Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st November 2014, 13:51   #31
BHPian

Default re: Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Elite vs Polo, well both have there fair share of hits and misses, if I wouldn't had been moving from Fiat Palio MJD, I would have definitely gone for VW Polo.

After what I saw and experienced while owning Fiat, I was sure that I will not make the same mistake again. There were numerous occasions in my ownership, where I was left stranded on the road and the car had to be towed away, one fine morning engine conked off (total damage 1.5L to pocket), car waiting for weeks at FASS for arrival of spare parts. There were numerous such instances.

So this time around, at the time of purchase, I wanted to use my head (Elite) instead of heart (Polo).

Cheers.

Many congratulations buddy on the Elite i20, truly a phenomenal choice. I can understand the confusion you had between the Elite i20 vs Polo. No doubt as @TheLizardKing mentioned, the FTD factor of the Polo is definitely a telling factor especially for we motorheads. But then having said that, the Elite i20 isn't too bad either on that front after you get used to it which doesn't take too long anyway. I own a Polo 1.6 myself which is a powerhouse for a hatch and after driving the new Elite i20 CRDi of a good friend, i was more than blown away by the overall package that the Hyundai offers in this car.

For me its a simple choice, if its jus the FTD aspect one is looking at, surely the Polo would be superior to the Elite no doubt. BUT, when it comes down to rear seat space which is an aspect that is very important for a decent family car to possess, the Elite i20 with its awesome rear seat experience simply blows away the Polo which is a sad place in the name of rear seat space as rightly pointed out in the official review here as well. Also the NVH levels of the Elite i20 diesel motor are simply awesome and in another league compared to the Polo TDI. Lastly the kind of features offered in the Elite i20 makes the Polo feel spartan in comparison. The new Polo refresh still doesn't get electric retract ORVM's, i mean come on! The auto dimming IRVM is a welcome feature too especially when one does a lot of night time driving on unlit roads. I would definitely consider between the Elite i20 and the Honda Jazz when i will be in the market looking for a change from my current Polo 1.6 early next year.

Regarding ASS, i have owned an i10 in the past and have had no service related issues with either Hyundai or VW here in Mumbai. So after sales or spares have not been an issue with either of the two brands for me. But eventually as a car i feel the i20 is a more mature and a complete package when one is looking for a small family car which can seat 5 indian adults in good comfort with good amounts of safety and feature kit to be classified as a Premium Hatchback. And i have to agree with the comparos done in auto mags like Autocar that the Elite i20 is easily the best Premium Hatchback in the Market today which like its earlier avatar will hold on to strong residual values too.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 1st November 2014 at 13:58.
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
You may check with your dealer again or call up Hyundai directly.

By the way your car looks stunning. Congrats. Keep it coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congrats buddy. You're lucky to have got the car within 2 weeks of booking. I have booked the same model (Asta CRDI) on 15th October and been told that the delivery will be made in 45-60 days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Many congratulations buddy on the Elite i20, truly a phenomenal choice.
Thank you All.

Congratulations ckranjan & predatorwheelz on your purchase.

@ckranjan : I am surprised again, I just called HMP, Mathura Road and they still aren't offering Extended Warranty for Elite.

I find it strange, Koncept-Green Park is offering one and a company owned HMP isn't offering any Extended Warranty.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 22:03   #33
BHPian

Bubby, just spotted your car in GK1. Stop maroing chakkar
Attached Thumbnails
Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update-1415205122158.jpg  

barcode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014, 13:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Hahaha. Gone are those 'chakkar maroing' days buddy
Old 12th November 2014, 09:34   #35
BHPian

Hi,

Any idea, why Hyundai came up with the idea of sounding the horn twice while locking the car :|, any workaround?

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 17:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Any idea, why Hyundai came up with the idea of sounding the horn twice while locking the car :|, any workaround?

Regards
Shailesh
Hi Shailesh,

Not sure. Though, at times when you are using key fob in dark and you aren't sure if you pressed the correct button, you can at-least be sure with the sound.

On unlock it beeps twice, on lock it beeps once.

There is no way to silent it, if you are using key fob to lock-unlock the car.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bubby : 12th November 2014 at 17:49.
Old 8th January 2015, 14:25   #37
BHPian

Hello!
Congratulations on the car! Wish you many many miles of trouble free, engine-revving driving pleasure!

I currently drive a 2009 Swift VDi, and am in the market for an upgrade. I have almost decided on the elite i20. The only thing stopping me, is the fun to drive factor. I haven;t driven the car yet, but I have heard a lot that the swift is much more fun to drive.

Fellow tbhpians, please help me out here! I love driving my swift to bits! I am only moving on, because I'm sending the swift back to my mother (actually belongs to her! ). I can't decide between the new swift (heart, cheaper, more fun to drive, its a SWIFT!) and the elite (costlier, more equipment, the looks! etc, etc).

Please share your valuable feedback!
DDiSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 22:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
The only thing stopping me, is the fun to drive factor. I haven;t driven the car yet, but I have heard a lot that the swift is much more fun to drive.

I can't decide between the new swift (heart, cheaper, more fun to drive, its a SWIFT!) and the elite (costlier, more equipment, the looks! etc, etc).
What exactly is your definition of "fun to drive"? If you're the type who does a lot of high speed enthusiastic driving, and a weighteer steering and agile chassis matters the world to you, go for the swift.

For everything else, go for the Elite i20. Its better looking, more matured ride, sensationally more equipment (if you go for the Asta or Sportz O trims) and is just an overall better package.

Going by your username, you drive a diesel swift. If you're planning diesel, I'd say the Elite diesel's refinement and smooth power delivery has every other car in the segment beaten. If you're planning petrol, I must admit the i20's anaemic 1.2 ltr doesn't hold a candle to the Maruti K series petrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Quote:
Hahaha. Gone are those 'chakkar maroing' days buddy
In other news, Bubby was found maroing chakkar in GK2 M Block market, today around 5 PM. I was in a friend's (non bhpian) car, didn't expect you to notice. Moreover, screaming out "Bubby" in the middle of a crowded South Delhi market would have attracted the wrong kind of attention.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 10:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly is your definition of "fun to drive"? If you're the type who does a lot of high speed enthusiastic driving, and a weighteer steering and agile chassis matters the world to you, go for the swift.

For everything else, go for the Elite i20. Its better looking, more matured ride, sensationally more equipment (if you go for the Asta or Sportz O trims) and is just an overall better package.

Going by your username, you drive a diesel swift. If you're planning diesel, I'd say the Elite diesel's refinement and smooth power delivery has every other car in the segment beaten. If you're planning petrol, I must admit the i20's anaemic 1.2 ltr doesn't hold a candle to the Maruti K series petrol!
Hey thanks for clarifying! Yes, I drive a diesel and am planning on getting the diesel.

Regarding 'fun-to-drive', yes, I do enjoy high speed driving with a well weighted steering. But, I also like the way my current swift grips corners at low speeds as well. Its difficult to describe really. I shall take a proper test drive before I decide.

And yes, as you mentioned, the Elite is WAY ahead in every other aspect! I'm just extremely particular on the 'driving pleasure' aspect . Will do a test drive and report back, Captain!
DDiSLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly is your definition of "fun to drive"?
In other news, Bubby was found maroing chakkar in GK2 M Block market, today around 5 PM. I was in a friend's (non bhpian) car, didn't expect you to notice. Moreover, screaming out "Bubby" in the middle of a crowded South Delhi market would have attracted the wrong kind of attention.
am I to link the above two statements together

Bubby was just having fun while driving in GK!
barcode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 14:43   #41
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update

8 Months, 18k Report

I have kept in stock condition no mods whatsoever, its been pleasurable 8 months of Ownership, no niggles whatsoever, no falling parts, no rattles everything is been together really well.

Driving Pleasure

In between I did a 1500km road trip, coming from 120k on Palio and with horror stories Hyundai handling everywhere, I was all set and ready to experience hands-on.

But wait a minute here, to my surprise it was nothing of the above that I have mentioned and what I have been reading about on Hyundai's.

The steering felt well weighted with increase in speeds, not even once I had to correct it, one thing I want to highlight here, I already had 10k old experience with the car. I must also highlight here, it does take some time to get used to the car. There was no much talked about boat-like effect, the car was always well planted and confidence inspiring. I didn't had to at any moment lift from the throttle, to correct the roll on the curves.

Within the city its a breeze to move the car around.

Engine

One surprising fact, not sure if other Elite owners have experienced this, the Fuel Efficiency does not fluctuate too much, whether you are doing city runs or a highway drags.

Power on available on the tap is adequate enough for my driving style. I could do decent triple digit speeds all throughout without stressing the engine too much, at 2.5k RPM in 6th gear it can do a 120kmph all day.

Brakes

Well we all have our moments when we are on the road. I was doing triple digits when all of sudden a Cow jumped out from the green median actually I was anticipating this all through out, the came to halt gorgeously and in-line with no sideways movement.

Suspension

Its very well balanced suspension, not too soft not too hard. Though, when I get over a decent size pot-hole at a 30-40kmph there is always a loud thud, not too pleasing to the ears. Once I went over a pot-hole at like a 80kmph and wipers got switched on, not sure how and why, just a one of case that I experienced.

AC

Its a chiller and the rear duct keeps my son happy in his car seat. No loss of power if felt with use of AC, for that matter in my case no loss in FE as well. Not sure what’s going on here. Anyone has any answer?

Why the FE always remains the same?

City vs Highway
AC vs Non AC

Strange.

Head Lights

Probably the only sore point in the Car. I will soon be replacing the current unit with the ones coming in the Active version, I am assuming those would be straight fit.

OEM Tires

They are serving me well, no punctures yet, not a massive road noise.

Thanks for reading through, let me know if you have any questions. Keep Revving......!!!!

some other bits...... 3M Annual Contract

I have 3M Annual Car Care plan, pics of some work being carried out.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update-img_1837.jpg  

Red Passion: My Hyundai Elite i20 Asta CRDi. EDIT, 30K Update-img_1838.jpg  

Bubby is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 15:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Polo or Elite.Elite or Polo.

I for one was ok to wait for Polo, but everyone else in the house was against the idea and then came this one liner from my wife, “after living with a Time Bomb (FIAT) for 6 years, I don’t want to live my next 6 years with another Time Bomb (VW)”, needless to say, she is an avid TBHP reader.

I was having sleepless nights, after lot of discussions and speculations we locked upon practical Elite.
Nice reviews Bubby. Even i was in a dilemma between Polo and elite and finally chose Elite because - the car will be used in rural areas hence, needed a brand service networks were better and since this was my first car, didn't want to cry about high maintenance. Will be getting my car in a weeks time(Sportz diesel) and want to thank you and say your post has helped me a lot.
ANewExperience is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 15:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Head Lights
Probably the only sore point in the Car. I will soon be replacing the current unit with the ones coming in the Active version, I am assuming those would be straight fit.
Is it a problem with the area covered or just the amount of light? How are Active headlights different than the ones you currently have?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 16:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
Nice reviews Bubby. Even i was in a dilemma between Polo and elite and finally chose Elite because - the car will be used in rural areas hence, needed a brand service networks were better and since this was my first car, didn't want to cry about high maintenance. Will be getting my car in a weeks time(Sportz diesel) and want to thank you and say your post has helped me a lot.
Many Congratulations on your new purchase, yes there are probably faster and better cars available in the market, but one can never go wrong with a practical Elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is it a problem with the area covered or just the amount of light? How are Active headlights different than the ones you currently have?
To an larger extent the problem is smaller area, the focussing is not correct. I reported the issue twice during my 1st and 2nd service but Hyundai couldn't get the simplest of focus right

Active comes with projector lights with inbuilt DLRs, so I am just hoping that a projector headlamp would do a much better job, I still have to check it for performance though.
Old 17th April 2015, 17:11   #45
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the SAME message / question across multiple threads. That counts as SPAM.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2015 at 11:10.
ANewExperience is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction