Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 09:57   #481
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Most important, you should be happy with your buy rather than remain worried later. If efficiency is what you want then mjd would be better. I knew that tjet suits my driving style and I am more than happy with it.
So take a call on what is more important and then go for it.
Arre bhai! Confusion hi confusion hai!

On one side, there is my dream Linea, all decked up, in the perfect condition.

On the other side, there's practicality. Carwale opines that the car is worth 5.8-6 lakhs. Owner is asking- 6.5

I'll bid 5.75. Yet- I guess, the discounted Active/Dynamic MJD probably makes more sense here. BUT hey! A T-Jet+ at 5.75 is an excellent price. Probably.

If the mileage of 17 () is possible, then I guess, I'll be more keen. For now, I'm still confused.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 4th January 2015 at 09:59.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 10:25   #482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Hi

I bought a pre-owned Tjet recently and had the same thoughts. What's in a 2-3 kmpl - at Rs. 65 to a litre, difference between 15 kmpl (which I have got) and 17 kmpl is less than Rs. 0.5-0.6 per km.

For the record, a difference that small gets made up if the car requires no great maintenance - for eg., tyres, battery etc. If you are getting a car with out the need for a tyre change, battery change, everything working in perfect condition, Rs. 5.75 is a no brainer.

without any offence, your concern about 17 kmpl is more in the kind than in real life. Focus on smaller things like battery/tyre life, suspension - if you save 20 k on these, 13 kmp will also seem fair.

The tjet is an incredibly satisfying car to drive and ironically even within the city. The way it devours potholes and the stiff steering means nothing fazes it - speed brokers or deep pot holes.


And don't buy an active - the leather seats, ABS, ACC, 16 " all make abig difference in safety and ride comfort.
varadha_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 11:05   #483
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadha_r View Post
Hi

I bought a pre-owned Tjet recently and had the same thoughts. What's in a 2-3 kmpl - at Rs. 65 to a litre, difference between 15 kmpl (which I have got) and 17 kmpl is less than Rs. 0.5-0.6 per km.

For the record, a difference that small gets made up if the car requires no great maintenance - for eg., tyres, battery etc. If you are getting a car with out the need for a tyre change, battery change, everything working in perfect condition, Rs. 5.75 is a no brainer.
A new battery does not cost much anyway.

My real confusion is- The running will be 30k per year, give and take. Since the price is what can be rightly called a bargain, perhaps the T-Jet will work out?
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 15:56   #484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 49
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Simple fintal. If you were getting a honda city that gives you 17 kmpl (whose market rate can be found out easily as the market is deep and liquid) and you are running a linea t-jet that gives you 15 kmpl.

Over a 30k distance every year, linea tjet will cost you 16k more every year at a price of Rs. 65/litre of petrol.
Assuming that you intend to keep the car for 3 years, it should be 16 k * 3 (I am not including the time value of money here).

So, if you are getting a honda city for x, as long as you are getting a linea tjet for x - 50k at least you should go for it (assuming a new honda city is priced on par with linea tjet). Given all of the small things like brand, residual value etc. I think as long as you get a linea tjet for 75k less than a comparable honda city, you should go for it.

Alternatively,

You buy a linea tjet for x. Run 3 years and it costs you 50 k extra because of the lower fuel efficiency.


Typical thumb rule I use is about Rs. 10/km of ownership + maintenance + insurance + spares out of which about Rs. 7/km is for just the ownership amount.

So, 90k ownership means about Rs. 6 lakhs or there abouts - so, as long as you are getting below Rs. 6 lakhs or so, it's a good deal even if you assume zero residual value - which is unlikely. I could argue that the residual value will be offset against he maintenance, spares, insurance etc. that it consumes over the next 3 years.

And for the record, you can improve fuel efficiency easily by 2 kmpl by adding low resistance tyres - I added ceat gripp and I get 10.5 kmpl in the city Vs the earlier 8.8 kmpl I used to get. Also, I brake seldom, shift up at 2 k rpm and never 'under gear' the car.

I' ve got 15.5 kmpl on the highway and 17 kmpl is possible at a steady 80-90 with relaxed driving.
varadha_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 16:41   #485
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,901
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Is it possible to get 17-18 kmpl in expressway speeds? Read as 65-90 in fifth gear.The running in this case will 30k per year. While everything about the T-Jet is satisfactory, the efficiency bit worries me.
I have managed 15.6kmpl and it was no easy task. That was the first and the last time I drove my T Jet to derive economy. The T Jet, atleast for me, is not a car you buy for economy. Out on the highway, there is no way you can feather the pedal on a T Jet. If its economy you are after, get a Honda or the Vento Tsi.

At 30k km a year, I would not consider a T Jet or any petrol car. It is better you pick a diesel.

On a recent drive to Hyderabad and back, speeds hovering around 120-130kmph where possible, I got 13kmpl and I think this is great.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 13:07   #486
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

On a recent drive to Hyderabad and back, speeds hovering around 120-130kmph where possible, I got 13kmpl and I think this is great
.
If that is true, then at sane highway speeds like 75-90KMPH, it is definitely possible to get 16-17?

2015 begins in a special note for me. The year of the T-Jet.

I don't care about the petrol bills anyway. The environment is doomed anyway, and I'm rather famous for my cycling antics.

Well- goes to say that being chauffered, carpooling, and cycling might be lighter on the pocket (& for the environment, as well), but I'm not caring now.

For every 2k km run, my cycle used to take up about 3k in services and all. Not to mention the fuel that the other car was taking, for being chauferred about. Add the service bills as well. Maruti service isn't CHEAP. And the chaufer's wages as well.

I'm ridding myself of the chauffer. And plan to cut down on cycling. And reduce the running of the damn WagonR.

Preparation for the T-Jet? You bet!

What is the cost of the Delphi HU for the Linea? And the cost of the air-filter assembly?

The Linea I'm really considering is sparingly used, has some mods, everywhere. The HU is changed, so I'm losing the Blue&Me, something I need badly. So- another Delphi/Blaupaunkt HU will have to be bought, all the way from Portugal. or the neighbourhood FASS.

Does the T-Jet run on this Selenia oil as stock as well? I've got some liters of Mobil left, so-perhaps?
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 15:42   #487
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

I'll bid 5.75. Yet- I guess, the discounted Active/Dynamic MJD probably makes more sense here. BUT hey! A T-Jet+ at 5.75 is an excellent price. Probably.
.
T-Jets usually go for much cheaper.
Quote a lakh less and settle halfway, unless your gut feeling is that the car is as good as brand new and will not give you any niggles.

*facepalm*
EDIT: Just realized you bought the car in question. Congratulations! How much did you pay?

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 10th January 2015 at 15:44.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 19:19   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
T-Jets usually go for much cheaper.
Quote a lakh less and settle halfway, unless your gut feeling is that the car is as good as brand new and will not give you any niggles.

The car in question is a very, very special T-Jet. I'd rather not have been interested in a used T-Jet, if not for this car.
I suggest that you go thru. all the ownership reviews of 2012 Linea's, and guess which one I'm referring to.

The car is black and has a legendary audio install- Another hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
EDIT: Just realized you bought the car in question. Congratulations! How much did you pay?
Not quite bought.

All will be revealed in due course. Patience!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 10th January 2015 at 19:21.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 21:20   #489
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,901
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
If that is true, then at sane highway speeds like 75-90KMPH, it is definitely possible to get 16-17?
16kmpl is a number I have got close to but I don't plan on ever trying that again.

It is impossible to drive a T Jet at the speeds you suggest. The car begs you to drive faster, if the roads permit.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 12:23   #490
Senior - BHPian
 
puchoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 750 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

I know the one you are referring to, quite an audio set up in that one. Congrats on your purchase , my only one piece of advise for a happier experience would be to not have unrealistic expectations with the car , its not a fuel economy friendly car , you can get obsessed trying to get the most mileage you can out of it but there is no point , you will never enjoy the car for what it is meant to be. Just drive the hell out of it.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 12:42   #491
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I know the one you are referring to, quite an audio set up in that one.
Ah! Lets see...lets see....

I'm only seriously considering it.

But hey- I'm just in love with that one!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 01:29   #492
BHPian
 
pdma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 602
Thanked: 818 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Folks ,

There are some good discounts ongoing on the 2014 models and I planning to close soon on Dynamic MJD.
I have always loved the Linea for what it is and looks like this would be the car for me this year.
I will keep you posted , however honest feedback on quality of after service and availability of spares which have been the ghosts haunting FIAT from ages is highly appreciated. From what I read things have changed for better for FIAT after the divorce with TATA.

Thank You in advance,

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 12:14   #493
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,637
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Folks ,

There are some good discounts ongoing on the 2014 models and I planning to close soon on Dynamic MJD.
I have always loved the Linea for what it is and looks like this would be the car for me this year.
I will keep you posted , however honest feedback on quality of after service and availability of spares which have been the ghosts haunting FIAT from ages is highly appreciated. From what I read things have changed for better for FIAT after the divorce with TATA.

Thank You in advance,

Cheers,
pdma.
I am a FIAT car owner since last 10 years now (Palio -> Punto) and I never faced any issue with the service centers in Pune (Jay-Vijay -> BUB -> Acumen -> Pandit). Well, if you set your expectations right, in 80% of the cases, you wont be disappointed. I never had a spare part issue or may be I am just one of the lucky few here.

I have changed parts like: Rear shock, windshield, ORVM mirror, Starter motor, left Headlight and never had to wait for the part to come. Check out the ownership reports of people in your city and that would help you take a calculated risk. I am sure once you own a FIAT, you would rather always stick to the brand for what it offers at that price point
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 20:12   #494
BHPian
 
pdma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 602
Thanked: 818 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am a FIAT car owner since last 10 years now (Palio -> Punto) and I never faced any issue with the service centers in Pune (Jay-Vijay -> BUB -> Acumen -> Pandit).
Thank you for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am sure once you own a FIAT, you would rather always stick to the brand for what it offers at that price point
Yes this would be my first FIAT and I heard and read many statements on similar lines " Once a FIATian always a FIATian" , so hoping to have the similar experience like most of the owners .

Iam making a few last minute calculations and would be taking the final call by tomorrow.

Thank You,
pdma.
pdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 18:18   #495
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,251 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

In case you go ahead and get this TJet, consider an exchange of HUs. I am thinking of taking the OE HU out of my TJet+ and replacing with an aftermarket unit and am open to flip.

As for oil, yes Selenia K is OE recommended and the 1 litre made in Malaysia cans are a far better bet than any 'blended' or 'packed' in India Mobil, Shell or any other similarly packaged oil. However if the car is out of warranty one is free to pour any of the brands in to the block.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
What is the cost of the Delphi HU for the Linea? And the cost of the air-filter assembly?

The Linea I'm really considering is sparingly used, has some mods, everywhere. The HU is changed, so I'm losing the Blue&Me, something I need badly. So- another Delphi/Blaupaunkt HU will have to be bought, all the way from Portugal. or the neighbourhood FASS.

Does the T-Jet run on this Selenia oil as stock as well? I've got some liters of Mobil left, so-perhaps?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3033 14th October 2017 19:46
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Test Drive: 2014 Renault Koleos Facelift ajmat Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 24th May 2014 00:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks