Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th October 2014, 21:50   #106
BHPian

Default Re: My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
A brilliant and detailed review , the rude behavior of the SA is quite surprising (it seems as if they are scared that we will run away with there money!!).
Yeah, they were scared we might run away with the car without paying the money.

Anyway, I'm long past that small incident, and enjoying the car now. It's been a good decision.

Last edited by Severus : 15th October 2014 at 21:54.
Severus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 20:18   #107
BHPian

Hey, how is your car doing? Recently I have been hearing that the new Corolla has AC issues. Is that right? Have you had any problem with your car's AC so far?
Carpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 17:05   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Hey, how is your car doing? Recently I have been hearing that the new Corolla has AC issues. Is that right? Have you had any problem with your car's AC so far?
Car's doing great. I haven't faced any problems with the A/C till date.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:32   #109
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Nice to read till the end. Can anyone comment how does the Altis fare when compared with the Sonata? Thanks.

Last edited by pamiboy : 25th November 2014 at 09:33.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 00:54   #110
BHPian

Excellent thread. Thorough, detailed & informative introduction and comprehensive (or painstaking) replies to all sorts of queries. Loved every page Severus.

A poser for you...there are rumors of an eminent upgrade to the Elantra which will add a Sunroof and a touchscreen ICE - would you have chosen the Elantra now over the Altis?

I am down to these two cars - Corolla vs Elantra (2015)...but the T badge is likely to win regardless.

Can you briefly contrast the handling and drive performance of the Altis vs SX4 (P)? I am upgrading from an SX4 and also tad worried about loosing the amazing head room. Confused as hell to be honest on the right car!
Fornax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:18   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Excellent thread. Thorough, detailed & informative introduction and comprehensive (or painstaking) replies to all sorts of queries. Loved every page Severus.

A poser for you...there are rumors of an eminent upgrade to the Elantra which will add a Sunroof and a touchscreen ICE - would you have chosen the Elantra now over the Altis?

I am down to these two cars - Corolla vs Elantra (2015)...but the T badge is likely to win regardless.

Can you briefly contrast the handling and drive performance of the Altis vs SX4 (P)? I am upgrading from an SX4 and also tad worried about loosing the amazing head room. Confused as hell to be honest on the right car!
Thanks for the kind comments, Fornax.
Even if the Elantra had sunroof and touchscreen ICE, I still would have chosen Corolla Altis, as features was only one of the factors in our decision. Brand value, reliability, newer model and better design (subjective) were the major factors.

About the handling and drive of Altis compared to SX4, of course the Altis is superior in both respects. Since my daily ride now is SX4, I can assure you that handling and overall drive of the Corolla is far ahead. Although SX4 itself carries a pretty powerful engine, the refinement of Corolla's unit is much more.

As regards headroom, I've never faced any problem. Having a higher than average ground clearance in its segment makes it very easy to get into and get out of.
Regards.
Old 7th May 2015, 11:50   #112
BHPian

Severus, any updates on the car? How's it performing almost a year after its purchase?
yash1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 11:10   #113
BHPian

Totally confused at the moment and your thread is helping me tilt towards the Altis now. The elantra with all the features is however not appealing to me somehow since it seems to sit very low and I believe Altis is much better that way. Also with facelift the Elantra has become more expensive than Altis & I know the Altis should give better resale value later.

So how is the car performing so far? How is the FE now?
urajkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 11:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Based on what the experience of others with regard to Innova or Corolla has been over the long term, you will have no issues with the car. if you have, and the dealer shows any slackness, just write to Toyota, and in 99.5 out of 100, you will get a reply within minutes or hours, and a very quick resolution.

That is one of the biggest positive with Toyota: you know that the company cares about your post ownership experience and will go to a great extent to solve your problems. As it is, there are almost no problems, and say a 5-10% chance of being dissatisfied at the dealers' end. You can also crib about dealer overcharging on service or advising wrongly.

I have seen the new Altis. I would definitely buy it (when I have the money that is) though I feel somehow it is a bit lesser than the old Corolla 2002-07. That has more to do with looks (which have been somewhat aggressive and have resulted in some odd aesthetic choices by Toyota). What is the colour of leather now by Toyota. Yesterday I was at a Toyota dealership in NOIDA and I saw a customer's Altis with white leather. That did not look so great apart from being not good in dusty Indian conditions. Is that the leather colour in higher end versions.

Overall, you will enjoy the car and will sell it out of boredom rather than anything else.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 03:48   #115
BHPian

Hi.. Excellent review .. Just wanted to check can you leave you car in neutral mode for parking !! Looking at delhi parking situation one has to leave car in neutral. Pls confirm !
Ankure is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:49   #116
BHPian

I hope you're doing good and the car's doing great too.

I'm just about to leave to go take delivery of my 1.4 D4D G Model Altis E170.

May be the first E170 Diesel on the forum I think.

Wanted to ask where did you pick up the accessories from for the car?
duke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 12:41   #117
BHPian

First of all, guys, so so sorry for not updating here in a while. I hate to admit this, but I'd almost forgotten about this thread. [Lol wat? ]
A couple of updates (Apologies for the horrendous quality pictures):

After a year, the FE has somewhat dropped down. The figure was around 9.5 kmpl in July last year. Now it's this (mostly city driving):
My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review-imag0545.jpg

And this is unheard of in Toyotas, but there's a very slight rattling noise in the cabin while driving. I looked around, and found that this plastic connector between the IRVM and roof is the culprit. I press it slightly (like in the pic below), and the noise goes away. Comes back again after driving a few times:
My 2014 Toyota Corolla Altis VL S-CVTi: A Detailed Review-imag0547.jpg

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Severus, any updates on the car? How's it performing almost a year after its purchase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Also with facelift the Elantra has become more expensive than Altis & I know the Altis should give better resale value later.

So how is the car performing so far? How is the FE now?
Performing very well, like it should, except for the small issue mentioned above.
urajkumar, although Elantra has become significantly expensive after the update, it is still slightly cheaper than the Altis, as Altis prices have also increased over the span of a year. But you're right, the gap has become narrower now and Hyundai can't play the value-for-money card anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
What is the colour of leather now by Toyota. Yesterday I was at a Toyota dealership in NOIDA and I saw a customer's Altis with white leather. That did not look so great apart from being not good in dusty Indian conditions. Is that the leather colour in higher end versions.
Vasudeva, the colour of the leather is not white. It is light beige, as in my car. It may appear white-ish if you see it in bright sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankure View Post
Hi.. Excellent review .. Just wanted to check can you leave you car in neutral mode for parking !! Looking at delhi parking situation one has to leave car in neutral. Pls confirm !
Ankure, no, you cannot leave an AT car in neutral mode, AFAIK. You have to shift the gear into 'P' mode before switching off. I tried to switch off my car in 'N' mode, but the MID prompted to shift into 'P' mode. Car won't switch off completely unless I shift it into 'P' mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
I'm just about to leave to go take delivery of my 1.4 D4D G Model Altis E170.
May be the first E170 Diesel on the forum I think.
Wanted to ask where did you pick up the accessories from for the car?
Duke, I picked up the accessories from the Toyota dealer only. No aftermarket accessories. Did you get any accessories for your car? And how's the diesel's performance?

Severus
Severus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 20:12   #118

Nice Review Severus . I got a Corolla VL 2 months back and the MID shows 8.6 kmpl(In Mumbai Suburbs Traffic) It has only clocked 1300 kms . I have a question what is the tyre pressure setting on your car. I am experimenting with different psi settings currently on 32psi with Nitrogen and so far ride is smooth .
sunsand2000 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 20:17   #119

Hey Severus Nice Review my MID shows 8.6 kmpl in Mumbai traffic. Just a question what is the recommended tire pressure according to you. I tried with 32psi with Nitrogen and the ride is smoother .
sunsand2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 21:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsand2000 View Post
Nice Review Severus . I got a Corolla VL 2 months back and the MID shows 8.6 kmpl(In Mumbai Suburbs Traffic) It has only clocked 1300 kms . I have a question what is the tyre pressure setting on your car. I am experimenting with different psi settings currently on 32psi with Nitrogen and so far ride is smooth .
sunsand2000, I keep a tyre pressure of 32 psi in my car. That's what is recommended anyway, on the chart near the front door. But I haven't used Nitrogen. Does it significantly improve the quality of ride?