Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th June 2014, 18:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi
Congrats on your new red hot car. Wish you years of enjoyable motoring on your Punto. Has the higher GC imacted any of its handling characteristics. I had a td of new Linea and really liked the car. The car was not slow like Lineas I had driven few years back. Fiat has done some tweaking to the car, I believe. In Punto too, Fiat might have done the same thing.

You have first hand experience of three wonderful driver's car , Punto, Rapid & Figo. How much mark would you give them out of a max of 10 in the area of handling on highways, ride quality & NVH.
I haven't pushed the car to its limits yet Chitra Pradhan! But it rolls a tad higher than the Figo. Some owners have reported that the higher GC has increased the roll. But I feel it's not too great to be a cause of concern!

I keep my tyres 2 psi lesser than recommended and I feel home!

Well I'd compare them with them referencing each cars strong point

Ride Quality :
Punto - 10
Rapid - 7
Figo - 5

No competition here at all. Figo is a bit stiffly sprung so it's harsh.

Handling on Highway :
Punto : 8
Rapid : 7
Figo : 9

Note : it gets pretty uncomfortable in Figo at high speeds and Figo cannot attain speeds which Rapid can. Rapid can take corners decently but it tends to get a little unsettling past 120. Just hurting the comfort a bit. So the comparison made on the basis of how each car felt at 110kmph.
Haven't pushed the Punto much. So can't rate it above Figo for now.

NVH :
Punto : 9
Rapid : 8
Figo : 6

This again could be biased for Rapid as it runs on cpc2 and others on regular Acceleres.
icyspikey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 20:04   #17
BHPian

Default Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post

I keep my tyres 2 psi lesser than recommended and I feel home!

Well I'd compare them with them referencing each cars strong point

Ride Quality :
Punto - 10
Rapid - 7
Figo - 5

No competition here at all.

This again could be biased for Rapid as it runs on cpc2 and others on regular Acceleres.
From your comaparo, it seems Punto to be a compelling buy. Only if Fiat eradicates the ergonomics flaws & tune the MJD like a Maruti.....
Chitta Pradhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 20:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
From your comaparo, it seems Punto to be a compelling buy. Only if Fiat eradicates the ergonomics flaws & tune the MJD like a Maruti.....
Yes I hope the same! They need a host of other things to come up. Not everyone will be willing to take the risk. I myself took the risk because I RDC was highly competent and the quote was killer VFM.
icyspikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 09:05   #19
BHPian

Default Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90 !

Quote:
16) With 15" alloys too , the increased GC makes it an eyesore. Love the fact that 195 sections are stock.
17) It's ok if the spare was a steel wheel of the same size . But 14" steel ?
Congrats on your new car.

I guess the 14 inch steel wheels are those from the Active/Dynamic variants.

FIAT did not probably want to invest in new dies.

So is the spare wheel 195 or 165?

Happy motoring

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 09:16   #20
BHPian

Default Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Congrats on your new car.

FIAT did not probably want to invest in new dies.

So is the spare wheel 195 or 165?

Regards,
BL
They are 165 sections ( JK Tornado ) . A straight lift from the lower variants !
icyspikey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 10:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90!

Quote:
Noooo. We dont want Fiat to do any changes to the engine tuning. Punto has been tuned to be an enthusiasts ride. If one want economy then can surely hope to Maruti showroom.

Quote:
They are 165 sections ( JK Tornado ) . A straight lift from the lower variants !
I doubt if the 15" 195 tyre would fit in the spare wheel well, hence the lower tyre size given. I recently tried fitting in the 15" alloy in the well and it was a too snug fit, removing out will be a headache.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 11:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Noooo. We dont want Fiat to do any changes to the engine tuning. Punto has been tuned to be an enthusiasts ride. If one want economy then can surely hope to Maruti showroom.
By tuning, I did not mean FE. I had a td of 90 hp Punto 3 yrs back. Off the starting line, it was too slow & thus was too irritating for me. 75 hp Swift was way better in this regard. In spite of higher weight of Punto, the car should not be that slow off the start.

Do not know if Fiat has worked on this & make its own engine perform better. Last TD of new Linea around two months back made me to believe that yes, Fiat has done something to make the car pull better till 100 kmph, the max speed I could manage. Hope same has trickled down to Punto 90 too.
Chitta Pradhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 12:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I doubt if the 15" 195 tyre would fit in the spare wheel well, hence the lower tyre size given. I recently tried fitting in the 15" alloy in the well and it was a too snug fit, removing out will be a headache.
Actually the two tire+wheel combination has the same diagonal dimension ( 4.5 mm difference)

195/60 R15 = (19.5 * 0.6 * 2) + 38.1 = 61.5 cm

165/80 R14 = (16.5 * 0.8 * 2) + 35.56 = 61.95 cm

I guess its the shoulder profile of the wider tire that is at fault here.

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 15:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse we want Fiat to tune it better! It is pretty shameful for a 75hp car to take on a 90hp of the same engine and beat it too! Punto's MJD has been tuned to an enthusiast's taste? How so?
Old 13th June 2014, 19:36   #25
BHPian

Default 5000KMS - First Service

The car was given for the first service on May 30th 2014 .

Issues Reported :
The severe right pulling issue
Suspension noise from the right

After some alignments,tyre swapping,suspension swapping,changing A arms and ball joints the A.S.S concluded that the steering rack is to be changed. Extensive TDs were done and the car had covered close to 180KMS in the A.S.S itself by a single mechanic ! My S.A after alot of pursuation convinced FIAT to send them a new rack and this task was helped,sped up with the help of FIATians !

Diagnosis took a week and the part arrival took another week ! My A.S.S is competent but slow. The car was delivered on June 11 2014. Did a TD with the mechanic and the car is running fine. Will do a thorough TD on highway and update here !
icyspikey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:46   #26
BANNED

Very well written, thank you for bringing a fresh perspective to the hatchback discussions.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:15   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on the Punto and a refreshing opinion of it. In-fact, I would have had the Punto on my list of cars to check-out if I had read your review earlier. I actually like the Punto for all the +ves that you have listed, but it was to be a joint decision between my wife and me. And she would have none of the poor ergonomics and quality issues inside the cabin.

Happy driving and enjoy the car
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 14:33   #28
BHPian

Talking Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90!

Disclaimer:

The trailing text is just myself penning down experiences/opinions. The last thing I'd want is this thread turning out into a another FIAT bloodbath. Although enlightening comments from fellow enthusiasts are always welcome !

Update 15K & 30K !

Life has truly been busy for a year. From graduating to landing up a job.From Pocket money to Salary. From designing BAJA Brake systems to a career in the same field ! From my 14kms run everyday it has jumped up to ~75kms. Soon to hit ~100kms. I feel that I'm better capable now to give a holistic view on the car.

Worth a Mention :Drive Clean's detailing still has some sheen left even now !! Amazing Work.

New Parts

So,Post the Steering Rack Change,A.S.S informed me that FIAT claims the supposedly defective part was actually OK.But somehow post the alignment there was no pulling issues and All was Well.

A Picture shared by a FIATian who had checked up on my car :
Name:  9198415066991401780626.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  38.6 KB

The Car had developed some Suspension Noise and the suspension elastic pad was replaced twice.Now the car is absolutely silent. The last 15K kms she has been put through alot and she is absolutely rattle/squeak free. I'm surprised that the Boot Parcel tray threads have snapped already though since i used to carry heavy stuff on the Figo's parcel tray and it held up for 4 years beautifully.

New Rubber

On an unfortunate night , I Hit a deep rut and the front alloy got chipped, tyre got slashed on the sidewall. Another tyre suddenly burst while driving at 40Kmph.(This was post a high speed run to Trivandrum from Chennai .May I add without Breaks?).Got the front acceleres swapped with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Steering feels noticeably better right now and the grip levels are way above the acceleres. They seem to be better gripping than the Hankook ME02 that I've got on the Innova. A VFM Performance tyre ? YES !Goes without saying that there's a crazy amount of noise

A New Outlook

So my job requires me to drive quite a bit and I've really started to appreciate the car since then.I feel that there are a lot of keyboard warriors on the forums these days which cause a massive false-image of a car.Any Car.Not just Fiats.Anyway Let me not digress,I honestly think that there is no competition when it comes to ride quality.I happily fly over undulations at 80kmph while the Koreans & Japs have to slow down or give their drivers a back-ache.It's just a tad lower than our Jetta's comfort levels.I think in comparison my 2010 Figo had much more flickability but with less overall control.With Punto there is bodyroll on quick lane changes but one feels complete control at all times .I'm curious if the abarth suspension setup would be a direct fit.The brakes too do a stupendous job at panic scenarios but wears out very quickly.I probably have a very few mm at 30k now.I think it'd bode well here to mention that i was quite surprised with the way Liva drove on highways.No issues at all when driven sanely,quite the definition of neutral handling.The initial qualms i had about the gearbox is no more.It's not at all an issue like how it's touted to be.Sure there are better ones around, but someone shouldn't take this as a deal-breaker if considering the newly launched Abarth. But what does cause some discomfort is the inability to do unplanned overtaking manoeuvres. For someone who drives the car for the first time they'd require precise planning & judgement since almost all the shifts unless exactly shifted at certain points will just put you smack in the dead-zone. Add this to the speed masking ability, you would think the car is just slow all the time. But the car does get going quite well post 2.4k RPM and a nice wave of torque remains till ~4k rpm.This took quite alot of kms for me to get it perfectly right. Since then I'm okay.(Itching for a remap ) Do i miss my old Rapid TDI? Maybe at times. But what's speed without being able to maintain the momentum. Rapid would be all over the place at speeds over 70kmph in the roads I wouldn't be really worried about speed in Punto. So Practical usage? Look no further. I'm assuming Polo is similar to Rapid in suspension geometry here.I have driven the i20 & Elite and I don't think it could be a comfortable daily driver for me.Driver Fatigue is quite a concern when its a 100Kms and the route isn't really highways completely.The ergonomics cause some minor discomforts,especially the lack of telescopic functionality in the steering,But I have gotten used to it.

A Parting Shot :
From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90!-imag0007.jpg

There is a itch deep down for a F-A-S-T petrol GTX / S10 now.I know i cannot support both Punto's mods and a rebuild.Decisions.Decisions..

Will update here post the 30k service due in the upcoming week.

Last edited by icyspikey : 30th October 2015 at 14:39.
icyspikey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 17:28   #29
BHPian

Post Re: From a chipped Figo to a Punto 90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Very well written, thank you for bringing a fresh perspective to the hatchback discussions.
Ha! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congratulations on the Punto and a refreshing opinion of it. In-fact, I would have had the Punto on my list of cars to check-out if I had read your review earlier. I actually like the Punto for all the +ves that you have listed, but it was to be a joint decision between my wife and me. And she would have none of the poor ergonomics and quality issues inside the cabin.

Happy driving and enjoy the car
If you go back to the beginning of the thread, I would've mentioned that boot space and rear bench weren't even a point of consideration for me.Hence it made things very easy.But if at all they were,I'd still go for it for the +ves.Quality issues inside the cabin? The lower half plastic is an eyesore . That being said i don't think the interiors are bad at all. Yes the steering box has a misalignment behind the stalks but that didn't matter to me either. Dash plastics looked better than Rapid's.Curious to know what you ended up with.Anyway Happy mile crunching whatever the car may be