Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th September 2014, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Default re: XDrive Power - My BMW X3 30D - Pics on Pg. 1 & 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Upgrades, you ask?
I plan on getting some very light window tint
Sorry to pick on the silly thing, just wanted to know if this is a very light shade of a sun film or an actual glass panel which you are planning on (I highly doubt it but maybe..?)

I'm sure you are aware of the supreme court order, farcical but enforced nonetheless, which prohibits any sort of tinting. I wonder if there is any sort of leeway you have noticed with light tints of approx <10% visible light transmission

Thanks
iamendangered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 19:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sweet ride, congratulations! Pleasantly surprised to hear about the space & ride quality, I'd have thought otherwise. Completely agreed with your comments on the engine & transmission. Both are absolutely fantastic!

Did you get the BSI Ultimate? Guess they're now offering 6 year packages?

P.S. Who about the Accord? That guy sure got a nice car. How much did she go for?
Thanks Rush. Honestly even I thought the X3 was tiny until I sat in someones in the back seat. I was very surprised with the ride and the space available.

I haven't got BSI yet, but probably will in a few months time. I don't think they are offering 6 years now, though even the 5 year 60k plan comes to around 4.5l, so still debating whether its worth it or not.

The Accord is gone. A friend and member Xehaust bought it, and he is enjoying the car. Needless to say I miss it. He got it for a bit over 6l.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Great car Akshay. Totally drool worthy stuff. Its a perfect alternative to the Yeti. And the deal you got is mouth watering. Eagerly waiting for the pics. You have to better your 3 series review pictures this time .

I personally feel that you should have opted for the blue colour that you mentioned was also available.

A stupid question : How does it feel to drive in comparison to the 3?
Thanks Mohit. Well yes, but it can't take as much of a battering as the Yeti can. Luckily I still have the Yeti. I'll certainly try and beat those pictures

Blue colour would have looked great, but then the beige interiors are not to my liking at all. With beige interiors, beige plastic it all just seems so plain. At least this is different.

In comparison to the 3 it feels much bulkier, but being a BMW its still very agile. The way it picks up speed is ridiculous, but linear. The 3 still has a lot of punch, and doesn't really feel slow compared to this. But they are totally different vehicles, and the things you can do with the 3 can't be done with the X3, and vice versa. Lets just say I still thoroughly enjoy the 3 and its precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I love the black and red combo, but I couldn't help but remember you saying just how much of a pain black was to maintain and now you go and get a black beauty

That engine/transmission combo sounds fantastic, hope you enjoy her (him?) to the fullest.
Man, Karan, I know what I said. But the thought of having beige interiors in this car meant I was willing to put up with the hassles of maintaining a black car again. I've got a really good car washer, and I get the cars polished twice a year so I guess it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Congratulations Akshay! So finally you got it. I remember you writing that you were in the market for such an SUV.

The red black combo is one of my favourites. Looks great definitely.

Wish you thousands of happy miles ahead

-Bhargav
Thanks Bharghav. Its been a long time coming, the X3. Its been a few months that we were dilly dallying, and its nice to finally get the car. And that too the top of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
Brilliant stuff Akshay! Waiting for the detailed pics. Lovely interiors. Probably a dream car for many bhpians

I really like the 530d M Sport since the day I saw it in person but then the practicality of an SUV is unparalled. Happy mile munching
Hey Harsh, thank you. The 530D is one car I had my eye on, but the fact that we needed an SUV ruled it out straight away. I get the best of both worlds in this. Hopefully I'll replace the 3 some years down the line with a powerful RWD BMW.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 00:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, I think it will look nice. Though some of my friends have wondered why I want to become a rapper

Lol! That said, Here's the car with some bling. Looks real good.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1410894106.175697.jpg
Views: 4877
Size:  117.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1410894120.075302.jpg
Views: 4754
Size:  110.0 KB

And thanks for the pics buddy. The interiors look beautiful. The red has really elevated the cabin.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 06:51   #19
BHPian

Firstly Akshay Congrats on the X3 and wish you lakhs of kms of Happy Pleasant Sheer Driving Pleasure. I have driven one and i loved every minute spent inside the cabin. I and was offered a 3000 KM run one for 42Lakhs, before i decided to go in for the plunge and bought a new X1. I would advise that you go in for the BSI Ultimate, on the basis of the ownership experience of a friend who was sold a pre-facelift version(2011 Model) in 2013. you can read his experience here and thanks to BSI he has been saved My recent vehicle Purchase.pdf. Not that every BMW sold has some problem, but better be safe than sorry.

At the Mangalore workshop wherein i have had several interactions with the operations manager, it is those cars without the maintenance package that end up with quite high bills! in fact i saw a 7 series in the yard, waiting for its owners approval as the estimated cost of running repairs - A/c condenser Fan, Brakes, Oil service etc was around 2.0 Lakhs

are you planning any mods ? Do visit my X1 Ownership thread for some accessories that i have fitted on!. probably you can purchase the 'Royal Kagu 3D Floor Mats' as i notice there is some pinkish mat on the floor.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 17th September 2014 at 06:59.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 08:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't got BSI yet, but probably will in a few months time. I don't think they are offering 6 years now, though even the 5 year 60k plan comes to around 4.5l, so still debating whether its worth it or not
I believe BSI is now offered in 3 variants -
One Extends only Basic warranty - 6 Years is maximum (maybe as per International norms ), Second covers all planned Maintenance expenses like oil , filters & Third one includes additional wear & tear items including Brake pads & battery . You can purchase Maintenance packs for as long as 10 Years but basic warranty cannot be extended beyond 6 Years

BMW has increased the prices of maintenance packs significantly most likely based on average costs they have incurred on existing one's which in my opinion are due to road conditions / driving habits .

Further you can now extend your warranty only once over your initial purchase unlike in past where you can simply pay difference at end of period and get extension .

If you are driving moderately and don't burn brakes fast , I will suggest you to opt only for Extended warranty say 5-6 Years instead of ultimate packages as in these cars periodic maintenance costs are still affordable .

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th September 2014 at 08:32.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 09:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! May I request for exterior pics? Taken at dawn or dusk, out in the open?

And now, which car goes for the German drive? I think you should have got yourself the 328i at the first place.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 10:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamendangered View Post
Sorry to pick on the silly thing, just wanted to know if this is a very light shade of a sun film or an actual glass panel which you are planning on (I highly doubt it but maybe..?)

I'm sure you are aware of the supreme court order, farcical but enforced nonetheless, which prohibits any sort of tinting. I wonder if there is any sort of leeway you have noticed with light tints of approx <10% visible light transmission

Thanks
Lol I shouldn't really be discussing breaking the law, but its a very light shade of film. Something like Vkool Cool Elegance 70%, or Llumar Diamond series 70%. I'm running them on other cars of mine, and they have never been stopped for film. Its far too hot in Mumbai to be comfortable without sunfilm, the worst is the burning sensation on any naked skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Firstly Akshay Congrats on the X3 and wish you lakhs of kms of Happy Pleasant Sheer Driving Pleasure. I have driven one and i loved every minute spent inside the cabin. I and was offered a 3000 KM run one for 42Lakhs, before i decided to go in for the plunge and bought a new X1. I would advise that you go in for the BSI Ultimate, on the basis of the ownership experience of a friend who was sold a pre-facelift version(2011 Model) in 2013. you can read his experience here and thanks to BSI he has been saved Attachment 1288680. Not that every BMW sold has some problem, but better be safe than sorry.

At the Mangalore workshop wherein i have had several interactions with the operations manager, it is those cars without the maintenance package that end up with quite high bills! in fact i saw a 7 series in the yard, waiting for its owners approval as the estimated cost of running repairs - A/c condenser Fan, Brakes, Oil service etc was around 2.0 Lakhs

are you planning any mods ? Do visit my X1 Ownership thread for some accessories that i have fitted on!. probably you can purchase the 'Royal Kagu 3D Floor Mats' as i notice there is some pinkish mat on the floor.
Hi Sunil, thank you. Surely it wasn't a 30d that was offered to you for 30l? That would have been a steal. Sunil surely those issues raised by your friend should have been covered in normal warranty, without the need for BSI. *touch wood* My 3 series hasn't given me a single issue, but then its not been used much at all. And I have BSI Ultimate on that. The price for this car however is quite high, so I am just waiting to see how much we end up using it before deciding what to do.

I have seen your thread, interesting stuff. Frankly things like the tablet systems will be of no use to me, but I am aware that importing accessories is far cheaper than buying them here. Like mentioned earlier probably only painting the rims black, getting the gloss black grilles will be the only mods for now. As of now the car has normal packy poda mats, I was supposed to get BMW rubber mats but they weren't in stock so will receive them this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe BSI is now offered in 3 variants -
One Extends only Basic warranty - 6 Years is maximum (maybe as per International norms ), Second covers all planned Maintenance expenses like oil , filters & Third one includes additional wear & tear items including Brake pads & battery . You can purchase Maintenance packs for as long as 10 Years but basic warranty cannot be extended beyond 6 Years

BMW has increased the prices of maintenance packs significantly most likely based on average costs they have incurred on existing one's which in my opinion are due to road conditions / driving habits .

Further you can now extend your warranty only once over your initial purchase unlike in past where you can simply pay difference at end of period and get extension .

If you are driving moderately and don't burn brakes fast , I will suggest you to opt only for Extended warranty say 5-6 Years instead of ultimate packages as in these cars periodic maintenance costs are still affordable .
Hey buddy, yes BSI is offered in 3 variants though the dealerships do not know much about it (the sales guys at least).

Lol signigicantly would be an understatement. The BSI for 5 years 60k costs more than double of what I had paid for my 3 series. Either way like I said above, I'm waiting to judge the actual usage of the car before taking the plunge. I have a short while before I can take that call luckily.

The least I will do is extend my warranty, since that definitely makes sense. But BSI will give me complete piece of mind. I'm quite confused, but will wait and watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations! May I request for exterior pics? Taken at dawn or dusk, out in the open?

And now, which car goes for the German drive? I think you should have got yourself the 328i at the first place.
Sheel the pics will be uploaded by this afternoon/evening at the latest.

Haha I'll have to figure that one out. Honestly my 320d is as almost as quick as the 328i flat out. But the 328i wasn't even available when I got my 3. It came only like 9 months later.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 11:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Sunil, thank you. Surely it wasn't a 30d that was offered to you for 30l? That would have been a steal. Sunil surely those issues raised by your friend should have been covered in normal warranty, without the need for BSI. *touch wood* My 3 series hasn't given me a single issue, but then its not been used much at all. And I have BSI Ultimate on that. The price for this car however is quite high, so I am just waiting to see how much we end up using it before deciding what to do.

I have seen your thread, interesting stuff. Frankly things like the tablet systems will be of no use to me, but I am aware that importing accessories is far cheaper than buying them here. Like mentioned earlier probably only painting the rims black, getting the gloss black grilles will be the only mods for now. As of now the car has normal packy poda mats, I was supposed to get BMW rubber mats but they weren't in stock so will receive them this week.

well yes it was a 30d, that was 3000 Kms run and offered at 42 Lakhs! but then i wanted to be a first owner on the RC and so opted for the X1.

The BMW Rubber Mats are good, but i noticed that the sand and mud slips to the carpet. so i opted out and went in for Royal kagu. As far as the Tablet DVD is concerned it was of no use, but since i got it at a steal i picked it up; and if i find it of no use to me, i have a ready buyer at 40K.

Don't yet paint the rims black. the Brake dust seems to do them on a few X3's here within a span of 300-400 Kms. and yes please invest in a BMW wheel cleaning Brush (Part No: 83 19 2 164 774)

Name:  BuWllKQBmkKGrHqZh4Ev10GP8BLIVUeLQ_12.jpg
Views: 4434
Size:  14.7 KB

and Alloy Rim cleaners Gel. The regular Brushes seem to leave hairline scratches on the rims
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 16:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
well yes it was a 30d, that was 3000 Kms run and offered at 42 Lakhs! but then i wanted to be a first owner on the RC and so opted for the X1.

The BMW Rubber Mats are good, but i noticed that the sand and mud slips to the carpet. so i opted out and went in for Royal kagu. As far as the Tablet DVD is concerned it was of no use, but since i got it at a steal i picked it up; and if i find it of no use to me, i have a ready buyer at 40K.

Don't yet paint the rims black. the Brake dust seems to do them on a few X3's here within a span of 300-400 Kms. and yes please invest in a BMW wheel cleaning Brush (Part No: 83 19 2 164 774)

Attachment 1288751

and Alloy Rim cleaners Gel. The regular Brushes seem to leave hairline scratches on the rims
That was quite a steal, if it were a clean car. Normally 1-2 year old cars done between 8-15k kms go at that price or a tiny bit less.

I did think that dust and dirt would get under, since its not a tray kind of a thing like the 3D mats. But lets see how it is once I get it. There is also some interior chrome kit which adds a few strips of chrome in some places, that looks very upmarket which I am thinking of ordering.

Rim painting will happen after 2-3 months if it does. 900 kms done the brake dust doesn't seem to be doing anything. That is also possible due to my car washing guy who uses Meguiars wheel cleaner once a week and otherwise just cleans them with water every few days.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 17:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Akshay.

The car and the color combo specially looks stunning. The write up wonderfully gives a detailed insight about the vehicle to someone who has not ever sat or driven the X3 30d.
Excellent thread too. Rated 5 star.

Waiting for more pictures please.
cityvic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 22:06   #26
BHPian

Congrats Akshay!

I have driven this engine and gearbox combo in the 530d and it blew me away totally hence i can imagine the fun you are having with this one!

I agree to most people that the red goes extremely well with the car here!

Boy it sure must be a tough decision as to which car to use daily with the TSI, Yeti, 320D and this one (assuming you still own all these? Not sure if there have been any more additions)

Have Fun Drive Safe! Enjoy!
miharbe is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Congrats Akshay,a crisp 5 star review of the 3.0L madness!
I have just sold my C 220 and looking for a German SUV,and the X3 ticks all the boxes for me.Love the black colour and red interiors.
Looking forward for more pictures.
Congrats for the same reg number 2233 of the 320d.

Last edited by kedarwalke : 18th September 2014 at 00:08.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 10:31   #28
BHPian

First of all congratulation on X3 3ltr akshay.

Given the current market X3 3ltr would be my pick, reasons
- Powerful
- Compact
- Good GC
- Handling
- Braking
- Xdrive

Against 530d, reasons
- Its not compact
- No good GC
- Xdrive is missing

Against audi 3ltrs, reasons
- Its not compact
- No good GC

I am waiting for you comparo between your X3 3ltr vs speedys ML 350 cdi.

All in all its a perfect all rounder for our indian road conditions.

Wondering what a remap can do to this monster

Last edited by brraj : 18th September 2014 at 10:46.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 11:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congratulations Akshay.

The car and the color combo specially looks stunning. The write up wonderfully gives a detailed insight about the vehicle to someone who has not ever sat or driven the X3 30d.
Excellent thread too. Rated 5 star.

Waiting for more pictures please.
Thank you Rohin. Unfortunately I couldn't take more pics yesterday. Hopefully will manage those pics today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Congrats Akshay!

I have driven this engine and gearbox combo in the 530d and it blew me away totally hence i can imagine the fun you are having with this one!

I agree to most people that the red goes extremely well with the car here!

Boy it sure must be a tough decision as to which car to use daily with the TSI, Yeti, 320D and this one (assuming you still own all these? Not sure if there have been any more additions)

Have Fun Drive Safe! Enjoy!
Oh yes its really fun in the 530d. Infact the sports auto transmission is a nice addition, I'm looking to see if I can get someone to code it for me.

Yup that is my garage as of now. And it is a tough decision lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Congrats Akshay,a crisp 5 star review of the 3.0L madness!
I have just sold my C 220 and looking for a German SUV,and the X3 ticks all the boxes for me.Love the black colour and red interiors.
Looking forward for more pictures.
Congrats for the same reg number 2233 of the 320d.
Thanks Kedar. The X3 will be great, though the 30d will most probably not be available now.

Ah someone noticed the same number as the 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post

I am waiting for you comparo between your X3 3ltr vs speedys ML 350 cdi.

All in all its a perfect all rounder for our indian road conditions.

Wondering what a remap can do to this monster
Thank you buddy, it certainly is great for our conditions providing practicality and a brilliant drive at the same time.

When Speedy is in his ML nothing can catch up, so there is no comparison
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 14:52   #30
BHPian

Congratulations buddy! I knew of your intention of getting an X3 but the full monty xDrive30d is something I didn't expect! Come to think of it, its you so I could forsee the performance pinncacle variant from your car requirement would always be your choice!

I always thought the X3's interiors would be cramped and the car surely didn't appeal to me the first time around. I'm somehow not sure of the looks either, maybe its just me. It is ultimately a BMW which means impeccable engineering and driving dynamics.

That engine is an absolute peach! Heck its the reason why many including GTO if I recall correctly have hailed the 530d as near perfect and almost up there with the M5. The 8-speeder is just fantastic as well!

Have fun in this beast bro! A drive is in order soon! Excellent write up btw! Upload them pictures already.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote