Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th June 2014, 15:38   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
Fiat planning to introduce a base variant of Linea.
Price alone is NOT a buying criterion for fleet operators. Fiat is trying to tread into a space where they just don't make sense. "Leave these things Fiat, you appeal to a niche segment, try to serve them well and increase your sales."

I do NOT find any reason why a Linea would click over a Dzire / Etios / Sunny for a fleet operator. That's a sector where FE, ease of maintenance, TCO etc matters more than driving dynamics or sheet metal thickness.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th June 2014 at 15:40.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 15:53   #332
Senior - BHPian

Friends, finally mind has prevailed over heart!

My second Fiat is on the way, have booked a new Linea Multijet Emotion (Tuscan Wine)

Delivery expected by July first week.
finneyp is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 16:13   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Price alone is NOT a buying criterion for fleet operators. Fiat is trying to tread into a space where they just don't make sense. "Leave these things Fiat, you appeal to a niche segment, try to serve them well and increase your sales."

I do NOT find any reason why a Linea would click over a Dzire / Etios / Sunny for a fleet operator. That's a sector where FE, ease of maintenance, TCO etc matters more than driving dynamics or sheet metal thickness.
Your post echos what I mentioned last year when Fiat made that classic mistake. At that point some of the Fiat fans didn't agree with my observation. I hope this test-mule is being used for testing some exciting engine option, and Fiat India is not going to make the same Classic mistake again.

I am unable to quote my earlier post as that thread has been closed. Let me paste an excerpt from my earlier post.

Quote:
"They are trying to become something that they will struggle to, but in the process they run the risk of losing some proportion of their fans. Fiat can never match Maruti or Hyundai when it comes to targeting mass-market. With the sweet engine deal, it made all the sense for them to target the high-margin enthusiast segment over high-volume mass-segment. If their plan is to launch great products aimed at 'Enthusiasts' next year, then their plan to position their most premium product (in current lineup) with Amaze and Dzire is not a good move."

Source (Fiat to launch lower-priced Linea Classic* EDIT: launched at 5.99L*)
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:42   #334
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

My second Fiat is on the way, have booked a new Linea Multijet Emotion (Tuscan Wine)

Congrats, FinneyP. A true Fiat fan/enthusiast, I take. If it is applicable to you, can you share why you preferred the Multijet over other diesel sedans like Vento/Rapid/Verna/New Fiesta (if decision was made just now)?

If it is just because you already own a Fiat and know its merits that you went for one, then I would just wish you a great time with your second Linea.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:56   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
If it is applicable to you, can you share why you preferred the Multijet over other diesel sedans like Vento/Rapid/Verna/New Fiesta (if decision was made just now)?
Hi Ajay, had evaluated other diesel sedans in this price range, please find some posts on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...others-51.html (Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Others)

But, didn't check out the new Facelifted Fiesta, anyway preferred the build quality, handling & looks of Linea over Fiesta.

Quote:
If it is just because you already own a Fiat and know its merits that you went for one, then I would just wish you a great time with your second Linea.
Thanks! Yes, having driven a Palio for over 10 years & enjoyed the Fiat experience, decided to continue the legacy with Linea
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 19:09   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Heartiest congratulations! True fiat fan there. ☺ It would be good to know your experience with the new multijet.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 13:00   #337
Senior - BHPian

I agree completely and this is what i had written in the Fiat Strategy thread as well some days ago , simply having a basic low cost version is not going to cut it ,for fleet operators there are multiple other considerations - fuel economy , spare parts and so on - Fiat does not have a strong backbone as far as the latter (and related) aspects go and neither FE to boast about - additionally by trimming it down too much they will probably end up losing even in terms of what the feature list is compared to other cars.... so they lose from all angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 16:23   #338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I agree completely and this is what i had written in the Fiat Strategy thread as well some days ago , simply having a basic low cost version is not going to cut it ,for fleet operators there are multiple other considerations - fuel economy , spare parts and so on - Fiat does not have a strong backbone as far as the latter (and related) aspects go and neither FE to boast about - additionally by trimming it down too much they will probably end up losing even in terms of what the feature list is compared to other cars.... so they lose from all angles.
Wonder whether any Fiat enthusiast would be happy to see their favourite car being used by fleet operators. I used to have a Civic earlier, and I have seen only two Civic taxis on the road in my lifetime, and both times I cringed at the sight of it. I would still buy a car with low sales, but not touch a taxi brand.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 16:41   #339
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand the need for a base variant of Linea again. Seriously, what is the point?? It looks like they have lost all interest in launching new products and engine line-ups. Instead, they are content launching permutations and combinations of what are already flogged workhorses - multijet 75HP and 90HP. We saw a Linea 'classic' with a 75HP tune and 14" wheels. What next?? Linea with 1.2 petrol also, perhaps?

Where is that coveted 1.6 Multijet?? The Dualogic autoboxes? Or even the next gen MultiAir / MultiJet II series of engines?? The competition in the diesel sedan segment is far ahead. Until they refresh the engine / transmission line-up quickly, I for one believe the Linea brand will die a slow death in the days to come. It has already begun . Sorry to say.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 16:52   #340
Senior - BHPian

Linea Classic was a flop show, I don't think they will dare again to launch 'New Linea Classic'.

Reg 1.6 MJD, even I was eagerly waiting for this, but Fiat India has no plans to manufacture the same in the near future (i.e. 2014 - 15). The best chance is 2016.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 16:54   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Linea with 1.2 petrol also, perhaps?
I won't be surprised considering they once had a Siena/Petra 1.2l. It was under powered in the Palio, which they knew and they still went ahead with a 1.2l in the sedan.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 17:11   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I won't be surprised considering they once had a Siena/Petra 1.2l. It was under powered in the Palio, which they knew and they still went ahead with a 1.2l in the sedan.
Considering the fact that the 1.2L was in fact 1242cc and the 1.4L in the Linea is in fact a 1368cc engine, the difference between them is only 126cc.

And if you also consider their weights, Petra - 1050kg and Linea - 1240kg, the 1242cc engine in the Petra looks like a better match for the car than the 1368 in the Linea.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 07:05   #343
BHPian

While I have been browsing the manual to understand some of the dashboard features and controls, I came across an option for activating or deactivating the driver / passenger airbags. Is such an option really needed? Should they not be activated always to protect the occupants.
SSD2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 07:35   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
I came across an option for activating or deactivating the driver / passenger airbags. Is such an option really needed?
The driver's airbag cannot be deactivated. Only the front passenger's airbag has an option for deactivation, which could be exercised, when the driver drives solo. In an unfortunate event of frontal collision during solo drive, the front passenger's airbag is saved.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 08:37   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
I came across an option for activating or deactivating the driver / passenger airbags. Is such an option really needed?
As already mentioned, driver air bag cannot be disabled. The purpose of disabling the passenger airbag is for situations when you have a child in a child seat (placed in reverse) strapped up front. Air bag blowing up with a child in the front seat can cause injury. I think there is a warning sign or sticker on the passenger sun visor.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote