Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th July 2006, 13:20   #271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Alternative you can always use the FM transmitters for iPod, since with iPod quality of music it is not going to get further deteriorated using FM.
Beleive me the sound is quite appalling on FM
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 13:32   #272

Quote:
Yes, I checked the variable volume during test drive. It has 2 or 3 settings, including off. BTW, I quite liked the audio system - very nice clarity/mid, good stereo separation, display gives lot of info. Bass a tad less, but not inadequate in any way. Of course if you like the autorickshaw thumpers (which is not natural music) then sub is essential add-on. ACI also praised the music system as being way ahead of usual built-in for this segment.

There is an aux. feature, but as an option. Dealer not sure about it or the price. I believe for the iPod aux connector, it is quite expensive - about 8-10k, since Apple itself charges quite a bit. I wanted one for another car (Alpine system) and Alpine dealer had quoted me 8k for it. But then the system can control the entire iPod with this.

If you do not want the specific iPod control one, then I guess a simple adapter with male mini-stereo should be ok and should not cost more than 500-1000. But then if Alpine (or whatever system the civic has) charges a bomb for the adapter plug itself, then it may be more.

Actually it is a 6CD mp3 so even with high quality mp3 - say 80-100 songs per CD, you have 500+ tracks anyway. 700MB/CD x 6 = 4.2GB = 4GB iPod anyway. Alternative you can always use the FM transmitters for iPod, since with iPod quality of music it is not going to get further deteriorated using FM.
Thanx for the info, Sandeep108. I think a simple adapter will do.
coolmastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 14:28   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Beleive me the sound is quite appalling on FM
I agree with you, but when there is no choice...? A relative's ikon he ran with panasonic cd changer through FM! Anyway the original system was not too hot, so either way it did not matter. He did not want to spend 25-35k on a new system with CD changer. Since iPod fidelity over compressed / heavily equalised music is going to be nothing much to write home about, FM can be thought of, if the adapter, etc. costs the equivalent of another CD changer.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 23:20   #274
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
I am not saying corolla is a slouch, just that it hates being pushed, while the hondas love it. When the corolla's engine sounds thrashy above 4,500 rpm, honda actually gets a kick in the butt and wants to go to 8k. I also forgot to add that the front left suspension in the corolla I drove was shot, it kept bottoming / dropping out on corners with bumps giving out a loud thunk or if I took a speed breaker a bit too quickly. Dealer said to drive more slowly!! I have hit speed breaker at 60km/h on my OHC and in all these years never had a suspension problem.

As far as low end torque business goes:
Corolla - 16.1 kg-m/4,200 rpm
Civic - 17.5 kg-m/4300 rpm
And all that about low end torque being invaluable and all that which hondas cannot deliver is total hogwash: My OHC pulls very cleanly without any knocking whatsoever in 5th from 35km/h, whatever the torque figures, they are quite adequate, let me tell you. The swift does not like 5th below 45km/h.

I do believe that till now and maybe still also, corolla maybe overall nice car to be driven in, but still not to drive. I have always felt honda to deliver more than the paper figures while other cars always seem to deliver less - which was ST7677 was trying to point out.

Basically power to weight ratio about same in corolla/civic so none are going to be slouchy. It is simply that the civic will on an average always smoke the corolla because there is no hesitation in keeping pedal to the metal. Both seem to be very good cars to me, minor niggles can be sorted out. Maybe not worth the price but then that is because of taxes, etc. and another story. In fact I myself posted that this is best time to buy corolla, since average car buyer looking more for VFM.
Hi,

Is it a good time to buy a Corolla if I get an H2 for 11.5L OTR Bangalore ? The rack rate is 12.6L

subbarp
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 12:43   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
Hi,

Is it a good time to buy a Corolla if I get an H2 for 11.5L OTR Bangalore ? The rack rate is 12.6L

subbarp
Once again, I (and as others) reiterate - there is no way to decide about any car until you test drive it at least 3-4 times, see dealership attitude and be comfortable in most ways - all ways impossible!

Drive both civic and corolla, check the difference in price and see for yourself. At this level, perhaps discount of even 1,00,000 should not really be deciding factor, unless you intend to use for 1-2 years only and upgrade/sell. If it is, then save 2,00,000 more and buy optra. Or even save 4,00,000 and buy fiesta/aveo.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 13:18   #276
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
Hi,

subbarp
The new Corolla may just be coming out so expect the discounts to double and wait for a few months since the Civic will capture the market they is bound to be more discounts on the Corolla.

Did somebody say 11L Embera?? Woow is it on road or exshowroom??
Mp421b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2006, 23:27   #277
BHPian

Default New Elantra before New Corolla

The 2007 Elantra expected to be launched in US in fall 2006.
http://www.hispanicprwire.com/news.p...&id=5949&cha=2
http://www.thenewelantra.com/

Looks quite good and very well equipped, mostly covering all of current Civic and Corolla's featureset.
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 08:47   #278
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

According to company specs, How much does the power-to-weight ratio of the civic work out to?
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 10:08   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new Corolla may just be coming out so expect the discounts to double
If you mean the totally new Corolla and not the tri-monthly redesign then the new one is expected to be out in 2008. Check out early artists rendition of the all new corolla here. (Is this the new Toyota Corolla?)
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2006, 21:27   #280
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
According to company specs, How much does the power-to-weight ratio of the civic work out to?
Civic - 109
Corolla - 107
Octavia RS - 111 (but faster due to turbopower)!
Old 30th July 2006, 23:26   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
Civic - 109
Corolla - 107
Octavia RS - 111 (but faster due to turbopower)!

Shouldnt that be (But ALSO faster due to turbopower)! ?????
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 15:20   #282
BHPian

ST great review..do you think that dry mouth was due to the excitement/fear!!??
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 17:28   #283
Senior - BHPian

No yaar, what fear / excitement in bumper to bumper traffic...
Waiting for some free time to take the car out on a highway.

Wish we had some thing like bombay Pune Highway around... :(
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 17:15   #284
BHPian

Haha. Seeing the current state of the Mumbai Pune expressway it would be better to stay of it. The road is pathetic. The whole way to the expressway is like a back breaker. Due to Landslides they close one lane of the expressway and bypass it into another.
Old 1st August 2006, 18:19   #285
BHPian

ST I believe the Hosur-Chennai road is superb. I beleve the Mysore road also is highly drivable....
Me too...bumper to bumber traffic from Whitefield Honda all the way to Airport rd... need to get out somewhere!
Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote