Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 15:56   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! The 190 is timeless and yours seems to be in immaculate shape. Hard to believe that she's 25 years old. The Mercs of yesteryear were truly built to last.

Curious to know why you bought this over an Indian W124? E220s go cheap, are newer, bigger, RHD, cleaner paperwork (having been made here) and available with an MT. Plus, the W124 is also an 'oldschool' Mercedes.

Have fun with her. This one's a keeper.
Thanks GTO! I went for this model mainly because
- It was then Mercedes answer to the 3 series (the E30's). So there is some strong history associated with it
- The W124 is a bit too big for my garage
- I was not interested in any diesel models
- The LHD increased the drool factor
- More importantly, The W124 the petrol variant that was available in India wasn't sufficiently powerful, for such a large body. the 190E 2.6 with its sikly smooth 6 cylinder engine can do 0-100 in 8.3 secs (manual), about a second more for the auto - and in a relatively light shell (kerb weight stands at 1200 kgs). She definitely handles way better than a W124.

Thought it was all worth the pain, which hasnt fully gone yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Actually there are 3

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post1301745

Owned by sunilgee

There was a ka05 one in Bangalore Turquoise coloured. I pondered and decided on a Skoda RS instead. Guess which would have been less troublesome.

I spotted one in OLX for sale in Delhi, the condition might have been questionable though.
That's nice to know Ajmat. Another one from the same year, and imported from the US as well.
kdadi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 17:39   #17
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
I took a few months to sort out the hot start issue. So its literally been just 2-3 months since its ready for daily use

There is a slight rubber-band effect to the auto-tranny. It definitely misses a 5th cog. The performance of the Linea MJD has been talked about quite a bit on the forums. And being a manual, we cannot compare it to the Merc's auto. But being race-chip'ed, my Linea goes pretty well I should say.
The fuel accumulator can give some trouble. Check out the cold start valve too, if it is leaking, it can cause problems during hot starts as well.

If it is overly lethargic and not shifting up on time or too early, get the transmission modulator checked out. Alternatively, if everything is fine and you're finding that you're using kick-down a lot in city traffic, slot the car into D3 for the city runs, won't shift up to 4th, and you'll have constant power on tap.

EDIT — Congratulations on your buy! Wish you many happy miles.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 31st March 2014 at 17:41.
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 18:16   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
The fuel accumulator can give some trouble. Check out the cold start valve too, if it is leaking, it can cause problems during hot starts as well.

If it is overly lethargic and not shifting up on time or too early, get the transmission modulator checked out. Alternatively, if everything is fine and you're finding that you're using kick-down a lot in city traffic, slot the car into D3 for the city runs, won't shift up to 4th, and you'll have constant power on tap.

EDIT ó Congratulations on your buy! Wish you many happy miles.
Thanks. Will keep those tips in mind. Right now its purring well.
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 18:21   #19
BHPian
 
Viraat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 488
Thanked: 126 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
Thanks. Will keep those tips in mind. Right now its purring well.
I'll be glad to help out whenever I can. I have some (a lot) of experience with the K-Jetronic system your car has due to my 300E, and some experience with the Benz automatic transmissions of that era due to my automatic E250D.

In the mean while, check out the EZL setting in your car, if it is on N, use normal fuel, if you plan on using 93 or 97 octane, turn it up to S.
Viraat13 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 18:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

She's a beauty my friend.

Also quite rare because the cars that are imported in India are usually the lower power variants. Its always a treat to drive a small car with big engine.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 00:37   #21
BHPian
 
ayushagarwal26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 129
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Congratulations! That's one heck of a looker. And a 170hp 2.6l 6-cyl in a w201? That sounds FAST. And with robust old school merc underpinnings, she'll last you forever! I'm sure she's a hoot to drive... I wish I could come down to KA just to take a look
ayushagarwal26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:55   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Wonderful! I had seen this in the classifieds and shied away due to the LHD factor. Otherwise she is in the best condition.

I'm in the lookout for a 190D, and will come across 'the' one someday!
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:17   #23
BHPian
 
iceman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: vashi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Congratulations!! She is indeed a beauty. Look after her well and she will serve you for years to come.
iceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:09   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 51
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Please accept my congratulations for being brave enough to indulge in your dream machine.Owning an import in this country is an expensive affair ( I should know as I am getting my 1971 super beetle restored ).More over you were confidant enough to pick up the car without actually seeing it,speaks volumes about the kind of faith and trust the members of this forum share.Happy motoring.
Ramanjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:21   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
Thanks GTO! I went for this model mainly because
- It was then Mercedes answer to the 3 series (the E30's). So there is some strong history associated with it
- The W124 is a bit too big for my garage
- I was not interested in any diesel models
- The LHD increased the drool factor
- More importantly, The W124 the petrol variant that was available in India wasn't sufficiently powerful, for such a large body. the 190E 2.6 with its sikly smooth 6 cylinder engine can do 0-100 in 8.3 secs (manual), about a second more for the auto - and in a relatively light shell (kerb weight stands at 1200 kgs). She definitely handles way better than a W124.
Besides the biggest differentiating factor is the "Made in Germany" factor. Your car looks as supremely understated as stately Mercs (albeit the size) should look like.

Envious of you!! Have countless miles on it and dont part ways with it.

However, having driven both, a 2.6 US spec 6 cyl car vs a 2.5 4 cyl car (although a manual), I wont say much, but if you get a chance drive a 2.5-16 and rev it, you'll be floored. However nothing beats the low-mid-range of the 2.6 in-line-6 that this shared with the early W124's (in US).
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:33   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Besides the biggest differentiating factor is the "Made in Germany" factor. Your car looks as supremely understated as stately Mercs (albeit the size) should look like.

Envious of you!! Have countless miles on it and dont part ways with it.

However, having driven both, a 2.6 US spec 6 cyl car vs a 2.5 4 cyl car (although a manual), I wont say much, but if you get a chance drive a 2.5-16 and rev it, you'll be floored. However nothing beats the low-mid-range of the 2.6 in-line-6 that this shared with the early W124's (in US).
The Evo versions with the 2.5 were a hoot to drive - they were Mercedes' response to the BMW M cars then. Truly rare finds. Wish I could get my hands on one
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 15:54   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,359 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
The Evo versions with the 2.5 were a hoot to drive - they were Mercedes' response to the BMW M cars then. Truly rare finds. Wish I could get my hands on one
On the contrary, it was the non-evo once, with a simple 2.5-16 badging and everything else pretty much standard that was the real wolf in sheep clothing. The Evo though screamed high performance right from the way it looked!!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 20:16   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Some more snaps from the car. Am planning to take it out on a spin over the weekend to capture some nice images with a good landscape

1) Airbag Warning
2) The Engine Bay
3) The Auto-box
4) The Arm-chair
5) Cruise Control (25 years ago!)
6) The view that matters
7) The Center Console (note the after-market audio. The original Becker wasnt working and couldnt be repaired)
The woodwork on the center console has kept up well - it has retained the shine, unfortunately its not perfect. There are a few battle scars. I am trying to see if I can source some zebrano ones for that
Attached Thumbnails
My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020447tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020446tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020444tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020443tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020441tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020437tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020436tbhp.jpg  

My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE-p4020433tbhp.jpg  


Last edited by kdadi : 2nd April 2014 at 20:20. Reason: duplicate images
kdadi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:23   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
Some more snaps from the car. Am planning to take it out on a spin over the weekend to capture some nice images with a good landscape

1) Airbag Warning
2) The Engine Bay
3) The Auto-box
4) The Arm-chair
5) Cruise Control (25 years ago!)
6) The view that matters
7) The Center Console (note the after-market audio. The original Becker wasnt working and couldnt be repaired)
The woodwork on the center console has kept up well - it has retained the shine, unfortunately its not perfect. There are a few battle scars. I am trying to see if I can source some zebrano ones for that
Oops. I have a (0) item in there as well - the VIN of the car.
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 23:36   #30
BHPian
 
lemedico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Agra, Cambridge
Posts: 80
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: My original Baby Benz - 1989 Mercedes 190E 2.6 LE

consider me your half-brother as I too (my dad actually) have this glorious car in a royal shade of blue! We have had a 190E 1.8 petrol MT (RHD, family bought in the UK and then shipped to india after reverse migration) since 1992. Oh what a machine! Its a pleasure to see fellow bhpians sharing similar like for this model and it brings a sense of joy to my heart.
lemedico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Baby Benz - My Mercedes B-Class veedub89 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 89 17th October 2017 14:13
Merc 190E Stuff V-16 Modifications & Accessories 14 23rd August 2017 01:51
The Baby GL is here-Mercedes Benz GLK Leaked Photos merve_extreme The International Automotive Scene 28 24th February 2010 12:42
whats better than an original cj3b?? two original cj3b's. 0333 4x4 Vehicles 33 5th March 2009 11:15
Spotted : Mercedes 190E AMG v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 1 28th August 2004 20:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks