Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 87 36.10%
Paddle Shifting 98 40.66%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.24%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th October 2006, 20:44   #361
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys, how does it matter?
You're happy with your car and the matter ends there. I really don't see any point if one car is faster than the other on a 2 sec margin.

Please don't go off topic here guys...
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 22:42   #362
Senior - BHPian

Busa,
Why do you keep making fun of yourself by making baseless statements?

I have been watching you do this since beginning of this thread!

Also seen your thread where your Optra ripps an Octavia L&K. Seems like you have an Optra so you want everyone to believe that it is the best car ever made!

I don't have to prove my awareness about Indians cars. Your statements show that you have no clue on the subject you are debating.

Let me add more facts to avoid your misconception...

Length of cars in question:
Civic - 4545mm
Corolla - 4530mm
Elantra - 4525mm
Optra - 4515mm
Octavia - 4507mm

And anyway the outright success of Honda speaks for itself.
Whereas Toyotas and Optras struggle for survival!

Like ciVic, they were all excellent cars when they were launched but then with time better products keep coming. No harm in accepting that...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 22:49   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST767
Keep it as your own comment. Don't make any statement before using them.

Once again. This thread is slowly heading for a unwanted status. Watch out.
Old 11th October 2006, 23:39   #364
BHPian

Agree Fully to Rudra's statement <Hey guys, how does it matter?
You're happy with your car and the matter ends there. I really don't see any point if one car is faster than the other on a 2 sec margin.>

Also I am getting a sense that this site is turning into one only for speed freaks where all choices are around speed, power, pickup.
Does that really matter so much to everybody!! I wonder. I bought a car(incidentally Corolla) because it had the best back seat in that kind of budget, did not scrape any speed breakers and pretty easy to drive in the city. Please look at cars wholistically and not just from a BHP angle(though the site is called team-bhp) :-)
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:27   #365
Senior - BHPian

You are right, subbarp. Today corolla seems best VFM as an overall average reasonably trouble free car, with good prestige. I have been recommending it also, feeling that civic is a bit too pricey. But then loads of people do feel otherwise also. So each to his own. One should test drive a prospective car at least 3-4 times before deciding and past experience with a particular brand also becomes one of the decision criteria.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 12:40   #366
Senior - BHPian

I agree with both of you. Each user has their own preferences and they should go with self testing of all cars in question and decide yourself. All cars also offer differnt propsition to their buyers.
I also evaluated multiple cars like Octavia, embera, Civic by taking around 50km test drive in each of these cars...

I was only upset by some wrong representation of facts.

Even today I believe that Octavia RS is the best drivers car around, yes better than Civic, but than it,s rear, a s s and expensive total cost of ownership lead me deciding against it as an overall package.

I also agree that Civic is little pricey at this point, which all products are supposed to be at beginning of their product lifecycle, specially the lifestyle ones. Take example of mobile phones pricing and you know what I mean.

As mentioned in my own thread, with full load of 5 + luggage Civic sometimes brushes it's underbelly on some badly built speed breakers... I openly accept the negative point of my car and make fellow bhpians aware about it. But overall I still love the Civic package and I am happy with my decision!
After all at end of a wonderful drive it gives me a mileage of 9.5 to 10kmpl in a city like Bangalore with full auto AC.

In MY OpinioN...
AS far as value for money is concerned please be a bit more careful, specially if you intend to sell the car within 4-5 years.

The resale value of the car is largely dependent on it's brand and it's lowest model (in that segment). By introducing a Corolla at 9 lakhs and offering a lakh of discounts on it's existing Model Toyota has big time hurt the resaler value of it's existing cars. In long run it may also hurt the brand.

Optra faces price discount issues and moreover brand issue also.

Dear Rudra sir,
This is cIvic thread, and hence comparision to othe cars in the segment is inevitable.
IF I have gone beyond the scope, I apologise, please edit/delete such post.
Old 12th October 2006, 12:59   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
This is cIvic thread, and hence comparision to othe cars in the segment is inevitable.
There's nothing wrong with comparision but more often than not, comparision gets into a mindless/solutionless debate.
Old 12th October 2006, 13:13   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, how does it matter? You're happy with your car and the matter ends there.
We both have bought our cars, but there will be fellow bhpians who will make their decisions somewhat influenced by t-bhp.

While I do not question anyone's opinion, we all have right to our own, but we should at least ensure that the facts are not distorted.

Will ensure that the discussion is not mindless and solutionless from my end!

Last edited by ST7677 : 12th October 2006 at 13:17.
Old 12th October 2006, 13:17   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I do not question anyone's opinion, we all have right to our own, but we should at least ensure that the facts are not distorted.
ST, this is a very subjective statement.....more often that not, I see the facts DO get distorted because the "own-car" bias inevitably creeps in.

As an observer to this thread since inception, I can see it in your posts as well .......and other's too.

So who ensures that what we post is not distorted?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 14:49   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Busa,
Why do you keep making fun of yourself by making baseless statements?

I have been watching you do this since beginning of this thread!

Also seen your thread where your Optra ripps an Octavia L&K. Seems like you have an Optra so you want everyone to believe that it is the best car ever made!

I don't have to prove my awareness about Indians cars. Your statements show that you have no clue on the subject you are debating.

Let me add more facts to avoid your misconception...

Length of cars in question:
Civic - 4545mm
Corolla - 4530mm
Elantra - 4525mm
Optra - 4515mm
Octavia - 4507mm

And anyway the outright success of Honda speaks for itself.

Like ciVic, they were all excellent cars when they were launched but then with time better products keep coming. No harm in accepting that...
The interior space is actually not measured in terms of the car's length. It's actually the wheelbase which is the key for passenger space. The height of the seats and thigh support also contribute to the comfort.

Honda car's success in India are mainly due to its brand image. The real fact is that Honda does not enjoy a brand image outside India especially in Europe and US. Honda too makes lemons. There is no exception.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 15:10   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, when the mods managed to re-direct the thread back to the topic, here comes trouble. What was that again ? Honda does not have a brand image in the US/Europe ? All I can say is, let's post stuff that contributes to the discussion, which in this case, is the Civic and how it compares to its peers, instead of going into irrelevant and illogical posts about brand image etc.

And BTW, brand image is not something that companies can go and buy at supermarkets. It comes from years of consumer's experience with a product and his perception of the value associated with a product. If a company enjoys a great brand image among consumers, it is usually with a reason.

BTW, saw a new un-registered NIghthawk Black Civic in the parking lot just now. It is a stunner. Drool, drool.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 16:00   #372
Senior - BHPian

ST i do completely agree with you that the Civic is the best car in the segment as of today, no doubt about that, its the freshest, most powerful(leave the RS) and has a good brand image, looks cool too, has features first in class, but comaparing it with a bigger car like the Embera and trying to show the Civic better then that is not quite possible. The Embera is a D+ segment car which is larger atleast in external measurements and has more kit(TCS, Leather) and has a bigger engine, weighs more as well. However i am expecting NC who has posted before that he would be writting a short test drive report on the Embera to hurry up with his report, so that we can get a better perspective of all the cars.

Edit : I have nothing against Honda, look at my avtaar you can see a OHC Vtec.

Last edited by BUSA : 12th October 2006 at 16:02.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 17:21   #373
DRC
BHPian

I am seeing this thread similar to Hyundai comparing swift with Santro..
We do not have anything to sell here, and more knowledgable than most sales guys in the showrooms. Can we be a little more unbiased too?
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 19:56   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Keep it as your own comment. Don't make any statement before using them.

Once again. This thread is slowly heading for a unwanted status. Watch out.
Gentle Reminder....rather a rude shove!!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 20:11   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
I bought a car(incidentally Corolla) because it had the best back seat in that kind of budget, did not scrape any speed breakers and pretty easy to drive in the city. Please look at cars wholistically and not just from a BHP angle(though the site is called team-bhp) :-)
You probably did.....but little did you realize that its the Corolla that the fastest acclerating car between the Civic, Optra, Cedia and Octy 2.0
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote