Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd August 2006, 13:45   #331

Hi fellow bhp-ians!
Finally got my Civic AT yesterday, in Habanero red!
Believe me, the car is jus AMAZING! A very good balance of all the features. The car was delivered by Divine Honda at Dehradun (about 400 kms from my place) so had to drive it 400 kms to get home. The drive was just amazing... enjoyed every moment of it. I drove all the way on D mode but did not encounter any power lag at any point of time... the car just zips at the slightest pressure on the accelerator pedal. Even after seven hours of drive, there was not the slightest hint of fatigue... in fact the drive was really enjoyable. Some fellow bhp-ians have posted recently on this thread regarding the build quality... the build quality is better than any other Japanese car - almost upto german car standards - take my word for it. Of the 400 kms of drive, about 20 kms in UP were bad broken roads with potholes and some places just no road at all - just a stretch of moonland, but the civic just smoothly glided through it all and was not even mildly shaken... it felt as strongly built as an Octavia. And yes, nothing fell off anywhere ( I mean the tailpipe). The FE it gave me through this stretch was about 14kpl. After this drive, I'm glad I bought the civic... overall it leads the segment by a mile and is even better than some cars in the upper segment. And yes... it is BIG head-turner!
Thanks all u fellow bhp-ians who helped me in choosing the car.. especially ST!
coolmastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:07   #332
Senior - BHPian

New Civic AT returning 14kmpl in hilly (is it?) terrain?
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:12   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Of the stretch, about 45 kms was uphill, the rest was plain.
Shall keep you fellow bhp-ians updated on my civic's well-being.
coolmastdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:49   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
If you click on "Learn More" on http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...me=Civic+Sedan this page, it says "In fact, models with the 5-speed automatic transmission get better highway mileage than those with the manual transmission."

So is that coolmastdude experienced in 1st highway drive?
bmanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:15   #335
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Coolmustdude on your new car.

14kmpl is a very good highway mileage for an A/T petrol car of that size.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:27   #336
Senior - BHPian

Corolla AT of a relative also generally returns 14kmpl on highway.
Old 3rd September 2006, 02:46   #337
BHPian

Recently drove the Manual, and well, the car is lovely when u sitting in the front! the pickup is great, the manual has real "power on demand" feel! nice engine noice, lovely dials, and great curves.

Coming to the rear seats, HORRIBLE! good enough for kids or short height ppl, even a medium height person isnt comfortable in the rear seats! cant Honda heighten the seats a bit on their way to India from Japan

The Boot, pathetic! compared to the boot they give in NHC!

overall, suspensions were also good, nice performance overall, and a nice buy for sure!

BUT! if i were to buy a car worth 12-13 lk, i wud rather go in for the Hyundai Sonata Embera! with the discounts being offered now, in hyd, u can get it for around 13.5lk Onroad - Manual Transmission. The sonata is far better in all terms, in all aspects, except the quality of Interiors is a bit better in Civic, compared to the Sonata Embera!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 11:24   #338
Senior - BHPian

Rear seats are quite good, people have complained about drivers seat height actually.

Boot, yes cost of increased interior space. I actually prefer it, since I am not going to carry huge luggage on daily basis.

Since it is not selling, hyundai has no choice but to offer huge discounts on embera. Embera is also good, yes and giving sweat to Honda Accord / Toyota Camry in western markets, but somehow it has not caught on here. Maybe very poor FE? and other glitches?
Old 5th September 2006, 08:53   #339
Senior - BHPian

Civic driver's seat hight is adjustable, so no reason to complain about!

I had an option of buying Honda Civic and Hyundai Sonata embera at pretty much same price. But after evaluating both cars I preferred Civic.

1st servicing done and I am really pleased with my choice
Old 5th September 2006, 13:51   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Saw a driving school Civic today. Amazingly, it was the higher spec one kitted out with alloys and sunroof. Lucky newbie drivers!

Wish I could have beeen able to go to such a driving school.It would be one school I would never want to pass out from.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 18:47   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
I had an option of buying Honda Civic and Hyundai Sonata embera at pretty much same price. But after evaluating both cars I preferred Civic.

1st servicing done and I am really pleased with my choice
Can you explain rationale behind your rejecting embera. I quite second your choice, but never really looked at embera at all, feeling it was way beyond my budget.
Old 5th October 2006, 10:41   #342
Senior - BHPian

I read someone saying on this thread that CIVIC's initial euphoria is short lived as after seeing and driving the car people are putting it down and that will reflect in Sep sales....

I had the answer but happily waited for the September statistics to reply to this... and here it is the numbers speak for themselves...

Honda Siel sold a total of 5,993 units in September 2006 as against 3,953 units sold in the corresponding month last year.
Model wise break-up for September 06:
City : 3776
Civic : 1999
Accord : 206
CRV : 12

Source: http://www.indiainfoline.com/news/in...Id=16676&lmn=1

See that Civic count, it's more than double the count of any single other competitor!
Irrespective of how hard the Toyota tries, they are still struggling with Corolla!
Old 5th October 2006, 10:49   #343
Senior - BHPian

ST7677, I think you've made your point but why post the same thing in two different threads simultaneously???
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 11:22   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain rationale behind your rejecting embera. I quite second your choice, but never really looked at embera at all, feeling it was way beyond my budget.
1. You take a test drive in both and you will know which one you want to pick. Anyway, I will still put some other factors which I thought of... (these are only my views)

2. Hyundai does not stand in that segment - Civic has more snob value than Embera, and looks much better, is more futuristic

3. Civic will hold it's value longer and will have better resale value

4. Civic is quicker and more fuel efficient (ofcourse it is smaller and lighter)

5. Space wise, since Civic has a longest wheel base (in it's segment), there is not too much diff in internal space between the two.

6. Bigger car, more difficult to drive in City - I love driving my car myself

7. It's anyway a copy of other cars (incl Honda)

8. I trust Honda much more than Hyundai

The Embera has already flopped. With discounts available on the new Embera it is already very close to Civic price, there is high probability that with new Accord, discounts will only increase in future and resale will only fall...
Old 5th October 2006, 11:28   #345
Senior - BHPian

Well because we have multiple threads covering the same topic.

First I posted here because it was a reply to an earlier post, second I posted it in "Civic shakes market" thread because these numbers make lot of sense there too! Hope that is ok, as long it helps fellow BHPians.