrate much on the audio system. Then I read in some mag that the audio system on the civic has a feature that the volume automatically increases and decreases with the speed of the car. Can someone throw light on this feature? Can this feature be disabled and enabled from controls? Also, I wanna know whether there is an aux jack on the audio system?
Thanx.
Old 27th July 2006, 13:10   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmastdude
As I've posted previously, I've booked a civic AT in red and the scheduled date of delivery is 10th Aug.
I test drove the civic twice, but did not concentrate much on the audio system. Then I read in some mag that the audio system on the civic has a feature that the volume automatically increases and decreases with the speed of the car. Can someone throw light on this feature? Can this feature be disabled and enabled from controls? Also, I wanna know whether there is an aux jack on the audio system?
Thanx.
Yes, I checked the variable volume during test drive. It has 2 or 3 settings, including off. BTW, I quite liked the audio system - very nice clarity/mid, good stereo separation, display gives lot of info. Bass a tad less, but not inadequate in any way. Of course if you like the autorickshaw thumpers (which is not natural music) then sub is essential add-on. ACI also praised the music system as being way ahead of usual built-in for this segment.

There is an aux. feature, but as an option. Dealer not sure about it or the price. I believe for the iPod aux connector, it is quite expensive - about 8-10k, since Apple itself charges quite a bit. I wanted one for another car (Alpine system) and Alpine dealer had quoted me 8k for it. But then the system can control the entire iPod with this.

If you do not want the specific iPod control one, then I guess a simple adapter with male mini-stereo should be ok and should not cost more than 500-1000. But then if Alpine (or whatever system the civic has) charges a bomb for the adapter plug itself, then it may be more.

Actually it is a 6CD mp3 so even with high quality mp3 - say 80-100 songs per CD, you have 500+ tracks anyway. 700MB/CD x 6 = 4.2GB = 4GB iPod anyway. Alternative you can always use the FM transmitters for iPod, since with iPod quality of music it is not going to get further deteriorated using FM.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 27th July 2006 at 13:14.