Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 21:31   #91
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
That Blue is lip-smackingly delicious to look at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations Amarendranath! welcome to the Jetta club!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Fantastic ownership thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Did you try increasing the sensitivity of the rain-sensor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
the scratches that occur


Guys! Need a small help from you all. Need a quick reply and hence quoting previous posts, hope you don't mind.

Used the wipers for the first time today, i mean to say for a very long duration, the wipers seem to be shuddering a lot. Specially the driver side wiper. The Rain Sensor ( Oh Ya, they work!) is set onto level two, has anyone faced the same issue? The wipers cannot be faulty as the car is just three months old. The wind sheild has a sealant on it, so i doubt if it can be because of any contaminants. Can this be because of the dust ? I seriously doubt it as the rain would easily wash away the dust or any other particles that might have been deposited on the wind shield. Also wiper marks are being left by the passenger side wiper blade. I remember the wipers operation being butter smooth and absolutely silent.

I was almost convinced that the sound and shudder was because of the coating, but when i started to Google the similar issue was being discussed on a few forums discussing this issue. My only concern is that the wind shield might get rasped.

Even on the dry glass when I accidentally start the wipers ( while getting used to the opposite direction of the indicator stalk) absolutely no sound. Even the dust particles were wiped off in utter silence. I was all smiles for such buttery operation. Never faced this issue on the XUV or Santro and both of these cars never had any sort of protection on them. Just getting bugged to drive with that shuddering noise.

The iphone says thunderstorm tomorrow and i cannot drive ( leaving to native) all the way listening to that shudder. Can someone suggest a DIY to the situation or can this be corrected only at the workshop? I request you to let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 7th July 2014 at 21:48.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 21:54   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,306
Thanked: 2,573 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post

Guys! Need a small help from you all. Need a quick reply and hence quoting previous posts, hope you don't mind.

Used the wipers for the first time today, i mean to say for a very long duration, the wipers seem to be shuddering a lot. Specially the driver side wiper. The Rain Sensor ( Oh Ya, they work!) is set onto level two, has anyone faced the same issue? The wipers cannot be faulty as the car is just three months old. The wind sheild has a sealant on it, so i doubt if it can be because of any contaminants. Can this be because of the dust ? I seriously doubt it as the rain would easily wash away the dust or any other particles that might have been deposited on the wind shield. Also wiper marks are being left by the passenger side wiper blade. I remember the wipers operation being butter smooth and absolutely silent.

I was almost convinced that the sound and shudder was because of the coating, but when i started to Google the similar issue was being discussed on a few forums discussing this issue. My only concern is that the wind shield might get rasped.
Do you use a wash+wax solution for washing the car? If yes, the layer of wax formed on the glass could be causing this. I had a similar problem, but not the shudder. In my case, the wiper would not cleanly wipe the water. Instead there will be a thin layer of water. When I stopped using the wash and wax solution (after applying collinite 845), the problem went away.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:03   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,883
Thanked: 9,724 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Used the wipers for the first time today, i mean to say for a very long duration, the wipers seem to be shuddering a lot.
Amar, when I drove the Polo out of the showroom, I experienced a slight judder when it rained. Then it went off after some time.

Have you applied anything (wax, Rain-X or any other solution) on the windshield? Do they judder in both the directions or while sweeping down? Since the car is new, I wouldn't think that the blades are hard or brittle.

Since you have the Elastrofoam block, could you try rubbing it on the windshield along with a lube, use the wipers and report back?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:03   #94
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Do you use a wash+wax solution for washing the car? If yes, the layer of wax formed on the glass could be causing this. I had a similar problem, but not the shudder. In my case, the wiper would not cleanly wipe the water. Instead there will be a thin layer of water. When I stopped using the wash and wax solution (after applying collinite 845), the problem went away.


I use a wash and wax solution. But the car has not need washed for 15days now. And the last wash was at 3M and I guess they use Meguiar's gold class shampoo and it's not a wash and wax solution. Only a sealant on the shield. Will try wiping the blades with tissue and IPA
( Isopropyl alcohol ) solution. Hope that works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Amar, when I drove the Polo out of the showroom, I experienced a slight judder when it rained. Then it went off after some time.
Oh! May be with use this may not occur. But horrible sound isn't it? And you sure that nothing was done to avoid the sound. ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Have you applied anything (wax, Rain-X or any other solution) on the windshield? Do they judder in both the directions or while sweeping down? Since the car is new, I wouldn't think that the blades are hard or brittle.
Though i have no doubts about either the quality or the durability of the wipers, i just cant bare the noise. Ya the shield has Scholl's Neo and topped with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Since you have the Elastrofoam block, could you try rubbing it on the windshield along with a lube, use the wipers and report back?
I'm leaving tomorrow morning gannu and one of arm is not good. Ill either manage or ask the Watchman to do it. Or at least once i reach the place i shall try.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 7th July 2014 at 22:10.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:48   #95
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,883
Thanked: 9,724 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
But horrible sound isn't it?
Yep not the kind of noise you would want to hear, not the least with a car delivered few hours back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
And you sure that nothing was done to avoid the sound. ?
I called my sales manager after parking the car in the apartment. He advised me to hold on for a bit longer (being a new car) and recheck if it occurs. It never did!

I replaced the stock wiper with the frameless Hella Dynaedges recently. Works much better than the stock ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Ya the shield has Scholl's Neo and topped with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.
This could be the reason why they are juddering. Remove the wax with the Elastrofoam bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I'm leaving tomorrow morning gannu and one of arm is not good. Ill either manage or ask the Watchman to do it. Or at least once i reach the place i shall try.
No hurries! But do check before calling up your SA. Put the wipers in the service mode and leave so the watchman can do it for you. Instruct him to be gentle with it. I am sure he knows. Do post back the results.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 08:28   #96
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
The wipers cannot be faulty as the car is just three months old. The wind sheild has a sealant on it, so i doubt if it can be because of any contaminants. Can this be because of the dust ? I seriously doubt it as the rain would easily wash away the dust or any other particles that might have been deposited on the wind shield. Also wiper marks are being left by the passenger side wiper blade. I remember the wipers operation being butter smooth and absolutely silent.
I feel that the shudder while operation could be:

1) Dust on the windshield or

2) Issue with the wiper arm and blade. Though the car is new this is not possible but just check it.

Wash the windscreen throughly and clean using a newspaper. See if the shudder repeats. It is that there is something on the windshield that is not letting the wipers to sweep freely, hence shudder.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th July 2014 at 08:30.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 15:54   #97
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Yep not the kind of noise you would want to hear, not the least with a car delivered few hours back! I replaced the stock wiper with the frameless Hella Dynaedges recently. Works much better than the stock ones.This could be the reason why they are juddering. Remove the wax with the Elastrofoam bar.
I can imagine i will either get those Hella blades or do a clay/IPA wipe and check. Like mentioned if the blades are not able to latch onto the windscreen then a better option would be to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) Dust on the windshield or

2) Issue with the wiper arm and blade. Though the car is new this is not possible but just check it.

Wash the windscreen throughly and clean using a newspaper. See if the shudder repeats. It is that there is something on the windshield that is not letting the wipers to sweep freely, hence shudder.

Anurag.
I checked the blades and nothing under them. Or may be there were particles of dust already when the rain started. I notice a thin film of dust that got glued onto the wind sheild in the direction of the wiper action. So shall do the necessary and check.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 15:58   #98
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
So shall do the necessary and check.
Use the pressure washer. Will you?!

That should clear the dirt and doubt too. How often do you wipe the blades?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 22:53   #99
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Use the pressure washer. Will you?!
That should clear the dirt and doubt too. How often do you wipe the blades?

The dirt's glued onto the wind shield so I don't think washer might remove it. Moreover waiting for those hose adapters and the shipment is taking forever to reach me!

I never wiped the wiper blades till date, never gave it a thought. May be a regular maintenance of the blades is necessary in the monsoons. You know how well the car is pampered, wondering what must have caused this. To avoid this often I'm definitely getting those 'Hella' blades

Last edited by Amarendranath : 8th July 2014 at 22:58.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 14:29   #100
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!


Haven't tried anything yet on the windshield, couldn't find time. Luckily never rained after that incident. Shall look into it soon. Came across these today and ordered a set in black. Two of the stem caps are already missing so these would be both appealing and helpful. Also in search for a black chrome plated exhaust tip. Any suggestion on what would suit the blue color? Stainless steel or Black?

While ordering these got a call from Kishore (SE) regarding some outing that VW had planned. Giving it a miss as we cannot attend it. Lunch and etc at Leonia resorts, Hyderabad. Starts at 10am on 13th July. Open for VW customers, i guess only by invitation. I hope VW would put in such extraneous efforts in improving their service as well.

Name:  Stem.png
Views: 1058
Size:  504.2 KB

Name:  stem1.png
Views: 1063
Size:  468.6 KB

Last edited by Amarendranath : 12th July 2014 at 14:32.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 14:50   #101
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,883
Thanked: 9,724 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Be careful about these valve stem caps Amar. They are known to get stuck and wouldn't come off. I read some bad reviews about these on Amazon and elsewhere. Apply some grease on the threading of the valve before screwing these in. And be wary of miscreants who flick these when you park your car out in the open.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 00:51   #102
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Tempest blue metallic VW Jetta DSG has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Be careful about these valve stem caps Amar. They are known to get stuck and wouldn't come off. I read some bad reviews about these on Amazon and elsewhere. Apply some grease on the threading of the valve before screwing these in. And be wary of miscreants who flick these when you park your car out in the open.
Thanks for the heads up buddy!

My Santro has the cheapest stem caps available on earth and they never gave an issue. Shall be carefull with these and apply grease as well. I know, parking in car in isolation would be an issue. I just couldn't resist myself from ordering those.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 01:21   #103
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Came across these today and ordered a set in black. Two of the stem caps are already missing so these
Do these come with a spanner too? I have seen links on Ebay selling a spanner with this.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th July 2014 at 01:32.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 09:04   #104
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do these come with a spanner too? I have seen links on Ebay selling a spanner with this.

There were three models.

1. The normal spanner type, they looked a bit gaudy.

2. The L shaped spanner where the stem capped has to fitted and then screwed/fastened using the spanner. This model would be a head ache when filling air once a month

3. The one above, just fasten it and hopefully it would sit properly.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 00:43   #105
BHPian
 
Amarendranath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 498
Thanked: 407 Times
Default

On a gloomy note. The roads in and out to our colony were completely drained out. Few of the man holes have been opened to let the water seep in. Few big boulders have been placed to warn the bikers.

A while ago, dad( alone in the car) was passing by the same pathetic road. He didn't notice the boulders that were placed and drove over them, the music was pretty loud I believe and the car came to a halt( got stuck on the boulder). My father has to say that he couldn't hear any scraping noise and realized only after the car has come to a halt. The damage is pretty bad. My heart sunk into my knees on seeing this. This happened when he was 2min away from home.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1406488048.722085.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  119.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1406488061.871419.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  120.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1406488089.554741.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  113.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1406488102.189572.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  256.6 KB

Called up the Manager, he asked me to leave and car with him and he would take care of everything. So can this be fixed?

But how will the dent be removed I'm not sure. The interior flooring etc has to detached or how it is done no idea. I wanted to leave the scar on the door and dad wouldn't listen. Getting the foot board fixed on insurance

Guys from Hyderabad, I'm really disappointed by the body shop workers at Gachibowli can anyone comment on the workmanship at Kompally?

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th July 2014 at 00:49.
Amarendranath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Renault Scala - Metallic Blue - RXz Dci fesar79 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 2nd June 2013 12:59
What Color in swift VDi?Metallic Sunlight Copper or Pearl Metallic Arctic White. Poll SumitBahl Hatchbacks 54 4th May 2009 14:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks