Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th September 2014, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi

Congrats. The car looks stunning in the flesh and much more like a European designed vehicle, albeit comparing it to a Mini cooper would be pushing the yardstick too far.

However, on a recent testdrive; incidentally at Trident Hosur road the Elite I20 felt more dynamically sorted out than my soft sprung Igen I20. A great buy nevertheless
CoolBlueBiker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi

Congrats. That was an entertaining read too. Wishing you many happy miles. Or rather Kilometers and kilometers!!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:32   #18
BHPian

Dear vinjosep,

First of, let me congratulate you for your new ride. Must say, its a stellar car. Secondly, boss, I was laughing, laughing, laughing and laughing while reading your write-up and buying experience. People around my cubicle were wondering what's wrong with this man.

Super choice on the color, and good that you chose the top-end version with all the bells and whistle, and most importantly the safety features. I have an i10 AT, which will turn 4 this October, driven only and only by wify. Was planning to upgrade the car couple of months back with i10 Grand, then realized that i10 Grand AT Asta, does not have ABS and Airbags. Cancelled my plans then and there. When i20 was launched, I excitedly took the test-drive, loved every bit of the car in terms of looks, features, gizmos, driveability, etall. Called up my wify from the showroom itself to tell let's buy this car, Wives being wives, first question she asked, Does it have AT?

In all the excitement I had forgotten to ask SA whether the i20 came with AT box, "No" she said, and her answer was echoed by my wife. I offered my car to her saying you drive my car, let me buy this one for me. Same answer once again I got, "No". Her reason, why should i drive a car with no snazzy features and let you drive one with all those features. Err.. I have a 3rd Generation Honda City. Now, who will sit and explain my wife, that I-Vtec is a gem of a engine.

So now begins an impatient wait when Hyundai decides to launch AT box for this car, probably only then will I be able to buy this beauty. And I hope, they don't make the same mistake of not giving airbags and ABS in AT version.

PS - On a lighter note, let me also try with squint left eye, whether the Elite i20 really looks like Mini.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:33   #19
BHPian

Great Writing style you got there sir!

And yes, the car looks like a million bucks in the flesh.(Ok I do accept that it costs almost a million)

Wishing you many million miles of motoring.

I think the radio transponder must be touched to the start stop button to start the car in case the remote runs out of charge.
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 13:55   #20
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Mumblings of a Nomad, The “Elite”ment diaries - My Hyundai i20 1.4L CRDi

Congratulations.

I was eagerly waiting for the ownership review for this car. Very well written. Keep it coming in future also.

I have also booked it in star dust colour as well. I have to wait a little (around Diwali) to get my hands on it.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ckranjan : 25th September 2014 at 14:05.
ckranjan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 14:33   #21
BHPian

Hi vinjosep,

Congratulation ! I think yours is probably the first ownership thread for Elite i20.
Really stunning & feature rich, perfect car I would say.

1.4 CRDi is gem of an engine but for the turbo lag. Would love to have your experience on this as you keep driving.
Did the size (larger now) effect the acceleration & braking ?
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
By the way, could you kindly elaborate on the Engine Performance, handling and ride quality with regards to the Suzuki Swift, since you've already driven both of them..?
If I was selfish, I would have chosen Swift DDiS for the driving pleasure and the gem of an engine. Swift's turbo is very evident in the 2nd Gen. The current generation has this a bit more linear and mellowed though still far more evident than i20. The moment you consider your family as the passengers, Elite i20 is a no-brainer. NVH directly translating to ride comfort is a big plus. Engine torque is ample. Body roll is also better controlled in Elite as per my wife. She is the best judge cause of her motion-sickness.

This is considering just these two cars.

I would reserve my detailed comments on the engine performance until I have crossed at least 5K-10K kms. I found our Liva to a be a different animal once it crossed 10K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Congratulations! Did you figure out how 4D mats better than the regular 3D mats?
The car during the scoop looked hidious to me and I even posted about it. However, when I was tailing the new i20 I realized that it had one of the hottest behind!
4D I believe is just a brand name. Nothing 4D about it. However 1) it is cheaper than the Kagu 3D mats and more important 2) was available at the time of our purchase. These were sort of universal in nature. I'm glad we got this coz its really helpful in collecting the dirt & mud from the rains in Kerala and Bangalore without spilling into the base carpets.

Even I felt the scoop pics hideous until I focused on our requirements. Thats when this slowly but surely started looking beautiful. Agree with that comment on the derriere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
albeit comparing it to a Mini cooper would be pushing the yardstick too far.
That was the SR. Even I felt it was a stretch and hence my take in the same. I was fortunate to be associated with the brand for sometime in a professional capacity and hence was amused, at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Great Writing style you got there sir!

And yes, the car looks like a million bucks in the flesh.(Ok I do accept that it costs almost a million)

Wishing you many million miles of motoring.

I think the radio transponder must be touched to the start stop button to start the car in case the remote runs out of charge.
Thank you. You are right. The user manual also states that one should press the smart key on the start-stop button when the remote is out of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi vinjosep,

Congratulation ! I think yours is probably the first ownership thread for Elite i20.
Really stunning & feature rich, perfect car I would say.

1.4 CRDi is gem of an engine but for the turbo lag. Would love to have your experience on this as you keep driving.
Did the size (larger now) effect the acceleration & braking ?
Thank you. I guess mine might be the first ownership thread that went live. I hope the others are coming out soon as well.

I do not find much of a turbo lag, but then I ensure I always shift to higher gears only when the rpm was at or above 2000 which brought me into the new gear at 1500rpm or thereabouts. Is good enough for the city traffic. Never felt underpowered. On highways it's a hoot to drive, it was with great restraint that I kept the car within 2500rpm in 6th gear.

Last edited by vinjosep : 25th September 2014 at 15:42.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 16:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good Review. You have a witty writing style. I would say the 'Stardust' is a very nice choice of colour. The rear light arrangement is the one which i like the most as compared to the outgoing model.

My colleague has booked a Petrol Asta version which would be coming soon and it was only yesterday that we were discussing that the key inside the FOB can be used to start the car and thats where he mentioned that there is no such provision. Strange and you have confirmed it. Do let us know on the workaround so that i can relay it to him as well. I am surprised with this arrangement though.

Wishing you many happy miles.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 17:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
That was the SR. Even I felt it was a stretch and hence my take in the same. I was fortunate to be associated with the brand for sometime in a professional capacity and hence was amused, at best.
I second you on that; SR nowadays go to any extremes to market a car. Personally, I feel I20 is so successful that the car sells itself. Great to know you had the opportunity to be associated with the iconic Mini Cooper. You should share that experience. With your writing style, I am sure it would be a great read
CoolBlueBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 18:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueBiker View Post
I second you on that; SR nowadays go to any extremes to market a car. Personally, I feel I20 is so successful that the car sells itself. Great to know you had the opportunity to be associated with the iconic Mini Cooper. You should share that experience. With your writing style, I am sure it would be a great read
True. Which is why I'm really appreciative of our SR. What he didn't know he said so and came back later with logical answers after taking inputs from his technical team.

The professional engagement was not in a capacity that would of much interest here. Let's just say that it was more along "behind the scenes". Am just a very small pawn in a big ocean.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 18:40   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Mumblings of a Nomad: The i20 “Elite”ment diaries

Congratulation Vinjoseph !

May you clock many miles, safely and happily. That was such a detailed review i had to take a few breaks before i could finish.

Quote:
Chapter 3: The “Elite”ment

VW, Skoda, Chevrolet, Nissan and Renault pre-sales experience left me in no doubt. They were struck from the prospective list.
At the Nissan showroom, spent 45 minutes shuffling around the cars on display while the entire Sales team was intently watching. Intently watching a serial on the large LCD TV far away from the distraction of cars, that is.

[/i]
What you said above - is this really serious? not even once the SA approached you? This is really outrageously funny !

The "premium" feel of the i20 must give you many smiles and i think you have got maximum bang for the buck. Forgive me if you had mentioned this in your review and i missed it, how do the passenger is the 2nd row feel during the drive ? i mean the suspension.
The Observer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 19:03   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Mumblings of a Nomad: The i20 “Elite”ment diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
What you said above - is this really serious? not even once the SA approached you? This is really outrageously funny !

The "premium" feel of the i20 must give you many smiles and i think you have got maximum bang for the buck. Forgive me if you had mentioned this in your review and i missed it, how do the passenger is the 2nd row feel during the drive ? i mean the suspension.
Thank you and sorry for the long torrent of words. Tried to make it concise, but failed. Another such attempt below.

Yes, the "Nissan" experience was almost as it is. Had left out the below portion.

Finally a SR did approach me, after 45 minutes. He was not party to the "serial" players and didn't have the branded T-shirt etc which others were sporting. I was taken aback by his courtesy and polite way of speaking until....

There was an elderly couple around who were keen on the new Sunny. They finally managed to get a lady SR with the car's price-list etc. I was watching their effort with a little amusement; from inside the micra of course.

I came out of the car and that's when the SR pounced on me. Very eager he was and got me everything in a jiffy. For a fleeting moment I was almost ready to take back my assessment of the brand when the bolt out of the blue came - "Is that Audi yours Sir?"

It all fell into place.

Parked right infront of the showroom was an Audi A6 with a chaffeur. The SR saw the car and assumed me as the owner and hence the attention.

I savoured the moment, pictured myself as the owner (felt nice) for a few seconds and then sadly broke his bubble. Just as I left the place in my car, the elderly couple got into the Audi and drove off...

The new facelifted Sunny did look hot inside, no wonder those in the Audi seemed smitten.

Missed the second question. The ride quality. We got a new pack of 20 small plastic carry-bags for the car (during our first trip). Good news is that the interiors are still spick and span and I still have 16 of those left. Before you jump to conclusions, let me add that even in Duster/ Innova/ WagonR/ Liva the results were similar or worse on the same broken roads.

On the highways, it's a superb ride. All slept like babies and I made good time.

Last edited by vinjosep : 25th September 2014 at 19:31. Reason: Additions :)
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 19:18   #28

Talking about A.S.S, I had a torrid time while getting the headlamps of my VW Jetta adjusted. The service staff have absolutely no idea regarding the headlight adjustment mechanicals, because I have already travelled 5 times to get the job done but to no avail; In contrast MSIL do a fantastic job. I have heard Hyundai is equally good, that's one thing to not worry about while purchasing a Hyundai then.
Harsha89 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 21:03   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. This review had 2 important highlights: 1. Lovely use of fun all around and 2. Nice details covered on the car to really help others contemplating to buy this.

Wishing many happy miles ahead.

Last edited by skyrocket003 : 25th September 2014 at 21:03. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake
skyrocket003 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 21:33   #30
BHPian

Congratulations! Happy mile munching! Very well penned down.

I had booked White Asta CRDi and will be getting it tomorrow most probably.

You speak my mind:
Quote:
Why Asta?
  • Rear wiper
  • 60:40 split rear seat
  • Front passenger airbag
  • Adjustable head restraints for the second row
Most of the features are usable and not just for snob value.

A few queries:
Which insurance company did you choose? What is included: Cashless claims, Zero Depreciation, Total Loss Cover?

Any information on Extended Warranty?

4D Mats over the mats provided by dealer?
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote