Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th November 2016, 06:40   #166
BHPian

Default Re: My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review

I bought the 1.8 G AT (not the top automatic, but 2 lakhs cheaper) a year ago and have driven about 5000 km since then. The driving experience with the automatic had been superb - there is no sluggishness and I routinely get a mileage of 10.5 km / litre with the AC on. Go for the automatic - you won't regret the decision.
tarunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 07:13   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
We were debating between the petrol: 1.8GL (top model manual) and 1.8 VL (top model automatic). Could anyone please comment on the performance of the manual vs Automatic.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a used petrol Altis a week back. It's a top end manual. It would be too early for me to comment on its performance, leave alone its comparison with an automatic. But I'd suggest that you go for a manual, for, from what I know, the manual's fuel economy is substantially greater than the automatic.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 20:53   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunp View Post
I bought the 1.8 G AT (not the top automatic, but 2 lakhs cheaper) a year ago and have driven about 5000 km since then. The driving experience with the automatic had been superb - there is no sluggishness and I routinely get a mileage of 10.5 km / litre with the AC on. Go for the automatic - you won't regret the decision.
Thanks for your response. I've always heard good things about the automatic. The top end VL model has a waiting period, so we were leaning a little towards GL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I bought a used petrol Altis a week back. It's a top end manual. It would be too early for me to comment on its performance, leave alone its comparison with an automatic. But I'd suggest that you go for a manual, for, from what I know, the manual's fuel economy is substantially greater than the automatic.
Thanks for the feedback. That does make sense, since the manual usually has higher fuel efficiency than automatic on Indian roads given the driving conditions.

We are most likely going to get the GL manual model, since there is no waiting for it.

Please do update on your experience with the manual variant. Most of the reviews here seem to have been for the automatic.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2016, 07:47   #169
BHPian

I am looking to buy a new petrol automatic top end (VL) Corolla Altis. I live in Bangalore.

What should the on-road price I should negotiate for (dealer's price sheet says 23.5L)?

I would like to negotiate hard, citing availability of the cheaper Elantra and the slightly more expensive Tucson, both of which have been launched now.

Pls let me know what is the on-road price I should negotiate towards after all discounts, for the Corolla petrol VL variant (petrol, automatic, top end) in Bangalore.

Also, *realistically* speaking (not ARAI test conditions), how much FE does the Corolla VL actually give on city and highway (petrol automatic)?

OT:
I would have gone for the cheaper Elantra, but for the fact that Elantra has a needlessly bigger engine for my liking and therefore will likely entail worse FE, and also has a worse GC/WB (ground clearance/wheel base) thereby more susceptible to scrapes.

The Tucson is beyond my budget.
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
Hello fellow TBHPians. This is my first post, so kindly condone any mistakes. Feedback from mods and members is very welcome. ...
I am considering the Toyota Corolla petrol, either the top end automatic (VL AT), or a manual if it comes with cruise control when the next facelift comes in H1 2017.

I TD'ed the 2016 VL AT variant last week.

Question for the present model: Isn't the driver's right armrest (the one on the door) a bit too low? I had to almost lean on it for it to be of use. And the left armrest not being slideable, is a real bummer. It kind of renders the armrest useless, if youre used to resting your left arm there and touching the gear lever all the time (even though on an AT you wouldnt need to, but still)
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 20:56   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I am looking to buy a new petrol automatic top end (VL) Corolla Altis. I live in Bangalore.

Also, *realistically* speaking (not ARAI test conditions), how much FE does the Corolla VL actually give on city and highway (petrol automatic)?
As my use is only within the city, I can give the following figures for city use. In summers, it's around 9.5 kmpl. In winters, it climbs up to about 10 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I am considering the Toyota Corolla petrol, either the top end automatic (VL AT), or a manual if it comes with cruise control when the next facelift comes in H1 2017.

I TD'ed the 2016 VL AT variant last week.

Question for the present model: Isn't the driver's right armrest (the one on the door) a bit too low? I had to almost lean on it for it to be of use. And the left armrest not being slideable, is a real bummer. It kind of renders the armrest useless, if youre used to resting your left arm there and touching the gear lever all the time (even though on an AT you wouldnt need to, but still)
Manual with cruise control? Never heard of that combo..

I'm a big proponent of Automatics. There's a small drop in FE, but the benefits far outweigh this loss. Would advise you and anyone else to go for Automatic versions. If budget allows, of course.

You're completely right about the armrests. They don't serve their purpose very well because of unergonomic placement.
Severus is online now   Reply With Quote