Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd June 2014, 22:43   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
I had a very good experience on point #2 recently. About 2 weeks ago, i could hear a "tak tak" sound whenever the car passes a hump or potholes. Heard this for 3 days straight, couldn't figure out what the issue was or where the sound was originating from? So, took it straight to Vecto service on hosur road. There were quite a lot of customers, considering it was a weekend. I was asked to wait for few minutes. A service advisor came in and we went for a test drive. 2 minutes and he said that the sound is coming in from the front suspension and that the linking rods might be a bit loose.

Back to service station, put the car on the lift and the mechanics asked to check the fitting. They were indeed a bit loose. Tightened, car lowered down, test drove again. no noise and the car was flying all done in 30 minutes and not a single penny paid from the pocket! A very satisfied customer drove back home. The sound hasn't comeback until now

Note: The SA and the mechanics didn't even accept a generous tip from me for their display of customer obsession !
That is very encouraging indeed. Like I said, as more and more people experience good customer service from Fiat, it will surely reflect in the sales figures. I think Fiat is doing a very good job at this. Advertising campaigns can only help to a certain extent in India. People greatly rely on others opinions and experience here when they make a big investment.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 13:19   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
I see a lot of appreciation for the new Linea in this thread. Nevertheless i dont see it getting reflected in the sales charts of April 2014. I wonder why !
Ah well; that is not going to happen. Though there is a lot of hope from the Fiat lovers club, I don't see any change taking place with the new Linea. Atleast not so much a change that can cause worry for the Linea's immediate competitors. There is only one reason for this, the competition has better reputation as a company and the cars they sell.

The Linea can't touch the competition when it comes to sales. It never will. It is a car that appeals to a few. Those who love to drive are the only one's who are going to buy it.

Some other factors are; It is not the best when it comes to packaging and by this I mean specifically space. Personally; I think its the worst. It is not a roomy car, save for the boot. The competition offers much better rear passenger room. This is very important for the majority of buyers. I don't know why Fiat have ignored this completely with the re launch. I can't say for the re launch but I am sure little has changed, Driver ergonomics are not perfect, something is off with the symmetry of the seat, to the pedals and the steering wheel. Clutch travel is long, the gearbox is okay. I would love to have the gearbox, clutch of a Swift or a Brio on a T Jet. I am sure a good second will be shaved off with a shorter clutch and better gearbox. The shift action for the gearbox feels as if there is a lot of latex tied around the stick. Then you have inconsistent fit and finish, even on the T Jet which is supposed to have the best. Then, there is no escaping Fiat as a company who have not had the best of innings in India. They are struggling to get things sorted even after five long years. Unacceptable.

You buy a Linea as it offers the best driving experience and thats it.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd June 2014 at 13:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:24   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It is not a roomy car, save for the boot. The competition offers much better rear passenger room. This is very important for the majority of buyers. I don't know why Fiat have ignored this completely with the re launch.
Indeed, that too when looking at external dimensions, it's one of the longer in the segment. A question in similar lines: Is it an option so fold/split the seats in the new Linea at least? I really miss it in my Linea, which is a feature that was there even in a my decade old Corsa.
prakash_ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:32   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
A question in similar lines: Is it an option so fold/split the seats in the new Linea at least?
You can fold the rear bench on a Linea. I don't know if this feature is variant specific. It is there on my car. No split seat arrangement though. I don't know of any other sedan in the segment of the Linea that offers a split seat.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:39   #275
BANNED

Hi Sandeepmohan, have you checked out the new Linea yet? Most of the 'issues' you've pointed to, and i am not saying i fully agree with all you've said, simply do not exist anymore on it. If you haven't already, please do so if you can, I'd be keen to hear your observations, since you're a pre-2012 Linea owner?

cheers
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:40   #276
BHPian

I think Fiat needs to bring the 1.6L diesel to India ASAP. Hyundai verna has similar rear space as the linea but has a powerful engine and despite its shortcomings as widely discussed, manages decent sales numbers every month. Hope Fiat is listening.
nikhil0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 01:19   #277
BANNED

Fiat's problems in this market are dealers and ASS reputation, and not much else. Engines and rear space etc is not the reason the Linea sells weakly. As word of the ongoing improvements on that front spreads (and IF the improvements are sustained and increased) Fiats will sell more, bigger diesel or not.

btw, the Linea rear space and not just comfort is MUCH superior to the Verna, which is a narrower car, with low seats leading to terrible entry-egress, not to mention appalling ride-and-handling.
desdemona is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 10:47   #278
BHPian

Fiats ASS reputation during the TATA partnership was questionable. Now that it has been more than a year since their split, they have had time to correct that (and they also have been successful to a large extent). Fiat is also doing the right thing by concentrating on increasing the number of dealerships.

Compared to the competition, the 1.3L engine is underpowered. Fiat must atleast be on par with the competition to give itself a fair chance.
Hopefully the sales will increase with the new introductions in 2015 and 2016. Until then, there is only so much that they can do for the existing lineup.
nikhil0405 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:33   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
have you checked out the new Linea yet?
I did. For me, the new dashboard alone does not scream improved. The old dashboard, atleast on the T Jet version is very well finished. It is other areas like the fusing of the door panels to the door frame, horrible plastic quality below the front windscreen, rubber beading under the hood and towards the fire wall that comes off. It is too early to comment on how these things hold up on the Linea refresh. My car looked good when I inspected it. It is only after owning one you learn of the grey areas. Off course, its not so bad that you rule out buying the Linea. Still; these are basic things that you need to set right before a launch.

Quote:
Fiat's problems in this market are dealers and ASS reputation, and not much else. Engines and rear space etc is not the reason the Linea sells weakly.
Yes it is but you can't ignore the weak diesel on the Linea. It is primarily due to the weight of the Linea. The car weighs as much as a new Toyota Corolla. As for rear space, I agree with you that its the same on a Verna but thats not the only car its up against. The Verna is actually horrible for a back bencher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
Fiats ASS reputation during the TATA partnership was questionable.
Fiat is slow. I think thats how they operate world over.

Keeping aside Vecto motors, which other Fiat ASS has consistency? None. It was not too long ago I read about someone running around for a ORVM for this Punto in Cochin. ORVM, common Fiat India. You cannot keep customers waiting for something like this. Its over 5 years now and if you look back, TATA were doing a decent job taking care of Fiats. Fiat, by themselves are not doing any better.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th June 2014 at 13:34.
Old 4th June 2014, 13:38   #280
BHPian

Quote:
You can fold the rear bench on a Linea. I don't know if this feature is variant specific. It is there on my car. No split seat arrangement though. I don't know of any other sedan in the segment of the Linea that offers a split seat.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Mine is a 2010 MJD, but I have to get through a couple of alan bolts before I can fold them, which for all practical purposes means, not available.
prakash_ajp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 17:03   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Keeping aside Vecto motors, which other Fiat ASS has consistency? None. It was not too long ago I read about someone running around for a ORVM for this Punto in Cochin. ORVM, common Fiat India. You cannot keep customers waiting for something like this. Its over 5 years now and if you look back, TATA were doing a decent job taking care of Fiats. Fiat, by themselves are not doing any better.
It seems you have no knowledge of other Fiat dealers other than Vecto motors. In Pune, I have not heard bad things about Fiat A.S.S. Anyways, the A.S.S. is not scary like Skoda from what I have read in this forum. A delay in procuring a spare part does not qualify as bad A.S.S.

I think there used to be step motherly treatment to Fiat owners in the Tata days. Things have definitely improved though not perfect. All I can say is that they are definitely moving in the right direction.
nikhil0405 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 20:18   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I have to get through a couple of alan bolts before I can fold them, which for all practical purposes means, not available.
Oh boy. It is much easier on my car. Two small pull straps behind the head rests and that's it, the seat flips forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil0405 View Post
It seems you have no knowledge of other Fiat dealers other than Vecto motors.
No I don't but from what I have been reading here, the standards of the ASS in general have a long long way to go.

I highlighted Vecto because they are the most dependable in my city. Give it to the alternate option called Aadya motors (Also known as Ebony) and your car is probably never making it back. Next alternative, KHT Motors. These chaps can handle scheduled service. When it comes to problem solving, they are hopeless.

You have high regard for your ASS, that is good. It is the same for me too. Have you read some of the post of the Delhi chapter? I would not want to own a Fiat in Delhi for sure.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 21:52   #283
BHPian

What the Linea lacks in rear knee room it makes up in terms of very deep and comfortable seat. Moreover it is firm and high, which helps in egress and ingress. In empty condition the clear space infront of rear seat seems less, but the depth of the seat accords very good under thigh support. Once I sat in a two year old Vento, the rear seat was surprisingly low and squishy. It felt like a worn out sofa.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 23:09   #284
BANNED

Yes, it is true that people often fail to adjust for the depth of the rear seat bench when judging the Linea's rear legroom: it's seat bench is much deeper/wider than the Vento/Rapid, the Verna. Entry and egress from the Linea's seats are not just class best but arguably the best for any sedan at any price. Overall rear comfort is similarly excellent, thanks to seats are firm-ish rather than squishy-soft, and of course the flat ride and the taut handling.

@Sandeepmohan. Look, I've had to deal with Tata ASS for the Palio and the 2010 Linea Fire. They get bashed far too much, I concluded, since on the whole they were satisfactory, no more but no less either.

My experience with the new Fiat ASS, and my sense of the kind and quality of operations has been similar: satisfactory. I know several other Fiat owners in Delhi NCR who feel similarly. (Common) Parts availibility is much improved, support for Palio-s (spares) is much better. So no, FASS in delhi NCR is not uniformly good or bad, just a bit middling.

Frankly, one should take internet reports and opiniation (like this post!) on dealers and ASS experiences with several pinches of salt!

What I've got to say, though, is that the FASS here in Delhi NCR (I think there are 6 or 7 now?) at least, have some way to go before word-of-mouth will be unreservedly positive, like it is for say a Toyota. That is true elsewhere too, I guess, though the story in Mumbai, Pune and the South seems better on average.

What Fiat have got to do is help the dealers make better money from further increases in sales volumes, and then it will be easier to enforce the expensive-for-dealers upgradation of ASS quality. Bring on the new launches!
desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 08:38   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is true that people often fail to adjust for the depth of the rear seat bench when judging the Linea's rear legroom
Wait, how do you adjust the depth of the rear seat bench?

The SX4 offers the easiest ingress and egress followed by the Linea. The seat angle, support are outstanding on both cars.

My point was leg room. It is insufficient. With the room I need to sit up front and drive, there is no way a person can move an inch if seated right behind me. It is very tight. Good luck if you are a passenger in the middle. VW and Skoda don't have the best seats but they sure have more legroom.

I have no further comments regarding after sales.