Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 10:49   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would suggest to get the car inspected at a FNG in your presence and based on the findings, decide your next course of action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Chances are high that this is a radiator leak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hopefully only a hose getting damaged or a connector getting loose. Let us know.
Thanks you all. Taking the car to the FNG tomorrow to check the root cause. Will update on the reason and next steps soon.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:04   #332
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 878
Thanked: 978 Times
Default

Dieselgate fix is an option to the customer. You can very well deny it. I wouldn't recommend taking the car to an FNG as it might require a simple water pump replacement. If the part is available, it's a one day job and would be covered under extended warranty.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 13:19   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Dieselgate fix is an option to the customer. You can very well deny it. I wouldn't recommend taking the car to an FNG as it might require a simple water pump replacement. If the part is available, it's a one day job and would be covered under extended warranty.
Thanks Adi. You have a very valid point.

Dieselgate fix is optional and I can give it in writing not to implement it (I did that during the third service). But the way the workshop guys operate, even if I tell the SA not to do the fix and give it in writing, there is always a chance that the guy who is doing the service will get it hooked up to the system and somehow do the update. I guess someone had reported such an incident in the other thread on dieselgate recall. That is why I am a little paranoid

At the FNG (I know this place to do a very good job with German cars, and had the coilovers and brake discs fitted there for my GT), I am just planning to give it a look over to see if it is something very simple like a lose hose clip. Anything more than that, I will take it to the workshop
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:43   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Took the car to the FNG today. They just opened the engine cover and the timing belt cover and told me it was a leaking water pump, and as I have extended warranty, to get it replaced at VW.

Took the car to VW workshop and the SA said it will be mostly a failed water pump, and if the timing belt had soaked up due to the leaking pump, they will change that as well, under extended warranty. I may have to bear the cost of the coolant and consumables if any.

The SA also said it will take a couple of days to finish the warranty process and the car will be available only on Monday or Tuesday.

On request, they also clearly added a line in the job card about not to do dieselgate software update, took my signature and marked it with a highlighting pen so that the service person will not miss it.

Guess things should work out fine. Fingers crossed!
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:06   #335
BHPian
 
csr9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 79
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Took the car to the FNG today. They just opened the engine cover and the timing belt cover and told me it was a leaking water pump, and as I have extended warranty, to get it replaced at VW.

Took the car to VW workshop and the SA said it will be mostly a failed water pump, and if the timing belt had soaked up due to the leaking pump, they will change that as well, under extended warranty. I may have to bear the cost of the coolant and consumables if any
Had to change the water pump on my Superb due to a minor leak. However this was found when the car went in for timing belt replacement (at 60000 km). Costed me 5300 for the pump and a labour of 3000 for the coolant pump replacement + coolant fill. The ASS waived off the timing kit labour charges .

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home-img_6587.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home-img_6586.jpg
Part Number: 03L121011P

Your vehicle's water pump seems to have developed a major leak. Very likely that they will replace the timing kit.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 13:11   #336
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Could not update the thread due to lot of work related travel.

Got the car back on Wednesday, the 26th July. The water pump and the timing belt were replaced under warranty. I had to pay 1.7K for the coolant as it was considered consumable and was not covered under warranty.

The SA had promised to deliver the car on Tuesday, the 25th July. However, due to some delay in getting warranty approval for the timing kit, it was delayed by another day.

Though there was a day's delay, I am extremely happy with the way the warranty claim was processed and the car was delivered.

PS: Post water pump change, I had a chance to take the car for a long drive to Mysore. I feel that the engine noise has increased a little, but this could be due to change of timing belt. I am a little apprehensive that the engine noise could be because they have made the notorious dieselgate software update in spite of me giving in writing that I don't want it. But the car was quite responsive during some stretches of spirited drive. Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 13:44   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
Why don't you time the car or check with Perfexpert dyno app?
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 13:46   #338
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Why don't you time the car or check with Perfexpert dyno app?
Yes. I could do PerfExpert. But with the lots of variables involved, and the way VW has only changed the torque delivery, I doubt if I would get a conclusive result
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 13:48   #339
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,838
Thanked: 5,118 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. I could do PerfExpert. But with the lots of variables involved, and the way VW has only changed the torque delivery, I doubt if I would get a conclusive result
Yes, I agree. Anyways you could give it a try and compare it with your previous graph. The peak figures would be same but not the graph if diesel gate software update is done.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 14:05   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

I should also mention a scary experience. Last weekend, while driving to Mysore, in the forest road between Hassanur and Chamrajnagar, in one of the curves, I made a mistake in judgement and understeered the car a little. And exactly in that curve, there was absolutely no shoulder due to erosion in recent rains, and the left wheel went off the road. I braked and hard steered to the right and as the car climbed back on the road, and I had this feeling that I was going to loose control of the car. But not the Jetta. It had its own plans. I could feel the ABS kick in and the ESP take over. I could feel the front brakes getting applied selectively, and the car literally straightend up and stopped without breaking sweat. I then had to just apply throttle and the car was on its way as if nothing had happened. All this happened within a matter of 2 to 3 seconds, and during this time, I could see the terror in the face of a passenger on an Innova which was a little ahead coming on the opposite direction.

A very close friend who was on the passenger seat later commented that the situation could have escalated into a very serious event (read a crash and airbag deployment) in most other cars. He was just speechless how the Jetta got back into control. Though this car had me stranded twice (once during battery failure and other during water pump failure), it redeemed itself totally in this one incident. I am never going back to a car without these safety features again, reliability and peace of ownership be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, I agree. Anyways you could give it a try and compare it with your previous graph. The peak figures would be same but not the graph if diesel gate software update is done.
Sure. Let me do some tests using PerfExpert when I get some time.

Last edited by graaja : 15th August 2017 at 14:07.
graaja is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 00:36   #341
BHPian
 
rageshgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai/Vaikom
Posts: 396
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
C.

PS: Post water pump change, I had a chance to take the car for a long drive to Mysore. I feel that the engine noise has increased a little, but this could be due to change of timing belt. I am a little apprehensive that the engine noise could be because they have made the notorious dieselgate software update in spite of me giving in writing that I don't want it. But the car was quite responsive during some stretches of spirited drive. Maybe I am just paranoid! With the lack of any sure way to tell if a software update was done, only God and VW know!
Hi, for VW diesel clatter, there is injector deviation service step that they need to do which can be done with VCDS. Especially if they did dieselgate fix. At least for 1.5

May be applicable for 2.0 too. Ask them if they can do an adaptation for injector minimum deviation quantity.
Courtesy : internet

Last edited by rageshgr : 17th August 2017 at 00:38.
rageshgr is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 11:35   #342
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Battery Change:

The battery gave up on 1st of January. I had gone with family to a friend's farm near Anaikatty, which is located a little away from regular roads. On the 1st of January, when we were about to return back the car would not start....

...got it replaced with Amaron Pro. Comes with a 60 month warranty (36 mnths replacement and 24 months pro-rated). Paid 8.4K including the exchange of the defective battery.

Hi Graaja,

My car's battery conked off yesterday, it showed the exact same symptoms and it happened all of a sudden. The car was started via jump start.

As per VW, I won't get warranty coverage on this as my primary warranty is over and extended warranty does not cover battery replacements.

My question pertains to your Amaron battery, why did you go for 74AH when your warranty replacement battery was 61AH and the stock battery was 60AH?

Thanks,
Maglev
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2017, 12:01   #343
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 2,563 Times
Default Re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Graaja,

My car's battery conked off yesterday, it showed the exact same symptoms and it happened all of a sudden. The car was started via jump start.

As per VW, I won't get warranty coverage on this as my primary warranty is over and extended warranty does not cover battery replacements.

My question pertains to your Amaron battery, why did you go for 74AH when your warranty replacement battery was 61AH and the stock battery was 60AH?

Thanks,
Maglev
The 74AH battery that I got had 60 months warranty compared to the 48 months warranty on the 60AH battery. As I take the Jetta out only on long drives, and as it lies idle for weeks together, I wanted to get a bigger battery that could last longer and also would be covered by a longer warranty.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home iliketurtles Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 408 26th September 2017 14:40
Silver VW Jetta DSG Highline 2.0 TDI - Latest addition to our family abhilashgp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 25th August 2016 19:41
2014 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG finds a new home aseem Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 78 30th May 2016 20:19
VW Vento Highline TDI comes home !! Ricky_63 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 153 8th April 2014 20:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks