Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th June 2017, 22:32   #331
BHPian

Default Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A comprehensive review

Hello all!

I've just sold my Thar and I'm contemplating between a 2013/14 Pajero Sport or a 2010-12 Pajero SFX. Key concerns are parts availability, prohibitive maintenance costs etc.

Do let me know if you are aware of any of the above vehicles that might be available for sale!

Thanks
Shireesh
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 23:44   #332
BHPian

Default The lights upgrade: LED, HID, Osram NBU Halogen

Hello all,

Been awhile. I have recently been bitten by the upgrade bug, and am looking to upgrade my Pajero Sport's headlights. Have evaluated both HID and LEDs. Both of them are awesome solutions. I have done a fair bit of research on both, and here are the findings:
  • Human eye is best suited for bright yellow light, which is around 4300K temperature. As you go higher (say 5000K, 5500K, ++), the light gets to white and then towards blue. The best utilization is between 4300-5000K. Beyond this, while the lights look fancy, they are not as useful since a portion of the energy starts getting wasted in blue spectrum which our eyes cannot see.
  • Both LED and HID are available at multiple colour temperatures. HIDs is a slightly older, and established technology. LEDs are still evolving, but they are right now quite stable for headlight usage.

Having researched a lot over the internet, I finally found an Indian supplier who is knowledgeable as well as sells his own branded lights, which have a 1-2 year warranty. I have taken his help and have got two kits for my Pajero Sport low beam (H11 bulb size, to be fitted in the projector lamps):
  1. a 55W 4300K 5000 lumens LED light
  2. a 42W 4500K HID light

I intend to install and compare both these lights, and I will share my findings here for all of us. I currently run 55W Osram NBU (night breaker unlimited) halogen lamps in my projectors. The NBUs are about 40% brighter than the stock halogens that came with my vehicle. Today I replaced the NBUs with LED lights, and here are my findings:
  • The LEDs are easily about 25% brighter than Osram NBU (as visible to the naked eye)
  • The light colour is very similar to the Osram NBUs - close to white, warm yellow.
  • They focus pretty much the same as halogens, with a much fuller light distribution in the beam
  • With these LEDs, the throw of light is very well controlled - there is no leakage at the top and there is no glare for oncoming traffic. This is very important for me as a responsible citizen - I don't want cheap LEDs with scattered beams that blind oncoming traffic.

I have driven out in the night to test the LEDs in a heavy Bangalore rain. I must say they worked very well - no scatter of the light in the rain, and no strain to my eyes while driving as the road was brightly and evenly lit with these lights.

As of now, am very happy with these LEDs. I will be installing the HIDs to check their performance soon. The LEDs have set the bar high already - unless the HIDs really wow me, am sticking with the LEDs. More details, including supplier details, will be published as I continue the experiment.

Last edited by anshuman_v : 12th October 2017 at 23:47.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote