Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th August 2014, 18:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)

Have a look at Rust under Seat of less than 6 Month old Demo 7 Series , no clue why & how
Attached Thumbnails
My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-rust.jpg  

Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 10:49   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Have a look at Rust under Seat of less than 6 Month old Demo 7 Series , no clue why & how
Cant make out much from the picture but i understand what you mean. Its shocking to say the least and completely unacceptable.Going to check under my seats too!
iceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:38   #63
BHPian

I finally ordered a set of well overdue number plates for my car.Its coming upto nine months since i have had the car and have been thinking about changing them since day one. Infact, when i had seen the car for the first time, thats the first thing i had noticed that needs changing.I simply didnt like it with its chrome borders and stuff. But somehow never got around doing it. so one fine day last month, i simply went ahead and ordered them from Germanplates.com.The package took about 15 days to arrive as i had opted for regular shipping and didnt want to pay a premium for getting it quicker.And when the package did arrive, there was just one plate in there! It was a bit annoying as i had obviously expected a pair. I somehow thought that when i order one number plate, it would actually mean a pair not just a single plate. Who buys one i reasoned?But it did really mean one and no where on the order form did it mention a pair.To add to the injury, the stickers i had ordered were missing and the package was open when i received it.Obviously there is no way to tell how and when it was opened and if the stickers were in there in the first place. However Germanplates were kind enough to refund the money for the same.So I had to place a second order with them for one more plate which promptly arrived in about 12 days on the eve of my Birthday! What a coincidence! I got a birthday gift all the way from Germany

The package!!

My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-img_9774.jpg

My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-img_9775.jpg

Finally my car gets a Fresh set of plates!

Name:  IMG_0461.JPG
Views: 3213
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0462.JPG
Views: 3197
Size:  71.0 KB

This is how it looked like with the old plates.

Name:  IMG_0248.JPG
Views: 3273
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0250.JPG
Views: 3230
Size:  117.1 KB

The whole thing cost me about 6K which included the cost of a pair of Number plates, 2 frames ,screws and stickers. since the stickers were missing from the first pack, i will have to re order them once more.
iceman1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 11:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1 View Post
The whole thing cost me about 6K which included the cost of a pair of Number plates, 2 frames ,screws and stickers. since the stickers were missing from the first pack, i will have to re order them once more.
The fit and finish is good, but the fonts are not. Too narrow and not european at all. The older fonts looked good - sorry my opinion.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 16:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iceman1, don't take offence, they look worse than original ones. Or maybe because that style of plates are used by every car these days - in fact, in Bangalore, every car has that style of number plate. It doesn't suit the nice car and the VIP number. Just my opinion. If you like them, great! My local dealer does number-plate+acrylic-glass-top-sheet with thin long fonts. I like it.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 15:43   #66
BHPian

Well to be honest, this is not what i had expected when i had placed the order. I also feel the font is a bit narrow. But i can certainly live with it . The old plate had a nice font, however, i simply hated the chrome bordering it had which is not very visible in the pics.
Old 11th September 2014, 22:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well to be honest, this is not what i had expected when i had placed the order. I also feel the font is a bit narrow. But i can certainly live with it . The old plate had a nice font, however, i simply hated the chrome bordering it had which is not very visible in the pics.
Missed the chrome border ;-) In any case that special number definitely compensates for any shortcomings in the number place aesthetics!
Old 11th October 2014, 11:45   #68
BHPian

The arrival of monsoons highlighted an important aspect that was missing on the car- Mudflaps.My car did not have rear mudflaps.It had front mudflaps but none at the rear.Supposedly, thats how it comes from the showroom and the rear ones have to be purchased separately as an accessory.The rains started as always around the month of june and my car's rear was taking a heavy beating during my highway runs. By the time i reached my destination, the part of the car behind the rear wheel used to look really dirty which brought to my attention the absence of mudflaps on my car. Didnt think of it as a big deal as Mudflaps should be fairly easy to find.... or so i thought!

Ebay was full of fake chinese generic mudflaps which would fit multiple cars and not specifically made for my car. A quick hunt at Opera house didnt yield any result either.

Made some calls to the Authorised dealerships in mumbai and none of them had it in stock.Nor did they know how to order it.Or probably didnt care. I was given all sorts of stories about difficulties in placing an order for mudflaps and how the rear ones could not be ordered separately. In terms of pricing, i was given approximations ranging from 6k to 16k ! I then asked my friends in the middle east to look around for a set. But no luck as none of the dealers there had it in stock ( as it doesnt rain much in the gulf region) and would need to place an order from Germany.I had now begun to get nervous as i couldnt imagine myself driving the car in such a state.

I then decided to give the dealers in pune a try. My First call to BU Bhandari where the car was originally being serviced prior to me owning it.I was transferred to Mr kiran from the parts Dept and i was so happy that i was finally speaking to some one who actually was interested in solving the problem and knew exactly what he was talking about. He said the same thing that they too didnt have it in stock but he could order it for me from the Mercedes plant in Chakan and it should arrive in 3-4 days once the order is placed. Also gave me the exact cost..Rs 3900!

I immediately placed the order and the mudflaps promptly arrived in the promised time.A BIG BIG Thank you to Mr Kiran.I Finally have my Mud flaps!

My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-img_2069.jpg

My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-img_2070.jpg

My experience with a pre-owned Mercedes C220 CDI (W203)-img_2071.jpg
iceman1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 07:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I immediately placed the order and the mudflaps promptly arrived in the promised time.A BIG BIG Thank you to Mr Kiran.I Finally have my Mud flaps!
It is always great to read your happy endings :-) I was about to ask you if you were going to get them painted white but realized your front ones are already in black. I also have a white car but hesitant to put the mud flaps as I am not sure how the car will look with them. I am assuming you don't need to drill any holes to fix these things?
Old 14th October 2014, 11:10   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It is always great to read your happy endings :-) I was about to ask you if you were going to get them painted white but realized your front ones are already in black. I also have a white car but hesitant to put the mud flaps as I am not sure how the car will look with them. I am assuming you don't need to drill any holes to fix these things?
No drilling needed. Thats the reason i was looking out for mudflaps for my specific car rather then buy generic ones which would definitely need some drilling. Even i was a bit skeptical of putting on the mudflaps as i didnt know how they would look.But they were absolutely essential for me. And now that i have them on, i dont think they look that bad.Will post pics of the car soon. I personally dont like the look of white painted mudflaps and that would also involve removing and painting the front ones.

Talking about painting, i have been considering getting my door handles painted in white.But i am just not sure if i should and how to go about getting them painted.Removing the Door handles and painting them would involve a lot of work i suppose. Is there any quick and easy fix to this?
Old 14th October 2014, 13:31   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No drilling needed. Thats the reason i was looking out for mudflaps for my specific car rather then buy generic ones which would definitely need some drilling.
That is good to know. I might also try to get a set for myself and remove them if I don't like how they look on the car. I remember reading an old post on mbworld.org and they were not too kind to the suggestion of putting mud-flaps but they don't drive on Indian roads :-)

Quote:
Talking about painting, i have been considering getting my door handles painted in white.But i am just not sure if i should and how to go about getting them painted.Removing the Door handles and painting them would involve a lot of work i suppose. Is there any quick and easy fix to this?
Replacing the door handles should be fairly easy, it is the paint match and finish that might be hard. I generally dread repaint work, I have a very keen eye for paint color match and finish, etc. so I am never too eager to fix something that is not broken. Given your track record of getting things done, you might be able to pull it off. Alternatively you can buy the OEM matching color handles?
Old 14th October 2014, 15:35   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any quick and easy fix to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Alternatively you can buy the OEM matching color handles?
How about trying a wrap for the handles? Not too expensive and you can surely get it removed without damaging the paint.

And please post the pics of the mud flaps. My C is a complete mess after the rains today in Delhi. May consider them. Do they affect the GC in any way?

Thank you!
Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 16:19   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear iceman1 - hello to you. It is very interesting to read your thread and realize what a Mercedes Benz owner goes through if something goes wrong. One request, can you please PM me Mr.Raja's (of Weather Master) contact number? I know him since more than 30 years and I would like to say hello to him after a long time.

One thing I can say, if you are with Mr.Raja, you are in good hands!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 19:58   #74
BHPian

Congrats iceman for your new pristine looking Benz. I've always had a soft corner for those Jellybean headlamps. Awesome.
Those repair photos are really scary IMO, but love the look afterwards. I'm glad that you got yourself a true professional to work with. Thanks for posting your experience.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 11:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
How about trying a wrap for the handles? Not too expensive and you can surely get it removed without damaging the paint.

And please post the pics of the mud flaps. My C is a complete mess after the rains today in Delhi. May consider them. Do they affect the GC in any way?

Thank you!
Rohan

Thats a great idea RohanDheman! i will look around for someone who can do the wrap for the handles.Not really facing any GC issues due to the Mudflaps.Will post the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear iceman1 - hello to you. It is very interesting to read your thread and realize what a Mercedes Benz owner goes through if something goes wrong. One request, can you please PM me Mr.Raja's (of Weather Master) contact number? I know him since more than 30 years and I would like to say hello to him after a long time.

One thing I can say, if you are with Mr.Raja, you are in good hands!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHARBHAR BEHRAM Sir :Just sent you Mr. Raja's Number. He has indeed done a wonderful job.I am glad to have got my car fixed by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Congrats iceman for your new pristine looking Benz. I've always had a soft corner for those Jellybean headlamps. Awesome.
Those repair photos are really scary IMO, but love the look afterwards. I'm glad that you got yourself a true professional to work with. Thanks for posting your experience.
Thanks Pamiboy! Glad you like it.Its been an absolute pleasure to own and drive it for almost a year now.