Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd August 2014, 14:19   #16
BHPian

Default re: My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hearty congratulations varun! Wish you a safe and trouble free ownership.
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Congratulations !! White doesn't accentuate the new shape at all. You should have gone for the latest orange color.

Are those mats provided by the dealer, please replace them.
Thanks ! Yes I agree, In fact I believe red and the 'new black' looked really good. My reasons for white color are, ease of maintenance (small scratches can be removed easily), evergreen color, relatively dirt free. According to me white color is best for the modifications and sticker-vinyl jobs as well.

Yes, these were dealer accessories and I can't wait to change the mats ( I am really busy these days, unable to find any time )

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Congratulations on the Polo Zigor! Wish you many happy miles in it.

Its good to see VW take customer feedback seriously and improve. 2014 comfortline is better loaded than 2011 highline polo I had except for alloys.
Thanks and I believe the comfortline variant sits too close to Swift Zdi. Enthusiasts could seriously consider VW now
Zigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up

Nice review there! I would say the comfortline is an excellent choice largely due that beautiful black interiors (compared to the so-called premium beige in the Highline). I hope they will continue with the black theme on the GT variants.

And for a change itís nice to see the steering wheel sans any buttons
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Congratulations on the Polo. Finally with a engine for the mass market.
Somehow, the steering wheel and interiors still look very barren. Look Wise the Swift still is better. Not quality wise.

Why cant the dash dials get a chrome surround. Silver trim on the ac units would have been nice.

Drive-wise, there is nothing better than the 1.5 and 1.6 Polo Diesels.

I second that dipen. While the all black theme (with a touch of grey on the ceiling and the side beams inside) looks awesome, the dashboard looks tacky. A bit of chrome console and a touch of silver around the ac vents would have made it look awesome. In fact, the European spec of the New Polo has it. God knows why Indian auto enthusiasts should bear with unaesthetic features always!

Is it possible to get the chrome/ silver accents done aftermarket? Even if it can be done, will it affect the warranty by any chance?

The dashboard on the highline which sports a dual tone (black + a dark shade of beige called Desert Beige) looks awful. Guess VW designers have designed it in such a way that it complements the 'Copper Orange' exterior, and have forgotten about the rest - it looks particularly out of place for exteriors with Silver and White colors.

The New Polo Owner has to either live with a totally dark dashboard or a rather inharmonious dual tone dashboard
arun2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 17:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun2014 View Post

The New Polo Owner has to either live with a totally dark dashboard or a rather inharmonious dual tone dashboard
I have a feeling the GT TSI and TDI will quench your desire. Most likely black with chrome, piano black and aluminum. Let's wait and see.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 19:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post

To sum it up I chose VW Polo, as it has bigger engine (than Swift and Punto), better brakes (than swift). I don't think any other hatch will be launched in near future with better specs (leaving GT TDI which I think with the new pricing would be too expensive for a hatch). New Polo also offers lot of options for a remap at a later stage.
Congrats on your Latest Acquisition Zigor and welcome the the Polo Club.

You really are the first Bhpian to post the Polo 1.5 TDI ownership report and boy what a Color to kick things off with.

I think with the 2014 Polo Facelift, VW have not only addressed the biggest 'Flaw' of the Polo's diesel engine, but also have quite literally shown the competition what a 'Facelift' really means !!

Have you thought about some nice Alloys for your stead ? Drive safe and enjoy lot more happy miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I have a feeling the GT TSI and TDI will quench your desire. Most likely black with chrome, piano black and aluminum. Let's wait and see.
I also wish & hope VW provides an All-black interior on the GT twins Vid6639, but it could be a bit of a confusing proposition.

On the Polo Facelift, all black interiors come on lower trims, while the Piano black finish came on higher trims & GT in earlier models.

Would VW really take the pain of making these changes on the 2014 GT's, considering that they did not do anything 'Very' different before for these limited offerings ?? Guess, we all have to wait and watch.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd August 2014 at 19:44.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

I also wish & hope VW provides an All-black interior on the GT twins Vid6639, but it could be a bit of a confusing proposition.

On the Polo Facelift, all black interiors come on lower trims, while the Piano black finish came on higher trims & GT in earlier models.

Would VW really take the pain of making these changes on the 2014 GT's, considering that they did not do anything 'Very' different before for these limited offerings ?? Guess, we all have to wait and watch.
The only reason I am hopeful is because they did exactly that with the old Cross polo. It was same as 1.2L TDI Highline but interiors were updated to all black with chrome and brushed aluminum.

Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nice review there!
And for a change itís nice to see the steering wheel sans any buttons
Thanks ! Even I am a big fan of an uncluttered steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your Latest Acquisition Zigor and welcome the the Polo Club.

Have you thought about some nice Alloys for your stead ? Drive safe and enjoy lot more happy miles.

Thanks again ! I might wait couple of months before finalizing on alloy wheels. The only real reason : I want to enjoy the process of searching 'The right option'. That's the real fun for an enthusiast, Isn't it ?

When I went to the showroom, the very first thing I checked was the interior color of the dashboard. I don't think anyone wants that beige color. I wonder why they have it as an option. Sometimes, the manufacturers think too much about the 'mass market' and in process make some strange assumptions. I am yet to meet a person who says that I love beige color, that too inside your car I just wish that the dashboard and the gear lever had more kinds of black inserts (jet black, charcoal black e.t.c)
Zigor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You should have gone for the latest orange color.
Quote:
My reasons for white color are, ease of maintenance (small scratches can be removed easily), evergreen color, relatively dirt free. According to me white color is best for the modifications and sticker-vinyl jobs as well.

I am really busy these days, unable to find any time )

Congratulations Zigor !

Well, I also believe yours is the 1st new polo TDI on TBHP.

I also took delivery of my new polo on 23rd July, however mine is orange and highline.

Have not been able to manage enough time for photos and the review.
vishalchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:51   #24

Quote:
Thanks ! Even I am a big fan of an uncluttered steering wheel.

When I went to the showroom, the very first thing I checked was the interior color of the dashboard. I don't think anyone wants that beige color. I wonder why they have it as an option. Sometimes, the manufacturers think too much about the 'mass market' and in process make some strange assumptions. I am yet to meet a person who says that I love beige color, that too inside your car I just wish that the dashboard and the gear lever had more kinds of black inserts (jet black, charcoal black e.t.c)

Congrats on your new car Zigor.

Yeah, even I'm yet to meet someone who loves beige on the dash. However, the black & beige combination on the outgoing Polo wasn't all that bad. Bcos, the beige was subtle, and it was looking fine. However, in the New Polo, they've brought in a rather strange color called 'Desert Beige' which looks really awful. Besides, the frame around the windshield still sports the old Beige, while the Dashboard comes in that odd color.

On the other hand, the 'All Black' interiors look simply awesome, while I feel, they should've added a touch of Silver/ Chrome on the Dash around the vents and audio console. Without that, it looks barren and kinda gives a claustrophobic feel.

In fact, I'm about to buy a New VW Polo 1.2 Petrol. And I'm in a big dilemma whether to go for a Highline or a Comfortline for this very reason. Can someone educate me if it's possible to get these chrome/ silver accents done aftermarket? Also I'm worried if it would make the warranty void. Can anyone educate me on this too?

Sorry, I've missed the attachment. This is was what I was talking about.

Mod Note: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Attached Thumbnails
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-2014-vw-polo-highline-color-contrast.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th September 2014 at 07:15.
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your new car Zigor.

In fact, I'm about to buy a New VW Polo 1.2 Petrol. And I'm in a big dilemma whether to go for a Highline or a Comfortline for this very reason.
Why don't you get yourself a Polo highline and get the beige parts painted black? Colour glo, located in kerala, does this work beautifully.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...-kerala-2.html (Interior Restoration - Color Glo (Ernakulam, Kerala))

This way you'll have a Polo with all bells and whistles in which the all black won't look too monotonous cause of the aluminum accents around the AC vents and the silver center console.

Last edited by Suraj25 : 3rd August 2014 at 11:06.
Suraj25 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Why don't you get yourself a Polo highline and get the beige parts painted black? Colour glo, located in kerala, does this work beautifully.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...-kerala-2.html (Interior Restoration - Color Glo (Ernakulam, Kerala))

This way you'll have a Polo with all bells and whistles in which the all black won't look too monotonous cause of the aluminum accents around the AC vents and the silver center console.

Thanks Suraj. Your link has indeed given me a great hope.

I have one more concern though. By buying a Highline, I'm afraid if might still have to miss out the awesome 'Black+Grey' interiors of the Comfortline and live with the strange Beige color interiors. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason why am saying this is while the upholstery can be covered with Black & Grey leather or so, the ceiling/ side frames can't be painted. Or is there anyway it can be done?

Or will buying a Comfortline and adding Chrome/ Silver around the vents and audio console help? Would you please let me know if it can be done in 'Color Glo' or any other place that you know. I'm from Chennai and getting it done in Kerala is not at all a problem, as it's relatively close-by.
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I have one more concern though....
Or will buying a Comfortline and adding Chrome/ Silver around the vents and audio console help?
You're welcome Arun! The interiors of the A, B and C pillars can be done at Colour Glo itself cause it's plastic. Also, the headliner is more whitish or light beige, so it shouldn't be a big problem. But those guys might be able to dye the headliner too.

About the comfort line, yes I think the central console panel can be dyed silver, but it won't have the OEM finish.
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:34   #28
DWC
BHPian

Generally, i'm a big fan of all black interiors, but in this case I believe VW have been very clever with the trendline/comfortline and highline differentiation.

Having seen the trendline and highline variants in person, I prefer the interiors of the highline. Here's why:

1. The steering wheel.
The leather wrapped steering wheel reeks of quality. Steering mounted controls may be gimmicky, but are really convenient in the long run. Its these small things that make all the difference in improving the overall driving experience.

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-20140720_153406.jpg

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-10.jpg

2. The center console with the silver panel looks good in person. I didn't much care for it in the pictures, but in person, its fits in well with the rest of the car.

3. Automatic Climate Control is not something I really care about, but the controls for the manual a/c looks very dated and would fit in with cars from a decade ago.

4. The leather wrapped gearknob and handbrake level add to the premium feel of the HL, whereas its all very drab in the lower variants.

Overall, the highline interiors look more plush and welcoming, whereas the lower variants look like they could have used maybe a little more colour. It just looks like a sea of black plasticy bits that are put together.

Please do not mind my views, and I mean no disrespect to CL and TL owners and to people who have different views and opinions, I am just merely speaking my mind.

There are a few things I don't really care for on the HL as well. For example, the beige seats are not at all to my liking. They will get dirty in no time. Seat covers will be a must.

I would have preferred an all black dash as well.

The comfortline is great VFM, but lacks attention to detail. Being around 50k cheaper than the highline, suddenly the HL seems like value for money, considering that for the additional amount you get alloys, that lovely leather wrapped steering wheel, bluetooth, voice command, steering mounted controls, leather wrapped gearknob and handbrake, cornering lights, parking sensors and a few other gizmos.
DWC is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post

I also took delivery of my new polo on 23rd July, however mine is orange and highline.
Congrats man ! Orange looks bright and bold in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Please do not mind my views, and I mean no disrespect to CL and TL owners and to people who have different views and opinions, I am just merely speaking my mind.
Not at all, In fact I agree to most of what you mentioned. I would only add that the difference between the variants (with registration included) is more than 50k . It is somewhere around 60-65k. Other than the handbrake, steering wheel leather touches and may be alloys, I wasn't interested in other features (and wanted to avoid beige as well). Anyways, I will try to post detailed driving impression of a long highway trip soon. I hope to click some better photographs of the dashboard this time. I know that I have mentioned this before but it is not really bland to look at in real life.
Zigor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 00:27   #30
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
I would only add that the difference between the variants (with registration included) is more than 50k . It is somewhere around 60-65k.

Anyways, I will try to post detailed driving impression of a long highway trip soon.
Here in Mumbai the difference is around 50k between the CL and the HL variants. I have attached an image of the price list for your reference.

Looking forward to your views on the drivability of the car on the highway. I must say, your report is very detailed and has been a pleasure to read so far.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Price List - Polo 3 - Mum - 18th July'14.pdf (1.12 MB, 673 views)
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote