Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th August 2007, 13:54   #301
Senior - BHPian

FE changes with the style of driving... And City of driving...

I get the same mileage as Kishore in Bangalore. But Delhi and Mumbai roads are much better so better mileage can be expected there.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:27   #302
Senior - BHPian

A little Off-topic (in the sence, related to iVtec engine rather than Civic) -

Is Vtec or iVtec technology a hype???

If long ride rev happy FE is 9, what has Vtec achieved?

A plain uncomplicated petrol engine will surely match that figure...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 14:41   #303
BANNED

Exactly my thoughts too. Any 13xBHP engine will give similar figures. Elantra is in the same range. Could any body tell the figures for Elantra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
A little Off-topic (in the sence, related to iVtec engine rather than Civic) -

Is Vtec or iVtec technology a hype???

If long ride rev happy FE is 9, what has Vtec achieved?

A plain uncomplicated petrol engine will surely match that figure...
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 18:41   #304
Senior - BHPian

Good point, my suggestion would be to evaluate Honda City engine regular and Vtec to see, where and how the difference is created wrt a normal engine. I guess they extra 30+ bhp out of the same block using Vtec technology.

As comparing Vtec to other company engines, it will not help, as each company would have their own code name for their 'similar' technology.
Like Toyota has something like VVTI. The only thing you can compare there is the fuel efficiency in normal drive, when pushed hard, Highway drive vs the max power.

With my limited knowledge, I guess Civic VTEC provides best mileage figures and highest power & Torque amongst all the naturally aspirated 1.8 blocks, inspite of Civic being the heaviest car of all - Civic, Corolla, Elantra

More Mileage along with more Power & Torque and people ask what's Vtec
Old 7th August 2007, 18:48   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Exactly my thoughts too. Any 13xBHP engine will give similar figures. Elantra is in the same range. Could any body tell the figures for Elantra?
i just used an elantra for a while. and its a fuel guzzler. got about 6-7 in the city. but thats in full on mumbai traffic.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 18:50   #306
Senior - BHPian

Good point, my suggestion would be to evaluate Honda City engine regular and Vtec to see, where and how the difference is created wrt a normal engine. I guess they extra 30+ bhp out of the same block using Vtec technology.

As comparing Vtec to other company engines, it will not help, as each company would have their own code name for their 'similar' technology.
Like Toyota has something like VVTI. The only thing you can compare there is the fuel efficiency in normal drive, when pushed hard, Highway drive vs the max power.

With my limited knowledge, I guess Civic VTEC provides best mileage figures and highest power & Torque amongst all the naturally aspirated 1.8 blocks, inspite of Civic being the heaviest car of all - Civic, Corolla, Elantra

More Mileage along with more Power & Torque and people ask what's Vtec
Old 7th August 2007, 19:10   #307
BHPian

Guys come on technology matters i hve santro AT that also gives me around 11 to 12 kpl so will u start comparing santro and civic now.....santro is 1100cc and civic is 1800cc so in this case technology ( VTEC ) make a lot of differnce even weight wise both r very different and mind u civic is fastest of the D segment lot...
jeetu4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 20:03   #308
Senior - BHPian

Even I would love to see that technology is making a difference....and I like my NHC for the refinement of the engine...but I want to confirm that my love is not misplaced or unreasonably placed....

So pointwise:

Vtec has more to do with "generating more power out of the same size of the engine" than "FE". Is it?

And who is comparing Civic with Santro?

Also, I would have loved to believe that Civic is fastest of the D segment...but I know it's not. Skoda Octavia 1.8 TPI beats Civic in terms of sheer accelration and it's not a variable valve technology engine (at least not marketed that way...). Of course 1.8 TPI FE is less but then if we keep emotions out of this, I am afraid if any manufacturer keeps accelration (i.e. pick-up) under check, they wll easily cliam better FE...
Old 7th August 2007, 23:40   #309
Senior - BHPian

Dude, 1.8 TPI Octavia is a turbo charged engine and hence cannot be compared with a naturally aspirated one! Plonk a turbo charger in Civic and you will ťasily get 200+ BHP...

We have already discussed iVtec implementation on Civic earlier on this thread and how it is superior to existing 1.8 competitor engines.

I am sure there are threads at TBhp discussing Vtec implementation in City also.
You may also want to visit Temple of Vtec website, you will get enough details and comparative data.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th August 2007, 23:48   #310
Senior - BHPian

The Civic engine has a lot of power but it all comes really late. As with any other honda engine, there is absolutely no low end torque. Makes driving in the city pretty painful. However on highways, it really does excel if you rev it up.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 23:50   #311
Senior - BHPian

Dude, 1.8 TPI Octavia is a turbo charged engine and hence cannot be compared with a naturally aspirated one! Plonk a turbo charger in Civic and you will ťasily get 200+ BHP...

We have already discussed iVtec implementation on Civic earlier on this thread and how it is superior to existing 1.8 competitor engines.

I am sure there are threads at TBhp discussing Vtec implementation in City also.
You may also want to visit Temple of Vtec website, you will get enough details and comparative data.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th August 2007, 00:13   #312
Senior - BHPian

Mods please delete the double post.

I disagree on the power coming in very late part, the peak comes at 4200 RPM itself, though below 2500 RPM it is nothing great, I agree.
Old 8th August 2007, 14:02   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post

Hope this helps.
I have already visited all these threads and websites you listed...

By the way, who was stopping Honda from putting a turbo charger in their Civic????

BTW, I disagree with the lack of low end torque in "all Hondas"...my NHC (iDSI) has ample of low end torque...
Old 8th August 2007, 14:13   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, I disagree with the lack of low end torque in "all Hondas"...my NHC (iDSI) has ample of low end torque...
Yeah but no top end performance. The V-tec has top end but no great shakes in the low range. The idsi has good low end but struggles top end.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 14:31   #315
Senior - BHPian

Yes. That's correct.